Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:03 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:26 pm

:bravo:
I liked the vid. It outlines the major issue with luxury suvs and why I’m so hesitant to actually “purchase” one. As clearly indicated by 30k repair bill for a disconnected tweeter it’s just absolutely insane once you actually do the :math:

The x7 he pictured imo requires 500-750k gross annual income to comfortably own. Once you get past that threshold obviously not as much of a financial drag. Fuck you money doesn’t care though. Which is why land rovers exist.

But yet … ignoring all the things that luxury suvs do better than say a Honda is a slippery slope. You start with a 120k x7 and you end up in a donkey cart with a squeaky wheel. They are all money wasters it just depends on your budget. A new pilot is hugely expensive as well, as used ones are worthless.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 25306.html

Like this thing is currently 50k new … 3 years and 25k shat through…

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 57814.html

40k cheaper than a new one and carries the same amount of people.

Slippery slope
I mean that second one was probably 35k new? So $25k to reliably transport the family for over a decade? Seems fine.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:37 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:03 pm

I liked the vid. It outlines the major issue with luxury suvs and why I’m so hesitant to actually “purchase” one. As clearly indicated by 30k repair bill for a disconnected tweeter it’s just absolutely insane once you actually do the :math:

The x7 he pictured imo requires 500-750k gross annual income to comfortably own. Once you get past that threshold obviously not as much of a financial drag. Fuck you money doesn’t care though. Which is why land rovers exist.

But yet … ignoring all the things that luxury suvs do better than say a Honda is a slippery slope. You start with a 120k x7 and you end up in a donkey cart with a squeaky wheel. They are all money wasters it just depends on your budget. A new pilot is hugely expensive as well, as used ones are worthless.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 25306.html

Like this thing is currently 50k new … 3 years and 25k shat through…

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/ ... 57814.html

40k cheaper than a new one and carries the same amount of people.

Slippery slope
I mean that second one was probably 35k new? So $25k to reliably transport the family for over a decade? Seems fine.
Those are 2012 dollars … $50k today. And the used market is still correcting like crazy… buying a pilot new is stupid expensive as well. I’d value a 50k pilot at 5k by year 10. That’s still $4500 a year … just saying it’s expensive to own a new pilot.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:45 am “Embarrassing” is a funny way to describe it, but yeah, it’s def not a Fendie or Rangey.

Funny enough I kind of wanted to consider a BMW SUV versus a Wrangler and :tits: thought it was too ostentatious and that it would make her a target for homeless.
White x3 is what every dickens Mitchner agent drives….every last one of them! Like clones…. :pout:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:37 pm

Those are 2012 dollars … $50k today. And the used market is still correcting like crazy… buying a pilot new is stupid expensive as well. I’d value a 50k pilot at 5k by year 10. That’s still $4500 a year … just saying it’s expensive to own a new pilot.
Sure, but it’s wicked expensive to own any car, duck is why it kinda sucks that it’s near impossible to go car free in this country.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:45 am “Embarrassing” is a funny way to describe it, but yeah, it’s def not a Fendie or Rangey.

Funny enough I kind of wanted to consider a BMW SUV versus a Wrangler and :tits: thought it was too ostentatious and that it would make her a target for homeless.
White x3 is what every dickens Mitchner agent drives….every last one of them! Like clones…. :pout:
True, I’d rather have the Wrangler in most respects at the end of the day. I just sometimes wish we had something that didn’t handle like :poop:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:38 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:01 pm

True, I’d rather have the Wrangler in most respects at the end of the day. I just sometimes wish we had something that didn’t handle like :poop:
You need to put that Wrang through its paces. Come to Uwharrie with Chad and I. We’re planning a camping/hike/off roading trip next April when they open the trails back up. I know you’re not the off road type…. But no time like the present
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:57 pm Those tires on the bloated golf are insane. Meanwhile the fake truck is on the appropriate mall spec
Mall spec is needed for efficiency, sadly. It's fitting for a fake truck though.
max225

Speaking of mall spec... I Think this is the best throwaway SUV that is supremely practical. And it doesn't come with the minivan styling...
14 cupholders... :wtf:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:21 pm

Speaking of mall spec... I Think this is the best throwaway SUV that is supremely practical. And it doesn't come with the minivan styling...
I guess if looks matter that much.
The regular spec pilot comes with pretty beefy looking 5 spoke wheels though. Just needs beefier tires to have that same look. Nobody is off roading these.

