Renegade and Compass hybrid announced!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 pm I think/hope that hybrids like this are the way of the future. The same kind of thing in a compact car like a Mazda3/Golf is pretty much what I want. Electric rear axle with software for torque vectoring, gas front axle for highway power+range. You should be able to make a decently quick, fun, efficient, and affordable car that way.
I’d rather get a 2wd model for an affordable price. That’s way too much tech and R&D for an affordable new price point.
If you had SF-esque hills plus eternal winter, you might think differently. :whocares:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 pm I think/hope that hybrids like this are the way of the future. The same kind of thing in a compact car like a Mazda3/Golf is pretty much what I want. Electric rear axle with software for torque vectoring, gas front axle for highway power+range. You should be able to make a decently quick, fun, efficient, and affordable car that way.
I’d rather get a 2wd model for an affordable price. That’s way too much tech and R&D for an affordable new price point.
You get these because you like EV tech and saving the planet. They'll never make financial sense over a gas equivalent.

I personally really like commuting in an EV. It's all I commute in anymore, and it's great. I'd pay more for it in my next vehicle as long as performance is as good or better than the gas-only vehicle. I'm not paying more to go slower.

What remains to be seen is how these are intended. Are they just half-assed compliance-mobiles or are they actually well thought-out plug-ins?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm

You get these because you like EV tech and saving the planet. They'll never make financial sense over a gas equivalent.

I personally really like commuting in an EV. It's all I commute in anymore, and it's great. I'd pay more for it in my next vehicle as long as performance is as good or better than the gas-only vehicle. I'm not paying more to go slower.

What remains to be seen is how these are intended. Are they just half-assed compliance-mobiles or are they actually well thought-out plug-ins?
Ask your new boss?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Ask your new boss?
:lolol:

That's all still TBD.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:42 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Ask your new boss?

That's all still TBD.
RenEgade or eCompass wouldn't be a bad :koolaid: commuter.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:42 pm

That's all still TBD.
I'm all about the eOverlander Wrangler.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:46 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:43 pm

+

ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:50 pm

+

I can already hear instagram going :triggered:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm

+

:fakenews: you don't instagram.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm
:fakenews: you don't instagram.
Instagram is lyfe bro...can feel it in the universe.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm That being said, I think that this Renegade is :neat: and it's probably the thing that most people should be getting for DD's if they want a "rugged" SUV. It seems pretty ideal for :wasteful:
I'm not going to lie...

I love the wife's Renegade.

She's got a Trailhawk in Omaha Orange, with the upgraded radio/Nav (no carplay, doe) and Leather/Cold weather pkg. [user not found] and I ripped the back end off and installed the OEM trailer hitch right after I bought it.

It's a short, nimble car with a great turning circle and is fantastic to drive in the City with the off road tires. I've taken it off road and it's surprisingly very good out there, too - the Trailhawk is lifted vs. a standard model. It's got a ton of quirk and character and I think it beats the Mini in this regard... Great sight lines and visibility, good driving position and it's better equipped than the GTI. Build quality has been decent and it's a fucking FANTASTIC car for us to take Mountain Biking.

I'm over the fact it's slow, and fuel economy has been around 22-24MPG combined with her mainly stop and go 7 mile round trip commute. The 2.4L engine is a little tinny/raspy sounding at around 5k RPM but it's otherwise smooth, and that's my only real issue with the drivetrain. Once I figured out that the 9 speed trans is really programmed as a 6 speed with 3 overdrives, I don't have a complaint with it. Nighttime visibility is a bit poor with the standard headlights - I couldn't find a Trailhawk with the HID option at all... nothing driving with the fog lights on or upgrading halogen bulbs can't fix.

I completely see buying this lease out as long as there's no reliability concerns over the next 2 years.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm That being said, I think that this Renegade is :neat: and it's probably the thing that most people should be getting for DD's if they want a "rugged" SUV. It seems pretty ideal for :wasteful:
I'm not going to lie...

She's got a Trailhawk in Omaha Orange, with the upgraded radio/Nav (no carplay, doe) and Leather/Cold weather pkg. [user not found] and I ripped the back end off and installed the OEM trailer hitch right after I bought it.

It's a short, nimble car with a great turning circle and is fantastic to drive in the City with the off road tires. I've taken it off road and it's surprisingly very good out there, too - the Trailhawk is lifted vs. a standard model. It's got a ton of quirk and character and I think it beats the Mini in this regard... Great sight lines and visibility, good driving position and it's better equipped than the GTI. Build quality has been decent and it's a fucking FANTASTIC car for us to take Mountain Biking.

I'm over the fact it's slow, and fuel economy has been around 22-24MPG combined with her mainly stop and go 7 mile round trip commute. The 2.4L engine is a little tinny/raspy sounding at around 5k RPM but it's otherwise smooth, and that's my only real issue with the drivetrain. Once I figured out that the 9 speed trans is really programmed as a 6 speed with 3 overdrives, I don't have a complaint with it. Nighttime visibility is a bit poor with the standard headlights - I couldn't find a Trailhawk with the HID option at all... nothing driving with the fog lights on or upgrading halogen bulbs can't fix.

I completely see buying this lease out as long as there's no reliability concerns over the next 2 years.
:notbad: Review on the Renegade. :like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

i actually really like the :ramz: of the compass, doesn't scream hybrid like a lot of hybrids does, like Kia Optima or civic, etc.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm not going to lie...

:notbad: Review on the Renegade. :like:
:dat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

29k for a model 3 makes this appealing. :whocares: about "shit quality" these are electric cars with far less moving parts and things to break. Also tesla has been making car for almost 10 years now... so its not like it is a protype, the made nearly 500k of these things, any REAL issues would have been called out. That's an insane # of "beta" testers.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:45 pm

29k for a model 3 makes this appealing. :whocares: about "shit quality" these are electric cars with far less moving parts and things to break. Also tesla has been making car for almost 10 years now... so its not like it is a protype, the made nearly 500k of these things, any REAL issues would have been called out. That's an insane # of "beta" testers.
I don't want a full EV :doe:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

+

The Wrangler Spice Lightning?
:notbad:
Johnny_P

I'm not going to lie...

Yep I like them just wish they weren't so pokey. Which the electric axle should remedy. Great little vehicles with a lot of character.
Johnny_P

Trailhawk. So it'll be off road capable. :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 pm

:fuckyeah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Not initially coming to the US initially. Focusing on 2020 for EU... https://jalopnik.com/the-very-first-plu ... 1833076043
ChrisoftheNorth

:flaccid:

Still want to know about the Wrangler :doe:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm :flaccid:

Man that stupid thing can't get updated soon enough. Surprisingly few issues with the new model. Outside of a few fluke dash issues, + steering crap that seems to be overblown for the most part.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm :flaccid:

Which is a shame, because it would be a perfect vehicle for us. An EV trailhawk that she doesnt use a drop of gas with...

I have a customer with a Panamera Hybrid that is a VP at Comcast, and has a 15 mile drive. She gets EV charging at the parking garage downtown by the Comcast Center, and we brought her car in a few weeks ago for a check engine light. The car has about 6300 miles on it, and she asked if we could fill it with fuel when we dropped it back off...

Turns out it’s the original tank of fuel. Her check engine light was on because of excessive moisture in the fuel and oil from evaporation, causing the faults.