Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 pm We were looking for tires on the T-reg, wife was cool with buying something badass that can stay on rain, snow, or shine. I think I might have gone a bit overboard, BFG K02s :facepalm: :lol:

They are really cool looking, but I'm a bit worried that the wife will think they're too loud.

I think they're :nice:
What you guys think, :fullretard: or :whocares: ?
They look awesome. If they (sadly) end up being too much for :tits: the Falken Wildpeak and Cooper Discoverer are great alternatives in the middle ground.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Tar wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 pm We were looking for tires on the T-reg, wife was cool with buying something badass that can stay on rain, snow, or shine. I think I might have gone a bit overboard, BFG K02s :facepalm: :lol:

They are really cool looking, but I'm a bit worried that the wife will think they're too loud.

yea but when they kick ass in the snow while everyone else is slipping around like jerks she will deal with the little bit of extra noise 40% of the year
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That is (in a good way) surprising that the T-Reg has been such a great family vehicle. Sadly, you couldn't touch anything like that in today's market for less than like $70K so hanging on seems like the right move. I actually loved the service experience at my VW dealer as well. The lady who sold me my GTI had owned a few and currently drove a GLI, she was a total V-dub enthusiast and was all stoked that a youngster like me wanted the manual.

Service wise my guy had a K04 GTI and they actually performed my Unitronic tune at the dealer and promised to honor the warranty, which I never needed in 40K miles of ownership. Other than the free oil changes and such, I never needed anything else.

Maybe VW dealers are actually less bad than many.

I have 4K miles on the 86 now, I changed the oil at home at 1,200, I think I'll actually try out my local 'yota spot in the coming weeks for the free oil change included in the first two years of ownership :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:56 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 pm

Oh, just realized the ones you posed have the cladding removed.. that’s nice that you can do that. Much cleaner look imo.
It's just stuck on the fenders. The bumpers and side skirts however would need to be replaced completely or painted. It's one of those things where you have to fully commit to either or.
:themoreyouknow: I thought painting over the cladding was the way, nice that it can basically be converted to the Opel version. I guess there isn't hope of removing and detailing the areas? I have some sort of Elmers goo gone product that has successfully removed the residue of :dillerman: glued on badging on all the cars I've owned. The bottle must be from when I bought my :mk6: in 2011 and still worked fine on the GR86.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:01 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:56 am

It's just stuck on the fenders. The bumpers and side skirts however would need to be replaced completely or painted. It's one of those things where you have to fully commit to either or.
:themoreyouknow: I thought painting over the cladding was the way, nice that it can basically be converted to the Opel version. I guess there isn't hope of removing and detailing the areas? I have some sort of Elmers goo gone product that has successfully removed the residue of :dillerman: glued on badging on all the cars I've owned. The bottle must be from when I bought my :mk6: in 2011 and still worked fine on the GR86.
The bumpers have recessed area with holes for body clips. You could use body filler and repaint those if you wanted.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I have had sets that are silent, and sets that are NOT silent. It's a good tire though. It drives well on road, even at higher speeds, and the wear has always been excellent. If you get a loud set crank the stereo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Beefy tires are beefy. Curious if mpg took a hit or not.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:56 am Beefy tires are beefy. Curious if mpg took a hit or not.
#metoo

Usually 10-15% hit for most on the taco forum
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Thanks folks, wife says the truck sounds like an airplane on the freeway lol.. she will try them for a couple more days, and if she doesn't like them I'll just take it on the chin and sell them gently used.

We don't care about MPGs on this rig. It's already an abysmal 17 avg. It doesn't go far daily. They look really great though, I'll miss them when they're gone 😂
max225

Wow the wrx is slow af
max225

My buddy just picked up a Q5 lease … they had 12k on the hood :mindblown: still $520 a month after 5500 down… :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That feels like a disgustingly large down payment on a lease, seems like that kind of defeats the purpose?
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:32 pm That feels like a disgustingly large down payment on a lease, seems like that kind of defeats the purpose?
:wat: ? It’s a 55k msrp vehicle. Less than 10% down on a lease seems completely fine.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Whale, it looks like I might have a buyer for the tires and wheels together. I can recoupe 100% of the tire cost if I sell the factory wheels with it for $400/set.

That puts the winter set back on the T-reg, they are a gloss black that Nicole kind of likes better esthetically.

