Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dang 34k seems like a nice :dill: surprised it’s sitting. I suppose the miles are a bit high but still. I got 8800 on my 22
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:14 pm Prius appliance update.

Had the car 3.5 months. Driven 8500 miles. I have filled it with fuel 6 times, 9 gallon fills. I charge overnight at home and again at work, 48 mile commute each way.
Now it’s in winter, EV range has dropped from 42-45 miles per charge to 34-36.
It stands out as a fucking fantastic commuter appliance. It’s also relatively quick and is marginally entertaining on the back roads. Everyday Driver on YouTube chased a GR86 around on a track with surprising results. They’re not wrong about it. It’s a shit basic stereo away from perfection.

Also absolutely fucking nailed the timing for the trade on the Frontier as the $300/mo 18 month leases started coming back.
They still haven’t sold the truck and have it listed for $2500 less than I got for it and they put $900 of recon into it 😂
https://www.teamtoyotaprinceton.com/veh ... 8NN674737/
Nice. New Prius is on the CD 10 Best list.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 am
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:14 pm Prius appliance update.

Had the car 3.5 months. Driven 8500 miles. I have filled it with fuel 6 times, 9 gallon fills. I charge overnight at home and again at work, 48 mile commute each way.
Now it’s in winter, EV range has dropped from 42-45 miles per charge to 34-36.
It stands out as a fucking fantastic commuter appliance. It’s also relatively quick and is marginally entertaining on the back roads. Everyday Driver on YouTube chased a GR86 around on a track with surprising results. They’re not wrong about it. It’s a shit basic stereo away from perfection.

Also absolutely fucking nailed the timing for the trade on the Frontier as the $300/mo 18 month leases started coming back.
They still haven’t sold the truck and have it listed for $2500 less than I got for it and they put $900 of recon into it 😂
https://www.teamtoyotaprinceton.com/veh ... 8NN674737/
You gonna :doit: ?
max225

Somewhat car related... perhaps EV related to those in the state of cali... but this is kind of insane...

In 2022 it cost about 19 cents per kwh to charge EVs...
In 2023 they suddenly raised the cost to 25c per kw
In 2024 it is going to 34c per kw AT HOME at the lowest tier rate... the highest tier rate is going to 63c/kw
This is a 78% INCREASE which they claim is to keep up with inflation.

Public charging now costs anywhere between 40-70c ker kw... and that's likely to go up too.
At the highest tier rate it would cost $70 to "Fill up" my ev... California is FUCKING over everyone who got an ev and doesn't have solar... it is complete insanity.

Just to give a reference point ... most EVs get around 3 miles per kw... so it is almost 20 cents per mile at the highest rate now. So it is now the equivalent of 30mpg @ $6 a gallon from a cost perspective.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:21 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 am

You gonna :doit: ?
I would if I needed a commuter.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:26 am Somewhat car related... perhaps EV related to those in the state of cali... but this is kind of insane...

In 2022 it cost about 19 cents per kwh to charge EVs...
In 2023 they suddenly raised the cost to 25c per kw
In 2024 it is going to 34c per kw AT HOME at the lowest tier rate... the highest tier rate is going to 63c/kw
This is a 78% INCREASE which they claim is to keep up with inflation.

Public charging now costs anywhere between 40-70c ker kw... and that's likely to go up too.
At the highest tier rate it would cost $70 to "Fill up" my ev... California is FUCKING over everyone who got an ev and doesn't have solar... it is complete insanity.

Just to give a reference point ... most EVs get around 3 miles per kw... so it is almost 20 cents per mile at the highest rate now. So it is now the equivalent of 30mpg @ $6 a gallon from a cost perspective.
Thanks for doing the actual math.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Apparently Ye olde Matt said some things like you guys did about the cybertruck video that upset ye olde Cammisa.

They very civilly hash this out, you guys might be interested.

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:37 pm Apparently Ye olde Matt said some things like you guys did about the cybertruck video that upset ye olde Cammisa.

Listened to this. Cammisa was using his law degree to really try to strong arm this conversation using language Matt just wasn't ready for and it was pretty annoying.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:37 pm Apparently Ye olde Matt said some things like you guys did about the cybertruck video that upset ye olde Cammisa.

I have been planning to give this a listen and look forward to learning more. As I haven't yet, I still think they gave Jason money :iono:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:34 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:57 pm

They're auto only after this year too. So I guess technically the last 2 :manuel: hot hatches standing are the CTR and GR Rolla.
Integra. And I think mini still has manuals on the JCW hardtops.
:dat: i don't know about the new gen though. The new upcoming gen looks ugly as shit
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:30 pm

Listened to this. Cammisa was using his law degree to really try to strong arm this conversation using language Matt just wasn't ready for and it was pretty annoying.
:dat: and Jason I’m not paid by Tesla Cammisa was defending it on some fake news network today .. cnbc or whatever
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:30 pm

eh, i thought it was very fair. Full disclosure, I used to like Farah, and now I dont (covid hypocrite lefty BS) and even given that I thought he was very fair and it was a good discussion.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I can't even bring myself to watch it. Two car journalists who threw away their audience is just painful to watch. Matt can't get over his own guilt and shame of being rich and white. Jason sold his soul to the devil.

How disappointing.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225

No Shit … just about the worst use case for any ev is renting one short term. Especially in 90% of the country outside of California.

All the charging companies are now fleecing consumers at 5-10X the buy rate for electricity also
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm
No Shit … just about the worst use case for any ev is renting one short term. Especially in 90% of the country outside of California.

All the charging companies are now fleecing consumers at 5-10X the buy rate for electricity also
charging infrastructure ain't free and the capitalization term is hella long
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 pm

charging infrastructure ain't free and the capitalization term is hella long
The infrastructure got paid for by government grants + billions from VW... now things got really strange because paying 50c/kw in a state like texas where the buy rate is 5c is highway robbery to the consumer IMO, and it will severely burden some customers.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Hertz stated the reason was collisions and maintenance? Not necessarily they aren’t being rented.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah this was bound to happen. They just did the ramp up too early.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Hertz will instead opt for gas-powered vehicles, it said on Thursday, citing higher expenses related to collision and damage for EVs even though it had aimed to convert 25% of its fleet to electric by 2024 end.

So 25% to.....NOTHING. ZERO. NADA. ZIP. Who were the rocket scientists "aiming" to convert to 25% EV? What about the environment? WHAT ABOUT THE BABY DOLPHINS?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:07 pm Hertz will instead opt for gas-powered vehicles, it said on Thursday, citing higher expenses related to collision and damage for EVs even though it had aimed to convert 25% of its fleet to electric by 2024 end.

So 25% to.....NOTHING. ZERO. NADA. ZIP. Who were the rocket scientists "aiming" to convert to 25% EV? What about the environment? WHAT ABOUT THE BABY DOLPHINS?
Gotta pump the ESG score up now to offset. bipoc leadership teams or bust
max225

The other Jason fucking dishing the heat ! And gaining
My respect
max225

So another Hype R update... seems like Honda raised the msrps $1000 from 45ish to 46ish... that said based on the forum bros it is POSSIBLE to buy at sticker or about 3k over. This is a huge departure from 15k-20k over a few months ago... it has steadily been going down.

Interestingly enough and as expected the used pricing has really dipped... and you can get one for under 50k all day.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Still above sticker...but coming down to reality. It still seems like a really expensive proposition for what it is... but Honda/Acura is building quite a few of them to satisfy demand.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:45 am So another Hype R update... seems like Honda raised the msrps $1000 from 45ish to 46ish... that said based on the forum bros it is POSSIBLE to buy at sticker or about 3k over. This is a huge departure from 15k-20k over a few months ago... it has steadily been going down.

Interestingly enough and as expected the used pricing has really dipped... and you can get one for under 50k all day.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Still above sticker...but coming down to reality. It still seems like a really expensive proposition for what it is... but Honda/Acura is building quite a few of them to satisfy demand.
Have you put out any feelers to :dillerman: ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:impressive: