Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:44 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 pm

Which oil and which car?
infiniti qx80, mobil 1 5w-30, engine. BMW is coming up next, considering taking to shop again. Lots of miata and motorcycle things to do this season.
Oh right y'all got that house on wheels. You averaging 12mpg in that bad boy?
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:57 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:44 pm

infiniti qx80, mobil 1 5w-30, engine. BMW is coming up next, considering taking to shop again. Lots of miata and motorcycle things to do this season.
Oh right y'all got that house on wheels. You averaging 12mpg in that bad boy?
:lol:

12.7. The point 7 is important.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:52 am

Rented a Cammie last week, got 35 MPG :notbad:

We went to the mountains last weekend and were around/on some amazing roads but we were in the :jeep: sadly. GR86 is still going great, I love driving it but don't drive it all that much. Minimal interest in :plac: other than the occasional musings around if/when breeding works out. Due to work being busy I really haven't had a ton of time to watch YouTube or anything so :notsure: if anything interesting is happening in the car world, but I don't think so?
2.5 gasser or hybrid ?
Yea :plac: is kind of low here as well... mainly because everything new is overly expensive and not that interesting at the moment.

Car world...
4th gen tacoma is out... it is almost 20% than the 3rd gen... making a fully loaded Off Road trim 55k... and not the PRO trim which is still tbd... My Pro was 48k for reference.

Also the new "Land Cruiser" came out which is kind of a joke... it isn't a land cruiser at all it is a 4Runner.... it starts at 58k.... and with 1 option it goes to 64k... so it is insanely pricy. And then it starts eating to a GX550 which is literally the same car with a lexus badge and a TTV6... so it makes things immensely confusing in the toyota world...

Also toyota claims it will bring a 4runner also? :butwhy: when the "land cruiser" Already comes with cloth seats... bizzare.

FCA has record inventories and they are unwilling to wind back the 50-70% increases to their MSRPs that they have done since 2019... a loaded non V8 wrangler licks 80 grand..... 80 fucking grand.
It was just a poverty gasser, so I thought the MPGee was pretty dece for that.

I think Toyota and others set this pricing during 2022 and had no sense that the insane market would end. That said, I'm sure there are enough forum bros who have to have the new Taco that it will do well at least initially.

IDK are we in a recession? My sales are literally shit and I'm busting my ass to try to get where I need to be. I'm hanging out at like 70% of last year's revenue YTD. Cars are now rotting on lots when they were impossible to get a couple of years ago. It seems like they're starting to lower interest rates? I think paying the lofty new car prices right now would be foolish. Hell, I bought my 86 at peak dumb and it seems like I lost over $1/mile already on that deal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My wife now really wants an ID Buzz so I guess that is noteworthy? I said :nope: we are :jeep: for at least a couple more years.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Land Cruiser configurator is out. $67k for the mid tier trim with premium package. :wtf: :disgust:

Poverty spec is $55k.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:57 pm Land Cruiser configurator is out. $67k for the mid tier trim with premium package. :wtf: :disgust:

Poverty spec is $55k.
Poverty Spec or nothing. Otherwise the Lexus makes more sense for just a couple thousand more.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:57 pm Land Cruiser configurator is out. $67k for the mid tier trim with premium package. :wtf: :disgust:

Poverty spec is $55k.
It’s like 58k after destination … for cloth manual seats and plastic fantastic interior with a minivan engine.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that. Poverty should be 39,995 and it should top out at 55
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:32 pm My wife now really wants an ID Buzz so I guess that is noteworthy? I said :nope: we are :jeep: for at least a couple more years.
Well the ID buzz is probs a year away … might be a nice derp mobile around town. But you guys road trip… and evs are not for road trips
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:32 pm My wife now really wants an ID Buzz so I guess that is noteworthy? I said :nope: we are :jeep: for at least a couple more years.
Well the ID buzz is probs a year away … might be a nice derp mobile around town. But you guys road trip… and evs are not for road trips
:dat: Maybe in 2-3 years it'll be different. I do like it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:38 pm

Poverty spec is $55k.
Poverty Spec or nothing. Otherwise the Lexus makes more sense for just a couple thousand more.
Yup. I love the look of both trucks and was hoping the Toyota would be affordable. Guess not.

Even the poverty spec at $55k is :ludacris:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:08 pm

I’ve always wanted a vintage VW Bus camper…. This ID Buzz reminds me of that. Not better than a :jeep: :doe:

However, not many things are better than a jeep IMO. Especially a 2 door TJ!

