OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:23 pm I don't want to live that long, I don't see the point.

Either the world is going to nuke us off it, or we'll be living in Gilead, or both. I've done what I want to do, I have 23 years until I'm 60 to accomplish anything else. If I don't want to live to 90+, I can stop working sooner and live life to the fullest sooner before I'm physically unable to.

My old man would be living in a carboard box on 8-mile if it wasn't for me. His mental decline has been rapid and drastic. He turns 70 this year, and his dad lived to 100 so I have to deal with another 30 years of burden taking care of him with more and more problems each year. Thankfully, I don't have offspring to put them through that, but I'm not living life that way.

:triggered: :wrong: :howdareu:
I get this thought process for sure, and share it to an extent. I used to set a limit at like 65. At this point I think/hope I’ll be healthy enough to enjoy life beyond that, but (assuming I outlive Michelle) as soon as I feel like things are more of a hassle than an enjoyment I don’t see a problem with pulling the plug on my own terms. Wouldn’t leave her solo, so just have to wait her out and then decide what’s best for me then.

Zero judgement here for your plan. Only recommend being open to staying longer if you’re doing better than expected when coming up on 60 or if your Michele is still around.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:06 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:44 pm

I think Detroit views 60+ as a suffered life where one cannot enjoy the quality of life.
Ron and I are fucked.com then
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:23 pm I don't want to live that long, I don't see the point.

Either the world is going to nuke us off it, or we'll be living in Gilead, or both. I've done what I want to do, I have 23 years until I'm 60 to accomplish anything else. If I don't want to live to 90+, I can stop working sooner and live life to the fullest sooner before I'm physically unable to.

My old man would be living in a carboard box on 8-mile if it wasn't for me. His mental decline has been rapid and drastic. He turns 70 this year, and his dad lived to 100 so I have to deal with another 30 years of burden taking care of him with more and more problems each year. Thankfully, I don't have offspring to put them through that, but I'm not living life that way.

I get this thought process for sure, and share it to an extent. I used to set a limit at like 65. At this point I think/hope I’ll be healthy enough to enjoy life beyond that, but (assuming I outlive Michelle) as soon as I feel like things are more of a hassle than an enjoyment I don’t see a problem with pulling the plug on my own terms. Wouldn’t leave her solo, so just have to wait her out and then decide what’s best for me then.

Zero judgement here for your plan. Only recommend being open to staying longer if you’re doing better than expected when coming up on 60 or if your Michele is still around.
:dat: :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

She's going to throw a wrench in things for sure, I can't abandon her. Problem is, if I follow my old man's path, I'll be worthless and have no idea once I crest 65. She'll be burdened with my :derp: :fullretard: old man :bs: and I don't wish that on her at all. I'm taking steps to hopefully prevent that with therapy, and hopefully being cognizant of the potential and being willing to do something about it will go a long way, but still the struggle will be real on both of us. I don't want that. I don't want a hard life just for the sake of living.

Realistically, I'll live a long time, and am preparing for that reality. I just don't really want to.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:07 pm

She's going to throw a wrench in things for sure, I can't abandon her. Problem is, if I follow my old man's path, I'll be worthless and have no idea once I crest 65. She'll be burdened with my :derp: :fullretard: old man :bs: and I don't wish that on her at all. I'm taking steps to hopefully prevent that with therapy, and hopefully being cognizant of the potential and being willing to do something about it will go a long way, but still the struggle will be real on both of us. I don't want that. I don't want a hard life just for the sake of living.

Realistically, I'll live a long time, and am preparing for that reality. I just don't really want to.
It’s generally regarded as a sports supplement, but look into creatine. It’s one of the most studied supplements in the world, and for more than muscle growth. It’s been shown to help slow and delay the onset on dementia and just be good for cognitive function in general. It can be had relatively cheap. And you only need to use 5g a day, so a 500g bag for $30 lasts you 100 days. Grab the monohydrate version, not one of the fancy overpriced newer types that people are trying to shill to make a quick buck.

This is something I think that everyone should take, especially if you’ve largely cut out red meat like you and Dan since that’s the main natural source of creatine we get.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:29 pm

It’s generally regarded as a sports supplement, but look into creatine. It’s one of the most studied supplements in the world, and for more than muscle growth. It’s been shown to help slow and delay the onset on dementia and just be good for cognitive function in general. It can be had relatively cheap. And you only need to use 5g a day, so a 500g bag for $30 lasts you 100 days. Grab the monohydrate version, not one of the fancy overpriced newer types that people are trying to shill to make a quick buck.

This is something I think that everyone should take, especially if you’ve largely cut out red meat like you and Dan since that’s the main natural source of creatine we get.
Dude. THANK YOU. I will look into this. Michele is on the Ashwagandha for brain health, but I'm :notsure: on that...not enough science for me.

IDGAF about the cost...if I can do something to improve my cognition and brain health now and in the future, I'm in. Any recommendations for good brands?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Dude. THANK YOU. I will look into this. Michele is on the Ashwagandha for brain health, but I'm :notsure: on that...not enough science for me.

