Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 pm
I like this.

:caspian:
Can't let some good tin-foil go to waste. :caspian:
No we can't.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm What's the difference between a stove and a range?
AFAIK, a range is a :waxer: stove. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:18 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm What's the difference between a stove and a range?
AFAIK, a range is a :waxer: stove. :iono:
According to www.google.com , the terms are used interchangeably. But these days, everyone refers to them as a "range". :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Jaxper wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm
AFAIK, a range is a single unit that has both an oven and stove-top, where a stove is simply the burners, whether gas or electric. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
I believe a stand-alone unit of just burners is called a cook top. A stove top refers to the burner section on top of an actual stove. But all these terms are fairly interchangeable, IMO.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:53 pm Why does it have WiFi?
:crang:
I lol'd!
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm No but really, we were puzzled by the wifi aspect. Then we were reading reviews, and people love that you can set the oven to pre-heat from your phone before heading home. So if you want to make dinner, you can arrive home to the oven at temp, and jump right into cooking.

We could live without it, but whatever. I could maybe see it being useful.
Interesting. I don't know how I'd feel about my oven being on with no one home :doe:
Maybe nothing to worry about? I mean, by boiler and hot water heater and garage heater run when we're not home...
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 pm
Basically.

And on that topic, I really don't get those voice assistants. A friend of mine got one for Christmas, and other than the novelty of asking it stupid questions (it told me "I don't know what you expected" when I asked Alexa to so me her tits), there's not much value I see in it. I guess if you lived in a :waxer: house where everything was connected it would be cool, but no real people can afford that.
There's lots of bros on here talking about Alexa controlled lighting and shit....Jefe in Austin. It's just a bridge too far for an old guy like me. Sort of like flatscreen TV's. At a certain point, enough is enough. 70 inch TV for $800? Deal. Don't need to pay extra for a curved screen or a TV where Angelina Jolie pops out and give me a handy.
All :dat:
I might accept the Angie handy, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm No but really, we were puzzled by the wifi aspect. Then we were reading reviews, and people love that you can set the oven to pre-heat from your phone before heading home. So if you want to make dinner, you can arrive home to the oven at temp, and jump right into cooking.

Interesting. I don't know how I'd feel about my oven being on with no one home :doe:
Maybe nothing to worry about? I mean, by boiler and hot water heater and garage heater run when we're not home...
Right, I'm not concerned about it. Seems like if it was dangerous, GE would be sued into oblivion.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:13 pm

:(
You'd love the :dedong: range, but I get it. There are some 30" stoves with small stacked double ovens with some limited usefulness. For a 30" I bet 500 -600 cfm would be fine.

Link to the stove you're considering?
I know we'd love the big range...but we'd need to seriously :waxer: to get it. Not only is the range itself like $8k, but the floor which would likely result in cabinets would be another $5k easy. It's a super slippery slope to add the big one.

Infamous claims she'd be happy with another 30"er. She said she's never really run out of space, but wants a center burner, which this one has...

In slate...

https://www.costco.com/GE-Profile-6.7Cu ... FZRMZ2zeuU

We checked it out at HD last night, and the ovens are surprisingly big. The smaller one up top would really come in handy for the little stuff. It's amazing how often we waste the whole oven for a frozen pizza, sheet of cookies, etc. Can get it from Costco with a 4 year warranty, delivery and basic installation for $2,400. Since it does everything she wants and looks "cute" ( :wtf: ), I think this is the winner.
Just saw this. Nice range. You'll like a fifth burner and the fact that it's a griddle burner (elongated) makes it pretty useful. You'll also like the second oven for things like casserole dishes, etc, as you mentioned. This darker stainless finish is getting popular. Is that why she thinks it's cute? My only reservation is the electronic controls for the oven. I like total :manuel: controls. The simpler it is the more durable. But I suppose it's getting harder and harder to find non-electronic appliances and with that warranty you should be fine.