But yeah the pilot overall is a solid larger family pick that wouldn’t have me running to commit seppuku.

But then you have the Honda dealership experience to deal with as you own said vehicle. And the expert recommended $400 service to clean out your dangerously dirty air filter box.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Why don't you buy one?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:21 pm

Why don't you buy one?
Because I haven’t fully given up on life
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:57 pm

I guess if looks matter that much.
The regular spec pilot comes with pretty beefy looking 5 spoke wheels though. Just needs beefier tires to have that same look. Nobody is off roading these.

But yeah the pilot overall is a solid larger family pick that wouldn’t have me running to commit seppuku.

But then you have the Honda dealership experience to deal with as you own said vehicle. And the expert recommended $400 service to clean out your dangerously dirty air filter box.
I happen to have a really excellent Honda service department nearby. But the sales staff at that dealer is atrocious. It seems to vary greatly and be the luck of the draw.

Yea no one cares about the off road... But you can get this trim with bronze wheels and it looks really nice for what it is. I see it as a styling package that makes it look less than a minivan that it is.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:38 pm

You need to put that Wrang through its paces. Come to Uwharrie with Chad and I. We’re planning a camping/hike/off roading trip next April when they open the trails back up. I know you’re not the off road type…. But no time like the present
I think it would be a blast but probably won't happen. Taking :tits: car to go camping and drive it in the woods/possibly damaging it while leaving her carless at home seems like a tough sell. I bet I could convince her to take it off road somewhere though, we both had a blast driving it in the dunes and stuff in the northern Outer Banks and took it on some trails in the west when we drove cross country (pretty tame but fun).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nothing wrong with a Pilot at all as a wife vehicle but if that was my primary car I'd still say it's 100% seppuku spec.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:03 pm Nothing wrong with a Pilot at all as a wife vehicle but if that was my primary car I'd still say it's 100% seppuku spec.
Yeah I agree. A mostly uninteresting family hauler alternative to a Highlander. The ownership experience would likely be uninteresting as well. Which is kind of desirable in something like this IMO.

I like the new Mazda CX90 PHEV as well. Not sure if they tried too hard to be sporty though.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:03 pm Nothing wrong with a Pilot at all as a wife vehicle but if that was my primary car I'd still say it's 100% seppuku spec.
Yeah I agree. A mostly uninteresting family hauler alternative to a Highlander. The ownership experience would likely be uninteresting as well. Which is kind of desirable in something like this IMO.

I like the new Mazda CX90 PHEV as well. Not sure if they tried too hard to be sporty though.
My friend in PA has one. A premium plus PHEV and after 1500mi he and his wife are fawning over it.

Here's his post on TCL

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/mazda- ... w.9546461/
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:57 pm

My friend in PA has one. A premium plus PHEV and after 1500mi he and his wife are fawning over it.

Here's his post on TCL

Dude did a great write up. And I think he would fit in here well.

That said over 60 large for a Mazda full of unobtanium one off electronics and engineering that will be 5k in a few years is financial suicide no matter how much “value” it presents over something else that might bear a luxury badge.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Subaru ascent comes with 19 cupholders and they're designed specifically for the US market built in indiana.

