Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 pm 86 also needs new pads and rotors at 6400 miles :disgust:

Kind of wild that the factory stuff on a car that comes with free track time held up so poorly. It was on track for one hour total and has maybe five or six days of mountain road aggressive driving, the rest is highway/derping about.

I took it to the Toyota rape palace because the brakes were making noise and they were basically like ‘you must have been tracking this car and this isn’t covered under warranty’. So time for some better pads and rotors.
Wait :wtf: how ? My jcw mini had the super soft pads that would last just about that according to forum bros… but I still got 30k out of em and was cussing… since my m3 was saying it would go 120k before pads… is that a design flaw ? Rotors too? That’s just odd
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:59 pm :tits: did suggest if we have a kid that I keep the 86, keep the Brep Beep as a daily and get her a new car but I don’t think I’m going for that, too much :wasteful: and I don’t really want two SUVs.
That was exactly my scenario … and how I almost ended up with 3 cars :.. which is a :nope:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 pm 86 also needs new pads and rotors at 6400 miles :disgust:

Kind of wild that the factory stuff on a car that comes with free track time held up so poorly. It was on track for one hour total and has maybe five or six days of mountain road aggressive driving, the rest is highway/derping about.

I took it to the Toyota rape palace because the brakes were making noise and they were basically like ‘you must have been tracking this car and this isn’t covered under warranty’. So time for some better pads and rotors.
Wait :wtf: how ? My jcw mini had the super soft pads that would last just about that according to forum bros… but I still got 30k out of em and was cussing… since my m3 was saying it would go 120k before pads… is that a design flaw ? Rotors too? That’s just odd
I agree with you. Yes, I did take it to ONE track day, exactly 60 minutes on track. I also spent three days at Tail of the Dragon driving hard, hit some other mountain roads a handful of times.

I would get it if I'd done like eight hours on track but it seems pretty piss poor. I guess Subie pads are just shit. I'm just going to upgrade pads/rotors and call it a day. This is primarily just a daily but I do plan to keep going to mountain roads and tracks a few times a year. It's sort of the point of the car.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Do you need my Brembo discount

:waxer:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:01 am Do you need my Brembo discount

:waxer:
Maybe? What is the discount?

I haven't really researched it yet. I won't really be driving the car much for the next couple of weeks, so I have a bit of time.

Actually getting the front PPF installed next week, apparently I really detest USD at the moment.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 am
I agree with you. Yes, I did take it to ONE track day, exactly 60 minutes on track. I also spent three days at Tail of the Dragon driving hard, hit some other mountain roads a handful of times.

I would get it if I'd done like eight hours on track but it seems pretty piss poor. I guess Subie pads are just shit. I'm just going to upgrade pads/rotors and call it a day. This is primarily just a daily but I do plan to keep going to mountain roads and tracks a few times a year. It's sort of the point of the car.
:wtf: Is this a common complaint on the subie forums?

At least the engine didn't blow up on track.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:00 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 am

I chatted with a friend of mine who is a track instructor and she said this is the case on every BRZ. :ohwell: At least stuff on this car is relatively cheap.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:04 am

I chatted with a friend of mine who is a track instructor and she said this is the case on every BRZ. :ohwell: At least stuff on this car is relatively cheap.
:dat:

And some CSG stuff should last quite a bit longer than the OEM garbage.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:04 am

:mindblown: Hopefully the aftermarket stuff will last a bit longer.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Jesus that is a lot. I was told with honda that brakes fade easily and short if I am not easy on them at break in. Knock on wood, brakes still good as new after 60k. Dealer never mentioned about them.

So much for a performance car :doe:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anyone ever use PowerStop brakes? This seems :notbad: https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/TDBK6164/10002/-1
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:08 pm Anyone ever use PowerStop brakes? This seems :notbad: https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/TDBK6164/10002/-1
no. prob fine.

If you dont mind dust, axxis metal masters have always been my go-to pad for my sports cars that see hard mountain driving, autox, and track but still great on the street. They dont need a ton of heat before they start working REAL GOOD. The track will eat them up faster, but if you are doing more than a couple track days a year you really should be changing to a track pad for those days.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:08 pm Anyone ever use PowerStop brakes? This seems :notbad: https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/TDBK6164/10002/-1
no. prob fine.

If you dont mind dust, axxis metal masters have always been my go-to pad for my sports cars that see hard mountain driving, autox, and track but still great on the street. They dont need a ton of heat before they start working REAL GOOD. The track will eat them up faster, but if you are doing more than a couple track days a year you really should be changing to a track pad for those days.
I don't really have time/money/interest in going to the track more than like 1-4 times/year, so I don't really want to bother with multiple pads. I had Stoptechs on my Corvette and drove it on track/street and other than being pretty high dust, they were great. I tracked that car quite a bit for a couple of years too.

