OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:01 am
wap wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:12 pm
Good points here. Brides parents (our lose friends) are helping with paying for the wedding. They're not :waxer: by any means, but they're solidly middle class. Good, salt of the earth people. Wedding is local. Well, it's about an hour west of us so we're grabbing a hotel for the night, but it's <$150, Fairfield Inn.

Probably gonna go with $250. It feels right.
$250 sounds pretty good. I would also consider a night at a hotel very much par for the course, that wouldn’t really impact my decision. What would is people that choose to have their wedding at an exotic location that costs almost every guest for figures to attend. I can’t really complain as we did this ourselves in truth, but we also told many people not to give us gifts because We would rather have them be there and they were already spending a lot.

Thinking back to our wedding I think the average gift from a couple was about $150-$200 though. That was 2019 $ so now it would be 50% more I guess.
Agree with all your points here. Ain't nothing exotic about Maple Park or St. Charles, IL. :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:02 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:32 pm

Where is this $150 hotel you speak of?
I actually stayed in a Tru by Hilton in downtown Fort Lauderdale this week for 172+ tax. You just never know what you might find with hotels.
:dat:
Season and location dependent for sure. Mine was $143 in the middle of corn country about 50 miles from Chicago in early April. Who wants to stay there then?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:43 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 am
I'm sick of never ending doom and gloom that never comes. Time to look at things differently for my own mental health.
Here's one for you...
For as long as the USA has good credit, there will never be a big contraction, and prices of goods and services will keep going up (dollar down). I put this mental awareness note into my head a long time ago and it has been fruitful. You're likely always going to stay ahead of inflation just by owning your property and being brave enough to jump jobs when you don't like them. By moving around in your career placements as frequently as you do, your income never gets stale like it does for people who stay put. You're good fam, enjoy the wine tasting, boating, and world class view!

I'm not worried for myself or our economy in general. For every bad news thing that comes out, everyone just collectively :aintcare: and things continue to go up. And that's been going on for 6+ years now...I can list one potentially cataclysmic event every year that made no material impact on things. Might as well just board the rocket ship.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:46 am I'm obviously having a fantastic morning, how but y'all? LOL

I slept a lot yesterday, and will be coasting for the majority of the hard work behind me this week.
Credit cards and bills all paid, so I guess the only thing left hanging over me is my year end accounting paperwork. THAT, I'm not ready to thing about today.
Nice! I love the feeling of coasting, I'm hoping to pull that off a bit today and tomorrow as well.

Year end accounting paperwork sounds like :disgust: I hate paperwork.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:57 am
Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:46 am I'm obviously having a fantastic morning, how but y'all? LOL

I slept a lot yesterday, and will be coasting for the majority of the hard work behind me this week.
Credit cards and bills all paid, so I guess the only thing left hanging over me is my year end accounting paperwork. THAT, I'm not ready to thing about today.
Nice! I love the feeling of coasting, I'm hoping to pull that off a bit today and tomorrow as well.

Year end accounting paperwork sounds like :disgust: I hate paperwork.
If I ever get big enough to have my own staff, the first person I'm putting on payroll is an accountant/bookkeeper, that task sucks and I really don't want to :doit:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:56 am
Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:43 am

Here's one for you...
For as long as the USA has good credit, there will never be a big contraction, and prices of goods and services will keep going up (dollar down). I put this mental awareness note into my head a long time ago and it has been fruitful. You're likely always going to stay ahead of inflation just by owning your property and being brave enough to jump jobs when you don't like them. By moving around in your career placements as frequently as you do, your income never gets stale like it does for people who stay put. You're good fam, enjoy the wine tasting, boating, and world class view!

I'm not worried for myself or our economy in general. For every bad news thing that comes out, everyone just collectively :aintcare: and things continue to go up. And that's been going on for 6+ years now...I can list one potentially cataclysmic event every year that made no material impact on things. Might as well just board the rocket ship.
More calamity means more money printing.. prices go up. That's all there is to in IMO

Just read this *, my cottage was kind of possibly on the chopping block, but now I'm looking at a clean (edit:$650k) PROFIT post all taxes and real estate fees. Not bad for a $120k outlay. It's all funny-money, no point in looking at it any other way.

* article stating another 13% price hike expected this year..

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:21 pm This week has been kicking my ass work wise, I’m down in Fort Lauderdale, heading to Miami tomorrow, the schedule has been jammed, meeting with clients for both breakfast and lunch plus multiple meetings each day. Catching up on the office/computer work early AM and at night in the hotel.

