OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:11 pm

I wish you luck, but I hate that companies are hiring people to be software leaders when they have never worked on software before. It happens in every industry and always seems dumb to me.
I think it depends on the software/project. In the case of this job, they need someone to guide feature priority and development to appeal to OEMs. A software product manager has no idea how OEMs will use this thing and that's the challenge of this job. The product manager needs to be a marketer and an engineer. Most think they know everything and end up fucking things up, I'm not like that.

There's immense opportunity in remote software product management, and it's where I want to go. I need to start somewhere and I'm fully transparent with interviewers that I understand this is a development area and it's something I really want to develop. I've even offered to get certifications or training before hiring. I get ghosted for most jobs I apply to, so this auto opportunity is pretty much my one shot without starting at ground zero in an entry level job, which I'm open to as well. be
:dat: it sounds like a sensible transition to me. You don't need to be a software dev. to manage a software product, you need to understand the market they're chasing and the business side of it. Having deep knowledge of the product is also key, but that doesn't require being able to build the product.

This is a fine/tricky line in hiring people :doe: I think my company focuses a little bit too much on business experience in a similar role and not enough on industry experience in many cases. We've hired a bunch of sales people who don't know shit about the product/industry and it is rather frustrating to try to get them up to speed, and at the end of the day, understanding what the customer deals with day-to-day in their business is key, IMO. It doesn't sound like the case here :doe: , they need someone familiar with auto OEMs, so it could be a good foot in the door.

Fingers crossed for you :mahman:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Interesting. My job does the exact opposite. Over prioritizes industry experience and under values business expertise.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:27 pm Interesting. My job does the exact opposite. Over prioritizes industry experience and under values business expertise.
I guess it just goes to show that it is very challenging to find candidates with close to all of the necessary experience.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:36 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:27 pm Interesting. My job does the exact opposite. Over prioritizes industry experience and under values business expertise.
I guess it just goes to show that it is very challenging to find candidates with close to all of the necessary experience.
In the case of product management, you have to be able to think like an engineer just as well as a marketer. Those two mindsets are usually mutually exclusive, so it's very hard to find good candidates.

I still think you'd do well in that field because you like and understand the technical side but are successful with sales so clearly understand customers.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:07 pm
I work in product management, which at the Corp level is just a bs pusher and order taker. I'm sick of the politics and old school bs.

It just so happens that my field is in crazy high demand right now for software development and digital stuff, the problem is I have no direct experience there. IHS bought a company that needs someone to lead a software product they want to sell to OEMs and wants someone with OEM experience. I've had 5 interviews now and all have gone awesome. It's my perfect opportunity to transition out of OEM and eventually out of auto altogether. Living the lucrative techbro life is more appealing than being ground to nothing in auto.
I will say, as awful as the auto industry can be, it really is way ahead of a lot of other industries, in terms of processes and efficiency. I thought Pharma was going to be like being transported into the future, because margins are better so they must have invested so much more than the auto world? Wrong. It's like 40 years behind auto in almost everything :lol:

I feel bad though. A lot of the best people I've ever worked with are life long auto people, grinding it out every day. They would run circles around people in other industries. You just have to show your skill set can transfer into another industry. I lucked out in that a guy I worked with in auto made the jump to Pharma because his wife worked there, and he pulled me along with him. I probably would have struggled to get in if I didn't have somebody vouching for me.
Yep, designing, engineering, building, and selling a vehicle is immensely difficult with all the moving pieces. It's probably the most complex industry. Problem is, margins are tight and the supply chain so complex that it feels like there's always opportunity for increased efficiency that execs target non stop.

Getting out is hard because the industry is so unique. You're lucky to have found a way out.

I'm really just over big corps, maybe not so much the industry. Unfortunately, the industry is made of big corps.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:11 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:59 pm

I will say, as awful as the auto industry can be, it really is way ahead of a lot of other industries, in terms of processes and efficiency. I thought Pharma was going to be like being transported into the future, because margins are better so they must have invested so much more than the auto world? Wrong. It's like 40 years behind auto in almost everything :lol:

I feel bad though. A lot of the best people I've ever worked with are life long auto people, grinding it out every day. They would run circles around people in other industries. You just have to show your skill set can transfer into another industry. I lucked out in that a guy I worked with in auto made the jump to Pharma because his wife worked there, and he pulled me along with him. I probably would have struggled to get in if I didn't have somebody vouching for me.
Yep, designing, engineering, building, and selling a vehicle is immensely difficult with all the moving pieces. It's probably the most complex industry. Problem is, margins are tight and the supply chain so complex that it feels like there's always opportunity for increased efficiency that execs target non stop.

Getting out is hard because the industry is so unique. You're lucky to have found a way out.

I'm really just over big corps, maybe not so much the industry. Unfortunately, the industry is made of big corps.
Just wait until you get race quotas from the top down. White males are not to be hired no matter what the price or merit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:36 pm

In the case of product management, you have to be able to think like an engineer just as well as a marketer. Those two mindsets are usually mutually exclusive, so it's very hard to find good candidates.