EV would suck for your lifestyle. Imagine us passing you on the way to Wilmy next month as you wait a few hours to charge your Buzz!!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 pm

Poverty spec is $55k.
It’s like 58k after destination … for cloth manual seats and plastic fantastic interior with a minivan engine.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that. Poverty should be 39,995 and it should top out at 55
I was hoping it’d be priced more like a wrangler or bronco fighter but I guess they’re leaving that for the next gen 4Runner.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I like the ID Buzz. I find it confusing though. Minivans are epic road trip vehicles. But an electric road trip vehicle makes no sense....
We might get one anyway if the prices are right. Minivans are freaking great.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 am Anyone doing car related shit here or are we all breeding and or attempting to breed ?!
:rage:
I'm casually looking for stuff. #2 gets removed from her cocoon in 2 weeks and I think shits gonna hit the fan with only one vehicle. Front runners are wagons of some sort, but I can't afford shit because of this dumb house. A Volvo V60 would be high on the list.

I dunno. I like the CUV experience so far, so maybe I'd just get another one of those types of things and be done with caring altogether.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm

I’ve always wanted a vintage VW Bus camper…. This ID Buzz reminds me of that. Not better than a :jeep: :doe:

EV would suck for your lifestyle. Imagine us passing you on the way to Wilmy next month as you wait a few hours to charge your Buzz!!
Agreed on all. I really wanted a VW bus starting in high school but the reality is they’re epic shit boxes and kind of expensive. 50 ponies powering a BUS is pretty sad. So that style in a modern vehicle is pretty damn cool but a plug in hybrid would be superior.

Jeep isn’t going anywhere, it’ll be paid off in a year and we’ll own both vehicles outright. Jeep is cool and fun, I’m glad we got it as I’ve always wanted one, but it isn’t exactly my thing. You’re doing it right with a manual two door soft top. They’re great fun vehicles but as the family hauler it’s functional but not the best - handles like shit on the freeway, loud, poor fuel economy, etc. It is charming though, I’ll take all the negatives versus having something that’s just boring like a Mazda CX5 or whatever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:05 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 am Anyone doing car related shit here or are we all breeding and or attempting to breed ?!
:rage:
I'm casually looking for stuff. #2 gets removed from her cocoon in 2 weeks and I think shits gonna hit the fan with only one vehicle. Front runners are wagons of some sort, but I can't afford shit because of this dumb house. A Volvo V60 would be high on the list.

I dunno. I like the CUV experience so far, so maybe I'd just get another one of those types of things and be done with caring altogether.
Curious where you wind up, hopefully there’s a neat wagon that’s affordable. I will say in your boat I’d probably prioritize reliability since you already have to deal with the house, although hopefully the kinks are worked out of that in time.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:57 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm

Agreed on all. I really wanted a VW bus starting in high school but the reality is they’re epic shit boxes and kind of expensive. 50 ponies powering a BUS is pretty sad. So that style in a modern vehicle is pretty damn cool but a plug in hybrid would be superior.

Jeep isn’t going anywhere, it’ll be paid off in a year and we’ll own both vehicles outright. Jeep is cool and fun, I’m glad we got it as I’ve always wanted one, but it isn’t exactly my thing. You’re doing it right with a manual two door soft top. They’re great fun vehicles but as the family hauler it’s functional but not the best - handles like shit on the freeway, loud, poor fuel economy, etc. It is charming though, I’ll take all the negatives versus having something that’s just boring like a Mazda CX5 or whatever.
I’ve driven your wrang, and thought it handled just fine. 20 years of tech and jeep really made strides! I think you still don’t quite get it since you’re such a two door sports car kinda guy, but it’ll click when you’re cruising in that buzz one day.

It’s funny about functionality, because for you guys having the 4 door, I don’t feel like you have that much more storage than my TJ. I told Kat I found a guy that makes custom child seats that replace the rear seat in the TJ for if we ever pop another out, and she said :nope: after some persuading she seemed to agree it would be ok. This was after referencing my dad putting me on the tank of his motorcycle at 1 yo and riding around. My mom has vcr footage of that somewhere. Just don’t know where I’d store all the shit (diapers, stroller,etc). I was like maybe I’ll get a 4 door wrangler, then changed my mind 5 minutes later to naw on that. Started looking at roof racks for the TJ… :smrt:

However I was talking to a guy at the bike source shop and him and his wife don’t own a car….in Charlotte!! They live in Madison park, have two day care aged kids and ride their bikes everywhere. He showed me his setup with the kid seat and rack. I was like I’m kinda :notbad: by your bike van. That would def take planning and be a pain in the ass. But if that guy can make a bike work, I can make a TJ and 10 year old basic ass 3 series with waxed calipers work…
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:22 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:57 am

I’ve driven your wrang, and thought it handled just fine. 20 years of tech and jeep really made strides! I think you still don’t quite get it since you’re such a two door sports car kinda guy, but it’ll click when you’re cruising in that buzz one day.

