General Economic chit chat/updates.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Today my cousin got laid off in New York, he has been in investment banking for 10 years. Never been unemployed

Yesterday a friend got laid off from a manufacturing facility that does high precision O rings here in Cali …

:thisisfine:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:48 pm Today my cousin got laid off in New York, he has been in investment banking for 10 years. Never been unemployed

Yesterday a friend got laid off from a manufacturing facility that does high precision O rings here in Cali …

Sorry bro, that sounds nerve racking. Things continue to sound worse from month to month.

There are so many vehicle order cancelations that I could see newly built cars stack the overflow parking for the first time in years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Publix in FL pricing is heinous, and way out of line with actual cost inflation. :disgust:
max225

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:54 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:48 pm Today my cousin got laid off in New York, he has been in investment banking for 10 years. Never been unemployed

Sorry bro, that sounds nerve racking. Things continue to sound worse from month to month.

There are so many vehicle order cancelations that I could see newly built cars stack the overflow parking for the first time in years.
And another friend of mine at Facebook got canned today … Jesus 3 people in 1 week in my direct friend/family circle
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:50 am Publix in FL pricing is heinous, and way out of line with actual cost inflation. :disgust:
That's where the rich people shop. Welcome to the swamp.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:55 am

And another friend of mine at Facebook got canned today … Jesus 3 people in 1 week in my direct friend/family circle
Thats disgusting. Hang tight.

In my little world, I wish I could clone myself, I am very busy with work and its only accelerating.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My friend at Meta was spared. I guess there's a bunch of restructuring that will be taking place over his team and he doesn't know what that will look like yet, but I'm happy for him. His wife went part-time about a year ago to spend more time raising their two daughters, in large part afforded to them because of his salary at Meta. To lose that now would've been really painful for them.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:22 am
Tar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:50 am Publix in FL pricing is heinous, and way out of line with actual cost inflation. :disgust:
Yeah, it was just a bunch of olds in that place. Great bakery section, but if I were here any longer I'd be finding a cheaper alternative, even if it's more of a drive.

I'm kind of stoked to check out a few pawn shops with the kids this morning, maybe find a beater bass or something to keep at my dad's place. Weather is :megusta: today!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:30 am

Thats disgusting. Hang tight.

In my little world, I wish I could clone myself, I am very busy with work and its only accelerating.
I'm busy too, but dark clouds approaching.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:56 am

Yeah, it was just a bunch of olds in that place. Great bakery section, but if I were here any longer I'd be finding a cheaper alternative, even if it's more of a drive.

I'm kind of stoked to check out a few pawn shops with the kids this morning, maybe find a beater bass or something to keep at my dad's place. Weather is :megusta: today!
Which flavor of Florida Man are you visiting? We've got some rare clouds here today. Still sunny compared to up north :doe:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Publix is definitely the upper echelon of grocery stores in FL. The experience itself is what you pay for above all else: the staffing, customer service, quality of the generic/store brands, and cleanliness/environment.

My mom's fiancé works there and he makes $$$ as a manager
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Just realized that this is the OT econ thread, not the OT OT thread...

Everyone I know here is extra busy "doing more with less" waiting to be fired. Over the last 2 years, the wife has gone from having 5 employees down to now 1. She had no input in any of it and AFAIK there are no plans to replace any of them, so I expect her to be let go any time now. Why keep a manager to manage one person?
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:57 am Just realized that this is the OT econ thread, not the OT OT thread...

Everyone I know here is extra busy "doing more with less" waiting to be fired. Over the last 2 years, the wife has gone from having 5 employees down to now 1. She had no input in any of it and AFAIK there are no plans to replace any of them, so I expect her to be let go any time now. Why keep a manager to manage one person?
Well technically I am a department manager too, but the department has one employee: me.

But this org would be super, super boned if I left. I'm not an expert on some of this stuff I am looking at but its still awful, and if I can see it is this bad it must truly suck. I'm getting it whipped into 'acceptable' shape.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:30 am

Publix is definitely the upper echelon of grocery stores in FL. The experience itself is what you pay for above all else: the staffing, customer service, quality of the generic/store brands, and cleanliness/environment.

