OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 am

Afternoons here have been good for like 3 weeks now, mornings and evenings usually still too cold. I think on average it's too cold in the morning here year round :doe: so that shouldn't be a surprise. IDGAF if it's 90 in the afternoon though, that usually means that I had a pleasant morning on the deck instead of hiding in the basement because outside was 55 (or less, we have seen as low as 40 very recently).
Mornings have been nice, that's for sure. Just can't really enjoy mornings because I'm working. By 5:00 when I can actually enjoy being outside, the sun is skin melting hot.
You aren't WFH?

I bring my laptop outside and work (or DFD...) there whenever it's decent out. I only go in when it's too cold or when the bugs come out at 7-8. Need to see about some kind of easy small gas-powered fire solution to solve both the cold and bug problems if I'm going to keep it up.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 am I think these were both Chase, at least mine was for sure. $31k limit down to $15.5k, 813 score, never actually used more than $5k and it's on autopay to pay the balance in full every month.

I assume it'll have a major impact on my score because I don't have a whole lot of other credit available. Keeping a bunch of open unused cards seemed dumb.
Some of the big banks are doing serious risk limiting with COVID going on.
It's a smart plan. They cut everyone's ratings based on no negative behaviors, then they get to raise everyone's rates because their ratings went down. Instant extra profit! :waxer: gonna :waxer:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 am
Mornings have been nice, that's for sure. Just can't really enjoy mornings because I'm working. By 5:00 when I can actually enjoy being outside, the sun is skin melting hot.
You aren't WFH?

I bring my laptop outside and work (or DFD...) there whenever it's decent out. I only go in when it's too cold or when the bugs come out at 7-8. Need to see about some kind of easy small gas-powered fire solution to solve both the cold and bug problems if I'm going to keep it up.
No, I am...and I do sit outside from time to time, but a lot of the work I do is really benefited by an external monitor, so I'm stuck in the office 90% of the time. I could setup an outside office I guess...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am Ugh I wish we could know what the fuck is going to happen with jobs here. The :haus: we like is still for sale and way down in price, but we don't know whether we'll be stuck here, allowed to work 100% remote, or be fired in a month... all 3 seem near equally likely.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-H ... 2050_zpid/
This house is really epic for the price. :megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:42 am

You aren't WFH?

No, I am...and I do sit outside from time to time, but a lot of the work I do is really benefited by an external monitor, so I'm stuck in the office 90% of the time. I could setup an outside office I guess...
Yeah I hear you. I have been using split screen a lot plus the phone as a kind of poor man's "3 monitor" setup. It would not be hard to put together a mobile sort of desktop setup, probably worth it for you as a homeowner. There might be an off-the-shelf solution too, I've never looked.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am Ugh I wish we could know what the fuck is going to happen with jobs here. The :haus: we like is still for sale and way down in price, but we don't know whether we'll be stuck here, allowed to work 100% remote, or be fired in a month... all 3 seem near equally likely.

I assume it's still for sale because everyone else is in the same position as us, so the only way to "win" would be to buy it and find out after the fact that we are indeed stuck here.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 am
I assume it's still for sale because everyone else is in the same position as us, so the only way to "win" would be to buy it and find out after the fact that we are indeed stuck here.
It’s a neat house! I like the lot it’s on too.
troyguitar

You aren't WFH?

I accept commission checks in the form of Jet's Pizza.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJYQN9K?pd ... f0a43d52ea
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, it's a tough call...it's not a highly desirable area, and you guys don't want to be there long term so it's probably not a wise move. BUT, the price is pretty appealing, hard to see it going much below that in the future.

The market makes zero sense here. It's a 100% sellers market. We just had a realtor come up to the house and ask if we'd consider selling because she "has multiple buyers looking in our area". She's going door to door asking everyone. Every day we get multiple post cards from realtors offering to list our house at significantly reduced rates. There's nothing for sale in our little city, and it's apparently in high demand, so it's :fullretard:

A doctor just moved into the house across the street for $5k/mo RENT. He said he likes the house so much that he offered the owners "whatever it takes" to buy it, AND THEY DECLINED because they're moving back in 2 years. :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 am
I accept commission checks in the form of Jet's Pizza.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJYQN9K?pd ... f0a43d52ea
Dang this is :notbad:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 am

Yea, it's a tough call...it's not a highly desirable area, and you guys don't want to be there long term so it's probably not a wise move. BUT, the price is pretty appealing, hard to see it going much below that in the future.

