:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

It is hard to beat in terms of new sports car per dollar. BRZ Limited under invoice via supplier pricing is the play. Saves a grand or two more.

Can't realistically get in a used, desirable Porsche that isn't beat to hell for cheaper. Anything faster isn't going to be appreciably more fun either.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:26 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:20 pm

Yea that's why it's being garage queened. I just DD the IX through our storms, to work etc. And I kinda love it this way. Driving the tacoma with 5 windows down and moon roof open is almost a convertible experience... + :manuel: :muah: it's hard to give it up... and its a fucking hulk green thing in a sea of grey and white and black. I'd do the same with a brz/86/m2/m3 or 911... but I don't want to light money on fire... the 86 just makes so much sense however... :jelly: I really want to :dock: and drive one. Ok that's all
Well, you're welcome to take mine for a spin if you ever find yourself out this way!
Yea as you know I am eying that part of the country so it is inevitable at some point. Hopefully you'll still have it in 6-9 months
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:26 pm

Well, you're welcome to take mine for a spin if you ever find yourself out this way!
Yea as you know I am eying that part of the country so it is inevitable at some point. Hopefully you'll still have it in 6-9 months
I will... we found out :tits: isn't pregnant from this round, tested positive initially and then had an early miscarriage I guess, second test her HCG didn't keep going up. So hopefully next round but nonetheless I'll at least keep it until we have a :baby: and see if it works, go from there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm It is hard to beat in terms of new sports car per dollar. BRZ Limited under invoice via supplier pricing is the play. Saves a grand or two more.

Can't realistically get in a used, desirable Porsche that isn't beat to hell for cheaper. Anything faster isn't going to be appreciably more fun either.
:dat: I really wanted the 86 for the colors/looks but if you don't share that preference the BRZ is a better buy. Order exactly what you want with relatively easy to get discounts available.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:06 pm
MrH42 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm It is hard to beat in terms of new sports car per dollar. BRZ Limited under invoice via supplier pricing is the play. Saves a grand or two more.

:dat: I really wanted the 86 for the colors/looks but if you don't share that preference the BRZ is a better buy. Order exactly what you want with relatively easy to get discounts available.
If you haven't unplugged the fake noise generator yet, highly recommend. The engine sounds so much better without it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:06 pm

If you haven't unplugged the fake noise generator yet, highly recommend. The engine sounds so much better without it.
:word: It was terrible, I think I unplugged in the first week or so, never went back. I do have the GR exhaust as part of the 10AE package, it sounds aight. Definitely not the greatest sounding car regardless.
max225

This seems to sound decent
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Dis juan :megusta:

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjLX2L ... vic-type-r

:jimp:

We'll see if the crashing used market has any effect on this car. Spotted my first one the other day in this color. :megusta:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:03 am https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjLX2L ... vic-type-r

We'll see if the crashing used market has any effect on this car. Spotted my first one the other day in this color. :megusta:
you have an m3, the literal holy grail "drive to work and/or the track" car. Why are you lusting after a FWD fanboi machine?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:09 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:03 am https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjLX2L ... vic-type-r

you have an m3, the literal holy grail "drive to work and/or the track" car. Why are you lusting after a FWD fanboi machine?
I can't like other cars? The bmw isn't going anywhere but I still like the Hype R.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

There's a used black CTR for sale near me at UNDER MSRP. :mindblown:

Might have to go kick the tires for funsies.

https://www.lockhartcadillac.com/used/H ... 067312.htm
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:50 am There's a used black CTR for sale near me at UNDER MSRP. :mindblown:

:doit:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:20 am

I can't like other cars? The bmw isn't going anywhere but I still like the Hype R.
Sure, just me personally I dont look at auctions and stuff for things i dont plan to buy :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:16 am

Sure, just me personally I dont look at auctions and stuff for things i dont plan to buy :doe:
I usually don't either but I still get the C&B emails and this was a featured car.
max225

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:50 am There's a used black CTR for sale near me at UNDER MSRP. :mindblown:

I have been posting about their prices for a bit here. This is expected. I’d really value your input.

I have 3 cars in my sights … 86 at 30… ctr at 45 and m2 at 65…. I’m curious if you think the ctr is worth the near 50% premium over the 86/brz.
max225

Stay in your lane brake pad cover boy! Brad said so.

:lolgasm:
max225

My prediction … 41.5k tops. With the CB fee that puts it at market rates. 9k miles is a little high for most current gen cars also.
max225

So compared to an m3 imo the CTR is a far more usable aka throwaway car you can put some miles on without excessive maintenance/cost worries.

Imo I would feel much more comfortable taking it to 100k than an m car… better mpg, cheaper parts, better dealers. And probably close to the amount of fun… yea the i6 is far faster and rwd can slide sideways (where tho) but the civic is almost 1k lbs lighter… and is still quite a bit of fun
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:09 pm

I have been posting about their prices for a bit here. This is expected. I’d really value your input.

I have 3 cars in my sights … 86 at 30… ctr at 45 and m2 at 65…. I’m curious if you think the ctr is worth the near 50% premium over the 86/brz.
You didn’t ask me… but I think yes. However, that’s only if you need the practicality. Type R is pretty impressive at/around MSRP, it’s light, fun, fast, reliable, and can do any dad/work/trip whatever stuff you throw at it. It’s basically what the M3 was in the E36 era.

