IX-Lemon Life.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:00 pm

Yeah it is, plus lots of uninsured/unlicensed drivers to worry about. I figured that CA might have similar problems/costs. Our insurance tripled moving from NY to FL. Home insurance is also insane but that's another thread.
Yea I was looking for costs of that ? #wrong thread but I was looking around florida... just curious about "hidden" costs. Is it that due to the roofing scam that everyone runs? At least according to what I can find, no one actually pays for a new roof in florida because "insurance". Even due to age etc.
Roofing and windows and HVAC I think are the big ones, but yeah there are teams of salespeople who have lawyers and contractors on board to make insurance companies spend tons of money on claims. It's a whole industry of scammers ruining things. :disgust:

It's around $1000/yr per $100k of house for insurance, plus another $2k for property taxes in our "low tax" state. We pay basically $10k/yr combined for those on a $350k house. There are cheaper areas but nobody wants to live in them.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:11 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Yea I was looking for costs of that ? #wrong thread but I was looking around florida... just curious about "hidden" costs. Is it that due to the roofing scam that everyone runs? At least according to what I can find, no one actually pays for a new roof in florida because "insurance". Even due to age etc.
Roofing and windows and HVAC I think are the big ones, but yeah there are teams of salespeople who have lawyers and contractors on board to make insurance companies spend tons of money on claims. It's a whole industry of scammers ruining things. :disgust:

It's around $1000/yr per $100k of house for insurance, plus another $2k for property taxes in our "low tax" state. We pay basically $10k/yr combined for those on a $350k house. There are cheaper areas but nobody wants to live in them.
Is the prop tax impacted by one time fees that are not house dependent ? I.E a $500 per house to sewer connection... so if you have a 100k house it's huge... but if you live in a 10M mansion you give 0 fks... I noticed some of this is an issue in places when looking for homes.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

There are a few of those but they're very small, it's mostly just :waxer: per market value at least in this area. Not sure how much different Miami is besides having higher sticker prices.
max225

TY for clarifying. I really like the ears and eyes on the ground from other states. It really helps paint a much fuller picture than articles on the internet.

:themoreyouknow:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm TY for clarifying. I really like the ears and eyes on the ground from other states. It really helps paint a much fuller picture than articles on the internet.

It is indeed interesting how variable costs are. CA is interestingly cheap in a few ways (seemingly property tax?) but :waxer: for real estate and fuel.

FL I think has the highest insurance rates in the US. NC also has no fault :bs: but I pay $1100/year for full coverage for us on both cars. Looking at a lot of this stuff I guess we have it pretty good in NC, if you're willing to live not in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) you can also pay quite a bit less in property taxes but I'm not really into the backwoods life.
max225

Back to the question at hand... here are all the front runners:

EVs:
ID4 (big maybe... but the price point of 50k+ and the lack of want from everyone makes it unappealing)
I3 (if prices move below 25k... approaching quickly)
M3 (if there are new incentives and price moves)
MY (if there are new incentives and price moves)
MX (if used prices move below 6 figures)

Non EVs:
GLC43 20+ once prices move below NEW for CPO
SQ5 21+ once prices move below 50k for CPO
Macan S 21+ once prices move below NEW for CPO
Cayenne 20+ once prices return to normal... (getting there quick)

I guess I am back to the waiting game here...

Anything else I am missing... I just added the Macan as it's an interesting vehicle for the woman/myself.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm TY for clarifying. I really like the ears and eyes on the ground from other states. It really helps paint a much fuller picture than articles on the internet.

:word:

I've been surprised by how not cheap to live most places have been for me, in completely different ways for each place. Only KY turned out to actually be cheap.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:29 pm

It is indeed interesting how variable costs are. CA is interestingly cheap in a few ways (seemingly property tax?) but :waxer: for real estate and fuel.