The market makes zero sense here. It's a 100% sellers market. We just had a realtor come up to the house and ask if we'd consider selling because she "has multiple buyers looking in our area". She's going door to door asking everyone. Every day we get multiple post cards from realtors offering to list our house at significantly reduced rates. There's nothing for sale in our little city, and it's apparently in high demand, so it's :fullretard:

A doctor just moved into the house across the street for $5k/mo RENT. He said he likes the house so much that he offered the owners "whatever it takes" to buy it, AND THEY DECLINED because they're moving back in 2 years. :wtf:
It's obviously stupid but the house itself is cool. In some ways, living in an area like this is the only way we will ever be able to afford a cool house. Too bad the taxes are so fucking nuts. Though I guess if they weren't then the prices would be a lot higher.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 am

Yeah I hear you. I have been using split screen a lot plus the phone as a kind of poor man's "3 monitor" setup. It would not be hard to put together a mobile sort of desktop setup, probably worth it for you as a homeowner. There might be an off-the-shelf solution too, I've never looked.
Man if my multi-monitor setup was mobile... Mindblown.
They make all sorts of portable monitors. It's basically just a tablet with a cheaper motherboard inside.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 am

It's obviously stupid but the house itself is cool. In some ways, living in an area like this is the only way we will ever be able to afford a cool house. Too bad the taxes are so fucking nuts. Though I guess if they weren't then the prices would be a lot higher.
That's where we're at too. This is pretty much our only shot at living in a desirable area because anywhere else is :fullretard: for something similar.

And, one way or another, you pay in the long run.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 am

if y'all are going to be dinks you should totally :doit:
I kind of snapped last night in this regard.

Wife HATES when I take time to wash the truck. So the only time I get is when she visits friends, which she did last night. Excited that I finally get to wash the truck, I look around at all the new landscaping we planted and noticed it's dry. Apparently Michigan is now a desert where we no longer get rain, but hot driving sun in the low-90's with no cloud cover perpetually. We haven't had meaningful rain in well over a month.

I just saw money evaporating into the air, so I spent OVER AN HOUR watering everything in the yard, which it looks like I'll need to do every night for the rest of the summer.

I could install a sprinkler system, but that's going to be a ton of work in desert-like conditions. Plus, our water bill will end up being more than our fucking electric bill because despite record lake levels, our water is still :fullretard: expensive because reasons. I have to weigh if it'll cost more to let the new plants die and replace them in the fall, or water to keep them alive.

Just over it all.
We got MASSIVE rains on Friday and yesterday. I'm surprised you didn't see any of it. We're supposed to get more today and/or tomorrow so maybe relief is headed your way?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 am So the wife and I, independently over the past month or so, both had our credit card limits cut in half. Anyone else getting fucked despite using the cards regularly and having ~800 scores?
Just checked the main one we share, Capital One. No change to our limit. We're both over 800 as well.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 am

They make all sorts of portable monitors. It's basically just a tablet with a cheaper motherboard inside.
Probably nothing as large as my work ones sadly
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm

:lol:
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 am

I do miss my dual 24s at the office... but not enough to want to go back to the office. Another month of WFH for me doe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

House is dope. You're gonna need a Crosstrek to get up that hill in the winter :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Epic house, too bad the weather/property taxes suck or that would be a deal. More than 2X the size of mine, plus a garage, plus views for almost $100K less... those taxes though :disgust:

Has she asked about the relocation thing or is she waiting until the end of quarantine?

I'd personally just ask, no better time than now. One of my buddy's has been living in Boston for years and just got approval from his job to relocate to CA. He even manages a few people in Boston but his company (app development, small company) was totally cool with it. I'm sure I could get approval to move anywhere, hence the beach townhouse desire (probably won't happen because she has a pretty sweet job here and just got a 15% raise). Honestly, I don't see people going back to offices full time at any point in the next year/possibly ever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

You aren't WFH?

