Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:46 am Rented a Mazderp3 last week. Pretty nice car, I quite like these. Mazda really nails the tech thing and just not going overboard in so many dumb ways. The old six speed auto, no touch screens, etc. feels refreshing as hell after so many convoluted rentals. Also, I averaged 35 MPG which was pretty satisfactory. Drives nice, looks great inside/out, car just works and does what you expect unlike so many things. Only real downside is it's slow as balls and no real steering feel.
I had a CX-30 as a rental for a week. It was great for what it was. Mazda gets a lot correct with their cars. Their infotainment being knob controlled, no touchscreen, widescreen, and in your line of sight seems like a no brainer. Yet, they're the only ones really doing that.

Also, the old six speed is much, much better than pretty much every CVT out there.

Only things I didn't like about the Mazda3 when I was considering one years ago: It's a bit too cramped for a daily for me, and the rear suspension wasn't great. You can definitely feel the torsion beam vs it's competitors. Not a huge deal and most won't care, but it's noticeable.
Agreed on all of that. It's funny how they were the ZoomZoom company for so long and now they're more like an entry luxury offering. The handling on the 3 is certainly good enough but nothing super sporty.

It's amazing how quickly I get used to the scroll knob CarPlay interface though. I hadn't had a Mazda in months and within five minutes it is just better than any other infotainment as far as the user interaction while driving goes.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:46 am Rented a Mazderp3 last week. Pretty nice car, I quite like these. Mazda really nails the tech thing and just not going overboard in so many dumb ways. The old six speed auto, no touch screens, etc. feels refreshing as hell after so many convoluted rentals. Also, I averaged 35 MPG which was pretty satisfactory. Drives nice, looks great inside/out, car just works and does what you expect unlike so many things. Only real downside is it's slow as balls and no real steering feel.
Kinda sounds like the camry I had as a rental... :yikes: I have a tough time paying for something like that new... like why? I'd think a a honderp is at least a bit more sporty to drive.
Ive rented a current gen camry when it just came out in 2018, straight away accord is better to drive (atleast 10th gen) Camry is more boaty in comparison and nose dives more. Even the current gen corolla i rented in turkey nose dives more than the accord. My accord fells like a semi gti minus the harshness.

And there are people out there spending 40k for a v6 camry xse with 2 tone and red seats. Atleast v6 somewhat makes up for it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 pm
MrH42 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:08 pm

I had a CX-30 as a rental for a week. It was great for what it was. Mazda gets a lot correct with their cars. Their infotainment being knob controlled, no touchscreen, widescreen, and in your line of sight seems like a no brainer. Yet, they're the only ones really doing that.

Also, the old six speed is much, much better than pretty much every CVT out there.

Only things I didn't like about the Mazda3 when I was considering one years ago: It's a bit too cramped for a daily for me, and the rear suspension wasn't great. You can definitely feel the torsion beam vs it's competitors. Not a huge deal and most won't care, but it's noticeable.
Agreed on all of that. It's funny how they were the ZoomZoom company for so long and now they're more like an entry luxury offering. The handling on the 3 is certainly good enough but nothing super sporty.

It's amazing how quickly I get used to the scroll knob CarPlay interface though. I hadn't had a Mazda in months and within five minutes it is just better than any other infotainment as far as the user interaction while driving goes.
They’ve positioned themselves in a strange spot. Pseudo lix pseudo sport but with a downgraded suspension and the 2.5 non turbo is a snail. So not really premium and not really sporty. I should be their prime target customer really. But I just don’t understand the product goal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 pm

They’ve positioned themselves in a strange spot. Pseudo lix pseudo sport but with a downgraded suspension and the 2.5 non turbo is a snail. So not really premium and not really sporty. I should be their prime target customer really. But I just don’t understand the product goal.
I think that is what makes it good :doe: It is just an every man's car. 7/10 to drive, 8/10 to look at, 8/10 to be in, 8/10 price, 9/10 UX.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Assuming you rented the na 2.5, which is understandable that it can be gutless. I originally rented a 2.5 :manuel: hatch for the LA trip until the host had to cancel and sell the car. I like that mazda can still make a very good appliance that is atleast more enjoyable to drive and actually looks good without breaking the bank. Now I have a b58 m440i convertible instead. I considered leasing a 2.5 manual but i feel like i may regret it hence i gave up on it. But its definitely nice to have a non-cvt car at the very least. I only really enjoy driving the cucktrek in the city cause it devours the potholes and imperfections like no other. While it has a some balls for passing power, the way CVT operates at times is just not enjoyable to me. It still feels weird.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So I was in Turkey for a week, and participated on this little event outside of istanbul and they needed someone to drive the piece below. Also the van we will never get in the US

It is Jku with a 2.8 diesel rubicunt, 5 speed auto and gets just as much economical as my accord mpg wise. While it was good for what it was built for and tackled some muddy country roads without worry about scraping. It was absolute shit to drive. Yes i have said jlu was enjoyable in its own right, but jlu was more refined, better to drive, and i feel like better to live with/daily. I really needed to give about 60% throttle to actually get that bitch moving. Jlu was cake in comparison.