FL I think has the highest insurance rates in the US. NC also has no fault :bs: but I pay $1100/year for full coverage for us on both cars. Looking at a lot of this stuff I guess we have it pretty good in NC, if you're willing to live not in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) you can also pay quite a bit less in property taxes but I'm not really into the backwoods life.
There's a lot of coast, and I bet you could live pretty well on the coast in SC, GA, and on the gulf in the destination cities in AL.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:32 pm

I've been surprised by how not cheap to live most places have been for me, in completely different ways for each place. Only KY turned out to actually be cheap.
I hear/see TX being REALLY affordable as well. Anywhere outside of Austin. no income tax... :waxer: prop taxes but home values that are super low... $2 gas... 10 cent per KW or less for electricity.... cheap ass garbage pickup...

BUT.... It's hell on earth for 3-4 months out of the year where you sit inside the house with AC blasting and come out at 8pm...
Last edited by max225 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:34 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:32 pm

I hear/see TY being REALLY affordable as well. Anywhere outside of Austin. $20 gas... no income tax... :waxer: prop taxes but home values that are super low... $2 gas... 10 cent per KW or less for electricity.... cheap ass garbage pickup...

BUT.... It's hell on earth for 3-4 months out of the year where you sit inside the house with AC blasting and come out at 8pm...
I would be more concerned by the TX winter if you're coming from CA, but it's also a huge state with a lot of different climates. Could be interesting at least somewhere.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:34 pm

I hear/see TY being REALLY affordable as well. Anywhere outside of Austin. $20 gas... no income tax... :waxer: prop taxes but home values that are super low... $2 gas... 10 cent per KW or less for electricity.... cheap ass garbage pickup...

I would be more concerned by the TX winter if you're coming from CA, but it's also a huge state with a lot of different climates. Could be interesting at least somewhere.
I am mostly concerned by the random rainstorms... my buddy had his brand new roof damaged by orange sized hail... multiple flooding events a year... I visited texas 4 times...

all 4 times there was a random "once in a lifetime" storm.. that either knocked out power, submerged roads or delayed flights... fucking nuts. And the the weird part is... the day after it's like nothing ever happened ... blue sky and sunshine...

Weather in texas is BRUTAL. And as you mentioned... now its the random winter storms also.
max225

Has anyone here driven a GLC with the supercharged V6 and or the Turbo 6 on the Macan? But the V8 is too big and the I4 is too :flaccid:

I am weird... but I sort of am starting to hate on V6s due to their sound and generally unbalanced nature. :wap:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:45 pm Has anyone here driven a GLC with the supercharged V6 and or the Turbo 6 on the Macan? But the V8 is too big and the I4 is too :flaccid:

I am weird... but I sort of am starting to hate on V6s due to their sound and generally unbalanced nature. :wap:
If the Macan S shared the same single turbo 3.0L that the Audi products use then I've driven a S4 with it. I thought it sounded appropriate. You liked the X3: base, but I don't remember your thoughts about the X3 40 but having not driven the GLC or X3 I like the X3 interior more.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:45 pm Has anyone here driven a GLC with the supercharged V6 and or the Turbo 6 on the Macan? But the V8 is too big and the I4 is too :flaccid:

If the Macan S shared the same single turbo 3.0L that the Audi products use then I've driven a S4 with it. I thought it sounded appropriate. You liked the X3: base, but I don't remember your thoughts about the X3 40 but having not driven the GLC or X3 I like the X3 interior more.
Yea X3 base was great... but would be nice to have something slightly more upmarket. Also :tits: kept bitching about the seats in that one... we did spend 12 hrs in one sitting in there so I am sure that didn't help. I think just bmws in general are not under consideration as she seems a bit annoyed with our mini experience and dealers being certifiable rapists. That said... MB/Audi may be same... but :tits: going to :tits:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah that's a tough spot to be in. The Benz probably would feel a little chintzy compared to the others, and with a new one probably coming very soon the value might be affected. Also the fact that lumbar adjustment for the passenger is optional on BMW probably didn't help in that rental.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Statistics show wealthy Americans like wagons. Merc and Audi offer "lifted" versions. (So does Volvo but the poor reliability isn't even a question)
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm Statistics show wealthy Americans like wagons. Merc and Audi offer "lifted" versions. (So does Volvo but the poor reliability isn't even a question)
Wagons would be fine. But at that point i'd rather sedan. I don't want the hatch, but I do want the higher driving position. I know this is a :wrong: way of looking at it... but that's the primary reason to look at cross overs at the moment. Given that most cars are trucks/suvs on the road it's really annoying to drive at night here... you literally can't see shit in our area of residence...as they are 2 lane roads with no dividers and fancy LEDS scorching your retinas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Everyone could look down into your over flowing pockets
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:21 pm Everyone could look down into your over flowing pockets
:iono: that would be keeping the TSX. :lol: the cost of ownershit is ridiculously low on that... i think hell the registration + taxes on the "new" EV would likely pay for 4 years of gas on the Crapura... I put on a new set of tires for $540 for yokohamas... they will last 80k miles as well... like the last set... EVs going through tires every 30k and they are expensive af.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:41 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:37 pm

