What do you think is the proper way to use money on everyday life?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 am
Melon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 am

Right, it was more of a thought experiment that started out with the idea of getting to meet you on one of my Austin trips.
My best friend moved there this year. Bought a nice place for 295k in Leander and kept his Bay Area pay. You’d think that’s the :unicorn: scenario. But honestly I didn’t like it there... there is nothing to do in the summer. It’s 100F for 100 days.

now note I specifically said Austin proper he went 35/40 miles outside of it to save money. Austin proper and NICE is pricy, now everyone’s definition of nice differs.

And ill be back again in the spring. To see if the first two times I have been to Austin were :wrong:
If you wanna grab a beer or coffee let me know. We can also drive some nice hill country winery backroads.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 am
My best friend moved there this year. Bought a nice place for 295k in Leander and kept his Bay Area pay. You’d think that’s the :unicorn: scenario. But honestly I didn’t like it there... there is nothing to do in the summer. It’s 100F for 100 days.

now note I specifically said Austin proper he went 35/40 miles outside of it to save money. Austin proper and NICE is pricy, now everyone’s definition of nice differs.

And ill be back again in the spring. To see if the first two times I have been to Austin were :wrong:
If you wanna grab a beer or coffee let me know. We can also drive some nice hill country winery backroads.
You’re in Austin?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am

You’re in Austin?
San Antonio, like an hour fifteen away.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 am This kind of ties into my midlife crisis thread...the feels are real.

We've been living a life where we max out the 401k, maintain ~12 mos of expenses in cash, pay extra toward the mortgage, then just blow the rest on whatever we want. The funny thing there is we don't budget at all, and still end up saving a bit each month. But we don't buy big ticket items (other than car stupidity, but that's going to calm down significantly). I'd love to blow $2k on 35's and wheels for my truck, but don't because :scrooge: Same with buying another car...the happiness just isn't there for that stuff to me anymore.The big ticket things we spend on are travelling and experiences mostly, and even then we're happier just towing our $2k popup glamper around the state of Michigan. We spend a lot on booze and restaurants...but that's what we both enjoy so whatever. We also have a lot of really nice furniture in the house, and like to spend some money on house updates...which in our case will end up paying itself back if we decide to bail.

I think the bigger issue is the rat race debate. A $7k mortgage is insane to me. That kind of commitment is immense and just can't imagine a scenario where spending that much on a house is worth the happiness return I'd get. Hell, We're paying $3k/mo for our house (mortgage, taxes, insurance) and that's with throwing an extra $300/mo at the mortgage. I sometimes think that's too much to spend on a house even. Fortunately, I love my house, and get the right happiness return from it...sometimes.

The rat race has worn on me significantly. I hate my current professional situation, and my entire industry is fucked. I'm finding ways to improve my job satisfaction by going rogue on projects, but that could end up in me being jobless eventually (breaking a lot of process, going around my bosses to do things, etc). Which I'm OK with because I'm over it all. A kick in the pants to make a drastic change like moving to a simpler life is something I'd oddly welcome.

What would I do if I moved? That's the biggest challenge.
Now disregard 7k because that’s relative to income levels.

You live in a self admittedly nice place, in an area that you desire. I don’t ... it’s been an issue for years for me. Imagine doing what you do and coming home to :mahtroy: crotchfruit in the streets and fking losers all around you... what do you do ?

Continue on this path for years and watch the bank account grow by 6 figures a year while mixing with this type of shit or actually get a nice place ?
No, I wouldn't continue that. I did it when we first moved to MI and lasted less than 2 years. You need to like where you live IMO.

Honestly man, you shit on any other scenario that isn't buying a nice house in SF. You can afford it, just do that and be done with it. Life is too short.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:47 am
Honestly man, you shit on any other scenario that isn't buying a nice house in SF. You can afford it, just do that and be done with it. Life is too short.
:dat:

:doit: man!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 am
Now disregard 7k because that’s relative to income levels.

You live in a self admittedly nice place, in an area that you desire. I don’t ... it’s been an issue for years for me. Imagine doing what you do and coming home to :mahtroy: crotchfruit in the streets and fking losers all around you... what do you do ?

Continue on this path for years and watch the bank account grow by 6 figures a year while mixing with this type of shit or actually get a nice place ?
No, I wouldn't continue that. I did it when we first moved to MI and lasted less than 2 years. You need to like where you live IMO.