I think the 86 is pretty equal in fun and also looks better. I would only pay more for the Civic if all the practicality is needed.

To me they’re about equal as fun driver’s cars:

86 wins on RWD, light weight, ‘real’ sports car, looks.

Civic wins on power, lap times, grip.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:09 pm

You didn’t ask me… but I think yes. However, that’s only if you need the practicality. Type R is pretty impressive at/around MSRP, it’s light, fun, fast, reliable, and can do any dad/work/trip whatever stuff you throw at it. It’s basically what the M3 was in the E36 era.

I think the 86 is pretty equal in fun and also looks better. I would only pay more for the Civic if all the practicality is needed.

I also want to hear from you, but I figured you just voted with your wallet ;) and I don’t believe you drove the new one. We both drove the old one and I think we both really liked them (dynamics wise). You loved the styling and I hated the last one.

I’d still be really curious about nvh and ride quality. I think I’d have to swap the integra ride module over for a softer ride as the stock R seems too stiff.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 pm

I also want to hear from you, but I figured you just voted with your wallet ;) and I don’t believe you drove the new one. We both drove the old one and I think we both really liked them (dynamics wise). You loved the styling and I hated the last one.

I’d still be really curious about nvh and ride quality. I think I’d have to swap the integra ride module over for a softer ride as the stock R seems too stiff.
Agreed on all. The last one drove great and I'm sure the new one is even a tad better. I'm curious as they do start hitting the used market more how the Integra will compare in price. I think given the Integra is the 'same car' but rides a lot better, has a better stereo, and is slightly nicer, it would maybe be a better buy if they wind up continuing to transact at the same prices. It's a tough call though, the Civic is iconic, I like the seats better, it's probably a bit more fun if you're really getting after it in the mountains or track or anything. The reality is, none of us here really do that stuff frequently though, hence why the Integra is also interesting to me.

I want to like the GR Corolla as it seems like a just as fun option and adds AWD and a lower price, but man, after sitting in one, I dunno. It's a shitbox inside, the 86 is way nicer. It's also pretty small. More practical than an 86 but not exactly a 100% usable family car like the Honda.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 pm You didn’t ask me… but I think yes. However, that’s only if you need the practicality. Type R is pretty impressive at/around MSRP, it’s light, fun, fast, reliable, and can do any dad/work/trip whatever stuff you throw at it. It’s basically what the M3 was in the E36 era.

I'm surely :wrong: but I didn't think the last CTR was all that special to drive. I still had my MK7 at the time and, driving them back to back, on the street the difference was negligible. It was like turning the GTI up from a 7 to and 8. Yeah, the CTR was faster, but it didn't give me much more "fizz" than the GTI did. It felt pretty sedate. The steering was no better, the shifter was marginally better but it's no S2000. If felt like a Civic. I'm guessing the new one will feel the same. :iono: If I wanted an engaging Honda Civic sedan, I'd buy an FA5 and throw a supercharger on it.

The STi I drove right after that was a bit slower but was way more interesting to drive. The engine has more character, the shifter feels more mechanical (because it is, unlike the cable shifter in the CTR), it has hydraulic steering...it all made for a big contrast vs the GTI and CTR.
max225

coogles wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:05 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 pm You didn’t ask me… but I think yes. However, that’s only if you need the practicality. Type R is pretty impressive at/around MSRP, it’s light, fun, fast, reliable, and can do any dad/work/trip whatever stuff you throw at it. It’s basically what the M3 was in the E36 era.

I'm surely :wrong: but I didn't think the last CTR was all that special to drive. I still had my MK7 at the time and, driving them back to back, on the street the difference was negligible. It was like turning the GTI up from a 7 to and 8. Yeah, the CTR was faster, but it didn't give me much more "fizz" than the GTI did. It felt pretty sedate. The steering was no better, the shifter was marginally better but it's no S2000. If felt like a Civic. I'm guessing the new one will feel the same. :iono: If I wanted an engaging Honda Civic sedan, I'd buy an FA5 and throw a supercharger on it.

The STi I drove right after that was a bit slower but was way more interesting to drive. The engine has more character, the shifter feels more mechanical (because it is, unlike the cable shifter in the CTR), it has hydraulic steering...it all made for a big contrast vs the GTI and CTR.
Interesting … I really didn’t like the STI. The engine was shit imo, power came on by 3500 and you had to shift by 6000, the power band was super narrow and frankly the car was slow for what it was. It also had a rougher ride than the civic, and worse shifter (but it wasn’t a bad one).

Then you have 20mpgs and tiny gas tank. You’d have to live at a :disgust: gas station. And then you have the reliability of Subaru boxer engines … the wrx felt a bit more polished to me and I preferred that power delivery but it didn’t have the burble sound.

None of these cars are fast frankly, I would just be looking for driving enjoyment which is highly subjective as we’re finding out here.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

See, I hated the FA20 in the WRX. No fun to rev and very uneven. I also thought the engine in the CTR was boring. It does a job but it doesn't feel like a Honda engine.

Keep in mind, I guess, that I'm not coming at this from the perspective of looking for a daily. If I were, I'd just get another MK7 or probably 7.5 GTI and be done with it. I'm comparing these as a car to drive occasionally with more practicality than the GR86. And for that, the only one that felt like a unique experience to me was the STi.