I am mostly concerned by the random rainstorms... my buddy had his brand new roof damaged by orange sized hail... multiple flooding events a year... I visited texas 4 times...

all 4 times there was a random "once in a lifetime" storm.. that either knocked out power, submerged roads or delayed flights... fucking nuts. And the the weird part is... the day after it's like nothing ever happened ... blue sky and sunshine...

Weather in texas is BRUTAL. And as you mentioned... now its the random winter storms also.
Eh, not really. I have spent at least six months of my life in this shithole state (currently in Dallas) and for the most part the weather is reasonably nice in much of the state. Pretty mild winters where you get one or two ice storms a year and you just don't drive for a couple of days then it melts. It's hot in the summer, sure, so is everywhere in the US that isn't on the Pacific.

I won't be one to defend TX, I wouldn't ever live here, but the weather is certainly better than say the Northeast or Midwest. It's actually beautiful in Dallas right now, full on fall colors, very low humidity, and the high today was 80F.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:16 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm Statistics show wealthy Americans like wagons. Merc and Audi offer "lifted" versions. (So does Volvo but the poor reliability isn't even a question)
Wagons would be fine. But at that point i'd rather sedan. I don't want the hatch, but I do want the higher driving position. I know this is a :wrong: way of looking at it... but that's the primary reason to look at cross overs at the moment. Given that most cars are trucks/suvs on the road it's really annoying to drive at night here... you literally can't see shit in our area of residence...as they are 2 lane roads with no dividers and fancy LEDS scorching your retinas.
:dat:

I hate the higher driving position but the fact is almost everyone else likes it and has damn :waxer: headlights that blind us poors in regular cars.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:41 pm

Eh, not really. I have spent at least six months of my life in this shithole state (currently in Dallas) and for the most part the weather is reasonably nice in much of the state. Pretty mild winters where you get one or two ice storms a year and you just don't drive for a couple of days then it melts. It's hot in the summer, sure, so is everywhere in the US that isn't on the Pacific.

I won't be one to defend TX, I wouldn't ever live here, but the weather is certainly better than say the Northeast or Midwest. It's actually beautiful in Dallas right now, full on fall colors, very low humidity, and the high today was 80F.
Yes there are decent days. But I’ll agree to disagree. I would never live there because of the weather. From my experience it’s not worth the cheap cost of entry.

I am not one to mind snow so for me places like northeast are vastly better as far as climate is concerned. So I totally get the Michigan/etc lifestyle but Chicago does get “too cold” at points which is borderline life threatening.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:04 pm

Yes there are decent days. But I’ll agree to disagree. I would never live there because of the weather. From my experience it’s not worth the cheap cost of entry.

I am not one to mind snow so for me places like northeast are vastly better as far as climate is concerned. So I totally get the Michigan/etc lifestyle but Chicago does get “too cold” at points which is borderline life threatening.
I’d never live here for a lot of reasons despite the cheapness so we can at least agree on that :lolol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:04 pm

I've never died here :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:00 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:50 pm

Yea X3 base was great... but would be nice to have something slightly more upmarket. Also :tits: kept bitching about the seats in that one... we did spend 12 hrs in one sitting in there so I am sure that didn't help. I think just bmws in general are not under consideration as she seems a bit annoyed with our mini experience and dealers being certifiable rapists. That said... MB/Audi may be same... but :tits: going to :tits:
Macan S is farrrr better than the x3, from the interior, seats, and they're quite fun to hoon, sport + sends 80% of power on the rear wheels. I rode it as a passenger many times in my uncle's, such a fun car and very comfortable.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.