IX-Lemon Life.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:37 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:18 am I'm sure you aren't willing to give CHYNA a try but the EX90 starting price was just released. $78k which seems :notbad:

Not sure I'd take one over a Rivian though. The base R1S IMO is still king under 90-100k
That is pretty good looking.

Agreed on the R1S :doe: , is that a consideration here or are you not into the 'start up' situation? I see them all the time now, they're really making waves.

Also the Cyber :truk: is 'coming' :lolol:
I love the r1s. Especially after having sat in the one my co worker got. Pretty sure I raved about it somewhere here also. The issue is the company… and possibly buying a 100k paperweight. I’d much prefer to lease it… but they don’t offer leases on the S yet. Only the T.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:07 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:37 am

That is pretty good looking.

Agreed on the R1S :doe: , is that a consideration here or are you not into the 'start up' situation? I see them all the time now, they're really making waves.

Also the Cyber :truk: is 'coming' :lolol:
I love the r1s. Especially after having sat in the one my co worker got. Pretty sure I raved about it somewhere here also. The issue is the company… and possibly buying a 100k paperweight. I’d much prefer to lease it… but they don’t offer leases on the S yet. Only the T.
They are cool looking electric vehicles and that phrase does NOT roll off my tongue very often.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Turn in day is today... T minus 3 hrs. I am having a really tough time deciding what to do next mainly because of the state of the automotive market at the moment.
New cars are readily available now for almost anything... and the :dill: s are there.

Car market thoughts:
Used cars are now rapidly depreciating... Which is new. But generally still way too expensive. I.E 70-90% of msrp for a 3 year old car. HOWEVER... that is changing weekly... new car lower pricing and general availability is really dragging down the used market. So buying anything TODAY seems rather foolish. Unless of course it is another lease. Or another NEW car...

Personal car thoughts:
I am currently contemplating the following still. What I am trying to solve for is... get a biggish "fun" car for the family that will either replace the I4 or the Taco. I don't think I want to have 3 vehicles. As the costs of that endeavor make no sense.

1. Swap I4 for IX. But I am unwilling to pay any money for the swap ... My buyout is 41.5K and I doubt the :dillerman: will pay it off for that amount. This is likely the most preferable scenario and I'd get to keep the truck...

2. Defender of sorts: JLR just revamped the entire defender line up... it's really confusing... It used to be base<S<SE<X dynamic<X<V8. Each trim had unique engines... more or less. Now you can get the I6 in the S trim... and the V8 in the SE trim effectively cutting the price of a V8 defender by 20k. :wtf: However... then you get the unpainted bottom trim which is fugly IMO. I don't know if it makes sense to buy a V8 given that the mid tier 400hp engine seems completely fine for what I'd want... and you can't get a 3rd row with the V8 either.

3. Range Rover Sport: I like these... but like with the Defender you have to get Sport dynamic trim in order to get the bottom of the car painted... otherwise it just looks like a cheap cross over IMO. This is also +10k over a Defender... which is not insignificant

4. Big boy Range Rover: These can be had for around 115k... but given that in 3 years it'll be 60... I am having a tough time with that sort of depreciation curve.

5. E450 Wagon: It may not provide much extra space over the I4, and given that it is a "boring" car it just makes the whole purchase... :butwhy:

6. Cybertruck ?: One of my friends has a reservation that dates back to 2019... and he's too broke to get one... I am considering it, but I also don't think this thing is "REAL" at this point... it has taken 5 years to just show the damn prototypes that were "delivered" to friends and family... It seems like it won't be here until 2025.

7. G wagen... Eh... I feel too poor to waste 220k post tax on something that will likely depreciate by 20k a year for the next decade.

8. New LandCruiser... TBD on when it actually starts shipping... and toyota won't let you spec shit... and dealer markup.. and first model year blues... A lot of questions but it fits the bill.

9. New Lexus GX550 same issues as above ... and likely just a boring car to drive.

10. Chevy Tahoe/Escalade are wild cards... the new upgrades for the 25 model year are nice. But the domestic boring style etc is hard to shake off.

11. Rivian... well... 100k for a company that may go poof tomorrow seems a bit weird to spend money on.

So overall a whole lotta :( yes I'd like to have my cake and eat it too...
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

12. do nothing
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Rivian will still be around by the time PLAC juices start flowing through your veins again.

Too bad Acura F'D up the trans programming on the MDX Type S. I'm constantly hearing about the seats and suspension being the best of any SUV under $100k, and the shawd would be fun for the occasional twisty road.

But that bunk trans

Blue interiors will always be hot

Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Cayenne?
max225

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:44 pm Rivian will still be around by the time PLAC juices start flowing through your veins again.