Looks like Axxis Metal Masters maybe aren't available after a quick Google.

I've never used Hawk pads, they seem to be popular.

The Everyday Driver guys had an 86 for a year and are sponsored by Power Stop, they put that kit on their car and drove it on track/street and really liked it, so I'm going off that and that it seems pretty reasonably priced. I'm glad I don't need to drop like $900 on this, :tits: would be :unamused: after I blew $2400 on PPF (going on next week) and another $1K on bike shit.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:48 am

no. prob fine.

I don't really have time/money/interest in going to the track more than like 1-4 times/year, so I don't really want to bother with multiple pads. I had Stoptechs on my Corvette and drove it on track/street and other than being pretty high dust, they were great. I tracked that car quite a bit for a couple of years too.

Dang.

My only experience with Hawks was on the 240sx s13 race car, I got a good close out deal on hawk blacks so i got like 3 sets. We were going though a set of pads every weekend (i guess not bad for 14 hour enduros..) and having performance issues.

now the blacks are real deal race pads, sparks and all. and they were GREAT for stopping.... but we went from doing pads every race and rotors every other to doing rotors every race :lol: A set of those blacks would last through 3-4 sets of rotors.

Point being, though I have no personal experience with Hawk street pads, they make a good product IMHO so one of their aggressive street pads should be muy bueno.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

no. prob fine.

The Everyday Driver guys had an 86 for a year and are sponsored by Power Stop, they put that kit on their car and drove it on track/street and really liked it, so I'm going off that and that it seems pretty reasonably priced. I'm glad I don't need to drop like $900 on this, :tits: would be :unamused: after I blew $2400 on PPF (going on next week) and another $1K on bike shit.
:mahman: Guessing xpel?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 am

Suntek.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:00 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 am

Suntek.
I had no idea there were so many film brands going into it. I thought it was pretty much just xpel but apparently some of the other brands might be a bit better. They're more hydrophobic and have less orange peel than xpel.

Are you just doing full front?
max225

no. prob fine.

Damn near mid 4 figures for paint "protection" is pretty wild in my book.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

All the time. I've had three sets. Seems to be a crap shoot whether you get super dusty pads or ones that don't dust at all, but otherwise no complaints.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:46 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:00 am

Suntek.
I had no idea there were so many film brands going into it. I thought it was pretty much just xpel but apparently some of the other brands might be a bit better. They're more hydrophobic and have less orange peel than xpel.

Well… the damn shop ghosted me, fully dark and locked up at the agreed upon time so I left. I called and texted and still haven’t heard anything. Had to head to the airport and won’t be home for a week so I guess they can suck by balls and I’m not doing it. It was full front, rockers, basically track pack.

I am now wondering if I’ll even bother. It’s a lot of money for a car that can only fetch $31k on C&B, if I might sell due to the kid thing in a year or so :iono: a doubt a few rock chips would take away that much value.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:01 pm
All the time. I've had three sets. Seems to be a crap shoot whether you get super dusty pads or ones that don't dust at all, but otherwise no complaints.
Inconsistency is weird but sounds decent. I would expect ‘Track Pads’ to dust so I’m not super worried about that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:01 pm

Inconsistency is weird but sounds decent. I would expect ‘Track Pads’ to dust so I’m not super worried about that.
Maybe the Corvette ones are "track" pads by default idk
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Powerstop also reproduces the C6 6 piston brakes now since Brembo isn't required to anymore.
max225

Tint and ppf shops have quite the record here now…
1 totalled IX
2 have to redo the roof/sidemarkers
3 straight up didn’t even show up
0/3
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:13 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:46 am

Well… the damn shop ghosted me, fully dark and locked up at the agreed upon time so I left. I called and texted and still haven’t heard anything. Had to head to the airport and won’t be home for a week so I guess they can suck by balls and I’m not doing it. It was full front, rockers, basically track pack.

I am now wondering if I’ll even bother. It’s a lot of money for a car that can only fetch $31k on C&B, if I might sell due to the kid thing in a year or so :iono: a doubt a few rock chips would take away that much value.
Wow. Fuck them. It’s probably not worth it then if you’re even thinking about it like that. Especially if there’s the possibility you’re going to :nuke: it for a :baby:

I only did mine since this is the forever car and a baby seat will fit in it just fine.