Palatial Airboat Envy: Get Rich or Bankruptcy Tryin'

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:
This house is a money experiment to set us up to build exactly what we want in 6 years, or just live in a thing we like in an area we like for a LONG time. Either option is fine with me.
That is a :fuckyeah: place to be - our goal has been exactly that for some time now. New plan is to hit that status by 2023ish.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 am That was a lot a typing and all my deets are pretty much spilled.

We both have great credit but some how the financial system says I can own TWO $240k houses with JUST my income and not the wife's. :wtf: :thisisfine:

We will have another recession... Its crazy they let people have all the rope to hang themselves then the .gov has to get involved to clean up messes.

FYI, we dumping an FHA loan with life time PMI @ $100/mo to a conventional loan. the rate will be around 4.5%. A construction type loan to finance the reno would be more expensive and put us near a 5% rate. :science:
:nice:
:hai:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:41 am
Replace several windows $4000
dude, just replace ALL the windows on the main house.
okay okay. i hear you but some around the kitchen just arent that bad. Working the budget tonight. The triple window at kitchen is in actually perfect shape.
wap wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 am Besides every facet of this :dill: and :haus: being :wrong: , :nice: job on this and good luck on the :troywax: reno.
Enjoy the journey.
:wrong: 4lyfe. thanks. Hopefully I can stay in a place as long as you sir :wap:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:10 pm
dubshow wrote:
This house is a money experiment to set us up to build exactly what we want in 6 years, or just live in a thing we like in an area we like for a LONG time. Either option is fine with me.
That is a :fuckyeah: place to be - our goal has been exactly that for some time now. New plan is to hit that status by 2023ish.
solid goal. I think that lines up with our plans. We will probably have a crotchfruit in the mix at that point too. Which this house accommodates very well.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:05 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:01 pm

What about it? I already have a nice ztr cub.
You'll forgive me for even questioning your ownership of such an airboat essential. :nevermind:
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:11 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am

:nice:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 am

dude, just replace ALL the windows on the main house.
okay okay. i hear you but some around the kitchen just arent that bad. Working the budget tonight. The triple window at kitchen is in actually perfect shape.
wap wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 am Besides every facet of this :dill: and :haus: being :wrong: , :nice: job on this and good luck on the :troywax: reno.
Enjoy the journey.
It does make the financials look quite good over time if you can manage to :doit: . We'll be here 21 years this May and living that mortgage-free lyfe for year number 2 now. :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:24 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:11 pm

It does make the financials look quite good over time if you can manage to :doit: . We'll be here 21 years this May and living that mortgage-free lyfe for year number 2 now. :megusta:
We're on track to pay our mortgage off in 20 years. Hoping to do it even sooner if possible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:17 pm

We're on track to pay our mortgage off in 20 years. Hoping to do it even sooner if possible.
:fuckyeah:

adult goals! :meatspin:
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 pm
:fuckyeah:

adult goals! :meatspin:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

:fuckyeah: Good luck.

When we were at a little more than a year to go I just said fuck it and threw a bag of cash at it to kill it, so we ended up paying it off in 19 years. It's a great feeling the first time you don't make that monthly payment. :megusta:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Looking at the surrounding area it def looks like you're on the high end of the block, but it's not like it's by some large margin. The only issue would be the money on top of that going into it for fixing stuff up. All depends on what it's worth to you. But you can likely push that value back into it if you need to resell. I don't know what the market is in Red Stick so I can't really comment.
I like the space. Personally, me, I got no problem with unfinished things in a garage, but the rest of the house is kinda mehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Having to fix regular house shit is always more involved since you want it right. For garage shit, you can fix it as good as you like and not have to hear the wife nag about it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:01 pm

What about it? I already have a nice ztr cub.
You'll forgive me for even questioning your ownership of such an airboat essential. :nevermind:
I have an EGO electric mower.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh

Melon wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:09 pm

Go on.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:12 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:09 pm

Go on.
That's it.
It's the self-propelled model because :melon: :waxer:
I love it, no ztr for me, I don't want to store a riding mower. Less room for restorations.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I honestly love how this place looks from the front.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:23 pm I honestly love how this place looks from the front.
The only things changing are probably colors. I will likely diy the fixed shutters into real usable ones. I always liked real shutters.

I'll also swap to a better seal entry door. That will be expensive.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:12 pm
dubshow wrote:
So electrical is mostly minor, inside the house. The back shop/garage has exposed and unfinished wiring in numerous spots. It has dead legs all over. Thats the worst of it. Main panel has overloaded circuits. Ray Ray already has a game plan to install a new panel and meter in a better location. free shit. :millennial:

Several outlets in house are dead. The stove needs a junction box. Right now its just twisted in with tons of tape, easy fix - for sure. The GFCI circuit is messed up and no exterior out is protected. Thats a big no no. Honestly is about 6 hours of work for myself to fix all that.

I am by no means a ZOMG LICENSE DIY BAD person. I DIY most my shit. I just do it correctly.
This isnt awful at all.
Correct. Nothing was a deal breaker. Other than the panel swap (panel is okay and not unsafe) it's all very DIY and most my parts are free. Thanks Ray Ray.

You always have to be critic when spending $0.25M
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 pm
dubshow wrote:
I totally hear you. That is the same voice in the back of my head, and my usual course of action.

Flip side, we WANT a larger eye catching bathroom. The time to do it is NOW before we move in or it will never pan out. Spending $25k now and having a GREAT place to live will increase the value of this sucker to $320k. While I wont be able to maximize the untapped $20k equity, it will pay dividends later when we go to sell it in 5-6 years. It could project into a $340-350k range in 5 years, conservatively, and have some really great features that shine in this area.

in 5 years we will owe about $235k. Thats well over $100k in equity for $25k spent upfront. Plus the perk of loving the place we live in.

I'll share plans soon. PDF has to be converted to jpg.
How many squares is the bathroom?
Currently it's 11x5 with separate toilet shower from vanity. About to post plans. Just finished
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Existing plan, over all:

New bath layout takes over the massive walk in closet

Large existing closet to the left. Thats all getting opened up.

And an attic gallery? Cause I went up there. Its really large.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:43 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Currently it's 11x5 with separate toilet shower from vanity. About to post plans. Just finished
With a cut into the slab you might be a bit low on budget. That's about the size of one of ours and we were quoted about that without a slab issue. BUT that could simply be location difference.
It sounds expensive, and it is. I have the concrete saw. I will work with the plumber and cut what he needs. He will retofit the rough in. I will replace concrete. Contractor will frame up walls, paint, install fixtures and new flooring.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 pm Existing plan, over all:

Quoting to get plans and chit to the second page. Things going well. All financial sent to the bankers.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 pm Existing plan, over all:

that attic insulation needs some halp
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:18 pm

It sounds expensive, and it is. I have the concrete saw. I will work with the plumber and cut what he needs. He will retofit the rough in. I will replace concrete. Contractor will frame up walls, paint, install fixtures and new flooring.
If you can, throw another 5k into that budget. No harm in having it left over.

Always overestimate the budget.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 pm

If you can, throw another 5k into that budget. No harm in having it left over.

Always overestimate the budget.
Good points. Im playing a fast and furious numbers game. I actually had less cash on hand than I thought. Ive had a expensive last 2 months and didnt REALLY expect to be buying a new house so quickly.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Holy shit, that attic space. Man, SO MUCH SPACE FOR ACTIVITIES!
Lol.
You could do something interesting up there if you wanted. That shit's massive. I'd love that kind of storage space.
Desertbreh

Man, you are just Huey P. Long with this nasty bitch.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.