It’s funny about functionality, because for you guys having the 4 door, I don’t feel like you have that much more storage than my TJ. I told Kat I found a guy that makes custom child seats that replace the rear seat in the TJ for if we ever pop another out, and she said :nope: after some persuading she seemed to agree it would be ok. This was after referencing my dad putting me on the tank of his motorcycle at 1 yo and riding around. My mom has vcr footage of that somewhere. Just don’t know where I’d store all the shit (diapers, stroller,etc). I was like maybe I’ll get a 4 door wrangler, then changed my mind 5 minutes later to naw on that. Started looking at roof racks for the TJ… :smrt:

However I was talking to a guy at the bike source shop and him and his wife don’t own a car….in Charlotte!! They live in Madison park, have two day care aged kids and ride their bikes everywhere. He showed me his setup with the kid seat and rack. I was like I’m kinda :notbad: by your bike van. That would def take planning and be a pain in the ass. But if that guy can make a bike work, I can make a TJ and 10 year old basic ass 3 series with waxed calipers work…
The handling thing is all relative but it is the worst handling personal vehicle on sale today IMO. Sure, it's better than my F550 custom built Bang Bus from my last job that had 10K of shit hanging out behind the rear axle, but it is still abysmal. You can :aintcare: because it is certainly 'good enough' but I'd enjoy something with steering that didn't feel like it's from the 1950s. Dat recirculating :balls: is quite antiquated.

I do find the JL to be pretty spacious though, it's more in line the Cherokee y'all had. I rode all over in the back seat last weekend and was quite comfy. The ride quality is certainly pretty good for the type of vehicle IMO.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am

The handling thing is all relative but it is the worst handling personal vehicle on sale today IMO. Sure, it's better than my F550 custom built Bang Bus from my last job that had 10K of shit hanging out behind the rear axle, but it is still abysmal. You can :aintcare: because it is certainly 'good enough' but I'd enjoy something with steering that didn't feel like it's from the 1950s. Dat recirculating :balls: is quite antiquated.

I do find the JL to be pretty spacious though, it's more in line the Cherokee y'all had. I rode all over in the back seat last weekend and was quite comfy. The ride quality is certainly pretty good for the type of vehicle IMO.
That thing is like a lion locked up in a zoo, it just wants to be set free to hunt and roam. Take that thing off road dude. I’m getting some new bumpers for the jeep + a front winch. I’ll tow ya out if ya get stuck!
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am

I love everything about the JL except the awful steering and wiggle wobble over any bump. It would be a better vehicle if it had IFS.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:05 pm

Curious where you wind up, hopefully there’s a neat wagon that’s affordable. I will say in your boat I’d probably prioritize reliability since you already have to deal with the house, although hopefully the kinks are worked out of that in time.
Whatever is purchased would be cheap. So I won’t be able to be picky. An outback would be great but cheap means high miles and a high mileage Subaru is not ideal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have a 2024 EcoBoost 'vert for my rental this week. All in all a pretty decent car so far. The 10 speed is better than the other ones I've rented but still kind of shitty. The windows seal now, which is :nice: . Chassis is great. Car feels quite big but is similar in size inside to the GR86.

3/7, wouldn't buy. I'll review more after I've turned it in.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My rental mustang vert windows did not seal. Was a Le to return it for the 330e I had back in October.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm My rental mustang vert windows did not seal. Was a Le to return it for the 330e I had back in October.
I’ve had about three of the previous gen, one was such a POS I returned it for the Mercedes I murdered the buck with in Utah. All three the rear windows didn’t seal, and I’m not talking a little whistle, this was like 0.5”+ of gap on both sides. Ferd really is kind of :poop:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:19 pm My rental mustang vert windows did not seal. Was a Le to return it for the 330e I had back in October.
I’ve had about three of the previous gen, one was such a POS I returned it for the Mercedes I murdered the buck with in Utah. All three the rear windows didn’t seal, and I’m not talking a little whistle, this was like 0.5”+ of gap on both sides. Ferd really is kind of :poop:
Ford is pretty much off the list for us for the foreseeable future. We’ve had too many crap vehicles from them. And a good 1/10 of them I see driving or on the street have under body panels dragging on the pavement.

My dads truck is :disgust: