Turn Signals Optional: Gberg’s M3

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 am

Also, changing the tire setting to less than 100mph removed the constant inflate tire message. Why even have 2 different pressure settings? Just use the one for above 100mph.
You're welcome :hubba:

Germans are anal about that sort of shit... I Think it actually may be some sort of euro requirement. Because I distinctly remember the Defender having some sort of speed related tire pressure setting also... :iono:

The euro tire pressure requirements seems completely :wrong: for at least california roads.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 am Dropped the bmw at the detailer of doom this morning. He's going to wash it, look for anything else that needs fixing, and put down new ppf on the roof. Going to pick it up tomorrow night so it has a full day and a half to cure in his shop.

Though when I pulled up his shop was completely full so we'll see when it actually gets pulled inside. :notsure:

Also, changing the tire setting to less than 100mph removed the constant inflate tire message. Why even have 2 different pressure settings? Just use the one for above 100mph.

:plaid: :muah: :mahman: :zing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:07 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 am

You're welcome :hubba:

Germans are anal about that sort of shit... I Think it actually may be some sort of euro requirement. Because I distinctly remember the Defender having some sort of speed related tire pressure setting also... :iono:

The euro tire pressure requirements seems completely :wrong: for at least california roads.
The my bmw app also changed to now show the recommended pressure as 33.1 all around. Again, that just seems so low. The :gorf: wanted the tires at 39psi!! Granted it's a 235/35 compared to a 275/35 but still. The 100+ setting of 36/41 sounds like it might be better? Regardless, I'll ask them on Saturday.

The speed limit button on the steering wheel must also be a german/euro thing that's :butwhy: over here. It's the forbidden button that will NEVER get used.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:52 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 am Dropped the bmw at the detailer of doom this morning. He's going to wash it, look for anything else that needs fixing, and put down new ppf on the roof. Going to pick it up tomorrow night so it has a full day and a half to cure in his shop.

Though when I pulled up his shop was completely full so we'll see when it actually gets pulled inside. :notsure:

:plaid: :muah: :mahman: :zing:
I can't travel at peasant speeds anymore. 100+ only.
max225

They are supposed to have some sort of non defeatable speed limit chime now... :disgust: Eurotrasholes are doing some weird shit... Gasoline particulate filters, rev limiters, non defeatable start stop... speed limiters etc.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:39 pm They are supposed to have some sort of non defeatable speed limit chime now... :disgust: Eurotrasholes are doing some weird shit... Gasoline particulate filters, rev limiters, non defeatable start stop... speed limiters etc.
fuck that. Is the fucking government going to come replace my starter?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:39 pm They are supposed to have some sort of non defeatable speed limit chime now... :disgust: Eurotrasholes are doing some weird shit... Gasoline particulate filters, rev limiters, non defeatable start stop... speed limiters etc.
:disgust:

I disabled all the speed limit/warning shit on the dash except for the icon that shows the posted speed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I will not buy a car with non-defeatable Start/Stop.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I installed one of these in my old Outback. Worth every penny. Just makes sure your auto/start stop setting is remembered. So you can turn it off, and it'll never turn back on after a couple of ignition cycles.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm shocked the auto start/stop is off by default in the bmw and it's not something I have to disable every time I start it up.

Start/stop in a :manuel: just seems weird.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:47 am I'm shocked the auto start/stop is off by default in the bmw and it's not something I have to disable every time I start it up.

Yeah, it's really weird on manuals. I think just pushing in the clutch kicks the engine back on in the cars that have it with a manual.

BRZ/GR86 doesn't even have it, thank god.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:07 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:47 am I'm shocked the auto start/stop is off by default in the bmw and it's not something I have to disable every time I start it up.

Yeah, it's really weird on manuals. I think just pushing in the clutch kicks the engine back on in the cars that have it with a manual.

My 328i had it. I actually think it was less annoying than in an auto because like you said, as soon as you pushed the clutch, it would start. This means you're ready to go by the time you're in gear and bringing the clutch back out. It also wouldn't turn off if you had the clutch depressed, so it would only turn off if sitting at a light or something in neutral versus say sitting at a stop sign waiting to make a left (where I tend to keep the clutch depressed some I'm ready when there's an opening).

That said, fuck that feature. Ever since dealing with two batteries in my :jeep: , one of which was a pain to change, only lasting three years... nah. It's dumb and extra batteries in the landfill are far worse than the tablespoon of gas used each year that start/stop might potentially save.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:50 pm
MrH42 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:07 am

My 328i had it. I actually think it was less annoying than in an auto because like you said, as soon as you pushed the clutch, it would start. This means you're ready to go by the time you're in gear and bringing the clutch back out. It also wouldn't turn off if you had the clutch depressed, so it would only turn off if sitting at a light or something in neutral versus say sitting at a stop sign waiting to make a left (where I tend to keep the clutch depressed some I'm ready when there's an opening).

That said, fuck that feature. Ever since dealing with two batteries in my :jeep: , one of which was a pain to change, only lasting three years... nah. It's dumb and extra batteries in the landfill are far worse than the tablespoon of gas used each year that start/stop might potentially save.
My 440i has a button ring around the start/stop where you just disable it. You didn't have that?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:50 pm

My 440i has a button ring around the start/stop where you just disable it. You didn't have that?
Well I went into sport mode every drive which disabled it automatically but it had that as well. The throttle not in sport mode made the manual kind of undriveable. The handful of times I did try it though, it was less annoying than in our Wrongler.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:41 pm

Well I went into sport mode every drive which disabled it automatically but it had that as well. The throttle not in sport mode made the manual kind of undriveable. The handful of times I did try it though, it was less annoying than in our Wrongler.
Can confirm that the car is only enjoyable in super sport mode with the start/stop OFF!

I turned it off on our Grand Cher shortly after buying it. All that function does in traffic is completely wear out your batteries.

Jeep has a really aggressive start/stop as well! The wrangler I’ve noticed is notoriously annoying.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

This is what :triggered: me in the R. Blipping the throttle to rev match downshifts and really just driving in general was so much better with it in race mode. Normal mode it felt kind of lazy. I’d prefer throttle not be adjustable with a manual to maintain consistency.

That’s why I did the bleeder block to remove the clutch delay valve too. Deleting the cdv is also a mod for the BMW but much like in the GTI/R, people seem to be split on if it made a difference.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:34 pm

This is what :triggered: me in the R. Blipping the throttle to rev match downshifts and really just driving in general was so much better with it in race mode. Normal mode it felt kind of lazy. I’d prefer throttle not be adjustable with a manual to maintain consistency.

That’s why I did the bleeder block to remove the clutch delay valve too. Deleting the cdv is also a mod for the BMW but much like in the GTI/R, people seem to be split on if it made a difference.
I noticed that in your R. It had a little bit of the VW throttle delay when downshift blipping but it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as my GTI was. IMO you had it set up pretty close to ideal. A little faster on the throttle response and it would have been perfect but it was very driveable as it was.
max225

What’s shocking is that a manual performance bmw even has it
max225

The start stop is the reason why you have 2 piggy back batteries :triggered:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:00 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:34 pm

I noticed that in your R. It had a little bit of the VW throttle delay when downshift blipping but it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as my GTI was. IMO you had it set up pretty close to ideal. A little faster on the throttle response and it would have been perfect but it was very driveable as it was.
I agree. I get adjustable throttle for autos because it's an auto and :derp: wants to make it feel more sporty but for :manuel: it should only be one setting.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:11 am

What’s shocking is that a manual performance bmw even has it
Maybe .gov regulations? :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Car is back from the detailer of doom and of course I'm faced with an "Am I the asshole?" question. So he redid the roof ppf and touched up a few other areas but my main thing is with the roof.

I noticed at least 3 dust spots under the ppf. :doomed: Now this was under his shop lights so it was fairly bright BUT if I noticed it in there won't I see it out in the daylight? It was dark out by the time I picked it up and they didn't really stand out under my garage lighting. I pointed this out and he said he couldn't guarantee a dust free installation... The rest of the car looks great as there's no specks anywhere that I could find.

Either way I'll try and get pics tomorrow when I get my new tire and provide a cupmageddon update.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:10 pm Car is back from the detailer of doom and of course I'm faced with an "Am I the asshole?" question. So he redid the roof ppf and touched up a few other areas but my main thing is with the roof.

I noticed at least 3 dust spots under the ppf. :doomed: Now this was under his shop lights so it was fairly bright BUT if I noticed it in there won't I see it out in the daylight? It was dark out by the time I picked it up and they didn't really stand out under my garage lighting. I pointed this out and he said he couldn't guarantee a dust free installation... The rest of the car looks great as there's no specks anywhere that I could find.

Either way I'll try and get pics tomorrow when I get my new tire and provide a cupmageddon update.
I wanna see this.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Pics
max225

Still though … tint/ppf shops are 0/2 so far