Gberg's Alpo Gorf with a bit of Plac Profit

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:09 pm I had put one of those beefy skid plates from some Canadian company on my GTI back in the day. Osiris or some name like that.
Were you lowered? I never had any scraping issues but my 2 GTI’s and the :lemon: GoRf didn’t have full coverage belly pans so I thought it was noteworthy.

I looked at other C&B auctions for R’s and I didn’t see any other full coverage belly pan.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:32 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:09 pm I had put one of those beefy skid plates from some Canadian company on my GTI back in the day. Osiris or some name like that.
Were you lowered? I never had any scraping issues but my 2 GTI’s and the :lemon: GoRf didn’t have full coverage belly pans so I thought it was noteworthy.

I looked at other C&B auctions for R’s and I didn’t see any other full coverage belly pan.
Yep. Knew I was going to when I got the car too, so the skid plate and the diesel geek shifter were the first two mods I did.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:13 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:59 pm

Yeah I messaged them to change it.

Usual belly pan on most GTI’s and R’s: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-vol ... q0825235a/

Pan I actually have: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-vol ... q0825236c/

Alltrack skid plate: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-vol ... 0825902kt/
This seems pretty minor.
:dat: don’t think anyone would even notice or care.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:13 pm Oh and the worst thing about the c5 was always the front overhang catching on every single incline. It was insane
:dat: 100%. I do miss the Corvette sometimes though. Mine was really reliable, the only issues were due to tracking it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:48 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:32 pm

Yep. Knew I was going to when I got the car too, so the skid plate and the diesel geek shifter were the first two mods I did.
I’m going to miss the diesel geek the most. Can’t believe it took me over 10 years to buy one.

I drove my brother's H Elantra N over the weekend and even that shifter felt :flaccid:
SAWCE

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:44 am

I’m going to miss the diesel geek the most. Can’t believe it took me over 10 years to buy one.

I drove my brother's H Elantra N over the weekend and even that shifter felt :flaccid:
It’s an amazing feeling. I was so used to how mine felt that’d I’d often forget about it. Then one day I ran into an old buddy from HS who happened to have a K04 MKV GTI and he wanted me to try it. Stock shifter felt so loose and sloppy. Got back in mine and immediately noticed the tighter more mechanical feeling that the DG shifter had given.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

You are in for a world of hurt with a BMW shifter... worst in the industry I'd say. Hopefully there's a simple aftermarket option to improve if it ends up bothering you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I will say the Supra manual felt pretty good, so there's hope.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:51 pm I will say the Supra manual felt pretty good, so there's hope.
Not sure how the manual in supra is pretty good and rest of bmw is "worst in biz"... I wonder what they did differently it's essentially a reskinned M2.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:51 pm I will say the Supra manual felt pretty good, so there's hope.
Not sure how the manual in supra is pretty good and rest of bmw is "worst in biz"... I wonder what they did differently it's essentially a reskinned M2.
To be fair M cars may have some special sauce that more pedestrian BMWs don't, but I've driven quite a few generations of BMWs with manuals and they all have that rubbery BMW feel, which is quite well documented by auto journalists as well. Supra had a much more 'Japanese car' shifter feel, which was also confirmed by another friend who is an E46 M3 owner and also had a last gen M2 Comp.

Reportedly Toyota made some changes to the shifter while the trans is indeed the same. It's no different than a DeiselGeek feeling way better than a regular MK6/7, in which shifter feel was pretty average IMO.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:51 pm

You are in for a world of hurt with a BMW shifter... worst in the industry I'd say. Hopefully there's a simple aftermarket option to improve if it ends up bothering you.
I know. :( It was the worst part about it when I drove it. I don't understand all the youtubers saying how great the shifter was unless it was just the M3 I drove that was bad. It was very loose and felt like it was connected to nothing but it is what it is. I still think I'll prefer the M3 over a CT4VBW long term.

Auto solutions seems to be a popular for other models and I think they just released their first batch of shifters for the G80
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:03 pm

To be fair M cars may have some special sauce that more pedestrian BMWs don't, but I've driven quite a few generations of BMWs with manuals and they all have that rubbery BMW feel, which is quite well documented by auto journalists as well. Supra had a much more 'Japanese car' shifter feel, which was also confirmed by another friend who is an E46 M3 owner and also had a last gen M2 Comp.

Reportedly Toyota made some changes to the shifter while the trans is indeed the same. It's no different than a DeiselGeek feeling way better than a regular MK6/7, in which shifter feel was pretty average IMO.
It'd be nice if the toyota shifter linkage is plug n play on the S58.
max225

I never minded the golf/Rs... I thought BMW was decent as was pooorsche. I hated my C5 shifter (hated going into first sometimes) and my E46 shifter/trans was shit too.. and it had issues going into 1st cold etc... Something that doesn't exist on my tacoma it works flawlessly with donkey cart throws. Hype R was my fav

HypeR<BRZ/RX8<GOLF/R etc<Modern BMW<Tacoma<<<<<<<<<Gladiator<<<<E46M3<<<C5<<<<1980s celica<<<ford ranger with 200k miles.

But shifter feel seems to be like colors... personal preference plays a huge part.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:21 pm I never minded the golf/Rs... I thought BMW was decent as was pooorsche. I hated my C5 shifter (hated going into first sometimes) and my E46 shifter/trans was shit too.. and it had issues going into 1st cold etc... Something that doesn't exist on my tacoma it works flawlessly with donkey cart throws. Hype R was my fav

HypeR<BRZ/RX8<GOLF/R etc<Modern BMW<Tacoma<<<<<<<<<Gladiator<<<<E46M3<<<C5<<<<1980s celica<<<ford ranger with 200k miles.

But shifter feel seems to be like colors... personal preference plays a huge part.
I agree with most of this although I never got the hate for the C5, it was a lot better than my 328i and even a bit better than my GTI. I do prefer a more mechanical feel though, C5 was certainly more effort to move.

Lots of subjectivity but it seems pretty unanimous that Hondas, Miatas, 86s, other Japanese sporty cars are good.

I love shifting in a truck like a Taco but it's a very different kind of fun/experience.

One I don't agree with the mainstream on is Porsche, the two I've driven were pretty shit IMO. They were also pretty high mileage Turos though, so I will withhold judgement. Fiat 500 is also down there among the absolute worse, def lesser than a basic 3 series, but also 1/4 the price.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:11 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:21 pm I never minded the golf/Rs... I thought BMW was decent as was pooorsche. I hated my C5 shifter (hated going into first sometimes) and my E46 shifter/trans was shit too.. and it had issues going into 1st cold etc... Something that doesn't exist on my tacoma it works flawlessly with donkey cart throws. Hype R was my fav

I agree with most of this although I never got the hate for the C5, it was a lot better than my 328i and even a bit better than my GTI. I do prefer a more mechanical feel though, C5 was certainly more effort to move.

Lots of subjectivity but it seems pretty unanimous that Hondas, Miatas, 86s, other Japanese sporty cars are good.

I love shifting in a truck like a Taco but it's a very different kind of fun/experience.

One I don't agree with the mainstream on is Porsche, the two I've driven were pretty shit IMO. They were also pretty high mileage Turos though, so I will withhold judgement. Fiat 500 is also down there among the absolute worse, def lesser than a basic 3 series, but also 1/4 the price.
I have not driven a manual Porsche that had a good shifter.
I think the GTI felt ok. Didn’t feel like it was connected to anything but was at least smooth.

I dunno. I’m bullish on automatics anymore so you should probably just ignore my opinions 😀
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

IIRC when I was at Toyota and this was in development, Toyota (Under GAZOO) took a ZF manual trans they used in the Euro market 2.0L Z4, developed a new bell housing and clutch/pressure plate and shift linkage.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:40 pm

IIRC when I was at Toyota and this was in development, Toyota (Under GAZOO) took a ZF manual trans they used in the Euro market 2.0L Z4, developed a new bell housing and clutch/pressure plate and shift linkage.
So that's a no on whether or not the linkage can be dropped into a G80. :(
SAWCE

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:40 pm

GAZOO
Bless you.
max225

31k seems solid already. I think you’ll get a pretty penny.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:50 pm 31k seems solid already. I think you’ll get a pretty penny.
I certainly hope so. It’s over 3,700 views already.

Didn’t see this on the schedule but there’s another ship at port named Morning Catherine that’s heading to Halifax and then due in NYC on November 20th. Hopefully I’m on that one but I likely won’t know until next week.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

$31K with four days to go is pretty epic. I would've expected it to sit around 20 until the last day, that seems like what typically happens.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Yeah i felt like with the :turboyaris: it feels as good as almost as a regular golf and pretty much most euro econoboxes.

Also that friend didn't he (or she) used to be on this forum?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:45 am

Yeah i felt like with the :turboyaris: it feels as good as almost as a regular golf and pretty much most euro econoboxes.

Also that friend didn't he (or she) used to be on this forum?
:dat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:39 am $31K with four days to go is pretty epic. I would've expected it to sit around 20 until the last day, that seems like what typically happens.
Yep. That's probably more than what the :dillerman: would offer me too. They offered $33k 6 months ago so no way I get close to that from them now. They'd also turn around and list it for $40K+.

I'm glad it will likely go to another enthusiast instead of sitting on the :dillerman: lot.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:39 am $31K with four days to go is pretty epic. I would've expected it to sit around 20 until the last day, that seems like what typically happens.
Yea it seems to have a few interested parties based on comments.

I think it’s also a very desirable spec. Short of the special Spectrum ones that came out in the last year of 7.5. THIS is the spec to get. Low miles, warranty, an owner that gave a fk… and most importantly no modzzzzzz, which so many do and ruin the cars… no tune, no black butthole, no suspension shit, no fugly wheels, no yellow fogzzz… it should bring top dollar.

I’m going to go with a 37k guestimate. Which imo is really good and almost no depreciation