OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yep. The only thing that we DO KNOW is that covid is breaking through vaccinated populations. That's a fact. The subsequent events are TBD.

So one has two options:
1. Raw dog it and give 0 fucks. No different what all the "red" states were doing all of last year. There is a chance you'll get sick, and if you're under 50y/o there is a miniscule chance of your own death. (I can pull the official #s if anyone is curious, but it is far less than 1%).
2. Continue to act with caution and avoid high risk areas. Clubs/gyms/packed bars etc.

it is hard to make blanket statements as there are gyms with 2 dudes in a 1500 sq foot room and there are those with 300 in a 15000 sq foot facility. Chances greatly vary so common sense needs to be exercised. Stay Vigilant my dudes.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm So you are okay with shutting down borders? Very un-left of you.
His point was more if we had higher vaccination rates, the delta wouldn't be that big of a deal. That's what was being communicated when the vaccines hit, that ~80% would reduce variant risk because people wouldn't be letting it go unchecked raw dogging it.
We also absolutely shouldn't be letting sick people into the country.

We needed more strict authoritarian measures. First in the initial lockdown, then in the vaccine rollout, and now again in this variant wave... But we failed to do what was necessary the first two times and we are failing again because MAH RATZ!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 pm Yep. The only thing that we DO KNOW is that covid is breaking through vaccinated populations. That's a fact. The subsequent events are TBD.

So one has two options:
1. Raw dog it and give 0 fucks. No different what all the "red" states were doing all of last year. There is a chance you'll get sick, and if you're under 50y/o there is a miniscule chance of your own death. (I can pull the official #s if anyone is curious, but it is far less than 1%).
2. Continue to act with caution and avoid high risk areas. Clubs/gyms/packed bars etc.

it is hard to make blanket statements as there are gyms with 2 dudes in a 1500 sq foot room and there are those with 300 in a 15000 sq foot facility. Chances greatly vary so common sense needs to be exercised. Stay Vigilant my dudes.
:dat:

Staying educated and using common sense is the way now. We avoid crowds and mask up where we can't.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:36 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 pm

So you are okay with shutting down borders? Very un-left of you.
His point was more if we had higher vaccination rates, the delta wouldn't be that big of a deal. That's what was being communicated when the vaccines hit, that ~80% would reduce variant risk because people wouldn't be letting it go unchecked raw dogging it.
Sure, but the Delta did not originate here. We could be 100% vaccinated in the united states, but then someone from India comes in with a COVID-19 variant (like Delta) could equally fuck us up. This would be a global effort, which has not and probably will not happen.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I guess what I am trying to say is that expecting x% of people to become vaccinated is great in theory, but we know that will never happen. Even if we as the US get to 100%, we need to shut ourselves off from the rest of the world to avoid variants that the vaccine are not as efficient against. COVID-19 does NOT mutate solely in the United States. So the reality is we have to come up with a realistic way forward, with that in mind. And yes, there are completely idiotic non-vax people out there but they are not solely at fault.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

CDC issued indoor mask mandate... EL OH EL. Yea ok thanks ... 3-4 weeks too late.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:CDC issued indoor mask mandate... EL OH EL. Yea ok thanks ... 3-4 weeks too late.
And it's a waste of time. Morans won't follow it anyway and this shit will persist indefinitely.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:26 pm
max225 wrote:CDC issued indoor mask mandate... EL OH EL. Yea ok thanks ... 3-4 weeks too late.
And it's a waste of time. Morans won't follow it anyway and this shit will persist indefinitely.

:amazing:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 pm Yep. The only thing that we DO KNOW is that covid is breaking through vaccinated populations. That's a fact. The subsequent events are TBD.

So one has two options:

I missed a lot of this discussion over the past couple of weeks...

I have pretty much been living by option 1. since my vaccine took full efficacy (been to a couple of concerts, air travel, bars, you name it). Sadly I think you're right and it's about time to roll on back to masks and exercising more caution.

:disappoint:

It's also sad but true that the Left is now doing similar :bs: to what the Right did last year. We got a new administration and they jumped the gun on dumping masks and other measures, clearly. They put off bringing measures back into play to not look :wrong: .

I do think evidence points to the vaccines reducing the chances of getting the 'VID (even Delta) and even more greatly reduces chances of hospitalization/death, so I don't intend to go back to lockdown mode, but I guess things like night life are back off the table.

I'm curious if employers will do anything with this. We are just getting back to part-time office life and stuff; I know half or more of the team I'm on is unvaxxed for reasons.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:37 pm

So one has two options:

I have pretty much been living by option 1. since my vaccine took full efficacy (been to a couple of concerts, air travel, bars, you name it). Sadly I think you're right and it's about time to roll on back to masks and exercising more caution.

It's also sad but true that the Left is now doing similar :bs: to what the Right did last year. We got a new administration and they jumped the gun on dumping masks and other measures, clearly. They put off bringing measures back into play to not look :wrong: .

I do think evidence points to the vaccines reducing the chances of getting the 'VID (even Delta) and even more greatly reduces chances of hospitalization/death, so I don't intend to go back to lockdown mode, but I guess things like night life are back off the table.