Seems like that’s what I’m approaching. I waited for 5+ years and it doesn’t seem like this is the way to go. Is all I’m saying I guess. Prices are not going down... no outsmarting the hoards , gotta join em.

I really like my job right now, things are stable enough for 2 years as far as I can see. You can’t predict further out than that. It’s just a fact of life
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 am
wap wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 am
Include health care in your $ saving calculus is all I'm saying.
:notwrong:

or plan on flying out to another country annually to pay in cash for the same services.
I know people that do this. Even factoring in air fare and other expenses it ends up being cheaper for them to go to Europe every couple of years for treatments, medication, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:57 am

Seems like that’s what I’m approaching. I waited for 5+ years and it doesn’t seem like this is the way to go. Is all I’m saying I guess. Prices are not going down... no outsmarting the hoards , gotta join em.

I really like my job right now, things are stable enough for 2 years as far as I can see. You can’t predict further out than that. It’s just a fact of life
Yep. Just :doit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am
wap wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 am
Include health care in your $ saving calculus is all I'm saying.
It’s not a thing for us. And if Things go sour 7 figures go out the window so there is no point
What's not a thing for you? Potential future health issues? Don't make the mistake that many young, healthy people make. You will NOT be healthy forever. Things will come up that will be costly and you should account for that in your savings metrics is all I'm saying.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:10 pm Man, seems like a lot of people across different age groups are coming to the same realization at the same time: The rat race is questionable.

It's certainly a sign that things are not well.
Well..."a lot" based on the DFD sample isn't "a lot" in the world overall. I work with plenty people our age that are cranking out crotchfruit, have a big house in the burbs, toys, tons of debt to support it all, and :aintcare: love it. They bitch about work in the normal ways, but don't seem to have any issue with the rat race. They just take it as a fact of life and :aintcare:

We're a special bunch. Especially those of us who have passed on kids. That single decision is a significant one that really opens up a whole world of different thinking.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:11 pm
It’s not a thing for us. And if Things go sour 7 figures go out the window so there is no point
What's not a thing for you? Potential future health issues? Don't make the mistake that many young, healthy people make. You will NOT be healthy forever. Things will come up that will be costly and you should account for that in your savings metrics is all I'm saying.
That's why I'm socking away some money into my HSA...have for 5 or so years now. I used to use it to pay medical bills until I realized that if I don't, I should have a really nice chunk to pay for major health issues when they come up later. Since you can invest HSA funds, it's a really great place to put cash for the future.

That and going to the dr annually. I was put on a statin last year to lower my cholesterol. My dr. said by doing it now when I'm young, it'll pay dividends for my cardiovascular health when I'm older. Health insurance even covers it 100% because it's viewed as a critical preventative step. So for free.99 and the "inconvenience" of taking a tiny pill once a day, I'll have less issues later. Sold.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm Well..."a lot" based on the DFD sample isn't "a lot" in the world overall. I work with plenty people our age that are cranking out crotchfruit, have a big house in the burbs, toys, tons of debt to support it all, and :aintcare: love it. They bitch about work in the normal ways, but don't seem to have any issue with the rat race. They just take it as a fact of life and :aintcare:

We're a special bunch. Especially those of us who have passed on kids. That single decision is a significant one that really opens up a whole world of different thinking.
No, I meant a lot of people I know, across different age groups, and not just on DFD.

It's interesting to see.
When you basically can't even have a chance at winning without killing yourself for decades - and even then the odds are against you - there's a lot of motivation to move the goalposts and make up a new game that you can actually win.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:16 pm
Well..."a lot" based on the DFD sample isn't "a lot" in the world overall. I work with plenty people our age that are cranking out crotchfruit, have a big house in the burbs, toys, tons of debt to support it all, and :aintcare: love it. They bitch about work in the normal ways, but don't seem to have any issue with the rat race. They just take it as a fact of life and :aintcare:

No, I meant a lot of people I know, across different age groups, and not just on DFD.

It's interesting to see.
Oh really?

I only know three people that I've been able to have these discussions with other than here. One couple that we met when we lived in Detroit and they :nope: 'd out to my promised land (Traverse City, MI) a few years ago and can't stop raving about the move. Then a dude in his early 50's that I work with who's :scrooge: AF but ready to retire as soon as his last kid is out of high school (3 years).

Everyone else I know is trying to accumulate more...spend more...make more...etc.

