Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 pm

We don't have rust.
If it lived elsewhere it could have rust.
Correct. Doe 99/100 cars out here tend to be local. Some higher elevation cars have rust too since they see snow on the regular. But those ppl usually buy tacomas or other smallish domestic trucks or jeeps
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm

If it lived elsewhere it could have rust.
Correct. Doe 99/100 cars out here tend to be local. Some higher elevation cars have rust too since they see snow on the regular. But those ppl usually buy tacomas or other smallish domestic trucks or jeeps
Yeah. Just saying is all. That older gen Pathfinder is completely extinct in this area due to all of them rusting to shit.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:32 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:29 pm
Yeah. Just saying is all. That older gen Pathfinder is completely extinct in this area due to all of them rusting to shit.
Gen 1 or gen 2? I was looking into a face lifted gen 2.

Btw both 4 runner bros haven't gotten back to me
:disgust:
Johnny_P

What about a Dakota? :melon: just picked up a hella nice one for dirt cheap.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:43 pm What about a Dakota? :melon: just picked up a hella nice one for dirt cheap.
Well I can pick up a WJ for far less than 8k. But that would be crawling through the same car I already had. And I was hoping to do something a little different.
Johnny_P

Jeep Libertys are cheap as shit too. Boat anchor of an engine but I don't think much goes wrong on them. More creature comforts than the Cherokee and almost as capable overall, plus a lot newer. Pick one up for like $3k in good shape..... I mean.... what are you actually going to lose on something like that? $1500 max?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 pm
max225 wrote:
For sure. I sent two emails out. There is a green one I am actually really interested in at a dealer. But they want 9k which is obscene. I'm only willing to offer 7k otd.
So offer it.
I need to see it first. It is next to AZN mk 1. I will if it checks out.

Also found this Juan.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/6068386595.html
2005 Xterra with the :dedong: 4.0 vs the 3.3 of the prior gens. It is the first year of the redesign doe... and it looks like this one popped a tranny, which is a good thing since the 5 speed of that gen is not reliable vs the 4 speed prior. Debating... Do you know any main issues on these?
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/6059798594.html

This is an interesting one... :manuel: and beefy ass tires. I wouldn't it unless it has a new clutch doe... 165k miles on the original is :nope: ville.
Last edited by max225 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/6043783674.html @ [user not found] so the 05+ pathfinder has IRS? I thought it was the same shit as the Frontier?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 pm Also if you need any Carfax let me know. :fax:
Appreciate the offer :like: as always
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:59 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:01 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/6043783674.html @ [user not found] so the 05+ pathfinder has IRS? I thought it was the same shit as the Frontier?
Similar but not the same. Rear is bespoke to the Gasfinder.

The Xterra is closer in relation, mechanically.
Dat double wish boner... Anything on the Xterra I should watch out for or anything with that :manuel: How is it as a transmission?

I am very weary of the 5 speed auto, if it is anything like on the infiniti's then the likely hood of it popping is relatively high.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:02 am
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Dat double wish boner... Anything on the Xterra I should watch out for or anything with that :manuel: How is it as a transmission?

I am very weary of the 5 speed auto, if it is anything like on the infiniti's then the likely hood of it popping is relatively high.
The trans, as long as it's been either replaced or never suffered from the SMOD issue... is fairly stout and will be fine.

It's the same trans used in the Frontier and Titan - relatively overspec'd for duty in the lighter Xterra and Frontier.
Do you know which years or maybe models (maybe all) came with the trans cooler inside the radiator?
I personally know of 3 that grenaded... and given that I see a few "rebuilds" out there. I am a bit :notsure: on the reliability.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:05 am
[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:02 am

The trans, as long as it's been either replaced or never suffered from the SMOD issue... is fairly stout and will be fine.

It's the same trans used in the Frontier and Titan - relatively overspec'd for duty in the lighter Xterra and Frontier.
Do you know which years or maybe models (maybe all) came with the trans cooler inside the radiator?
I personally know of 3 that grenaded... and given that I see a few "rebuilds" out there. I am a bit :notsure: on the reliability.
IIRC it was like 2011 that it got fixed. But. Easy to bypass and block off the trans cooler and then install a small cooler separately for the transmission to get away from the integrated part.

The radiator has a section that is for the transmission but the end tanks just have a partition. The partition degrades and the fluids mix and you get SMOD.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:11 am

IIRC it was like 2011 that it got fixed. But. Easy to bypass and block off the trans cooler and then install a small cooler separately for the transmission to get away from the integrated part.

The radiator has a section that is for the transmission but the end tanks just have a partition. The partition degrades and the fluids mix and you get SMOD.
I did this on my other cars... but you run into some issues with an external cooler like "overcooling" the transmission etc and are technically supposed to run a temp bypass valve for that. Either way not a huge issue. I was mostly curious if I should look for certain model years.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:18 am

2010 was the first year that a change was implemented.
Got it, thanks for the info!
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6090062092.html

2007 Xterra 92K miles $9200. Man such a nice SUV but it is starting to get pricy... A lot of items that needed doing were addressed, shocks, tires, brakes etc. All gone by 100k
max225

Quick updates so far.... I have looked at approximately 100 vehicles online... yes I know :plac: is strong.
Takeaways... no shockers really.
1. Out of the 6 ppl I emailed. 3 didn't respond. The 3 that responded, either didn't answer simple questions, like when the timing belt was last changed.
2. Most ads are written by absolute morons, the craigslist finger starts to show up below 6k in almost every vehicle. IT is like everyone with those pieces of shit is paranoid that someone will steal their identity and POS car.
3. This is turning out to be quite a :unicorn: quest, since cars are either beat to shit, or way too expensive or both.
4. The supply of nicer 4x4s that are older is quite low and the prices are all over the board.
5. I have narrowed it down to either a Pathfinder (00-04), Xterra (05-08) or 4 Runner 97-02. They all seem to hover around 6-8k and can be had with more or less OK miles (<150k) and some kind of owner that at least knows brand of car they are driving. I can't make up my mind on the 05-09 Pathfinders since they feature a 3rd row and seem to be quite a bit larger than the others. I don't want/need a behemoth.

:notsure: where i'll go next. As of right now the only vehicle I truly like is a $9k 142k mile 1999 4 Runner. Which in my mind doesn't compute. KBB is $6800 for retail. PP is usually under 7k for that (the two I emailed were 5800 and 5200 respectively)
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 pm I'd probably avoid the later Gasfinder - if you don't need the extra room, you'll really hate it on the trail. Longer overhangs, longer wheelbase, and a shorter break over angle do not a fun trail truck make.
That's the issue I had on the suburban, while it had the ground clearance, the long wheel base made a lot of things quite a chore. I am not going rock crawling by any means, but I do want a bit more capability than the suburban which I thought was pretty blah.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:24 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 pm

That's the issue I had on the suburban, while it had the ground clearance, the long wheel base made a lot of things quite a chore. I am not going rock crawling by any means, but I do want a bit more capability than the suburban which I thought was pretty blah.
Something I would consider is the ability to fold the seats flat and sleep in the back.

Can you do that in either of the vehicles you're considering now?
I am not 100% sure, but I am also not expecting to sleep in the car. I think I may check out the 2002 Pathfinder for $5200 today, unfortunately it is raining cats and dogs today so I wouldn't be able to gauge whether there are any fluid leaks and if the paint is peeling. Both of which are deal breakers or negotiating points. :disgust:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 pm Dunno - paint peeling, rattlecan it. Then who cares about scratches off-road.
:dat:
max225

So I drove the 2002 pathfinder se.
The good
1. Drove very decent, tracked straight
2. Decent power, transmission shifted good
3. Overall the size of this thing is damn near perfect. Non behemoth and not tiny and useless like a Q3.
4. No weird noises/shakes etc
5. Didn't see any fluid leaks/no rust etc
6. New battery

The bad.
1. 1 owner like new wasn't exactly as advertised. Shocker ! I know... apparently they were trying to get the bumper repainted ... and the car got broken into. They stole the wheels/tires/lights.
It is all fixed ... but 3 wheels are the same and proper and 1 is from the prior gen . :wtf: all tires are matching and new doe.
2. Brakes were really soft, not sure why ... fluid looked darkish so I'd have to change it. No biggie.
Also this thing has drums in the back :disgust:
3. I told my dad about this idea and he fking hated it. Said Pathfinder is the ugliest car nissan makes etc
4. I may have smelled something when driving... not sure doe... the cats seem to be a problem point for these cars. No CE lights.

Overall I'm debating it ... i think the pathfinder will be near worthless next year in case I wanted To get rid of it ?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 pm Wheels can be fixed. But a car that's been broken into?

Either negotiate them hard or bail.
They smashed the window which was replaced ....
locks are working and it has the luxurious keyless feature
Johnny_P

I like that gen Pathfinder. If its without rust its a good car overall I think. Worthless on a trade. I mean, totally worthless. You'd have to re-sell it on :crang: slist.

Wheels could be fixed, just get some steel black ones with off road tires. Would want to see what all was "fixed" after the break in. Maintenance history, etc. I'd actually place maintenance history higher on the list than most other things, even the exact vehicle it is, because at the $5k price point the ownership experience will depend heavily on how it was treated prior.
Johnny_P

I don't know much about that gen truck. A friend had a Passport of that era when I was in high school, IIRC they were about the same. His was a stick. I liked that truck. Rust eventually killed it.