I'm curious if employers will do anything with this. We are just getting back to part-time office life and stuff; I know half or more of the team I'm on is unvaxxed for reasons.
I'd love to see the data you used to make that statement.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm

It's more based on lack of data, I have seen extremely low numbers of vaxxed individuals dying. I admittedly haven't researched this in great depth at all though.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:36 pm
Sure, but the Delta did not originate here. We could be 100% vaccinated in the united states, but then someone from India comes in with a COVID-19 variant (like Delta) could equally fuck us up. This would be a global effort, which has not and probably will not happen.
If we had 100% vaccination, this would be a non-issue. Someone coming over from India with the infection would not equally fuck us up because it would be one person among 329.4 million vaccinated.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

The CDC's website lists 5914 reported breakthrough cases that involved hospitalization, and 1141 of those cases resulted in death.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/h ... cases.html
Desertbreh

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 pm

The CDC's website lists 5914 reported breakthrough cases that involved hospitalization, and 1141 of those cases resulted in death.
74% being people 65 or older. Shit boy howdy, you should see some of the olds out and about in this around this area like they are marching with the ark of the covenant in front of them.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 pm

If we had 100% vaccination, this would be a non-issue. Someone coming over from India with the infection would not equally fuck us up because it would be one person among 329.4 million vaccinated.
That’s not my point (BTW I am not anti-vax). But I am stating simply if someone brought over a variant that the vaccine is less effective against and more transmissible, even with the vaccine, then it would still be transmissible. 330 million vaccinated against early variants but not as effective to delta (or whatever new one pops up) still means we would be dealing with it.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

We haven't eaten out in the blessed lands yet, we did however go to a little joint in Corolla NC a few times while on vacation. Actually we ate there twice and ordered take out for my Pescatarian/Lactarian daughter twice. It was run by supposedly the first Jamaican owned restaurant in the area and we actually forwent our traditional dress-up-fancy-last-night-of-vacation dinner™ to go back. I have been recreating their dishes (one of my few talents) at home since . Namely their Mahi tacos with Mango Salsa, Jalapeño slaw and Avocado Crema and their Black and Blue Ahi Tuna Steaks.

max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:27 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 pm

74% being people 65 or older. Shit boy howdy, you should see some of the olds out and about in this around this area like they are marching with the ark of the covenant in front of them.
They are the ones that died before and they are the ones still dying. Nothing new here. I'll post up the actual death rates because we need some :fax: up in this bitch.
max225

Cases 602k Deaths 174
5-11
Cases 1.1M Deaths 123
12-15
Cases 1.05M Deaths 134
16-17
Cases 702k Deaths 94
18-29
Cases 6.3M Deaths 2794 0.04%
30-39
Cases 4.6M Deaths 6309 0.1%
40-49
Cases 4.1M Deaths 15300
50-64
Cases 5.6M Deaths 77600 1.3%
65-74
Cases 2M Deaths 108500
75-84
Cases 1M Deaths 137,320
85+
Cases 609k Deaths 154,379

So yea... Do I think I am going to die from this... :iono: data says highly unlikely. But I still don't want it.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

Data source.
max225

I also feel like the 75+ numbers need to be generally excluded from this. Because that is ABOVE the life expectancy and there is likely at least multiple underlying health conditions at that point that muddies the :math:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:17 pm I also feel like the 75+ numbers need to be generally excluded from this. Because that is ABOVE the life expectancy and there is likely at least multiple underlying health conditions at that point that muddies the :math:
5% at 65-74 is still pretty much :yikes: :doe:

We don't want our parents getting this shit.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:31 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:17 pm I also feel like the 75+ numbers need to be generally excluded from this. Because that is ABOVE the life expectancy and there is likely at least multiple underlying health conditions at that point that muddies the :math:

Yep but there is some bleed in with bad health and life expectancy at this point... lots of people die in that age group of multiple causes. 50% of my parents are gone... and same goes with many of my friends also unfortunately. The Covid numbers at that age group undoubtedly are BAD, but its really hard to sift through complicating factors.. bad hearts... diabetes ... high BP etc. All of which are common place at that point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Yep but there is some bleed in with bad health and life expectancy at this point... lots of people die in that age group of multiple causes. 50% of my parents are gone... and same goes with many of my friends also unfortunately. The Covid numbers at that age group undoubtedly are BAD, but its really hard to sift through complicating factors.. bad hearts... diabetes ... high BP etc. All of which are common place at that point.
:notwrong: similar to what you said about the 75+ set. In many of these cases, I think the 'VID was the sort of straw that broke the camels back. Some were probably just coincidental as well. Even still, it's a pretty alarming rate.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:45 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:34 pm

:notwrong: similar to what you said about the 75+ set. In many of these cases, I think the 'VID was the sort of straw that broke the camels back. Some were probably just coincidental as well. Even still, it's a pretty alarming rate.
personally if I was 65+ I would stay the fuck home... and only go to outside events with limited crows and certainly avoid major human cesspools. It seems to be a real threat for them.

At my age... :aintcare: that much. But I am cognizant of my elders. If I go to an underground rave, I don't go kissing my dad on the cheek the morning after.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:45 pm

personally if I was 65+ I would stay the fuck home... and only go to outside events with limited crows and certainly avoid major human cesspools. It seems to be a real threat for them.

At my age... :aintcare: that much. But I am cognizant of my elders. If I go to an underground rave, I don't go kissing my dad on the cheek the morning after.
Yep, manslaughtering my parents was/is my main concern throughout all of this shit...
max225

First data out of LA county..
During a period from July 1 through 16, the county reported 13,598 cases, and the unvaccinated represented 74% of all the cases. Fully vaccinated residents accounted for 26% of infections, or 3,592 cases, Ferrer shared.
This for now still suggests that unvaccinated get sick at significantly higher rates... but still early in the data cycle. Also obviously it is no where near 90% + effective