My mom's fiancé works there and he makes $$$ as a manager
:ohdang:
I know you had mentioned in the past (though not for a while, iirc) that your folks weren't getting along. Guess that escalated. Hope everyone's happy with the current situ. How do you feel about this, if you don't mind me asking...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am honestly astonished at how many people shop at the :waxer: /:fancy: grocery stores (Publix, Harris Teeter where I live and then Whole Paycheck and the like above that). It is quite literally 2X the price of say Aldi/Lidl/Walmart. Like Rudy mentioned, it is indeed a nicer experience but to the tune of thousands more per year to make 30 minutes a week fancier? I just can't wrap my head around it, many people with much lower incomes than I shop exclusively at those places.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sorry to hear it man. Woof.

Things are still looking OK here for now. It's interesting, I speak with/meet with 20ish of my customers/week, most of which are small businesses but some larger. I'd say about 70% are still reporting growth and that their biggest business challenge is finding people to work for them.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:37 am My friend at Meta was spared. I guess there's a bunch of restructuring that will be taking place over his team and he doesn't know what that will look like yet, but I'm happy for him. His wife went part-time about a year ago to spend more time raising their two daughters, in large part afforded to them because of his salary at Meta. To lose that now would've been really painful for them.
Is your friend on the technical side or business side? They did technical side this round... May will be business side.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:59 pm

Sorry to hear it man. Woof.

Things are still looking OK here for now. It's interesting, I speak with/meet with 20ish of my customers/week, most of which are small businesses but some larger. I'd say about 70% are still reporting growth and that their biggest business challenge is finding people to work for them.
What kind of field are they in? I currently don't know any businesses that aren't posting negative growth. Bizarre that there is a bit of a divergence depending on which lens one uses. But "tech" is always at the forefront.... we cut our ad budgets with places like FB etc over a year ago... and since then they have started to also decline.

The mortgage/RE businesses have still to tank... the golden "tech" parachutes floated people for 6-12 months... and that won't hit until june>dec this year, when those people can finally file for unemployment... which seems like when we will start to see "peak pain" IMO.

Jobs (white collar, in higher end companies) out here are gettin 1000s of applicants... yes that's not a typo. 1000s.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:25 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:37 am My friend at Meta was spared. I guess there's a bunch of restructuring that will be taking place over his team and he doesn't know what that will look like yet, but I'm happy for him. His wife went part-time about a year ago to spend more time raising their two daughters, in large part afforded to them because of his salary at Meta. To lose that now would've been really painful for them.
Is your friend on the technical side or business side? They did technical side this round... May will be business side.
He's a product manager for an e-commerce product that is/was pretty new. Given the younger & smaller nature of his particular product I figured the whole thing would be scrapped based on what I'd seen in articles talking about Meta's direction.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:25 pm

He's a product manager for an e-commerce product that is/was pretty new. Given the younger & smaller nature of his particular product I figured the whole thing would be scrapped based on what I'd seen in articles talking about Meta's direction.
Yea… my in laws wife is a pm there as well and is a fairly recent hire .. 11 months. I think if they are targeted that would be may …
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:58 pm
I am honestly astonished at how many people shop at the :waxer: /:fancy: grocery stores (Publix, Harris Teeter where I live and then Whole Paycheck and the like above that). It is quite literally 2X the price of say Aldi/Lidl/Walmart. Like Rudy mentioned, it is indeed a nicer experience but to the tune of thousands more per year to make 30 minutes a week fancier? I just can't wrap my head around it, many people with much lower incomes than I shop exclusively at those places.
Truth be told I'd have to go to like 5 different stores to get the :muah: version of everything I like at the best value, considering both price and quality. Ain't nobody got time for that. I elitist shop for veggies and meat, Costco for some things, and then there are a few areas where my inner redneckia is only accommodated by lowbrow stores.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I go to Publix sometimes for a fried chicken. It's cheaper than fast food at now $10, was $7 or $8 just 2 years ago. KFC and the like are all $20+ now. Otherwise if Aldi doesn't sell it then I don't need to eat it.
Last edited by Valkyrie on Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

delete. I hate mobile interfaces.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:58 pm

Truth be told I'd have to go to like 5 different stores to get the :muah: version of everything I like at the best value, considering both price and quality. Ain't nobody got time for that. I elitist shop for veggies and meat, Costco for some things, and then there are a few areas where my inner redneckia is only accommodated by lowbrow stores.
Costco carries wagyu beef …
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:36 pm I go to Publix sometimes for a fried chicken. It's cheaper than fast food at now $10, was $7 or $8 just 2 years ago. KFC and the like are all $20+ now. Otherwise if Aldi doesn't sell it then I don't need to eat it.
I live by the last sentence but :tits: sometimes prefers to be more :wasteful: and loves Costco.