FWIW, DCS used to make GE's Monogram line, :notsure: if they still do or if they make, or ever made, their Profile line. :whocares:
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

There's lots of bros on here talking about Alexa controlled lighting and shit....Jefe in Austin. It's just a bridge too far for an old guy like me. Sort of like flatscreen TV's. At a certain point, enough is enough. 70 inch TV for $800? Deal. Don't need to pay extra for a curved screen or a TV where Angelina Jolie pops out and give me a handy.
I looked into it briefly. It would cost me a few grand to upgrade my house to be "smart" which is funny considering it's so old it doesn't even have insulation. In Michigan. Where it routinely sees sub-zero temps.

Also, none of my outlets are grounded.

I can see the value, but only in newly built houses with everything in there from the get-go. That's why this shit will never really be commonplace.

I guess I'm too :scrooge: and :wap: to really get into this tech. I'm with you on TV's BTW...though the handy from Angelina part? :notbad:
Yep, this shit, including smart thermostats, is not for me, or my house. I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat. :notsure: how a "smart" one would be any better for me or my 112 year old crib.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Right, I'm not concerned about it. Seems like if it was dangerous, GE would be sued into oblivion.
Yea. I retract my reservation.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm
I know we'd love the big range...but we'd need to seriously :waxer: to get it. Not only is the range itself like $8k, but the floor which would likely result in cabinets would be another $5k easy. It's a super slippery slope to add the big one.

Infamous claims she'd be happy with another 30"er. She said she's never really run out of space, but wants a center burner, which this one has...

In slate...

https://www.costco.com/GE-Profile-6.7Cu ... FZRMZ2zeuU

We checked it out at HD last night, and the ovens are surprisingly big. The smaller one up top would really come in handy for the little stuff. It's amazing how often we waste the whole oven for a frozen pizza, sheet of cookies, etc. Can get it from Costco with a 4 year warranty, delivery and basic installation for $2,400. Since it does everything she wants and looks "cute" ( :wtf: ), I think this is the winner.
Just saw this. Nice range. You'll like a fifth burner and the fact that it's a griddle burner (elongated) makes it pretty useful. You'll also like the second oven for things like casserole dishes, etc, as you mentioned. This darker stainless finish is getting popular. Is that why she thinks it's cute? My only reservation is the electronic controls for the oven. I like total :manuel: controls. The simpler it is the more durable. But I suppose it's getting harder and harder to find non-electronic appliances and with that warranty you should be fine.

FWIW, DCS used to make GE's Monogram line, :notsure: if they still do or if they make, or ever made, their Profile line. :whocares:
The slate color is really unique. It's a flat finish that doesn't smudge at all. Our stainless constantly looks like shit, so we're really not interested in stainless variations anymore. Nobody seems to do the slate finish yet, but I bet it'll be the next big thing.

I agree, I wish it didn't have electric oven control, but whatever. That's all they are. Plus, need the :crang: control.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm

The slate color is really unique. It's a flat finish that doesn't smudge at all. Our stainless constantly looks like shit, so we're really not interested in stainless variations anymore. Nobody seems to do the slate finish yet, but I bet it'll be the next big thing.

I agree, I wish it didn't have electric oven control, but whatever. That's all they are. Plus, need the :crang: control.
The slate looks :tits: I'd buy that line for sure.
wap

:word:
I've seen another company do that dark stainless finish, but can't remember who.
It is hard to find non-electronic ranges any more. That was one of the (many) appeals of mine. The only electronics it's got are the igniters, oven lights, convection fan, and the little blue lights that come on when you turn a knob. That's it. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

I've seen another company do that dark stainless finish, but can't remember who.
It is hard to find non-electronic ranges any more. That was one of the (many) appeals of mine. The only electronics it's got are the igniters, oven lights, convection fan, and the little blue lights that come on when you turn a knob. That's it. :notbad:
Dark stainless is common, indeed. SLATE, however is different yet. We can find anyone other the GE doing it.

I totally get the appeal of a pro range like yours. In fact, I could find a 30" for the same price as this GE, but Infamous just isn't into the look. Apparently, that's important now.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Dark stainless is common, indeed. SLATE, however is different yet. We can find anyone other the GE doing it.