We are still working out the deal, buddy countered $2000 even and I'm pushing back. The dude has some R-line version with 20" ramz, so I know he wants out on that configuration.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

We’re gonna go down to a single car household for a bit.

Finally got quotes for our landscaping project, to the tune of $35k. So I’ll offload the Elantra and we’ll just share Michelle’s cx-5 to help pay for that. Should lower our monthly car insurance payment as well, so I’ll stack that money saved towards buying another car in the future. I only drive to the gym and to get groceries, and gym is down to 3x a week, so it should be pretty easy for us to work out. She goes to her office Monday and Friday, so I’ll move my workout days to Tu, Th, Sa so we don’t have any overlap.

Carvana offered the best offer at $12.3k. I put it into Kbb for their cash offer and that info got fielded to the local Hyundai diller. They called me and said they’d come in aggressively with trying to buy it, so I told them my carvana offer and said they’d have to beat that and the guy said it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll get it cleaned up and bring it to them to appraise on Wednesday and if they don’t take it for $12.5-13k I’ll go to carvana.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:06 pm We’re gonna go down to a single car household for a bit.

Finally got quotes for our landscaping project, to the tune of $35k. So I’ll offload the Elantra and we’ll just share Michelle’s cx-5 to help pay for that. Should lower our monthly car insurance payment as well, so I’ll stack that money saved towards buying another car in the future. I only drive to the gym and to get groceries, and gym is down to 3x a week, so it should be pretty easy for us to work out. She goes to her office Monday and Friday, so I’ll move my workout days to Tu, Th, Sa so we don’t have any overlap.

Carvana offered the best offer at $12.3k. I put it into Kbb for their cash offer and that info got fielded to the local Hyundai diller. They called me and said they’d come in aggressively with trying to buy it, so I told them my carvana offer and said they’d have to beat that and the guy said it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll get it cleaned up and bring it to them to appraise on Wednesday and if they don’t take it for $12.5-13k I’ll go to carvana.
How much did you pay for that nasty bitch?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:33 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:06 pm We’re gonna go down to a single car household for a bit.

Right about $12.5k.. I think my OTD price was $14k with tax, title, and registration.. so free driving for the last 2.5 years.
max225

Ooof 1 car household is rough :doe:

Can’t complain about the :math: just make sure you fully vet what you’re giving up.

I have done 2 months in the tsx also, but then I couldn’t do it anymore … it’s just too :scrooge: and I began to question life
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:59 pm

Can’t complain about the :math: just make sure you fully vet what you’re giving up.

I have done 2 months in the tsx also, but then I couldn’t do it anymore … it’s just too :scrooge: and I began to question life
We’ve been test running it by not driving my car the last week and it’s not too bad. I’m sure there will be instances where we’ll wish we had two, but with both of us working primarily from home (me full time, her probably 85%) it should be livable for at least a few months, and at that point if it’s too much of a pain in the ass I’ll grab a little shit box to get back and forth to the gym in while we continue to replenish our cash stores.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:33 pm

Right about $12.5k.. I think my OTD price was $14k with tax, title, and registration.. so free driving for the last 2.5 years.
That is insane.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:01 pm

That is insane.
Yea there is no free lunch though. Buying anything right now is extra 50% over 3 years ago… so while you make out well on the sale you’re stuck buying in much higher … nothing decent under 20k out there
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:59 pm

We drive to the same office and we never take one car because the day we do, one person inevitably has multiple obligations that make things difficult. There are many things I can pare down before I would consider sharing a car. You guys are young though, true wub, need to make compromise to achieve financial goals, whadda whadda. Makes sense.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:03 pm

That is insane.
Yea there is no free lunch though. Buying anything right now is extra 50% over 3 years ago… so while you make out well on the sale you’re stuck buying in much higher … nothing decent under 20k out there
Hence the reason I am still :plac: free for quite some time.
SAWCE

That is insane.
At one point I had a Carmax offer for $18,888.. should have jumped on that.. but as max pointed out, pricing on everything else was still :fullretard: so any profit would have been lost on replacing it with anything. We were in SD at the time and I was gymming 6x a week and she was going to the office full time.

We’ll hopefully be comfortable enough with a single car that we can wait out whatever the market is doing and not need to worry about buying anything until prices come down a bit.