This van makes 200 hp combined, 1.4t plug in hybrid. I fucking love this thing. It makes me sad we can't get this in the US.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 pm So I was in Turkey for a week, and participated on this little event outside of istanbul and they needed someone to drive the piece below. Also the van we will never get in the US

It is Jku with a 2.8 diesel rubicunt, 5 speed auto and gets just as much economical as my accord mpg wise. While it was good for what it was built for and tackled some muddy country roads without worry about scraping. It was absolute shit to drive. Yes i have said jlu was enjoyable in its own right, but jlu was more refined, better to drive, and i feel like better to live with/daily. I really needed to give about 60% throttle to actually get that bitch moving. Jlu was cake in comparison.

This van makes 200 hp combined, 1.4t plug in hybrid. I fucking love this thing. It makes me sad we can't get this in the US.

Dang... JK diesel driving like shit is like 100% expected.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 pm So I was in Turkey for a week, and participated on this little event outside of istanbul and they needed someone to drive the piece below. Also the van we will never get in the US

Dang... JK diesel driving like shit is like 100% expected.
That too. It wasn't my first jk i driven, first one was a sport rental in mexico.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That van is killer. The UI would suck, but I'd "get used to it". Would fuck with that, for sure.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

I might be bidding on a BaT auction. :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

i'll share sine its over my price now

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017- ... ertible-4/

i threw in a bid just to tax the cock sucking flipper
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:50 pm i'll share sine its over my price now

:bravo: good effort. The :dillerman: didnt get this bad boy
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:50 pm i'll share sine its over my price now

Wut ? Flipper ?
max225

That cars history is weird af … first year owner put 1200 miles on it … then it sold to a guy servicing it at a Subaru dealer. Also convertible In PA?! So many questions
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:10 pm That cars history is weird af … first year owner put 1200 miles on it … then it sold to a guy servicing it at a Subaru dealer. Also convertible In PA?! So many questions
The Subaru dealer near me advertises free loaners for all service regardless of make and has good prices on oil changes 🤷‍♂️
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:10 pm That cars history is weird af … first year owner put 1200 miles on it … then it sold to a guy servicing it at a Subaru dealer. Also convertible In PA?! So many questions
People who live in areas with 4 actual seasons like, and buy, 'verts, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pm

Yes we have talked about the cost and know we need to cut it back. You only have bits of information and I’m really not going to share more about that since it’s a sensitive subject for her.

But yes as I mentioned if that can be cut back the options open wider.
Wifey has been pushing to sell the 86 and the Odyssey to get one new/newer car. If you want something genuinely cheap, HMU. It needs a couple things but really I think it's mostly sorted.
Thanks for the offer my dude. I'll let you know if its something we want to do.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:07 pm

Wut ? Flipper ?
the guys username was that of a dealer and was clearly looking for a flip - ie not an enthusiast.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:37 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:07 pm

Wut ? Flipper ?
the guys username was that of a dealer and was clearly looking for a flip - ie not an enthusiast.
I don't want a convertible for myself but as an owner of a 2017 BMW worth about 22K and with 47K miles on it, I don't see anything wrong with this car for $44K other than being the wrong transmission.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The weather in PA is above freezing most of the year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:04 pm
The weather in PA is above freezing most of the year.
:dat: Solid six months of viable 'vert time depending on time of day. Also, M3 is a hard top, good four season car.

:wtf: is an automatic 2017 M3 doing on BaT though?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:15 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:37 pm

I don't want a convertible for myself but as an owner of a 2017 BMW worth about 22K and with 47K miles on it, I don't see anything wrong with this car for $44K other than being the wrong transmission.
sure, i was shamelessly looking to take advantage of a potential dill
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225

Alright according to DFD PA is the worlds most coveted convertible market.

:lolgasm:
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:14 am https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/03/20/ ... ev-losses/

Consequences.
That strategy was :fullretard: from the inception.