Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I loved the Apex wheels on my 328i. :dat: poor man's, slow ass M3.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:44 am I loved the Apex wheels on my 328i. :dat: poor man's, slow ass M3.
10 year old basic ass 3 series with no tech and ricer exhaust. Cracker ass fantastic, that’s me!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:51 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:44 am I loved the Apex wheels on my 328i. :dat: poor man's, slow ass M3.
10 year old basic ass 3 series with no tech and ricer exhaust. Cracker ass fantastic, that’s me!
I did pass multiple F80 M3s on the track at VIR in it :doe: It can turn and stop real gud. I actually really like the exhaust other than cold starts which are absolutely heinous.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am

im blown away by 20" comp wheels. Guys asking $5-6k all day... Like you can get a real nice set of most any BBS you want for that. OEM wheels used to be near give away. I will admit, the oem wheel game is really stepped up on most M cars of the last 3 generations.
WHAT. Are you sure those aren't CS wheel prices? The comp are Style 666m right? I see those in the 5x120 for sale FB group all the time for 2000 or trade for 513
I will look harder. I just remember being shocked, wheels selling for what the damn package cost.

Ebay says $3-3.5k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225990678394

:fap: :megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I have brand new tars and brakes all around tho, I plan to use those up and be :scrooge:

I also don't know if this car will be a 1, 2, or 4-5 year car at this point. I do know I was not fucking paying $50k for a :gorf: when lightly used m3/m4 exist for that much.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:57 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:51 am

I did pass multiple F80 M3s on the track at VIR in it :doe: It can turn and stop real gud. I actually really like the exhaust other than cold starts which are absolutely heinous.
:bravo: that was a great spec car.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 am

WHAT. Are you sure those aren't CS wheel prices? The comp are Style 666m right? I see those in the 5x120 for sale FB group all the time for 2000 or trade for 513
I will look harder. I just remember being shocked, wheels selling for what the damn package cost.

Ebay says $3-3.5k

:mindblown: The 826m's I see from forum bros are usually around $2k and they're very similar, design wise anyway.

At least you have plenty of choices :doe: . The Apex ramz always look good.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 am I have brand new tars and brakes all around tho, I plan to use those up and be :scrooge:

I also don't know if this car will be a 1, 2, or 4-5 year car at this point. I do know I was not fucking paying $50k for a :gorf: when lightly used m3/m4 exist for that much.
Yea that's always been the game. 3 year old M3 or new golf R
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Went snowboarding last night and driving through one of the small towns we go through I saw a beat to shit old Blazer for sale. Hopped out to take a look, thought maybe if it’s dirt cheap it could be a fun thing to just fuck around to the gym and up to go snowboarding in while also making life a little easier without being restricted to a single car for the house. Dude is asking $5,500 though, which for the condition of the exterior seems like double what it should be.

1979 K5, has the big boy 350^3 inch 5.7L V8 and the four speed :manuel: SM465
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

WOW. Pentagram RAMZ actually carry the number of the beast. :mindblown: That seems almost impossible to be a coincidence.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:46 am Went snowboarding last night and driving through one of the small towns we go through I saw a beat to shit old Blazer for sale. Hopped out to take a look, thought maybe if it’s dirt cheap it could be a fun thing to just fuck around to the gym and up to go snowboarding in while also making life a little easier without being restricted to a single car for the house. Dude is asking $5,500 though, which for the condition of the exterior seems like double what it should be.

Dude those are all the hotness now. If it was rust free that's a screaming deal. But.....it's not.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:46 am Went snowboarding last night and driving through one of the small towns we go through I saw a beat to shit old Blazer for sale. Hopped out to take a look, thought maybe if it’s dirt cheap it could be a fun thing to just fuck around to the gym and up to go snowboarding in while also making life a little easier without being restricted to a single car for the house. Dude is asking $5,500 though, which for the condition of the exterior seems like double what it should be.

Dude those are all the hotness now. If it was rust free that's a screaming deal. But.....it's not.
The rust is my primary concern. I have a kind of aunt out here whose husband does old car stuff. I might ask him if he’ll look it over with me to see how bad things actually are and how it looks mechanically.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 am

The rust is my primary concern. I have a kind of aunt out here whose husband does old car stuff. I might ask him if he’ll look it over with me to see how bad things actually are and how it looks mechanically.
:bruh: given your history I would be very weary of getting an old date-rape mobile. These things are generally used up to a knub and require everything reworked... and it usually would have gone through a few Methanials and Methanies in it's past... with shoddy repairs all over.

It's far more effective to buy a re-worked one at 30-50k... however obviously that makes no financial sense either.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:17 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 am

Ebay says $3-3.5k

:mindblown: The 826m's I see from forum bros are usually around $2k and they're very similar, design wise anyway.

At least you have plenty of choices :doe: . The Apex ramz always look good.
The 5x112 BMW market is still very small though. Limited to just the G chassis and Supra so far.

I bought Apex :ramz: for my car too :doe:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:07 pm

:bruh: given your history I would be very weary of getting an old date-rape mobile. These things are generally used up to a knub and require everything reworked... and it usually would have gone through a few Methanials and Methanies in it's past... with shoddy repairs all over.

It's far more effective to buy a re-worked one at 30-50k... however obviously that makes no financial sense either.
Oh yeah I wouldn’t touch it without it being given a thumbs up from ex-aunt’s husband. Even then, it was more just a cool idea when I saw it. I didn’t take a peek inside, and I’m assuming the interior is beat to shit as well, and would not be surprised if it smells of cigarettes like you mentioned. I can deal with a beat exterior, but interior smells would be a hard pass along with trashed upholstery. Michelle’s car will be the primary baby hauler, but I’m sure le bebe would end up in whatever I’m driving at some points and I wouldn’t want her in something that’s trashed inside.

:notsure: what my history is doe.. I’ve really only had the gti (7 years), jeep (3 years), and Elantra (2 years) and all were problem free?
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:45 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:38 pm

Oh yeah I wouldn’t touch it without it being given a thumbs up from ex-aunt’s husband. Even then, it was more just a cool idea when I saw it. I didn’t take a peek inside, and I’m assuming the interior is beat to shit as well, and would not be surprised if it smells of cigarettes like you mentioned. I can deal with a beat exterior, but interior smells would be a hard pass along with trashed upholstery. Michelle’s car will be the primary baby hauler, but I’m sure le bebe would end up in whatever I’m driving at some points and I wouldn’t want her in something that’s trashed inside.

:notsure: what my history is doe.. I’ve really only had the gti (7 years), jeep (3 years), and Elantra (2 years) and all were problem free?
Your history is "newer" cars is what I meant. You didn't have to deal with losing a fuel pump on the freeway, or ... sheering a rear driveshaft on the way to a grocery store/gym. This type of vehicle WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:49 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:45 pm

Your history is "newer" cars is what I meant. You didn't have to deal with losing a fuel pump on the freeway, or ... sheering a rear driveshaft on the way to a grocery store/gym. This type of vehicle WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED.
:word:

Yeah that would be a worry, but also why it would mostly be for crawling the 7 miles each way to the gym and back. I wouldn’t be taking this on any long trips.

Also why I was hoping this thing would be priced much lower. I wouldn’t mind picking it up for $3k and then throwing a few k at it to make sure everything is sorted and reliable.

But yeah, buying for $5.5k and possibly needing to throw money at it is a no-go. I could walk to a used car lot a grab a little shit box commuter thats more reliable and less than 20 years old for that much.
SAWCE

This, for example, that a buddy in SD just posted:

max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 pm This, for example, that a buddy in SD just posted:

I would probably just get a decent 4 Runner or Pathfinder and call it a day. Not some sort of subaru abomination
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:17 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 pm This, for example, that a buddy in SD just posted:

I would probably just get a decent 4 Runner or Pathfinder and call it a day. Not some sort of subaru abomination
Oh for sure. Was just an example of something much nicer/newer in the K5’s price range
max225

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/ ... 62673.html

Or something like this if you wanted to be a bro and throw a lift and wheels and tires at it
max225

Watching... this
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/ ... 62673.html

Or something like this if you wanted to be a bro and throw a lift and wheels and tires at it
Damn. That is a clean example. Nice long bed for :truk: things too
max225

Check out the R3... looks like a golf
max225

R3X is kinda neat...