Too bad Acura F'D up the trans programming on the MDX Type S. I'm constantly hearing about the seats and suspension being the best of any SUV under $100k, and the shawd would be fun for the occasional twisty road.

But that bunk trans

This wasn’t really on my list yet. Acura seems kind of a dead brand ? No?
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:46 pmCayenne?
Thought about it … but they are all kind of either too expensive or too old …for what it is
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:44 pm Rivian will still be around by the time PLAC juices start flowing through your veins again.

But that bunk trans

I don't really understand what a dead brand is. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon.

But for the price other options have way more street cred.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:00 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:12 pm

I don't really understand what a dead brand is. I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon.

Buick
GMC
Mitsubishi
Acura
Infiniti
Chrysler

They all make some sort of knock of versions of a main stream car or are just dying (Mitsubishi, Chrysler)
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:17 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:00 pm

Buick
GMC
Mitsubishi
Acura
Infiniti
Chrysler

They all make some sort of knock of versions of a main stream car or are just dying (Mitsubishi, Chrysler)
:howdareu:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

So I am still open to suggestions in case I missed something. I did give this quite a bit of thought and I am just not currently loving anything....

A slightly used Tahoe/Caddy/Jewcon would be nice... but they are stupid money and seem cheaper NEW... Which is also insane. I also hear that Escalades still go above sticker on the regular.
max225

Cadillac is also charging $1500 for their "on star" and "connected services" which also REQUIRES AS SUBSCRIPTION. What kind of crock of shit is that?
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:49 pm So I am still open to suggestions in case I missed something. I did give this quite a bit of thought and I am just not currently loving anything....

A slightly used Tahoe/Caddy/Jewcon would be nice... but they are stupid money and seem cheaper NEW... Which is also insane. I also hear that Escalades still go above sticker on the regular.
Dude the addition of crotchfruit to your eternal internal struggle between cool things and how much they cost.........you've got issues.

Either get the Defender, a vehicle every single person on this forum acknowledges as desirable, including yourself............or strap a car seat in your in laws pizza delivery truck and call it a day.
Desertbreh

Also, why exactly do you NEED an SUV payment? You don't, until your kid gets older. Leave a seat in the Taco, leave a seat in the Electric Bimmer, and enjoy your life, to the extent currently possible.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:41 pm Also, why exactly do you NEED an SUV payment? You don't, until your kid gets older. Leave a seat in the Taco, leave a seat in the Electric Bimmer, and enjoy your life, to the extent currently possible.
There would be no payment, on anything but another IX.

Can a man enjoy life here? lol
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:41 pm Also, why exactly do you NEED an SUV payment? You don't, until your kid gets older. Leave a seat in the Taco, leave a seat in the Electric Bimmer, and enjoy your life, to the extent currently possible.

A question you should ask yourself. What vehicle, on your lenghthy list, would be worth the payment to you?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:39 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:00 pm

A question you should ask yourself. What vehicle, on your lenghthy list, would be worth the payment to you?
If I was certain I would probably already buy one…

I want the big boy RR the most. But it costs 3k a month
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat:

Champagne tastes on a self imposed beer budget is tough.

Which vehicle would even go to make room for this, the 🌮 or the I4? Seems like the I4 you’re stuck with for the lease, EVs depreciate like rocks.

I’d give the Acura a test drive, people do talk those up quite a bit. It’s not LR but it’s also not Buick, IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Also GMC is the weirdest brand ever on a side note… like why does it exist when they don’t make a single vehicle that isn’t 100% a badge engineered Chevy and never have for that matter?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Recently their dealers are maybe better? Paired with Buick or Cadillac you might have a different crowd to be associated with.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I also love the X7, at least pre facelift. Huge cargo area if you aren't using the rear seats, but also very feature rich back there if you have to stick adults in back as well. Things like a sunroof and it's own climate zone with controls.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:50 pm Also GMC is the weirdest brand ever on a side note… like why does it exist when they don’t make a single vehicle that isn’t 100% a badge engineered Chevy and never have for that matter?
GMC is just their luxury trim. They’ve never really been a different “brand”, just styling differences. I think the new gmc trucks share the same drivetrains, but as far as body is concerned. I think they only share doors with the Silverado. Wild that they have different body panels for those two models.

Kinda like if you wanted a fancy accord, get an Acura TLX
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:49 pm
:dat:

Champagne tastes on a self imposed beer budget is tough.

Which vehicle would even go to make room for this, the 🌮 or the I4? Seems like the I4 you’re stuck with for the lease, EVs depreciate like rocks.

I’d give the Acura a test drive, people do talk those up quite a bit. It’s not LR but it’s also not Buick, IMO.
Per my earlier war and peace post :
IX would replace the i4. And taco would be kept … or … the many other vehicles would replace the taco, as it has nearly $50k parked and not used anyways