I still think you'd do well in that field because you like and understand the technical side but are successful with sales so clearly understand customers.
Thanks, :bruh:

It's definitely something I'd consider getting into in the future. It seems like a lot of product management people have a background in sales, so we shall see.

I actually just got a second interview with this other company I had a prelim with back in June. Pretty stoked as I have been interested in this company for a while, they are the the leader in audio over IP technologies, we used their chipsets at my last company, it's 5/7 tech/the future of the industry, IMO.

:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Just wait until you get race quotas from the top down. White males are not to be hired no matter what the price or merit.
Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get an offer from GM only because of my skin color. I've interviewed with 7 people so far, not a single white dude.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:23 pm

It's definitely something I'd consider getting into in the future. It seems like a lot of product management people have a background in sales, so we shall see.

I actually just got a second interview with this other company I had a prelim with back in June. Pretty stoked as I have been interested in this company for a while, they are the the leader in audio over IP technologies, we used their chipsets at my last company, it's 5/7 tech/the future of the industry, IMO.

:notbad: :popcorn:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Nice. Good luck!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:01 pm

Nice. Good luck!
:dat:
Go git it, Griff!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Slow day at work today. I'm sleepy AF. Struggling to stay awake..
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:19 pm Slow day at work today. I'm sleepy AF. Struggling to stay awake..
Been kind of a rough morning for me also. Frigging on calls since 7 am... I do NOT like that.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:10 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:19 pm Slow day at work today. I'm sleepy AF. Struggling to stay awake..
Been kind of a rough morning for me also. Frigging on calls since 7 am... I do NOT like that.
Oooof.. yeah, I wouldn't want to trade you. I like keeping busy at work so the time goes by quick, but I'll take a slow day over a day in meetings/on calls for sure.
SAWCE

Popped these pineapple slices in the freezer for like 15 minute before eating them. Fuck yeah that's an awesome little treat.
Been eating pineapple as some of the carbs with my one red meat meal every day just to help digest the beef. Subbing half a cup of rice for 200g of pineapple. Both give about 25g of carbs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:47 pm Popped these pineapple slices in the freezer for like 15 minute before eating them. Fuck yeah that's an awesome little treat.
Been eating pineapple as some of the carbs with my one red meat meal every day just to help digest the beef. Subbing half a cup of rice for 200g of pineapple. Both give about 25g of carbs.
:jelly:

I love pineapple. They're annoying to cut up but a full pineapple at Aldi is around 1.5$, so I normally pick one up every week or two.
wap

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:20 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:47 pm Popped these pineapple slices in the freezer for like 15 minute before eating them. Fuck yeah that's an awesome little treat.

I love pineapple. They're annoying to cut up but a full pineapple at Aldi is around 1.5$, so I normally pick one up every week or two.
:bruh:
Pick up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Pineapple-Cutter ... 8973&psc=1
Aldi sometimes has them too, for about the same price. They work great and it just goes in the dishwasher so no cleanup.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Pick up one of these:
Aldi sometimes has them too, for about the same price. They work great and it just goes in the dishwasher so no cleanup.
:notbad: I might actually grab one of these. We'll see how slicing up my fresh pineapple tomorrow evening goes.. the stuff I ate today was presliced and just sold in a clamshell at Vons. Not cost efficient, but nice to just open and grab fresh pineapple with no work. This thing could be a game changer though.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Those pineapple tools work well. I hate the taste of it but we have the tool and it really works.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:46 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm
Pick up one of these:
:notbad: I might actually grab one of these. We'll see how slicing up my fresh pineapple tomorrow evening goes.. the stuff I ate today was presliced and just sold in a clamshell at Vons. Not cost efficient, but nice to just open and grab fresh pineapple with no work. This thing could be a game changer though.
Cool.
Pro tip: Fresh pineapple is juicy so I usually use this to cut it in a shallow bowl with a lid to store the cut pieces and and to save the juice, which I'll pour into a glass and mix it with orange juice, which is :muah:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:49 pm Those pineapple tools work well. I hate the taste of it but we have the tool and it really works.
Have you ever tried grilling fresh cut pineapple?
SAWCE

There was another brand pineapple cutter on amazon for a few bucks more that had a few thousand reviews vs the hundred and something that this one had. Grabbed that one. Will get it tomorrow :notbad: Thanks WAP
SAWCE

wap wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Cool.
Pro tip: Fresh pineapple is juicy so I usually use this to cut it in a shallow bowl with a lid to store the cut pieces and and to save the juice, which I'll pour into a glass and mix it with orange juice, which is :muah:
Bowl to save the juice, or at least keep the chopped up pineapple in the juice is also a solid idea. I'll do it all into a large tupperware and just seal it all up in there and pull out what I need each day.
Last edited by SAWCE on Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:49 pm Those pineapple tools work well. I hate the taste of it but we have the tool and it really works.
Have you ever tried grilling fresh cut pineapple?
I've heard grilled with a little cinnamon and sugar is amazing.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 pm There was another brand pineapple cutter on amazon for a few bucks more that had a few thousand reviews vs the hundred and something that this one had. Grabbed that one. Will get it tomorrow :notbad: Thanks WAP
:like:
In4review!