I totally get the appeal of a pro range like yours. In fact, I could find a 30" for the same price as this GE, but Infamous just isn't into the look. Apparently, that's important now.
Wimmin shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Hit up a high end appliance store just now. Infamous has no interest in a :waxer: range. She said they're ugly and she doesn't know what she'd do with all the space. She just wants more out of the 30"er and the GE Slate with 5 burners and double oven is all she wants.

I'm worried she's going to change her mind, but this is the third time now going to look at appliances and she's adamant. Means no cabinet work for me, which is 5/7
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 pm Hit up a high end appliance store just now. Infamous has no interest in a :waxer: range. She said they're ugly and she doesn't know what she'd do with all the space. She just wants more out of the 30"er and the GE Slate with 5 burners and double oven is all she wants.

I'm worried she's going to change her mind, but this is the third time now going to look at appliances and she's adamant. Means no cabinet work for me, which is 5/7
Reasonable tastes for once. :notbad:
I am truly :mindblown:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 pm Hit up a high end appliance store just now. Infamous has no interest in a :waxer: range. She said they're ugly and she doesn't know what she'd do with all the space. She just wants more out of the 30"er and the GE Slate with 5 burners and double oven is all she wants.

Reasonable tastes for once. :notbad:
:dat:
:mindblown:
wap

Does GE make a matching range hood? How about matching dish washer and fridge in that same slate finish?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 pm Does GE make a matching range hood? How about matching dish washer and fridge in that same slate finish?
They do...we'll likely upgrade everything to slate since our current appliances are pushing 20 years old and starting to get sketchy.

The range hood is the issue. It's a :jalepenis: 350 CFM unit. Seems woefully underpowered, so we'll likely have to pick something else.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I looked into it briefly. It would cost me a few grand to upgrade my house to be "smart" which is funny considering it's so old it doesn't even have insulation. In Michigan. Where it routinely sees sub-zero temps.

Also, none of my outlets are grounded.

I can see the value, but only in newly built houses with everything in there from the get-go. That's why this shit will never really be commonplace.

I guess I'm too :scrooge: and :wap: to really get into this tech. I'm with you on TV's BTW...though the handy from Angelina part? :notbad:
I've got all my switches in the house converted over to smart control now. I also have a few of the too expensive LED bulbs here and there that change color. I've changed the colors exactly 0 times after the first month.

I also rarely use the google home anymore, so I might just unplug them and get rid of them. I can use the Smartthings app to control all the lighting, especially when away from home, so that works. The one nice thing (beyond remote control when on vacation) about replacing all the switches was that all of the inside light switches are dimmers.

I really don't find myself using the google home to turn on the TV, or to start playing a youtube channel on the TV, or to change the input on the TV... it's a gimmick that is cool, but not really something I use. However, it is cool for asking about traffic and travel times, or weird general information, but the google assistant on my phone can do it all.

As for the TV, I specifically did NOT buy the curved screen. They have a very narrow sweet spot and I believe they are a fad that will go away like 3DTV.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This was my concern too. When we bought our new Samsung stuff the stove/range/cooker thing had two identical models of the double oven convection that converted to one big convection oven. The difference was the Wifi and remote control. I saved the $300 and went without because I wasn't sure about ever using it.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 am

This was my concern too. When we bought our new Samsung stuff the stove/range/cooker thing had two identical models of the double oven convection that converted to one big convection oven. The difference was the Wifi and remote control. I saved the $300 and went without because I wasn't sure about ever using it.
If I could save $300 and ditch wifi, I would.

How do you like the Samsung stuff? The oven that converts from small to large is really appealing...really clever design. Can you cook things at different temps in each section?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:40 am

If I could save $300 and ditch wifi, I would.

How do you like the Samsung stuff? The oven that converts from small to large is really appealing...really clever design. Can you cook things at different temps in each section?
I was a high end GE guy for about 13 years and honestly the stuff is not worth the money. We replaced 3 $1000+ dishwashers and 2 $3000+ fridges. We switched to the Samsung stuff and so far I am impressed.

For the oven, yeah, we do a lot of double cooking, especially when the wife wants to make some kind of dessert to be served still warm from the oven. Remove the divider and you can do a massive turkey or something.