Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:27 am I think an Outback would be terrible. We spend 100% of our time driving INSIDE the car and interacting with the the car from that standpoint. Shit that keeps an eye on my eye, overly protective nannies and then sub menus and minimal physical buttons makes me want to run into traffic just at the thought of it.
Same. The lane keep functions can be turned off entirely, but the driver monitoring systems and overactive front assist are there to stay. There's no getting away from some of it if you buy a new enough car, but Subaru definitely seems to have some of the most intrusive tech. Then there's the CVT, which no doubt would be :rage:-inducing. I just couldn't stomach paying hundreds of dollars per month for a car, whether that was the 4R or the Outback, that I knew I had zero intention of ever keeping.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've never once had the front collision thing go off on the Cucktrek unwarranted. Adaptive cruise can act wonky in city traffic, so I don't use it. Lane keep is pretty decent except on tighter 2 lane roads. :iono: I like the tech, adapt or die these days.

I thought I'd hate the CVT and that's not bad either.

The biggest issue with the Outback is the screen and lack of physical buttons. That's just shit UI that would get really old fast.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

In other news, I really want a 4x4 Sprinter as our second vehicle. Could tow the boat, haul stuff, and we could spend extended time camping in it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:37 am I've never once had the front collision thing go off on the Cucktrek unwarranted. Adaptive cruise can act wonky in city traffic, so I don't use it. Lane keep is pretty decent except on tighter 2 lane roads. :iono: I like the tech, adapt or die these days.

The biggest issue with the Outback is the screen and lack of physical buttons. That's just shit UI that would get really old fast.
I choose death. I had the front collision go off on me twice on my 10 minute test drive and not just give me a warning, but actually apply the brakes. :nope: Both instances where while there was a car turning right ahead of me. I'd removed my foot from the accelerator and had my foot hovering over the brake in the event they didn't turn quickly enough, but both times I was still multiple car lengths away and it still applied the brakes. :aintcare: about lane keep, I can turn it off and it stays off. I took another test drive of a used one and I hated the CVT. Maybe it's the pairing with the turbo, but it was terrible. Then yeah, add in the lack of physical controls, and I'm out. I would have picked the 4R, fuel economy be damned.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 am Well, I've decided to hold off on selling the GTI for now. What precipitated the whole :plac: move was my wife returning to the office more or less full time starting Sep 1, but with the delta variant and all of the case numbers heading entirely the wrong direction, her and my return-to-work plans are now put on hold indefinitely. If neither one of us is going to the office, there's zero reason to have a second car for kid-ferrying duties. Thanks covid?
:nice:

I like the Acura SUVs as well, if I had to drive a minivan, they are OK. Glad to hear the GTI is staying for now :doe: , better for :scrooge: and :stig: AND :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:37 am I've never once had the front collision thing go off on the Cucktrek unwarranted. Adaptive cruise can act wonky in city traffic, so I don't use it. Lane keep is pretty decent except on tighter 2 lane roads. :iono: I like the tech, adapt or die these days.

I choose death. I had the front collision go off on me twice on my 10 minute test drive and not just give me a warning, but actually apply the brakes. :nope: :aintcare: about lane keep, I can turn it off and it stays off. I took another test drive of a used one and I hated the CVT. Maybe it's the pairing with the turbo, but it was terrible. Then yeah, add in the lack of physical controls, and I'm out. I would have picked the 4R, fuel economy be damned.
So weird. 2k miles on our Cucktrek and seriously not one front collision intervention. Not even a warning, and we drive with traffic all the time. The Cucktrek is probably employing older tech that might be less aggressive? It is with the screen and buttons, and I'm happy about it. Might be the last Subaru worth having before they're all ruined other than a BRZ.

I could see the CVT and TURBRO being crappy. I actually think the CVT and the 2.0 could be painful in the CT. Ample linear power delivery is best case scenario for a CVT.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:49 am :nice:

I like the Acura SUVs as well, if I had to drive a minivan, they are OK. Glad to hear the GTI is staying for now :doe: , better for :scrooge: and :stig: AND :fuckyeah:
Yeah man, we loved our RDX. The MDX drives really nicely, I was just stuck on this idea that I needed whatever I bought to fit in the garage. The MDX is really wide and there's zero chance it would fit, but if I ever get myself a dedicated fun car we'll have something sitting outside anyway unless or until we move. Might as well get used to the idea and also get something I'd prefer driving.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:49 am :nice:

Yeah man, we loved our RDX. The MDX drives really nicely, I was just stuck on this idea that I needed whatever I bought to fit in the garage. The MDX is really wide and there's zero chance it would fit, but if I ever get myself a dedicated fun car we'll have something sitting outside anyway unless or until we move. Might as well get used to the idea and also get something I'd prefer driving.
We do have better weather here, but I've been parking outside for 16 years :aintcare:

