Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:31 pm Fucking hole in my new CX tire. Gonna try to patch it with gorilla tape.
Tubeless, man.... still doesn’t work quite as well as it should.
:disappoint:

I have now done two rides on my new tubeless setup. I met my buddy at a new to me park last night and did a short ride, it's got about five miles of really fun single track (fast/flowy) and a big jump part in the middle. My jumping skills are terribad but still fun.

This morning I did about 10 miles of my local trails and 10 miles in the neighborhood/greenway going to them. Overall I am quite happy with the bike. the 30T front with 11-36 rear seems to pretty much cover the bases for me. It's not going to wow with top end on the road, but it isn't 'dangerously slow' either. I think it will work out nicely for my needs around here. The new :225: (Maxxis Minion SS) is definitely :muah: compared to my old worn out rubber.

I am kind of :notsure: on the dropper post. It seems cool... I liked it last night on the fast, flowy trail. My chunky trails here... :iono: My knee was also acting up/hurting, which I think may be due to pedaling with the post dropped while on faster descents/jump lines. Jury is still out for me... I'd like to get better at humping and stuff but have zero confidence with it, part of me feels like I should stay in my lane as a 32 year old with more cross country/single track leanings rather than trying to be some BMX bro.

That said, watching 12 year olds get 6 feet in the air at the park last night was pretty awesome, I sort of want to :doit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:34 pm

:disappoint:

I have now done two rides on my new tubeless setup. I met my buddy at a new to me park last night and did a short ride, it's got about five miles of really fun single track (fast/flowy) and a big jump part in the middle. My jumping skills are terribad but still fun.

This morning I did about 10 miles of my local trails and 10 miles in the neighborhood/greenway going to them. Overall I am quite happy with the bike. the 30T front with 11-36 rear seems to pretty much cover the bases for me. It's not going to wow with top end on the road, but it isn't 'dangerously slow' either. I think it will work out nicely for my needs around here. The new :225: (Maxxis Minion SS) is definitely :muah: compared to my old worn out rubber.

I am kind of :notsure: on the dropper post. It seems cool... I liked it last night on the fast, flowy trail. My chunky trails here... :iono: My knee was also acting up/hurting, which I think may be due to pedaling with the post dropped while on faster descents/jump lines. Jury is still out for me... I'd like to get better at humping and stuff but have zero confidence with it, part of me feels like I should stay in my lane as a 32 year old with more cross country/single track leanings rather than trying to be some BMX bro.

That said, watching 12 year olds get 6 feet in the air at the park last night was pretty awesome, I sort of want to :doit:
Don't worry, I'm terrible at flying too. I need a lot of time at a skills park and definitely need a dropper to get sendy.
That's where being really strong at climbing is :nice: , I can at least keep up overall with just about anyone on trails, even though I may suck with skills/technical. I have gotten better :doe: I probably need to watch some videos on jumping and just go practice some morning at 6 AM when no one is around to watch and psych me out.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

My confidence descending on the trails was vastly improved last year. The Carbonzo plays a huge role in that because I’m so comfortable on it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am not bad at downhill I don't think, just not good either, but improving. Sending it on jumps... we will see how much I can improve, the self preservation sense in me is also strong, particularly as I would be extremely bummed to be off my bike for an extended period (sorry Fled). Since this COVID :bs: cycling is basically my saving grace. Hell, one month of constant cold rain and I was depressed.

I would still like to at least hit basic table tops with aplomb equal to the 9 year old girl that I saw at the park with her dad :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

When I was in CA MTBing multiple times per day, I was a downhill champ. Drops, jumps, etc were ZFG. Looking back on it now, it was pretty risky shit, not sure I'd do that again, I also don't live in an area that has that sort of terrain anyway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am When I was in CA MTBing multiple times per day, I was a downhill champ. Drops, jumps, etc were ZFG. Looking back on it now, it was pretty risky shit, not sure I'd do that again, I also don't live in an area that has that sort of terrain anyway.
Yeah, I was more into high risk activities in my early to mid twenties as well :lolol:

