NEEKs 300s V8

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

That ZF 8-speed is a solid trans, no doubt...for an auto. :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:That ZF 8-speed is a solid trans, no doubt...for an auto. :disgust:
I'll reiterate for the eight millionth time that I found it disappointing. It's a solid unit for sure, but at the end of the day, it's still a slush box. Internet hype got my dreams too lofty. I'd much rather have a VW DSGay.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote:That ZF 8-speed is a solid trans, no doubt...for an auto. :disgust:
I'll reiterate for the eight millionth time that I found it disappointing. It's a solid unit for sure, but at the end of the day, it's still a slush box. Internet hype got my dreams too lofty. I'd much rather have a VW DSGay.
Right, slushbox gonna slushbox. Can't get around engineering.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote:
:dat:

IMO the Mazda 6AT was a bit better. The ZF8 was on par with the 6AT used in the Mini Cooper. :iono:
It wasn't bad. But it wasn't :mindblown: like all the internet hype would have you believe. Better than most autos out there I'll give it that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: I'll reiterate for the eight millionth time that I found it disappointing. It's a solid unit for sure, but at the end of the day, it's still a slush box. Internet hype got my dreams too lofty. I'd much rather have a VW DSGay.

IMO the Mazda 6AT was a bit better. The ZF8 was on par with the 6AT used in the Mini Cooper. :iono:
It wasn't bad. But it wasn't :mindblown: like all the internet hype would have you believe. Better than most autos out there I'll give it that.
I agree, I thought the 3/6's trans was really good for an auto. I really like both of those cars a lot, if I needed a reliable :derp: mobile to commute in or something, it would probably be one of those.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: :dat:

I agree, I thought the 3/6's trans was really good for an auto. I really like both of those cars a lot, if I needed a reliable :derp: mobile to commute in or something, it would probably be one of those.
If I were buying an automatic something or another I'd want it to behave just like the 3S did. Sporty in sport mode, quick lock up in any mode so no TC float, no gear hunting, and very quick shifts when requested by the paddles.

The transmission in my GF's Tiguan is horrific. Would not want something like that. The ZF8 was better than that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The ZF8 is good, but it's just that, a good auto, nothing special about it.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote:The ZF8 is good, but it's just that, a good auto, nothing special about it.

Left to its own devices, the ZF8 is fantastic.

When you try to shift it... :nope:
I don't know how many you guys have driven, mine shifts just fine. I can't tell a difference between it and the dsgay in my turd. Yea it has gotten that good.

It really depends on the application and programming though. It was noticeably slower in the charger I drove. But still good.

If there was a dsgay upcharge vs this transmission I am not sure I'd pay the extra money.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

maxtdi wrote:
[user not found] wrote: :dat:

I don't know how many you guys have driven, mine shifts just fine. I can't tell a difference between it and the dsgay in my turd. Yea it has gotten that good.

It really depends on the application and programming though. It was noticeably slower in the charger I drove. But still good.

If there was a dsgay upcharge vs this transmission I am not sure I'd pay the extra money.
It's not really the speed of shifts that gets to me... more the number of gears and slow response time to manual input, stuff like that. IIRC I've only driven it in FCA products though.
max225

D Griff wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

It's not really the speed of shifts that gets to me... more the number of gears and slow response time to manual input, stuff like that. IIRC I've only driven it in FCA products though.
My gear shifts are pretty much instant, there is no hesitation after i pull the paddles. The car also has different driving modes and in some it literally bangs the gears.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

maxtdi wrote:
D Griff wrote: It's not really the speed of shifts that gets to me... more the number of gears and slow response time to manual input, stuff like that. IIRC I've only driven it in FCA products though.
My gear shifts are pretty much instant, there is no hesitation after i pull the paddles. The car also has different driving modes and in some it literally bangs the gears.
That's legit... that paddle lag is a huge complaint I have with any autos... With a V8 it doesn't matter too much, but sometimes you really need to shift on your own. In Costa Rica we had this slow as hell Suzuki Vitara and you really needed all of the gears with the steep up and downgrades, fortunately it had paddles that responded in an ok-ish manor.
max225

D Griff wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
That's legit... that paddle lag is a huge complaint I have with any autos... With a V8 it doesn't matter too much, but sometimes you really need to shift on your own. In Costa Rica we had this slow as hell Suzuki Vitara and you really needed all of the gears with the steep up and downgrades, fortunately it had paddles that responded in an ok-ish manor.
Paddle lag is really bad on 5 speed Honda products ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

maxtdi wrote:
D Griff wrote: That's legit... that paddle lag is a huge complaint I have with any autos... With a V8 it doesn't matter too much, but sometimes you really need to shift on your own. In Costa Rica we had this slow as hell Suzuki Vitara and you really needed all of the gears with the steep up and downgrades, fortunately it had paddles that responded in an ok-ish manor.
That's why I liked the DSGay a lot, no paddle lag and the engine braking/non slush feel of direct drive... I don't really care all that much about shift speeds as long as they're reasonable, I'm not racing anyone.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

maxtdi wrote:
[user not found] wrote: :dat:

+1 ZF8 is way better than DSG. They can keep it. M235i with the ZF8 is sweet. I got zero issues with having the auto in my BMW. Zero.
Punchagoat
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Vape

D Griff wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
That's why I liked the DSGay a lot, no paddle lag and the engine braking/non slush feel of direct drive... I don't really care all that much about shift speeds as long as they're reasonable, I'm not racing anyone.
All of us are racing death.

PAPA BLESS
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

D Griff wrote:
Oh no doubt DSG is better. DCT rules. I wish the 300 had one.

Currently on FAPatalk
*reserved for no content*
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
D Griff wrote: It's not really the speed of shifts that gets to me... more the number of gears and slow response time to manual input, stuff like that. IIRC I've only driven it in FCA products though.
Agree. When I use paddles, it's fast enough. 250ms is not slow. As car homos like we all are, we always want the best in every car. But for a mainstream sedan with a V8 the transmission is just fine. Yes, it's an auto. But it's a pretty Damn good one. No complaints here.

Currently on FAPatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:neek: is a :gay: :pussy:

Real men have :manuel:
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote::neek: is a :gay: :pussy:

Very true, but I've just given up on trying to impress men with my pedal count.

Currently on FAPatalk
max225

Real men have horses
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

NEEK wrote:

Currently on FAPatalk
:sissyfight:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

maxtdi wrote:

Real men have horses
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

NEEK wrote:

Currently on FAPatalk
Instead you just focus on your post count. :neek:
:therapist:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Punchagoat wrote:
D Griff wrote: That's why I liked the DSGay a lot, no paddle lag and the engine braking/non slush feel of direct drive... I don't really care all that much about shift speeds as long as they're reasonable, I'm not racing anyone.
All of us are racing death.

Hint - Death wins............
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Calvinball wrote:
NEEK wrote: Very true, but I've just given up on trying to impress men with my pedal count.

Currently on FAPatalk
Instead you just focus on your post count. :neek:
:iswydt: :lolol: