Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:04 am
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:41 am

Yea but it won’t have a 40k car note …

40k at todays 5.5% is $183 a month probably enough to pay for gas and repairs. And I’m not even using the cost of borrowing and depreciation. Gas cost is a non issue imo
JP seems pretty hung up on gas costs. :iono: I'm with you it is but a drop in the bucket of vehicle ownershit.
:dat: I do think the stranded aspect and having to deal with car repairs is the worst aspect here. Somewhat minimized by getting one of the most reliable vehicles period. Fuel economy doesn’t really matter in a cheap car once you factor in all the other savings

However an argument for “safety” could be made also …
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

HEH.

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am

Not a bad suggestion for longevity overall but will have old car bs problems, and likely will get about 10 mpg.

40k at todays 5.5% is $183 a month probably enough to pay for gas and repairs. And I’m not even using the cost of borrowing and depreciation. Gas cost is a non issue imo
We stretched the budget way too far to get this house and I can’t afford an additional $150 a month for a less fuel efficient vehicle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:17 pm My dad treated our vans with care and love. The Odyssey still shit out three or four transmissions though.
Our old Chrysler did that. Shit out like 4 transmissions.
The dodge caravan my dad bought to replace it… transmission literally exploded a day after he bought it. Towed it back to the dealer and got his money back.
Our ford wind star was fine. It was abused hard and kept chugging along.
Our expedition ejected a spark plug through the hood at 120k miles. And then the transmission died.

Yeah I dunno man. They’re workhorse vehicles. They get used hard.

Sienna seems like the answer. I finally got Lisa to ok test driving one, after she started watching how much easier the vans are to deal with at preschool drop off.
Literally? How did that transpire?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 am

Our old Chrysler did that. Shit out like 4 transmissions.
The dodge caravan my dad bought to replace it… transmission literally exploded a day after he bought it. Towed it back to the dealer and got his money back.
Our ford wind star was fine. It was abused hard and kept chugging along.
Our expedition ejected a spark plug through the hood at 120k miles. And then the transmission died.

Yeah I dunno man. They’re workhorse vehicles. They get used hard.

Sienna seems like the answer. I finally got Lisa to ok test driving one, after she started watching how much easier the vans are to deal with at preschool drop off.
Ford mod motor, baby. It’s a thing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:33 pm

Ford mod motor, baby. It’s a thing.
More on Ford Spark Plug Blow Outs – What causes it?

Ford spark plugs blowing out is a common problem with engines in Ford F150 pick up trucks, Mustangs, Crown Victorias, Vans, Expeditions and motor homes. A video showing spark plug thread repair using the Calvan spark plug thread repair kit being used can be viewed on the Calvan 38900 description page. Read on for more information.

Ford 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 modular engines are prone to spark plugs being blown out of the cylinders due to the aluminum threads failing. If the spark plugs are not tight enough the spark plug vibrates until the aluminum is weakened to a point the spark plug shoots out. Some blame faulty aluminum, but there are no other issues with any other part of the heads. Ford originally had a lower torque specification and later revised it making the torque spec higher and plugs tighter. When the threads are about to come loose there is often a slight ticking sound/noise, like a small “exhaust manifold leak” would sound. As stated before, the problem usually starts if the spark plug is loose. The coil keeps the plug from backing out completely. The spark plug vibrates until the aluminum threads in the cylinder head are deteriorated to a point that the spark plug ejects from the pressure of the compression from the cylinder. The spark plug ejecting typically breaks the coil on the way out.

Although rare, it’s possible an engine compartment fire can start due to the raw fuel escaping the engine cylinder and the broken coil can provide the spark. We have many Ford dealers that use Time Sert and Calvan, however there are some Ford dealers that will not recommend repairing the threads. Many only recommend replacing the cylinder head. Because of the cost of labor and parts involved in replacing the heads, we recommend using the appropriate thread repair kit made by Time Sert or Calvan. After the repair the threads will be stronger than original.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

They only had 5 threads on the plugs vs 10-15. Never had an issue with 4 of my mod motors (1 of which went 410k miles under my watch) but you can’t torque past 12lb feet
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm

We stretched the budget way too far to get this house and I can’t afford an additional $150 a month for a less fuel efficient vehicle.
I think you got the math backwards…
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:22 pm

I think you got the math backwards…
Yeah my head is swimming right now. Can’t think clearly. Yes cheapest option is an old car with bad gas mileage. Still cheaper to own than a new car due to depreciation. It’s the ongoing monthly expense that has me spinning. We are barely making our budget balance as is. If my wife can cut down on her $1500/mo physical therapy and other medical stuff then we could afford something more desirable.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am $1500/mo physical therapy
holy fuck dude, what kind of ongoing issue requires that? cant she just....go to the gym?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am $1500/mo physical therapy
holy fuck dude, what kind of ongoing issue requires that? cant she just....go to the gym?
PT is different than going to a ymca.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:25 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 am

Eh, big doubt. once you go through the motions a few times they are memorized and you can do that shit at the gym.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:35 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:25 am

Eh, big doubt. once you go through the motions a few times they are memorized and you can do that shit at the gym.
I’ve asked that but it’s related to lady parts and pelvic floor. She needs a lot of one on one troubleshooting with the physical therapist every session. With the baby she hasn’t gone in about a month which is good but those $ have been consumed by the baby and hospital bills.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:25 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:35 am

I’ve asked that but it’s related to lady parts and pelvic floor. She needs a lot of one on one troubleshooting with the physical therapist every session. With the baby she hasn’t gone in about a month which is good but those $ have been consumed by the baby and hospital bills.
if i was a physical therapist that's what I would say... maybe get another opinion somewhere? 1500 a month if you are touch and go on moines is a huge nut.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:25 pm

if i was a physical therapist that's what I would say... maybe get another opinion somewhere? 1500 a month if you are touch and go on moines is a huge nut.
Yes we have talked about the cost and know we need to cut it back. You only have bits of information and I’m really not going to share more about that since it’s a sensitive subject for her.

But yes as I mentioned if that can be cut back the options open wider.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:17 pm

Yes we have talked about the cost and know we need to cut it back. You only have bits of information and I’m really not going to share more about that since it’s a sensitive subject for her.

Wifey has been pushing to sell the 86 and the Odyssey to get one new/newer car. If you want something genuinely cheap, HMU. It needs a couple things but really I think it's mostly sorted.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:05 pm

Wifey has been pushing to sell the 86 and the Odyssey to get one new/newer car. If you want something genuinely cheap, HMU. It needs a couple things but really I think it's mostly sorted.
Any chance you can hang on until the kiddos are front facing and get an SS or something cool?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Rented a Mazderp3 last week. Pretty nice car, I quite like these. Mazda really nails the tech thing and just not going overboard in so many dumb ways. The old six speed auto, no touch screens, etc. feels refreshing as hell after so many convoluted rentals. Also, I averaged 35 MPG which was pretty satisfactory. Drives nice, looks great inside/out, car just works and does what you expect unlike so many things. Only real downside is it's slow as balls and no real steering feel.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:46 am Rented a Mazderp3 last week. Pretty nice car, I quite like these. Mazda really nails the tech thing and just not going overboard in so many dumb ways. The old six speed auto, no touch screens, etc. feels refreshing as hell after so many convoluted rentals. Also, I averaged 35 MPG which was pretty satisfactory. Drives nice, looks great inside/out, car just works and does what you expect unlike so many things. Only real downside is it's slow as balls and no real steering feel.
Kinda sounds like the camry I had as a rental... :yikes: I have a tough time paying for something like that new... like why? I'd think a a honderp is at least a bit more sporty to drive.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:44 am
coogles wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:41 am

Any chance you can hang on until the kiddos are front facing and get an SS or something cool?
The Atlas is really just not big enough. Three kids, dogs, stuff, the minivan is a necessary thing for trips unless we want to get a Tahoe or similar, which I will not do.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:46 am Rented a Mazderp3 last week. Pretty nice car, I quite like these. Mazda really nails the tech thing and just not going overboard in so many dumb ways. The old six speed auto, no touch screens, etc. feels refreshing as hell after so many convoluted rentals. Also, I averaged 35 MPG which was pretty satisfactory. Drives nice, looks great inside/out, car just works and does what you expect unlike so many things. Only real downside is it's slow as balls and no real steering feel.
I rented a new Ford Edge last week for a work trip up to Chicago. I had no idea until I got inside that they'd replaced the physical HVAC controls with a huge tablet.

It was the highest end platinum trim, but it was a pile. No radar cruise (WTF?), I played with the lane keep assist and it did literally nothing, the four cylinder was awful, and every control in the screen was more difficult than it needed to be. The only redeeming quality was a physical volume knob.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 pm
Kinda sounds like the camry I had as a rental... :yikes: I have a tough time paying for something like that new... like why? I'd think a a honderp is at least a bit more sporty to drive.
They've never had a new Civic. I've seen Integras while returning but never available to me, I'd love to try either.

The Mazda is a lot more modern feeling than a Camry. The interior is way nicer. What I like about it, is it doesn't feel at all dated, they are just doing it better - it's much more simple than most in a good way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 pm
I rented a new Ford Edge last week for a work trip up to Chicago. I had no idea until I got inside that they'd replaced the physical HVAC controls with a huge tablet.

It was the highest end platinum trim, but it was a pile. No radar cruise (WTF?), I played with the lane keep assist and it did literally nothing, the four cylinder was awful, and every control in the screen was more difficult than it needed to be. The only redeeming quality was a physical volume knob.
Ferds ain't great these days, although I did mostly enjoy the 2024 'stang.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I had a CX-30 as a rental for a week. It was great for what it was. Mazda gets a lot correct with their cars. Their infotainment being knob controlled, no touchscreen, widescreen, and in your line of sight seems like a no brainer. Yet, they're the only ones really doing that.

Also, the old six speed is much, much better than pretty much every CVT out there.

Only things I didn't like about the Mazda3 when I was considering one years ago: It's a bit too cramped for a daily for me, and the rear suspension wasn't great. You can definitely feel the torsion beam vs it's competitors. Not a huge deal and most won't care, but it's noticeable.