The last pilot was pretty much like an oddyssey
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I know that I'm not the only one here who secretly loves minivans. I'd get one in a heartbeat if they weren't expensive and heavier on gas then my hybrid Camry. The equivalent engine configuration in a new Sienna commands almost twice the price. :luda:

I definitely have given up on cars, not so much life :doe: , but the available van cargo space is 5.5/7
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:33 pm I know that I'm not the only one here who secretly loves minivans. I'd get one in a heartbeat if they weren't expensive and heavier on gas then my hybrid Camry. The equivalent engine configuration in a new Sienna commands almost twice the price. :luda:

I definitely have given up on cars, not so much life :doe: , but the available van cargo space is 5.5/7
I think it's well documented that I'm a :minivan: fan, although much like the Pilot, it's just as seppuku inducing. I love a tool that does a job perfectly and appreciate that they're more practical than the equivalent SUVs for the intended use. I could see us getting one if we ever needed a family hauler, :tits: isn't super against but I don't think she'd go for the price tag.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:57 pm

Here's his post on TCL

Get this guy over to DFD?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:32 am
Tar wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:33 pm I know that I'm not the only one here who secretly loves minivans. I'd get one in a heartbeat if they weren't expensive and heavier on gas then my hybrid Camry. The equivalent engine configuration in a new Sienna commands almost twice the price. :luda:

I think it's well documented that I'm a :minivan: fan, although much like the Pilot, it's just as seppuku inducing. I love a tool that does a job perfectly and appreciate that they're more practical than the equivalent SUVs for the intended use. I could see us getting one if we ever needed a family hauler, :tits: isn't super against but I don't think she'd go for the price tag.
I agree with :dat: , but I'm weirdly turned on by their ugliness. No, I don't think I would sepuku if owning and operating a :minivan:

I'd probably add stickers for scene points and love that swizz. Price :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:32 am

I agree with :dat: , but I'm weirdly turned on by their ugliness. No, I don't think I would sepuku if owning and operating a :minivan:

I mean, it's no more/less seppuku than a Pilot, Highlander, etc. Just not really my thing, I don't care for these large vehicles unless I'm actually hauling shit.

Not like it really matters, I barely drive my own car and most of my miles are accrued in rentals.

By the way, after a week all over NJ and NYC in a Toyota Crown... :iono: It's a pretty nice car but I barely remember it four days later, just not really interesting. Good Avalon if that's your thing. I don't really have enough positive or negative to write a review. It's a very comfortable and effective car. The adaptive cruise worked pretty well/better than average and was appreciated in Lincoln Tunnel traffic where it took an hour to go five miles from Secaucus to Midtown. Lane keep was trash like every other car's.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:41 am
Tar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:36 am

I mean, it's no more/less seppuku than a Pilot, Highlander, etc. Just not really my thing, I don't care for these large vehicles unless I'm actually hauling shit.

Not like it really matters, I barely drive my own car and most of my miles are accrued in rentals.

By the way, after a week all over NJ and NYC in a Toyota Crown... :iono: It's a pretty nice car but I barely remember it four days later, just not really interesting. Good Avalon if that's your thing. I don't really have enough positive or negative to write a review. It's a very comfortable and effective car. The adaptive cruise worked pretty well/better than average and was appreciated in Lincoln Tunnel traffic where it took an hour to go five miles from Secaucus to Midtown. Lane keep was trash like every other car's.
Oh right, I forgot to ask about that rental! Super random vehicle to have available, but I'm glad you could try it for a few days.

Nothing memorable about the Camry either, but it has some kind of inner peace offering that I didn't experience with the :gorf: and :poorvette: . Because it's so vanilla and utilitarian, the inevitable beatings that my cars take don't hurt the feelz. It allows me to focus more on other shit slung my way.

The only way I'd see myself with a fun car again is down the road when finances allow, and I have the time to truly enjoy them. A GR86 or other slow fast car are cool, so are newer Gen corvettes, but I'm afraid that I'll be a grey/no haired old guy that people would label as a midlife crisis example. Meh, May still :doit: doe.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My van-love is probably the same mental disorder experienced by some pickup truck buyers. Bigger is better, for when that space is occasionally (rarely) needed.