It would be cool to park in a garage someday and I aspire to that, but for a family hauler, it's not so bad. Leave the bay open for the fun.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I choose death. I had the front collision go off on me twice on my 10 minute test drive and not just give me a warning, but actually apply the brakes. :nope: Both instances where while there was a car turning right ahead of me. I'd removed my foot from the accelerator and had my foot hovering over the brake in the event they didn't turn quickly enough, but both times I was still multiple car lengths away and it still applied the brakes. :aintcare: about lane keep, I can turn it off and it stays off. I took another test drive of a used one and I hated the CVT. Maybe it's the pairing with the turbo, but it was terrible. Then yeah, add in the lack of physical controls, and I'm out. I would have picked the 4R, fuel economy be damned.
Multiple reviews have stated they hate the turbo / CVT combo but they never elaborate on why. They also state the NA motor / CVT combo feels totally fine if a bit slow.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:51 am So weird. 2k miles on our Cucktrek and seriously not one front collision intervention. Not even a warning, and we drive with traffic all the time. The Cucktrek is probably employing older tech that might be less aggressive? It is with the screen and buttons, and I'm happy about it. Might be the last Subaru worth having before they're all ruined other than a BRZ.

I could see the CVT and TURBRO being crappy. I actually think the CVT and the 2.0 could be painful in the CT. Ample linear power delivery is best case scenario for a CVT.
The nonlinear aspect of the powerband is definitely what seemed to cause the issues for me. The CVT would flash up to allow the engine to start making some power, then increase the gear ratio quickly to bring the RPMs back down. Lots of surging and fading and unexpected responses in general.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I think the turbo helps the CVT shittiness a bit. A fat mid range can hide the rubber band like feel.

For the driver monitoring: I just pulled the entire thing out and bought the trim piece of the models that don't have it :lolol:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am In other news, I really want a 4x4 Sprinter as our second vehicle. Could tow the boat, haul stuff, and we could spend extended time camping in it.
They’re super reliable too
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:56 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:51 am So weird. 2k miles on our Cucktrek and seriously not one front collision intervention. Not even a warning, and we drive with traffic all the time. The Cucktrek is probably employing older tech that might be less aggressive? It is with the screen and buttons, and I'm happy about it. Might be the last Subaru worth having before they're all ruined other than a BRZ.

The nonlinear aspect of the powerband is definitely what seemed to cause the issues for me. The CVT would flash up to allow the engine to start making some power, then increase the gear ratio quickly to bring the RPMs back down. Lots of surging and fading and unexpected responses in general.
:disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 am

Multiple reviews have stated they hate the turbo / CVT combo but they never elaborate on why. They also state the NA motor / CVT combo feels totally fine if a bit slow.
I've been thinking a lot about it because I just don't hate it like I thought I would. I think the 2.5 Cucktrek is a bit unique maybe because the power is adequate for the car. It doesn't have to rev much to make power, so it always feels like it's in the right "gear". It doesn't wind up and stay wound up because the power gets it going fine everywhere in the rev range. The only time it feels CVT rubberbandy is when you want to pass someone and you accelerate to go around. And even then, it doesn't stay pegged at max RPM, the fake gears work great.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 am In other news, I really want a 4x4 Sprinter as our second vehicle. Could tow the boat, haul stuff, and we could spend extended time camping in it.
Sarcasm? I know nothing about them, just starting to research now.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 am

I've been thinking a lot about it because I just don't hate it like I thought I would. I think the 2.5 Cucktrek is a bit unique maybe because the power is adequate for the car. It doesn't have to rev much to make power, so it always feels like it's in the right "gear". It doesn't wind up and stay wound up because the power gets it going fine everywhere in the rev range. The only time it feels CVT rubberbandy is when you want to pass someone and you accelerate to go around. And even then, it doesn't stay pegged at max RPM, the fake gears work great.
That has been my experience with CVTs as well. But I’ve never tried a turbo CVT combo.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:22 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am

No! My dad had a bunch throughout his work in courier/logistics.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:22 am
No! My dad had a bunch throughout his work in courier/logistics.
Interesting.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/traver ... 32904.html

Maybe in a year these will be more affordable. Everyone wants #vanlyfe right now. I bet the market will be flooded in a year or so.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:37 am https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/traver ... 32904.html

Maybe in a year these will be more affordable. Everyone wants #vanlyfe right now. I bet the market will be flooded in a year or so.
62k for a glorified rape van. :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:37 am https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/traver ... 32904.html

Yea, no shit. These prices are insanity. Still, it's my perfect 2nd vehicle.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:42 am
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 am

Some of those things have gotten enormous. Like they are legit 8/9 feet tall.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:22 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:05 pm

:notsure:
I mean it has a warranty :iono:

Even a 16 year old Toyota will need stuff often.
The Bimmer has been out of warranty for 6 months or so. Still I agree with you it has been very trouble free so far.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

IIRC the 4x4 sprinters have some weird quirks to the drive line. My roommate and a couple friends have looked into them expensively and none have purchased. They're also really slow. I think I would personally 4x4 convert a Transit Ecoboost if I wanted the high roof which I'm sure you do, or if not go with a 4x4 converted GM van with the new 6.6 gas v8. That's just my preference though. I've only driven a bromaster, but my brother has driven all of them and liked the Ford's power train the best.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:58 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:42 am
Some of those things have gotten enormous. Like they are legit 8/9 feet tall.
Yep. I want to be able to stand up in it, so I'm ok with that.