Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am Just skimmed the last few pages here. Y'all all discussing cars that were high on my list while I waited on crack rock pricing to subside.

I opted to get a 2018 M4 vert with the S55 last weekend. Flew to dallas and got the cheapest 1 owner clean fax within 500 miles.

I loved the idea of the SQ5. I learned to stay away from the bmw 4.4TT in x5s and m550. I really liked the acura flavor but they were still a bit more money. The allure of epic german depreciation got me. The wife 330i wagoon has done pretty well for 4 years now. I feel I can DIY most the common things. Already ordered a few nickle dime interior parts from Latvia. And I found an undisclosed hydraulic leak in trunk once home. :dillerman:

The SUV would replace my truck, and I chose not to replace it because :derp: and its paid for and well kept.
OMG 513M wheels. So mad I passed on a set for $1300 last year because I wanted a square setup. Those things are pulling 2000 all day now.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:12 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am Just skimmed the last few pages here. Y'all all discussing cars that were high on my list while I waited on crack rock pricing to subside.

I opted to get a 2018 M4 vert with the S55 last weekend. Flew to dallas and got the cheapest 1 owner clean fax within 500 miles.

I loved the idea of the SQ5. I learned to stay away from the bmw 4.4TT in x5s and m550. I really liked the acura flavor but they were still a bit more money. The allure of epic german depreciation got me. The wife 330i wagoon has done pretty well for 4 years now. I feel I can DIY most the common things. Already ordered a few nickle dime interior parts from Latvia. And I found an undisclosed hydraulic leak in trunk once home. :dillerman:

The SUV would replace my truck, and I chose not to replace it because :derp: and its paid for and well kept.
OMG 513M wheels. So mad I passed on a set for $1300 last year because I wanted a square setup. Those things are pulling 2000 all day now.
dang, I didnt know they were a thing. Why so special? I mean, I like them okay but REALLY wanted the 666m on the comp package. But alas, poverty struck and I was in the top of my budget for a fun family vert.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:16 am

dang, I didnt know they were a thing. Why so special? I mean, I like them okay but REALLY wanted the 666m on the comp package. But alas, poverty struck and I was in the top of my budget for a fun family vert.
Most people switch to 18" wheels for the cheaper tires and extra sidewall, and the 513M are still Forged.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

LOL thats an interesting way to put it when you got a $3x,000 4th car
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:36 am

Most people switch to 18" wheels for the cheaper tires and extra sidewall, and the 513M are still Forged.
19s are the happy medium for looks, tar prices, and sidewall. 20" are the :waxer: and 18s are so pleb. I put 18x8.5 1552 on the wifes wagoon.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:38 am

LOL thats an interesting way to put it when you got a $3x,000 4th car
:pout:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:06 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:36 am

19s are the happy medium for looks, tar prices, and sidewall. 20" are the :waxer: and 18s are so pleb. I put 18x8.5 1552 on the wifes wagoon.
Well I have a friend that wants 513s really bad for his F31. He has 19" Apex wheels right now but they'd be too narrow for your M4.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What's the tranny in here?

I spent some time in my buddies 2018 M4 vert and I was shocked with how different it was from the 2016 M3 comp I had. The M4 Vert was way more livable and I love the :manuel: over the stupid DCT in mine.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:51 am stupid DCT
:howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu:
:howdareu: :225: :howdareu:
:howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

I don't like DCTs/DSGs. Both my TDI and M3 suffered from similar shitty "normal" operations such as.
Low speed clunking noises
Slow engagement from a dead stop if you immiatly get on the gas
Clutch shatter with rapid engagement and re-angement making your head bob at partial throttle (worst part).
Expensive ass maintenance due to $50+ a quart fluid.

No thanks. Yes they shift great at full throttle and shift fast up and down. But in most other DD operation they are sub-par compared to say a ZF8 speed. Which is why most are switching to that now.