:disgust:

One of my close friends is nearing 60...he was a high powered VP at an auto supplier and was laid off earlier this year. He's a few years from retirement, so he just got a simpler job to ride out the rest of his work. His wife went :triggered: at the drop in income and he just started a new job at a new company where he's in charge of a bunch of shit, working non stop, and miserable. "just a few more years" he says. I keep telling him :butwhy:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm

That's why I'm socking away some money into my HSA...have for 5 or so years now. I used to use it to pay medical bills until I realized that if I don't, I should have a really nice chunk to pay for major health issues when they come up later. Since you can invest HSA funds, it's a really great place to put cash for the future.

That and going to the dr annually. I was put on a statin last year to lower my cholesterol. My dr. said by doing it now when I'm young, it'll pay dividends for my cardiovascular health when I'm older. Health insurance even covers it 100% because it's viewed as a critical preventative step. So for free.99 and the "inconvenience" of taking a tiny pill once a day, I'll have less issues later. Sold.
Cut out booze and lift heavy. Dat long term physical HSA. :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:21 pm
[user not found] wrote:

It's interesting to see.
When you basically can't even have a chance at winning without killing yourself for decades - and even then the odds are against you - there's a lot of motivation to move the goalposts and make up a new game that you can actually win.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

"Winning = happiness". Someone happy on $40k a year living in a tiny house in the middle of nowhere doing whatever is winning just as much as someone killing themselves to make millions to live in a giant house and buy a bunch of shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm

I do wonder how much less I'd drink if I had a different job that was less stress and/or bullshit.

Stress has a significant impact on physical health.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:29 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm

I do wonder how much less I'd drink if I had a different job that was less stress and/or bullshit.

Stress has such a huge impact on physical health, often overlooked I feel like.

I’m trying my best to keep as low stress as possible, because I’m sure it’ll skyrocket in 12-14 years. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Stress has such a huge impact on physical health, often overlooked I feel like.

I’m trying my best to keep as low stress as possible, because I’m sure it’ll skyrocket in 12-14 years. :lol:
I'm sure it will for you.
max225

I am saying we currently have health insurance and plan on having it for the foreseeable future. I can't afford to pay out of pocket, i don't think anyone can. Period. I don't make that kind of money.

My mom died of cancer. her bills were 1.5M for a bunch of BULLSHIT. Am I to plan for that? I can't afford $500 a pill aspirin and $100k a pop CT scans. That's how much shit costs out here... 30k a night in the hospital? sure... do I plan for that? If I am croaking I don't GAF what happens to my money, no point in saving for that.

What does one "budget" for health care when the costs of that are going up by 20-30% a year... ?
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:28 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:21 pm When you basically can't even have a chance at winning without killing yourself for decades - and even then the odds are against you - there's a lot of motivation to move the goalposts and make up a new game that you can actually win.

"Winning = happiness". Someone happy on $40k a year living in a tiny house in the middle of nowhere doing whatever is winning just as much as someone killing themselves to make millions to live in a giant house and buy a bunch of shit.
:dat: is very true.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
wap wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:11 pm What's not a thing for you? Potential future health issues? Don't make the mistake that many young, healthy people make. You will NOT be healthy forever. Things will come up that will be costly and you should account for that in your savings metrics is all I'm saying.
I am saying we currently have health insurance and plan on having it for the foreseeable future. I can't afford to pay out of pocket, i don't think anyone can. Period. I don't make that kind of money.

My mom died of cancer. her bills were 1.5M for a bunch of BULLSHIT. Am I to plan for that? I can't afford $500 a pill aspirin and $100k a pop CT scans. That's how much shit costs out here... 30k a night in the hospital? sure... do I plan for that? If I am croaking I don't GAF what happens to my money, no point in saving for that.

What does one "budget" for health care when the costs of that are going up by 20-30% a year... ?
For a couple our age, around $50k a year for healthcare when we hit 55-65.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:28 pm

I'd take the tiny house in the middle of nowhere anyday.

Sounds like heaven.
This is what I'm realizing myself.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm
max225 wrote:

That’s not a problem
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm
max225 wrote:

Are you assuming no Medicare?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:23 pm Hey Y'all,

man. buying into the pay area, idk if I could say it's a good choice.

I'd say this...if you plan to stay at least 5 years, have the money and reasonable job security, do it using as little of your own money as possible, unless you can afford something in cash.
brain go brrrrrr