IDGAF about the cost...if I can do something to improve my cognition and brain health now and in the future, I'm in. Any recommendations for good brands?
You’re very welcome! Ashwaganda has a lot of research, but I’ve never heard of cognitive stuff from it. I’ll have to look into that.

I use this brand: https://truenutrition.com/p-961-creatin ... owder.aspx

It’s “unflavored” so it tastes terrible by itself; but mix it into juice or whatever flavored beverage of choice and you don’t even know it’s there. I use “cdecon” as a discount code for 5% off and they occasionally do bigger sales where I’ll stock up on a bunch.
SAWCE

One thing to note, just so you don’t freak out if you notice it, it causes intercellular water retention in your muscles. Part of how it works to build strength. You won’t see a difference, but you may notice the scale jump up a few pounds even if your diet doesn’t change at all. Nothing to worry about, just more water hydrating your muscles, which has additional health benefits too.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:41 pm One thing to note, just so you don’t freak out if you notice it, it causes intercellular water retention in your muscles. Part of how it works to build strength. You won’t see a difference, but you may notice the scale jump up a few pounds even if your diet doesn’t change at all. Nothing to worry about, just more water hydrating your muscles, which has additional health benefits too.
I don't use scales. They just piss me off. As long as I look and feel good, I'm fine with it. Would be a big problem for Michele since she's on the scale every week, :doe: so thanks for the heads up.

More hydration in the muscles is a good thing IMO.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:59 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:41 pm One thing to note, just so you don’t freak out if you notice it, it causes intercellular water retention in your muscles. Part of how it works to build strength. You won’t see a difference, but you may notice the scale jump up a few pounds even if your diet doesn’t change at all. Nothing to worry about, just more water hydrating your muscles, which has additional health benefits too.
I don't use scales. They just piss me off. As long as I look and feel good, I'm fine with it. Would be a big problem for Michele since she's on the scale every week, :doe: so thanks for the heads up.

More hydration in the muscles is a good thing IMO.
Stoked to have given you a little hope for a more fulfilling future.
Desertbreh

I bought a bag of it and its just sitting in the pantry. So 5g is 1/3 tablespoon, yes?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:ohdang: Happy birthday :sawce: !

Thanks for the recommendation on creatine. I haven't thought about it in years but should hop on board, I used to take it with no ill effects and I do think it helped muscle development a bit. Now that I only eat meat 2-3 times/week and red meat maybe once a month, it would likely be even more key.

Any brain benefits are sugar on top.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

HBD :sawce: man!
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:23 pm

I bought a bag of it and its just sitting in the pantry. So 5g is 1/3 tablespoon, yes?
That sounds about right. ~1tsp.
I take 10g a day with no adverse effects.
SAWCE

Thanks Max and Griff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:50 pm Thanks Max and Griff!
Happy Birthday Broseph, hope it was a great day!
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:09 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:50 pm Thanks Max and Griff!
It was pretty solid! Thanks!

Our other buddy, who first found this area, got into town yesterday so him and my bossbro both stopped by to catch up a bit. Then Michelle and I went to this spot called Killer Burgers. Great food. I got a [user not found] and a Jose Mendez. The JM was much more spicy than I anticipated.

https://killerburger.com/menu/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:41 am

Our other buddy, who first found this area, got into town yesterday so him and my bossbro both stopped by to catch up a bit. Then Michelle and I went to this spot called Killer Burgers. Great food. I got a [user not found] and a Jose Mendez. The JM was much more spicy than I anticipated.

:ayfkm:

Those look good :doe:

Other than the PB one... I love PB and I love burgers even more, but the two together seems :disgust: Maybe I should just cave and try it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have a ton of work to do and very little motivation. Just had a weird 1:1 with my boss's new boss. I am heading to Dallas next week and the two of them are joining me in the field to meet with some customers... kind of dreading it although I'm sure it will be fine. New VP guy came from a different industry so I think he's more trying to learn about our customers to help drive strategy than judging me on performance or anything like that.
max225

Let me just say it’s been literally one of the best 2 months on this forum. No politics just cars and everyone gets along. And no cry baby finger pointing and :rage: quitting.

Been really nice y’all ! Appreciate all of you
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:54 am I have a ton of work to do and very little motivation. Just had a weird 1:1 with my boss's new boss. I am heading to Dallas next week and the two of them are joining me in the field to meet with some customers... kind of dreading it although I'm sure it will be fine. New VP guy came from a different industry so I think he's more trying to learn about our customers to help drive strategy than judging me on performance or anything like that.
Yea I’d go in neutral. New guy doesn’t know shit and is trying to dip his feet into the water.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:09 pm Let me just say it’s been literally one of the best 2 months on this forum. No politics just cars and everyone gets along. And no cry baby finger pointing and :rage: quitting.

:wub:

Yeah I started that discord but have really been enjoying the format here so haven't really pressed forward with that. My god, it doesn't help me get shit done at work though :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:09 pm Let me just say it’s been literally one of the best 2 months on this forum. No politics just cars and everyone gets along. And no cry baby finger pointing and :rage: quitting.

Agreed, it has been. It may be silly to everyone I know IRL, but I really appreciate this place.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:41 am

oh MAN............do want.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Amen