I am dying on this hill.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 pm I don't like DCTs/DSGs. Both my TDI and M3 suffered from similar shitty "normal" operations such as.
Low speed clunking noises
Slow engagement from a dead stop if you immiatly get on the gas
Clutch shatter with rapid engagement and re-angement making your head bob at partial throttle (worst part).
Expensive ass maintenance due to $50+ a quart fluid.

No thanks. Yes they shift great at full throttle and shift fast up and down. But in most other DD operation they are sub-par compared to say a ZF8 speed. Which is why most are switching to that now.

I am dying on this hill.
:amaze:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 pm I don't like DCTs/DSGs. Both my TDI and M3 suffered from similar shitty "normal" operations such as.
1 Low speed clunking noises
2 Slow engagement from a dead stop if you immiatly get on the gas
3 Clutch shatter with rapid engagement and re-angement making your head bob at partial throttle (worst part).
4 Expensive ass maintenance due to $50+ a quart fluid.

No thanks. Yes they shift great at full throttle and shift fast up and down. But in most other DD operation they are sub-par compared to say a
5 ZF8 speed. Which is why most are switching to that now.

I am dying on this hill.
numbered your post for easier responses
1. MY WORD, a mechanical device that makes noise? the tragedy
2. i concede this point: it did take some getting used to learning the system to take off smoothly.
3. you mean like what happens in a manual when you don't clutch in coasting? imagine that.
4. partly concede: the fluid got a lot cheaper as the market saturated. My last service was under 100 bucks in materials.

5. The zf8 is pretty great though, fooled me into thinking it was a DCT.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:29 pm
1 Low speed clunking noises
2 Slow engagement from a dead stop if you immiatly get on the gas
3 Clutch shatter with rapid engagement and re-angement making your head bob at partial throttle (worst part).
4 Expensive ass maintenance due to $50+ a quart fluid.

No thanks. Yes they shift great at full throttle and shift fast up and down. But in most other DD operation they are sub-par compared to say a
5 ZF8 speed. Which is why most are switching to that now.

I am dying on this hill.
numbered your post for easier responses
1. MY WORD, a mechanical device that makes noise? the tragedy
2. i concede this point: it did take some getting used to learning the system to take off smoothly.
3. you mean like what happens in a manual when you don't clutch in coasting? imagine that.
4. partly concede: the fluid got a lot cheaper as the market saturated. My last service was under 100 bucks in materials.

5. The zf8 is pretty great though, fooled me into thinking it was a DCT.
I can't anything to refute here. But the DCT clunks just sound bad... Yes it's a mechanical device and yes some mechanical devices sound like shit. I.E Closing a frameless door... always sounds like shit but it does look nicer and its way easier to get in a car with the windows down... ups and down.

around point 3... no this doesn't happen on a manual car. For some reason they can't get the programming to 100% on these and it causes the computer to get confused and rapidly engage and disengage the clutch about 1% of the time... and it is absolutely abysmal. It's like someone having a stroke and rapidly hitting the cluch
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:41 pm

Lexus corrected but they and Acura always had horrific tech compared to their Toyota / Honda counterparts. The Acura touch pad is nearly bad enough to fully pass on the brand.
I tested a light modded 2015 RC-F coupe. It was super dope, sounded good. Was a good blend of old man comfort and performance thrills. Rear seat was usable. I didnt like the rear styling and it looks odd from some angles. The deal was strong. $36k for a 2015 with 48k miles. I knew it would likely be more reliable, but the allure of ze germans and tuned 475-500hp is very strong. :like:

https://www.allstarautomotive.com/used- ... C3F5001009

The RC-F are kinda rare birds, which I like. I found the best deal around. But man the interior screams 2005... that was a huge turn off and likely one more driving factor for the Big Mexican Weiner.
Wants not found, M4 is way better. Congrats bro, sounds like fun!
max225

Interesting to see RC-Fs still in teh mid/high 30s... I liked them but they had a bit too little headroom for "linebackers" it was missing about 1" to be comfortable (That's what she said) and the lame lexus tranny and interior is also not great...

But I like their styling and probably the last of the fun japanese V8s of our lifetime.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:51 am

I spent some time in my buddies 2018 M4 vert and I was shocked with how different it was from the 2016 M3 comp I had. The M4 Vert was way more livable and I love the :manuel: over the stupid DCT in mine.
I went dct so :tits: can drive as wanted. Its a nice optioned exec pack. red interior w/ carbon. Found the wind screen. I well like the speed of the DCT. After the last manual gorf, i was convinced for actual performance and around town blasting, which is 80% of my driving, DCT is the answer. For the slower car fast and curve mountains, clearly a :manuel: is the answer. I still have my old shit boxes and they will always be a manual. The newer shit is just better in DCT, for what the cars are designed to do/be.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:40 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:51 am

I went dct so :tits: can drive as wanted. Its a nice optioned exec pack. red interior w/ carbon. Found the wind screen. I well like the speed of the DCT. After the last manual gorf, i was convinced for actual performance and around town blasting, which is 80% of my driving, DCT is the answer. For the slower car fast and curve mountains, clearly a :manuel: is the answer. I still have my old shit boxes and they will always be a manual. The newer shit is just better in DCT, for what the cars are designed to do/be.
As much as I’m a manual all the things guy, my 328i manual kind of blew. BMW makes the worst manuals in the biz. Still, at least they make em. I’d still probably get it because I dig having something to do behind the wheel.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:30 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm

:dat:

Some people who bought ev's probably realized that for some people ev'e are inconvenient. You want screens you got it, honda makes a volume "button" where you have to touch and people complained :hue:
I have a buddy who sells Hyundais. They get a LOT of EV returns for hybrids.
One of my friends got an ioniq5, lets see how long it lasts
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:22 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm

:dat:

Some people who bought ev's probably realized that for some people ev'e are inconvenient. You want screens you got it, honda makes a volume "button" where you have to touch and people complained :hue:
Drove a clients new Yukon the other day…..Jesus fucking Christ, the shifter is like a computer keyboard. I grabbed this screenshot for an example. :dafuq: this is not the type of buttons I want…
My accord has this, im used to it now. But nothing like a good ol lever

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:43 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:22 pm

Drove a clients new Yukon the other day…..Jesus fucking Christ, the shifter is like a computer keyboard. I grabbed this screenshot for an example. :dafuq: this is not the type of buttons I want…

Ah, I’ve seen those setups in the accord. Not personally a fan, but this Yukon made you push the park and neutral and pull the reverse and drive. My brain didn’t function.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:43 am

Ah, I’ve seen those setups in the accord. Not personally a fan, but this Yukon made you push the park and neutral and pull the reverse and drive. My brain didn’t function.
I'm confused now :lolol: . Honestly in trucks like that I liked the old column shifter/bench seat setup.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

im blown away by 20" comp wheels. Guys asking $5-6k all day... Like you can get a real nice set of most any BBS you want for that. OEM wheels used to be near give away. I will admit, the oem wheel game is really stepped up on most M cars of the last 3 generations.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:24 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 am

I'm confused now :lolol: . Honestly in trucks like that I liked the old column shifter/bench seat setup.
What's old is new again.

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/the ... utton-age/
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am

im blown away by 20" comp wheels. Guys asking $5-6k all day... Like you can get a real nice set of most any BBS you want for that. OEM wheels used to be near give away. I will admit, the oem wheel game is really stepped up on most M cars of the last 3 generations.
WHAT. Are you sure those aren't CS wheel prices? The comp are Style 666m right? I see those in the 5x120 for sale FB group all the time for 2000 or trade for 513
max225

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:35 am

I loved the way the 666 wheels looked but they were horrendous for actual DD.

They would go through tires every 20k miles and they cost $2500 installed now…

If I was to have an m3 I would only roll on 18s. Everything larger is all show and no go.