Also, I think you get good at that stuff, comfort level goes up, etc. if you do it all of the time and it's the terrain you're used to. I was in Phoenix last year for work and went for a run/hike on some trails that were also used by MTBers and I thought they were crazy to go over some of the obstacles. They probably would think the same about the creeks, roots, rock gardens we have here that I don't really think twice about.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:25 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am When I was in CA MTBing multiple times per day, I was a downhill champ. Drops, jumps, etc were ZFG. Looking back on it now, it was pretty risky shit, not sure I'd do that again, I also don't live in an area that has that sort of terrain anyway.
Yeah, I was more into high risk activities in my early to mid twenties as well :lolol:

Also, I think you get good at that stuff, comfort level goes up, etc. if you do it all of the time and it's the terrain you're used to. I was in Phoenix last year for work and went for a run/hike on some trails that were also used by MTBers and I thought they were crazy to go over some of the obstacles. They probably would think the same about the creeks, roots, rock gardens we have here that I don't really think twice about.
:dat: for sure.

Though, my biggest crash was bombing down some big terrain shit in Phoenix. I was at my peak, but just somehow missed something and my front wheel stopped when dropping down a boulder (pretty sure I had too much weight on the wheel, just had to have my ass way back, which I usually did, still can't figure out what happened exactly). Over the bars, blood everywhere, could see my white knee cap, wrapped my shirt around it for the 10 mile ride out. 12 stitches on my knee and a gnarly scar that will last forever. Honestly glad it wasn't worse because it could have been WAY worse.

That didn't even slow me down once I healed. I didn't really slow down until I moved the Meatchicken where MTB is downright boring in comparison.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

If there’s no chance of death, is it even worth doing?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:31 pm Fucking hole in my new CX tire. Gonna try to patch it with gorilla tape.
Tubeless, man.... still doesn’t work quite as well as it should.
I mean, you're also hucking a CX bike down MTB trails. :iono:

You've taken them outside of the intended environment.
This happened on forbidden drive
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I did some unintentional offroading this morning on the GP5000s trying to find a way around/through a park. They're fine on grass and terrible on sand. I think anything short of a fat bike is going to be terrible on sand :doe:

Jumping a curb also seemed OK but I really should not do that on the lightweight :ramz:

One of these days I'll ride the superx back to back with the domane but so far I see no reason to keep the superx. If anything maybe I eventually buy a cheaper hybrid to put full fenders and racks on, dunno... heavy bikes really suck when you're small and weak.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote:
Yeah, I was more into high risk activities in my early to mid twenties as well Imageol:

Id do it again because I dont learn. I used to nfg hills when I was younger and MTBing a few times a week. Then I had an instance where I hit a newly fallen tree, went over the handlebars and head hit a rock. My helmet was dented and split, I was out cold for a few minutes and I broke my arm. Cracked my steel frame (or it flexed enough to surface crack, idk), rode on a bare floppy rim all the way home lol. Never told my parents how bad the injuries were until I was older because I knew theyd freak. I did have really bad scrapes and cuts all up my side (couldnt hide that) and I think I also broke a rib or two. I wouldnt crash again, but the 90% blasting down that hill? hell yeah! It was a thrill.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm I did some unintentional offroading this morning on the GP5000s trying to find a way around/through a park. They're fine on grass and terrible on sand. I think anything short of a fat bike is going to be terrible on sand :doe:

Jumping a curb also seemed OK but I really should not do that on the lightweight :ramz:

One of these days I'll ride the superx back to back with the domane but so far I see no reason to keep the superx. If anything maybe I eventually buy a cheaper hybrid to put full fenders and racks on, dunno... heavy bikes really suck when you're small and weak.
I mean... narrow road bike tires are terrible on any loose dirt, especially sand. Image

:derp:
Well yeah. Some of our little roads/alleys have random unpaved sand sections :doe: and I found a couple trying to find a road to connect through a neighborhood this morning.

The main roads in some places are kind of scary with FL drivers and no shoulders. I'm still learning where to go for both surfaces and safety.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:51 pm Well yeah. Some of our little roads/alleys have random unpaved sand sections :doe: and I found a couple trying to find a road to connect through a neighborhood this morning.

