Gberg's GTI Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 pm Took the car to the VW diller. The water is leaking from the inner door panel which the insurance body shop had to remove to fix a dent from the deer hit. I originally took it to them this past Monday and of course they claimed innocence and said it wasn't because of the work they did. Told me to go to the VW dealer and have it looked at. :yeahok:. 6+ years of ownership with no leaks then it starts leaking soon after they did work on the door. GTFO. It has EVERYTHING to do with the repairs they made. The metal is deformed behind the inner door plate so it doesn't seal properly which allows the water to drain down into the car. I will also be demanding either Geico or the body shop reimburse me the $240 it cost to have the VW diller diagnose it. I have a write-up from VW service explaining the problem and I'll be dropping the car off Monday to hopefully get it fixed.

While I was there I did look at the GoRf. It's nice and all but I can't really justify it after driving a Mk7 PP GTI. The :dillerman: didn't realize he gave me a DSG car but it was fine since I've never driven a DSG GTI before. It was cool but I think I still prefer :manuel:. The last time I drove a Mk7 was about 2 years ago and it did not have the PP. Even though it was damp out, the way the LSD pulls the car out of turns is amazing.

Images no work
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So you switched to mk7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 pm Took the car to the VW diller. The water is leaking from the inner door panel which the insurance body shop had to remove to fix a dent from the deer hit. I originally took it to them this past Monday and of course they claimed innocence and said it wasn't because of the work they did. Told me to go to the VW dealer and have it looked at. :yeahok:. 6+ years of ownership with no leaks then it starts leaking soon after they did work on the door. GTFO. It has EVERYTHING to do with the repairs they made. The metal is deformed behind the inner door plate so it doesn't seal properly which allows the water to drain down into the car. I will also be demanding either Geico or the body shop reimburse me the $240 it cost to have the VW diller diagnose it. I have a write-up from VW service explaining the problem and I'll be dropping the car off Monday to hopefully get it fixed.

While I was there I did look at the GoRf. It's nice and all but I can't really justify it after driving a Mk7 PP GTI. The :dillerman: didn't realize he gave me a DSG car but it was fine since I've never driven a DSG GTI before. It was cool but I think I still prefer :manuel:. The last time I drove a Mk7 was about 2 years ago and it did not have the PP. Even though it was damp out, the way the LSD pulls the car out of turns is amazing.

Images no work
Can only see on tapatalk post list

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:like:
Thanks.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Changed image links to imgur so they should work now.

No change to Mk7 just yet. I just drove my first PP equipped GTI today and I thought it was great. I'm going to hold out for the Mk7 refresh though. These are the cars I've driven so far. I'll check out a WRX once the 2018's arrive.
  • '17 Mk7 GTI PP
    '16 Mk7 Golf R
    '16 Camaro SS
    '16 Mustang GT (auto) & '14 Mustang GT (manual)
    '17 Mini JCW
And on another note, my mirror adjustment switch and passenger window switch on the driver door no longer light up. Probably due to water pouring into them. Of course you can't just replace small bulbs as that would be too easy. The entire switch needs to be replaced. ECS only sells a window switch kit for both doors at $186 and a mirror adjustment knob is $64 on sale. :nope:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Body shop still claims they didn't bend the metal on the door they repaired and it's now up to Geico on whether or not to fix it. I guess magneto bent the inside of the door back? No one has an explanation as to how metal just bends on its own. I am well beyond pissed. :rage:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:24 pm Body shop still claims they didn't bend the metal on the door they repaired and it's now up to Geico on whether or not to fix it. I guess magneto bent the inside of the door back? No one has an explanation as to how metal just bends on its own. I am well beyond pissed. :rage:
Maybe explain to those :derp: :derp: that the deer might have bent the metal?

What a bunch of retards.

PLACON-3
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:24 pm Body shop still claims they didn't bend the metal on the door they repaired and it's now up to Geico on whether or not to fix it. I guess magneto bent the inside of the door back? No one has an explanation as to how metal just bends on its own. I am well beyond pissed. :rage:
Maybe explain to those :derp: :derp: that the deer might have bent the metal?

What a bunch of retards.

