Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:03 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am

:dat:

Even if “upside down” factor in cost to own + expenses of getting a NEW car (non lease) or a USED/CPO with no real gauge as to how it’s been treated by previous owners
Just do some serious thought into long term reliability. Upside down = stuck in car for a while. Check with Sauce who seemed to have an egg for the most miles and off'd it due to issues.

If it runs into issues, not only are you on the hook for them, but you're also in a bad position to off it into something more reliable. Not to mention, if you're wrapping lease overage fees into it, that'll make the situation even worse.

Cheap leases aren't the worst thing in the world when you're starting out in life. The "my car broke and I can't make it into the office" excuse really doesn't fly when you're young and trying to get ahead. A $250/mo 2 or 3 year lease on something basic while you establish yourself isn't a horrible idea. A VW :dillerman: might be able to help wipe out lease overage fees if you lease something new. Even just a basic egg or Jetta that you can ride ZFG to your next step.

Just consider all your options.
:dat: what I was thinking. Why go :fullretard: now when I can get into a basic Golf, Jetta etc for $150-250/month for 2-3 years to start fresh.

Either that or take advantage of the Passat that my mom is offering to pay for if she buys her c300.

2017 Passat r line :iono: pretty comfy and NFG.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 am
Just do some serious thought into long term reliability. Upside down = stuck in car for a while. Check with Sauce who seemed to have an egg for the most miles and off'd it due to issues.

If it runs into issues, not only are you on the hook for them, but you're also in a bad position to off it into something more reliable. Not to mention, if you're wrapping lease overage fees into it, that'll make the situation even worse.

Cheap leases aren't the worst thing in the world when you're starting out in life. The "my car broke and I can't make it into the office" excuse really doesn't fly when you're young and trying to get ahead. A $250/mo 2 or 3 year lease on something basic while you establish yourself isn't a horrible idea. A VW :dillerman: might be able to help wipe out lease overage fees if you lease something new. Even just a basic egg or Jetta that you can ride ZFG to your next step.

:dat: what I was thinking. Why go :fullretard: now when I can get into a basic Golf, Jetta etc for $150-250/month for 2-3 years to start fresh.

Either that or take advantage of the Passat that my mom is offering to pay for if she buys her c300.

You'll still be on the hook for lease overage fees won't you? Or will mom cover that too?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

passats are nice! go for it. I had a rental back in 2014, very comfy.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 am

You'll still be on the hook for lease overage fees won't you? Or will mom cover that too?
The Passat is nowhere near in danger of being on mileage overage. Here in Virginia, my work commute is 1.5 miles a day (might go up to 25 if I go to HQ). I am not putting anywhere near as much as I was on the GTI.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:22 am
The Passat is nowhere near in danger of being on mileage overage. Here in Virginia, my work commute is 1.5 miles a day (might go up to 25 if I go to HQ). I am not putting anywhere near as much as I was on the GTI.
No, I mean the overage on your current lease? You could likely negotiate getting that slashed with a new lease.

Unless it's a non-issue, then take the Passat. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am

No, I mean the overage on your current lease? You could likely negotiate getting that slashed with a new lease.

That’s what we are :math: about. Most likely they’ll help pay for it :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am

That’s what we are :math: about. Most likely they’ll help pay for it :doe:
I mean, if you get a free nice bridge car for the cost of a portion of the mileage overage, that's a no brainer. Keep your monthly commitments as low as possible right now.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am That’s what we are :math: about. Most likely they’ll help pay for it :doe:
I mean, if you get a free nice bridge car for the cost of a portion of the mileage overage, that's a no brainer. Keep your monthly commitments as low as possible right now.
Yeah, take the free car. That's an easy decision.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Even if “upside down” factor in cost to own + expenses of getting a NEW car (non lease) or a USED/CPO with no real gauge as to how it’s been treated by previous owners

:dat: if they're paying you well, the "I can't make it to work because my car is broken" doesn't compute. Then again he can walk to work IIRC. Could probably get a Jetta 1.4T for around $200/mo all in nothing out of pocket. Dat mileage overage doe. Would need to pay that.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/fourth-class-actio ... 1823190855

Fourth Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Corvette Z06s Going Into Limp Mode On Track :flaccid: :flaccid: :flaccid: :)
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:26 pm https://jalopnik.com/fourth-class-actio ... 1823190855

Fourth Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Corvette Z06s Going Into Limp Mode On Track :flaccid: :flaccid: :flaccid: :)
:lol: such performance very wow.

Who tracks a Z06 anyways.... (I should say which original owner does). Not 2nd, 3rd etc.
Usually it gets waxed by someone wearing socks and sandals at the local hooters meet.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

ChrisoftheNorth

Volvo is just absolutely killing it with design lately. 5/7 for sure.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Don't forget that short commutes accelerate carbon buildup. I had a 6 mile commute each way for 3 years and my Mk6 started misfiring at 50k.
razr390

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Don't forget that short commutes accelerate carbon buildup. I had a 6 mile commute each way for 3 years and my Mk6 started misfiring at 50k.
Yup which is what has me :doomed:

I’m gonna drive da bitch tonight since I’m going to get some groceries.

Gonna try to put about 10 miles on her today, all higher revs and whatnot.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

razr390 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm Don't forget that short commutes accelerate carbon buildup. I had a 6 mile commute each way for 3 years and my Mk6 started misfiring at 50k.
Yup which is what has me :doomed:

I’m gonna drive da bitch tonight since I’m going to get some groceries.

Gonna try to put about 10 miles on her today, all higher revs and whatnot.
Keeping it is still not a bad idea though. I mean a $700 service every 3-4 years is still cheaper than a new car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm What's moms dream ride?
:wap:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Davestr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:26 pm https://jalopnik.com/fourth-class-actio ... 1823190855

These are stupid lawsuits. What is the individual owner's damages? Damaged ego?
Just accept that Chebby didn't cool these things properly, buy the LG kit, and move on.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

At this point in your life, NFG, economical and reliable is paramount.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 pm Volvo is just absolutely killing it with design lately. 5/7 for sure.

Wish they'd bring back the C30 :doe: :eeyore: :sad:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Are the new GTI's any better in this respect?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Just accept that Chebby didn't cool these things properly, buy the LG kit, and move on.
:triggered:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Hooters bragging rights. Can you even read motherfucker?!
max225

I personally think the lawsuits are good. Chevy should have designed their "highest performance" Z06 in such a shitty way. This will make sure they won't the next time.

I don't exactly understand how that fell through the cracks... This is the 7ths generation corvette, and the engine is similar to the ZR1 which was out for a bit as well. Not like it is a first model year all new vehicle.

:disgust:
max225

:impressive: