Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:30 am

So What bmw were you looking at ? I tried Audi but personally I think diesel gayte killed them, everything seems stuck in time and cost cutting is obvious. The interiors are now sub par compared to bmw and mb. And the tech is trash (cameras low res, low res screens for dash boards, driver assistance etc). I still like the exterior styling though
I guess it's been enough :hibachi: now

I'm looking at an SQ5, X3 M40i, or similar to complement the Miata. Open to an M340i or S4/S5 Sportback as well but I feel like the SUV complements the Miata's lack of space better. And of course all will be comfier and faster in a straight line. In the other threads I mentioned trying to stay under $35k used. So far that means top pick is a loaded 2018-2020 SQ5 with around 60k miles. Only caveat is finding one in the very rare Azores Green Metallic (heh two rare color cars would be fun) or in the much more common red that I can't remember the name of. And the BMW seems to only come in a pretty bland blue as the "color" option.

I test drove a 2024 SQ5 (same gen, just facelifted) a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. An SUV that can :scoot: and makes a nice sound out the exhaust while still being comfy and practical? Sign me up.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:34 pm I saw some provinces in Canada are implementing an annual tax on EV owners. Wild to see how much shit the government tries to force people into and then turn around and slap them with taxes on those things.
In California “costs” to fill an ev went up 100-150% in tbe last 3 years while gas remained steady
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SQ5 is cool. Those prices seem dece. About as much for a new mid trim Rav4 or CRV.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think the government forcing EVs is shitty, but I can't really argue with a road use tax when everyone with a gas car is already paying it. EVs wear out roads more than their gas counterparts.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:30 am

So What bmw were you looking at ? I tried Audi but personally I think diesel gayte killed them, everything seems stuck in time and cost cutting is obvious. The interiors are now sub par compared to bmw and mb. And the tech is trash (cameras low res, low res screens for dash boards, driver assistance etc). I still like the exterior styling though

I'm looking at an SQ5, X3 M40i, or similar to complement the Miata. Open to an M340i or S4/S5 Sportback as well but I feel like the SUV complements the Miata's lack of space better. And of course all will be comfier and faster in a straight line. In the other threads I mentioned trying to stay under $35k used. So far that means top pick is a loaded 2018-2020 SQ5 with around 60k miles. Only caveat is finding one in the very rare Azores Green Metallic (heh two rare color cars would be fun) or in the much more common red that I can't remember the name of. And the BMW seems to only come in a pretty bland blue as the "color" option.

I test drove a 2024 SQ5 (same gen, just facelifted) a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. An SUV that can :scoot: and makes a nice sound out the exhaust while still being comfy and practical? Sign me up.
I'm not really an SUV guy but these are all nice cars and solid used buys as they depreciate pretty significantly. M340i might depreciate even more though and be the best driving thing of the bunch.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:30 pm
adoob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:42 pm

I'm not really an SUV guy but these are all nice cars and solid used buys as they depreciate pretty significantly. M340i might depreciate even more though and be the best driving thing of the bunch.
The weird thing is... the M340i... is keeping the value better than a 540i M sport ... which is why my buddy ended up getting a 5 series. I can't tell em apart anymore. The 3 and the 5 look the same to me. I don't get the differentiation at all anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am Since we discussed about headunits recently,

Just came upon to this
https://jalopnik.com/cars-without-real- ... hG-hGjqbPY
It feels like the world went :fullretard: First "everyone wanted screens" now "everyone wants buttons" and it coincides with "everyone wants EVs" but now it's "everyone wants a cheap hybrid"

Stupidity all around with governments fueling the flames.
:notsure:

They did?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:28 pm I think the government forcing EVs is shitty, but I can't really argue with a road use tax when everyone with a gas car is already paying it. EVs wear out roads more than their gas counterparts.
:dat: :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm

It feels like the world went :fullretard: First "everyone wanted screens" now "everyone wants buttons" and it coincides with "everyone wants EVs" but now it's "everyone wants a cheap hybrid"

Stupidity all around with governments fueling the flames.
:dat:

Some people who bought ev's probably realized that for some people ev'e are inconvenient. You want screens you got it, honda makes a volume "button" where you have to touch and people complained :hue:
Drove a clients new Yukon the other day…..Jesus fucking Christ, the shifter is like a computer keyboard. I grabbed this screenshot for an example. :dafuq: this is not the type of buttons I want…
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Neither am I really, but at risk of sounding old I noticed how for running errands and just general day to day it's quite comfy to get in and out of something taller. Plus having more space relative to a sedan, an SUV seems like a better garage companion to the Miata.

Plus it go fast and go brrr. I'd be lying if said I wasn't also already looking at tuning options. :hue:

This is a video of basically the exact spec I want:

And here's one with an intake (would do) and an exhaust (probably would not do, stock one is enough):

Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

adoob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:37 pm
Neither am I really, but at risk of sounding old I noticed how for running errands and just general day to day it's quite comfy to get in and out of something taller. Plus having more space relative to a sedan, an SUV seems like a better garage companion to the Miata.

Plus it go fast and go brrr. I'd be lying if said I wasn't also already looking at tuning options. :hue:

This is a video of basically the exact spec I want:

And here's one with an intake (would do) and an exhaust (probably would not do, stock one is enough):

I fux with the sq5! Also, you have a Miata, you need a road trip car and something with more space! That roof rack on the second vid also slaps. Throw some yaks or some bikes on that nasty bitch. That exhaust doesn’t sound terrible either.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:40 pm

The weird thing is... the M340i... is keeping the value better than a 540i M sport ... which is why my buddy ended up getting a 5 series. I can't tell em apart anymore. The 3 and the 5 look the same to me. I don't get the differentiation at all anymore.
Yeah the 5 is a good deal used. Same with Audi A6 aside from the wagons.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:53 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:40 pm
Yeah the 5 is a good deal used. Same with Audi A6 aside from the wagons.
It does seem like large luxe sedans depreciate more rapidly than about anything, maybe a 540i or S6 is worth a look. SQ5 is wicked nice for sure, but it does have that mom vibe, the sedans don't.
max225

I wasn’t a sq5 fan. That thing is slow compared to anything with a b58. It also had pretty bad steering(disconnected) and looks like a jelly belly. Tried to like it but no.

They are also made in Mexico which … eh.

I did however like the GLC43 amg.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

TLX Type S seems like a great buy around $40k and they'd have way fewer miles on them than the germans.

355hp, sh-awd, brembros, and reliability
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:01 pm I wasn’t a sq5 fan. That thing is slow compared to anything with a b58. It also had pretty bad steering(disconnected) and looks like a jelly belly. Tried to like it but no.

They are also made in Mexico which … eh
Yeah the B58 is a bit of a hero motor. Seems pretty reliable too.

Anyone know about reliability of the v6 in the sq5? Is it related to the macan motor? Those have been basket cases.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm TLX Type S seems like a great buy around $40k and they'd have way fewer miles on them than the germans.

355hp, sh-awd, and brembros.
These look totally rad but have pathetic gas mileage and performance is merely on par with the 4 cyl Germans. Also enormous car with no interior space.

They do look so good though.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:01 pm I wasn’t a sq5 fan. That thing is slow compared to anything with a b58. It also had pretty bad steering(disconnected) and looks like a jelly belly. Tried to like it but no.

Anyone know about reliability of the v6 in the sq5? Is it related to the macan motor? Those have been basket cases.
It’s more related to the s4 motor. And it was fairly reliable minus a water pump per vag life.

What’s up with the macan ?
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm TLX Type S seems like a great buy around $40k and they'd have way fewer miles on them than the germans.

Acura tech is also straight garbage or at least used to be
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm

IIRC it's the same as the 3.0 in the Macan. Run away unless you like water pumps every 20k and timing cover oil leaks every so often...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:05 pm

These look totally rad but have pathetic gas mileage and performance is merely on par with the 4 cyl Germans. Also enormous car with no interior space.

:yikes: I just looked up the specs. It weighs nearly 400 lbs more than my car, half inch longer wheelbase, 5.5 inches longer, and has similar epa ratings.

I still like them as a used purchase :doe: when compared to the german stuff.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:06 pm

Lexus corrected but they and Acura always had horrific tech compared to their Toyota / Honda counterparts. The Acura touch pad is nearly bad enough to fully pass on the brand.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Just skimmed the last few pages here. Y'all all discussing cars that were high on my list while I waited on crack rock pricing to subside.

I opted to get a 2018 M4 vert with the S55 last weekend. Flew to dallas and got the cheapest 1 owner clean fax within 500 miles.

I loved the idea of the SQ5. I learned to stay away from the bmw 4.4TT in x5s and m550. I really liked the acura flavor but they were still a bit more money. The allure of epic german depreciation got me. The wife 330i wagoon has done pretty well for 4 years now. I feel I can DIY most the common things. Already ordered a few nickle dime interior parts from Latvia. And I found an undisclosed hydraulic leak in trunk once home. :dillerman:

The SUV would replace my truck, and I chose not to replace it because :derp: and its paid for and well kept.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:05 pm

That's exactly why I opted for german. They end up being just "okay" and lack the pizzazz of actual performance cars. Just like the G70 Genesis. Missing some soul imho.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:41 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:06 pm

Lexus corrected but they and Acura always had horrific tech compared to their Toyota / Honda counterparts. The Acura touch pad is nearly bad enough to fully pass on the brand.
I tested a light modded 2015 RC-F coupe. It was super dope, sounded good. Was a good blend of old man comfort and performance thrills. Rear seat was usable. I didnt like the rear styling and it looks odd from some angles. The deal was strong. $36k for a 2015 with 48k miles. I knew it would likely be more reliable, but the allure of ze germans and tuned 475-500hp is very strong. :like:

https://www.allstarautomotive.com/used- ... C3F5001009

The RC-F are kinda rare birds, which I like. I found the best deal around. But man the interior screams 2005... that was a huge turn off and likely one more driving factor for the Big Mexican Weiner.