The main roads in some places are kind of scary with FL drivers and no shoulders. I'm still learning where to go for both surfaces and safety.
Any levees within riding distance? I wouldn't get rid of that Cannondale just yet.
I don't think there's much of anything besides paved roads and brick roads. I'm going to try out the superx locally at least once before I sell it but I don't anticipate it feeling enough different to keep. It's more likely that I get some kind of :scrooge: old hybrid with full racks/fenders for shit weather errand running - and riding with the wife to make it a little more even between us.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:51 pm
[user not found] wrote:
I mean... narrow road bike tires are terrible on any loose dirt, especially sand. Image

:derp:
Well yeah. Some of our little roads/alleys have random unpaved sand sections :doe: and I found a couple trying to find a road to connect through a neighborhood this morning.

Do you have the paid version of Strava? The route builder could be helpful for finding routes popular/nice for cycling. That is one downside of city living, the cycling sucks. I mean, my area is great because there are greenways, MTB trails, and lots of breweries/restaurants to ride to easily but for road riding the country is way nicer.

I went on a group ride yesterday morning that I had to drive about 25 minutes out of town to the start of and the route was so nice compared to starting here and having to deal with all kinds of crazy drivers, big trucks, traffic, and lights.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I am clear to start riding bikes on Tuesday. Spent yesterday getting all five bikes overhauled and tuned up...

Will probably head out to Mercer for a nice easy loop next weekend. I’m pretty well healed up and Tuesday is 6 weeks post surgery. I’ve been advised by my doctor “not to fall” for the first few weeks 😂

Range of motion is solid. I’m at about 95% recovered but need to ease up on PT as I’ve developed some nasty tendinitis in my wrist, something tailgating happened on my first recovery cycle. We’ll see how it goes. I’m excited.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:49 am I am clear to start riding bikes on Tuesday. Spent yesterday getting all five bikes overhauled and tuned up...

Will probably head out to Mercer for a nice easy loop next weekend. I’m pretty well healed up and Tuesday is 6 weeks post surgery. I’ve been advised by my doctor “not to fall” for the first few weeks 😂

Range of motion is solid. I’m at about 95% recovered but need to ease up on PT as I’ve developed some nasty tendinitis in my wrist, something tailgating happened on my first recovery cycle. We’ll see how it goes. I’m excited.
:fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

I miss having a fast bike. Y’all think I can make the All City feel fast with better wheels or nah?

The Cervelo was a flat out weapon. Fun. Too stiff for me and it never fit quite right. But drop the hammer and it was so fast. I imagine newer road bikes are just as stiff for speed but more compliant.

I guess I could always get a dedicated road bike. I just don’t think I’d use it too much. Seems like a bit of a waste.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am I miss having a fast bike. Y’all think I can make the All City feel fast with better wheels or nah?

The Cervelo was a flat out weapon. Fun. Too stiff for me and it never fit quite right. But drop the hammer and it was so fast. I imagine newer road bikes are just as stiff for speed but more compliant.

I guess I could always get a dedicated road bike. I just don’t think I’d use it too much. Seems like a bit of a waste.
I haven't ridden all that many bikes, but man, the stiffness between steel and carbon is :mindblown:

I mean, it's not a couch, but the acceleration is :megusta: and my steel bike feels like a real turd now after owning the carbon for a while. Granted, there are other differences (tires, gearing, etc), but I don't really think a steel bike will ever feel fast if you've ridden other stuff. I don't really mind the stiffer ride in exchange for :stig: feelings.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:49 am I am clear to start riding bikes on Tuesday. Spent yesterday getting all five bikes overhauled and tuned up...

That is so awesome dude, welcome back!
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:11 am I miss having a fast bike. Y’all think I can make the All City feel fast with better wheels or nah?

I haven't ridden all that many bikes, but man, the stiffness between steel and carbon is :mindblown:

I mean, it's not a couch, but the acceleration is :megusta: and my steel bike feels like a real turd now after owning the carbon for a while. Granted, there are other differences (tires, gearing, etc), but I don't really think a steel bike will ever feel fast if you've ridden other stuff. I don't really mind the stiffer ride in exchange for :stig: feelings.
I mean mine is a cheaper steel bike so it’s not the most efficient. Quality steel can feel pretty good. A less efficient frame plus an extra 10 lbs and heavy wheels and nothing aero are probably all part of the equation. It feels significantly faster on my gravel wheelset as opposed to road because although the tires are a lot fatter those wheels weigh about 1.5 lb less.