@Teo that blows losing internet at the hotel. I must admit it would be a bitch being in a hotel sans internet whilst traveling for work, but I would just use my phone as a hot spot and STFU. Shit breaks.
:dat: it truly sucks for those who relies on the internet wfh, Ive been there too, unless they have meetings I would've just directed them to starbucks and the like. Also +1 on the hotspots, have been there and done that.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:46 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:21 pm This week has been kicking my ass work wise, I’m down in Fort Lauderdale, heading to Miami tomorrow, the schedule has been jammed, meeting with clients for both breakfast and lunch plus multiple meetings each day. Catching up on the office/computer work early AM and at night in the hotel.

@Teo that blows losing internet at the hotel. I must admit it would be a bitch being in a hotel sans internet whilst traveling for work, but I would just use my phone as a hot spot and STFU. Shit breaks.
:dat: it truly sucks for those who relies on the internet wfh, Ive been there too, unless they have meetings I would've just directed them to starbucks and the like. Also +1 on the hotspots, have been there and done that.
Apparently gov workers aren't allowed to use public wifi for security reasons....
:themoreyouknow:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Its freaking beautiful outside this morning, headed to my 6:30 am shift (working doube today due to req. time off to make up those hours), it was a nice vibe with the sunroof back at 6 am.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

@Tar ugh i too hate the admin burden of papers in my private life. Its whatever. I still have yet to do my taxes... tax deadline is april 14th. UGH

@d-plac yes, fell you 100% re: the coming reconing. But for 10 years I watched the rat wheel keep turning so I am with you in the 'who tf knows' dept.

@Tar re: property investment, yes, looking into more of this now myself. Gonna be a minor player in the Maryville slumlord game! (not really, all this shit is physically on my actual lot lol)

Speaking of that slumlord life, my hot water heater decided to start leaking last night, YAY! Good thing i was in the basement doing beer stuff. Now that I'll be getting a new one I'll be more ...proactive about changing those sacrificial anodes.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:08 am @Tar ugh i too hate the admin burden of papers in my private life. Its whatever. I still have yet to do my taxes... tax deadline is april 14th. UGH

@d-plac yes, fell you 100% re: the coming reconing. But for 10 years I watched the rat wheel keep turning so I am with you in the 'who tf knows' dept.

@Tar re: property investment, yes, looking into more of this now myself. Gonna be a minor player in the Maryville slumlord game! (not really, all this shit is physically on my actual lot lol)

Speaking of that slumlord life, my hot water heater decided to start leaking last night, YAY! Good thing i was in the basement doing beer stuff. Now that I'll be getting a new one I'll be more ...proactive about changing those sacrificial anodes.
The gov spending game hitting new highs, if you can handle uncomfortably high interest rates it might be a good way to inflation hedge. :iono: ?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:56 am

More calamity means more money printing.. prices go up. That's all there is to in IMO

Just read this *, my cottage was kind of possibly on the chopping block, but now I'm looking at a clean (edit:$650k) PROFIT post all taxes and real estate fees. Not bad for a $120k outlay. It's all funny-money, no point in looking at it any other way.

* article stating another 13% price hike expected this year..

:impressive:

We're experiencing the same up here in TC. I figured it would fall off by now, but nope. Doesn't matter because we're not selling our house, but good to know the equity is there in theory.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 am Its freaking beautiful outside this morning, headed to my 6:30 am shift (working doube today due to req. time off to make up those hours), it was a nice vibe with the sunroof back at 6 am.
:jelly:

We got a surprise snowstorm. Yay?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:39 am

We're experiencing the same up here in TC. I figured it would fall off by now, but nope. Doesn't matter because we're not selling our house, but good to know the equity is there in theory.
[/quote]

What's impressive to me is anyone's desire to buy a place for $1.2MM when it was worth less than half of that three years ago, and some pretty nifty interest rate hikes on the immediate horizon. I don't try to understand it, simply riding the :fullretard: wave.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:46 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:39 am

What's impressive to me is anyone's desire to buy a place for $1.2MM when it was worth less than half of that three years ago, and some pretty nifty interest rate hikes on the immediate horizon. I don't try to understand it, simply riding the :fullretard: wave.

This is why I think this is just the new normal. Things will just keep getting more expensive forever, because people keep getting more money forever (salary, stock market gainz, real estate gainz, whatever). It's just the way things are now.

I read an article in our local newspaper about the real estate market. Most of what's driving up prices are cash offers with quick close and no contingencies. $1M+ transactions of properties sight unseen are common here somehow now. Absolute insanity how much money people have now, and continue to have regardless of the geopolitical events, global pandemics, etc.

I don't have that kind of cash because I'm an idiot and :eeyore: kept me from taking risks I should have taken in hindsight. I'm just going to :aintcare: it and accept being poor and be grateful that I live in an area that I couldn't dream of affording now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Around 2017-2019, gov had this coordinated effort to reduce international real-estate investments along with increased interest rates, and the real estate prices stopped going up for that duration. Not sure if that's a tread y'all saw in high demand real estate markets state side, but it is probably what will happen again for the next two or three years. There might even be a little bursting action and like a 10% pull back from new highs this year or next, that's when I'd be shopping for a second property if that's what I had on my mind.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:58 am Around 2017-2019, gov had this coordinated effort to reduce international real-estate investments along with increased interest rates, and the real estate prices stopped going up for that duration. Not sure if that's a tread y'all saw in high demand real estate markets state side, but it is probably what will happen again for the next two or three years. There might even be a little bursting action and like a 10% pull back from new highs this year or next, that's when I'd be shopping for a second property if that's what I had on my mind.
No clue about that, but I don't think the US did anything. I know a big driver of prices in the Pay Area was/is Chinese foreign investment. Nobody international gives a shit about northern Meatchicken (other than maybe access to the great lakes), I can promise that.

In our area, I think it's just a lot of boomers that have more money than they know what to do with now that the stock market will just go up forever and are YOLOING on retirement homes. It's insane some of the houses being renovated or built, and it's always olds.

There's a high end restaurant 10 mins from our house on the water. On Wednesdays, they do a "burger special" in the bar, with what might be the best burger in the area and a glass of decent cab for $17. We go every Wednesday, and it's been a great way to meet our neighbors since most seem to go. Last night we knew everyone in the bar, all olds. It's a mix of newer and older residents, but hearing them talk about their real estate investments are insane... MAJOR :waxer: going on. One couple last night said they bought their 22 year old son an $800k house on the water that's a "fixer upper" to teach him the value of money. If he fails they claim "it'll be worth $1M in a year anyway, so just flip it". :impressive:

Reality is completely different to these people, but it's based on a foundation that everything is changed forever and prices will never drop again. There's zero talk of downturns or need to conserve, it's all about getting on the rocket to the moon. It's been going on for so long, it's hard to argue otherwise at this point. We bought way below our means so we can afford it with ANY employment situation. Once again, I was an idiot. The bunker is too small to be worth big money, and I bet at best we'd break even if we had to sell it after how much we have to dump into it. Meanwhile, if we had doubled our budget and bought a big 600k house, it would be worth double now.

:ohwell: doesn't matter if we don't move.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Remember when the :nuke: was that kid on this forum that wouldn’t take our advice on how to fix his Volkswagen?

Grundle remembers.

Not his name though. What was that weirdo’s name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth

datgrundle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:51 pm Remember when the :nuke: was that kid on this forum that wouldn’t take our advice on how to fix his Volkswagen?

Grundle remembers.

:crang: ?
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:55 pm
datgrundle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:51 pm Remember when the :nuke: was that kid on this forum that wouldn’t take our advice on how to fix his Volkswagen?

Grundle remembers.

Yep, that would be ol' Crang (aka Nuggstein) himself and the borked crangshaft on his Mk6..
He of the girlfriend/car/mom/sister/life woes and Zil backstabbing.

He was a :fullretard: :derp: but man, did he bring the :lolol: content. I still sorta wish he'd drop by...
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:55 pm
Yep, that would be ol' Crang (aka Nuggstein) himself and the borked crangshaft on his Mk6..

He was a :fullretard: :derp: but man, did he bring the :lolol: content. I still sorta wish he'd drop by...
Yea, he really delivered the content. Morbid curiosity makes me wonder where he's at, but that's about it. When he backstabbed Zil, he died to me.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:51 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm

Yea, he really delivered the content. Morbid curiosity makes me wonder where he's at, but that's about it. When he backstabbed Zil, he died to me.
Yeah, that was kinda unforgiveable.

Still kinda want him to come back, :doe: :lolol: He was a great punching bag. :ban:
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Detroit wrote:
wap wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm :dat:

But were we really that surprised that he did that to Zil?

adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

What's the story of :crang:? I assume well before my time here haha.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
wap

adoob wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm What's the story of :crang:? I assume well before my time here haha.
Behold. 160 pages of :mindblown: :derp: , :rage: , and :lolol: in all it's :crang: glory.

https://datforumdoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=633

It's really worth a read.

Notice the first 3 replies were for him to check his oil. Then notice what he wouldn't do.

Fucking :crang:
Last edited by wap on Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.