PLACON-3
The car's been in the shop since Thursday. They've never seen a Mk6 leaking how mine does and have no idea how to fix it. Amazing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 am
Gberg2119 wrote: The car's been in the shop since Thursday. They've never seen a Mk6 leaking how mine does and have no idea how to fix it. Amazing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hey, I've got an idea... install a new door.
:notsure:

Entire carrier panel is being replaced. They should have the panel tomorrow morning and will install and water test. Hopefully that fixes it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apparently Mk6 GTI's can leak water through the speaker in the door and it's a common problem. :iono: I don't buy it. All the searches I've done the water leaks are usually caused by sunroof drains and door seals, not water coming from behind the speaker.

One thing I do know is that I have to get rid of it. :plac:
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:53 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:00 pm Changed image links to imgur so they should work now.

No change to Mk7 just yet. I just drove my first PP equipped GTI today and I thought it was great. I'm going to hold out for the Mk7 refresh though. These are the cars I've driven so far. I'll check out a WRX once the 2018's arrive.
  • '17 Mk7 GTI PP
    '16 Mk7 Golf R
    '16 Camaro SS
    '16 Mustang GT (auto) & '14 Mustang GT (manual)
    '17 Mini JCW
And on another note, my mirror adjustment switch and passenger window switch on the driver door no longer light up. Probably due to water pouring into them. Of course you can't just replace small bulbs as that would be too easy. The entire switch needs to be replaced. ECS only sells a window switch kit for both doors at $186 and a mirror adjustment knob is $64 on sale. :nope:
PLACON 2.
Camaro.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Camaro.
I've been seeing quite a few around lately.

I approve of the Camaro man.
The Camaro is definitely the one I want but I just don't think it would be sensible to daily drive one in the northeast. It's also the most expensive of the cars I've been looking at. The whole slow car fast or fast car slow debate comes in to play here as well.

A hot hatch is the front-runner because :scrooge: and sensibility.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:31 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:17 am

The Camaro is definitely the one I want but I just don't think it would be sensible to daily drive one in the northeast. It's also the most expensive of the cars I've been looking at. The whole slow car fast or fast car slow debate comes in to play here as well.

A hot hatch is the front-runner because :scrooge: and sensibility.
Trying to stay :manuel: too, right?
Yep. :manuel: only.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:25 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:19 am

Yep. :manuel: only.
Was gonna say, look at the S3... but nvm.
I did briefly think about them. The last time I checked used ones they were holding their value pretty well. IIRC most were still over $40k.

A sepang blue S3 with a :manuel: would be :tits:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So I picked the car up this past Wednesday night. Supposedly the water leak is fixed but of course, the sting of :mahtroy: luck continues with this GTI. On my way home from work Thursday night the clutch was slipping and slipping bad. Also did it on Friday night as well. The car was with 2 different dealer body shops over the last week. Of course, the clutch was fine prior to leaving it with both body shops. I can't make this shit up.

I have since switched the tune back to stock with the hopes of parting out when the weather gets nicer and plac'ing to something else.

:rage:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:Apparently Mk6 GTI's can leak water through the speaker in the door and it's a common problem. :iono: I don't buy it. All the searches I've done the water leaks are usually caused by sunroof drains and door seals, not water coming from behind the speaker.

One thing I do know is that I have to get rid of it. :plac:
Dang. I almost forgot about how my mk6 used to do that as well. My mk7 has never done that. That was annoying

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Maybe a Golf R? :iono: although cost roughly the same as the slowmaro and moostang.

dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Any reason a Focus RS isn't on the list of possibilities?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:36 pm Maybe a Golf R? :iono: although cost roughly the same as the slowmaro and moostang.

Can't really justify the $40k for an R now knowing how good a performance pack GTI is. I WANT the camaro but I'll likely :scrooge: and just go either GTI or WRX.
dtraill27 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 am Any reason a Focus RS isn't on the list of possibilities?
From sitting in a FiST and FoST the recaros are just not comfortable at all. They look a tiny bit different in the FoRS but they're probably pretty similar. Not sure I want to buy a $40k car and hope the seats break in. Every review also seems to make note of how awful the ride quality is. Long term reliability is also questionable.

Plus I believe the :dillerman: are still playing games with them on pricing.