Dunno. Kicking around the idea of a new steel CX bike with a carbon fork too. That might work better.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am
D Griff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 am

I mean mine is a cheaper steel bike so it’s not the most efficient. Quality steel can feel pretty good. A less efficient frame plus an extra 10 lbs and heavy wheels and nothing aero are probably all part of the equation. It feels significantly faster on my gravel wheelset as opposed to road because although the tires are a lot fatter those wheels weigh about 1.5 lb less.

Dunno. Kicking around the idea of a new steel CX bike with a carbon fork too. That might work better.
Yeah, my bike was nice steel in the 1980s when it was made, it was a pretty nice bike back then. I assume the tech has changed since then though. I've never ridden a new steel bike other than five minutes on a State Bicycle single speed.

All of this said I still really like my steel bike and have plans to upgrade it soon to be a slightly more enjoyable/ :stig: worthy beer/commuting bike.
troyguitar

Limited experience but IMO wheels and tires are all you need... but I'm fucking slow as hell.

This is going almost as hard as I can with multiple breaks and no hills (but an admittedly high amount of wind):

I don't really care that much because it's sunny and warm, but it's weird to feel so damn slow compared to everyone on the internet when I pass everyone out here in real life so far. I feel like I am 5 mph faster than everyone I encounter here but I'm 5 mph slower than everyone on the internet... :ohwell: :whocares:

ImageImage
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:46 pm Limited experience but IMO wheels and tires are all you need... but I'm fucking slow as hell.

This is going almost as hard as I can with multiple breaks and no hills (but an admittedly high amount of wind):

I don't really care that much because it's sunny and warm, but it's weird to feel so damn slow compared to everyone on the internet when I pass everyone out here in real life so far. I feel like I am 5 mph faster than everyone I encounter here but I'm 5 mph slower than everyone on the internet... :ohwell: :whocares:
Looks awesome dude!

This forum is not a great representation of real world cyclists. I did a group ride Saturday morning and was just kinda :disappoint: the entire time because everyone was so slow. I was constantly dropping the group, then waiting, rinse, repeat. My ride shows 17 mph but I bet most of the group was sub 15. I think that people who ride alone more are probably faster unless you have :stig: friends like [user not found] who have all been involved with cycling very seriously for many years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Looks awesome dude!

This forum is not a great representation of real world cyclists. I did a group ride Saturday morning and was just kinda :disappoint: the entire time because everyone was so slow. I was constantly dropping the group, then waiting, rinse, repeat. My ride shows 17 mph but I bet most of the group was sub 15. I think that people who ride alone more are probably faster unless you have :stig: friends like [user not found] who have all been involved with cycling very seriously for many years.
Yeah, I’ve got a finely cultivated group of riding bros who enjoy tearing each other’s dicks off.

Definitely an outlier.

I use other group rides as interval workouts. Ride in the group, hit a hill, hammer away, wait at the top. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes you find others who are like minded in their approach to riding and that’s how you find new riding friends.
The group I met that I did an 18+ MPH century with the other weekend was fantastic (just a few people I've met). The larger group rides around here, while sometimes fun, also are sort frustrating for me. It has to be considered a "recovery ride" basically.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:46 pm Limited experience but IMO wheels and tires are all you need... but I'm fucking slow as hell.

I had a similar experience when I had the CAAD10. Like you I'd usually average 15-16mph, but that included occasional stops at cross streets and slowing down for walking and slower bike traffic on the trail, etc. I would pass 99/100 people on the bike trails around here, including the rich dudes on $6,000 bikes wearing full lycra. Then I'd have somebody cruise on by me appearing to put out next to 0 effort. I could usually fall in behind them and keep up for a brief stint, but inevitably my legs would start to blow up and I'd have to settle back into my normal pace. It definitely shed some light on what it might take to actually be a "real" cyclist, despite being in halfway decent shape already.