:dat:

I can't do my job without extra monitor(s) and a real mouse, headset, etc. Pain in the ass to move all that outside. I really wanted to for a while, now I would just be :sweaty:

I don't really start work until 10:30 or so, so I just enjoy time in the morning outside before work.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:23 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 pm

:dat: But overall I'm atleast thankful that I now have a paid off car, plus got rid of my debts, like I can throw a downpayment on an m2 comp right now if I want to, but now I'm on :scrooge: mode ever since in January. Hell if I was like 22-24 I would've gotten my next :plac: vehicle by now. Now that I'm in Turkey, things are super cheap there right now, so I'm literally saving lots . Getting a "large" iced latte is like 2 bucks, most of the restaurants that are basically on the same level Dave and busters (restaurant) price and quality wise, even the most expensive entree is cheaper than a Taco Bell/mcd's menu (excluding the 5 dollhair box). Groceries are hella cheap, etc. etc. gas is the only thing that's more expensive here, but considering that you're most likely driving slow diesels, you'll end up getting gas less often.

Funny thing is, before I even moved to the US, my family and I would often visit the US, because things in Turkey were more expensive to the teeth compared to Murica. Even around 2008-2014, I had guests over from Turkey for that alone for a few weeks. But ever since the lira started to tank for the last 6 years against the dollar and the euro, it's the other way around, to the point where Romania, Bulgaria and Greece actually drive to Turkey for vacations and shopping, which makes sense why I kept seeing cars with Serbian, Bosnian, Albanian, Romanian and Bulgarian plates like no other for the last few years.
:notbad:

Kinda cool you got stuck over there for the 'VID. You get to relive your old stomping grounds, view beautiful scenery, hang with family, and save money. Pretty much a winner across the board.
I can certainly say that it's pure :alpo: luck, plus having a paid off car
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Epic house, too bad the weather/property taxes suck or that would be a deal. More than 2X the size of mine, plus a garage, plus views for almost $100K less... those taxes though :disgust:

Has she asked about the relocation thing or is she waiting until the end of quarantine?

I'd personally just ask, no better time than now. One of my buddy's has been living in Boston for years and just got approval from his job to relocate to CA. He even manages a few people in Boston but his company (app development, small company) was totally cool with it. I'm sure I could get approval to move anywhere, hence the beach townhouse desire (probably won't happen because she has a pretty sweet job here and just got a 15% raise). Honestly, I don't see people going back to offices full time at any point in the next year/possibly ever.
Yep, doesn’t hurt to ask.

I asked my boss about it, and he said he had no clue about the future and he hasn’t had anything communicated to him, but he’ll let me know when he has more information.

I think a lot of older companies (like Corning) are taking a wait and see approach for this through the end of the year. Really curious to see where things go.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

I asked my boss about it, and he said he had no clue about the future and he hasn’t had anything communicated to him, but he’ll let me know when he has more information.

I think a lot of older companies (like Corning) are taking a wait and see approach for this through the end of the year. Really curious to see where things go.
Even our company which was started in '05 and pretty progressive is still mostly "you have to be near the office" for now, but on a case by case basis I think it could fly. Customer service people probably need to be here, but a sales rep with a good track record like me could pull it off. My boss is remote too, living in Marin County, CA, so that helps. Sales is really the best field to be in though, if you want the freedom to live in different places.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Even our company which was started in '05 and pretty progressive is still mostly "you have to be near the office" for now, but on a case by case basis I think it could fly. Customer service people probably need to be here, but a sales rep with a good track record like me could pull it off. My boss is remote too, living in Marin County, CA, so that helps. Sales is really the best field to be in though, if you want the freedom to live in different places.
I’d personally be nervous to move far from a job that decided to allow it. At any point some old could take over and require everyone back in the office or :gtfo:

I’d use it as an opportunity to move somewhere cool without changing jobs then focus efforts on finding something more local.

At least that’s my plan if I’m presented with the opportunity