Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:45 am
indeed, if anything they need to double down and do 150 basis pts
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:39 am

Those evil people that would do such things dont give a good god damn about your morality and would likely gladly oblige this deathwish.

Why would you not at least attempt to protect your family? You are trying to be a father - you will be a provider & protector. Why not use the best tools available for said purpose?
1. Maybe I'll feel differently if we have a kid, but no, I don't want to live in a world where killing people or even owning firearms is required for day-to-day life and am 100% unwilling to do so.

2. This is all nahgonnahappen territory anyway.

If I'm out guns blazin' in this scenario, I am 100% part of the problem, so why bother?
I get that, and I am not trying to make it into some debate about guns, but I do think that at some point your survival instincts will/should kick in and you will feel compelled to exhaust every effort possible to survive (it is literally in our DNA) before accepting fate/death.

Doesn't mean it has to be with a gun, but the gist is there. I am not looking to go out of my way to hurt/threaten anybody, but if it's between my family/myself and others, in a scenario where no institution of society can maintain some semblance of order, that's just an easy choice.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

My expectation in an economic doomsday scenario is to be part of a larger community of reasonable people doing whatever they can to help each other, not hunker in my bunker alone with "No Trespassing" signs and an elaborate series of traps placed like I'm in a Predator movie.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 am My expectation in an economic doomsday scenario is to be part of a larger community of reasonable people doing whatever they can to help each other, not hunker in my bunker alone with "No Trespassing" signs and an elaborate series of traps placed like I'm in a Predator movie.
Oh this is 100% a best case scenario. But, you’ll still have to be willing to do things you might not be comfortable with doing for the collective as it is.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
golftdibrad1

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 am My expectation in an economic doomsday scenario is to be part of a larger community of reasonable people doing whatever they can to help each other, not hunker in my bunker alone with "No Trespassing" signs and an elaborate series of traps placed like I'm in a Predator movie.
Mine as well, no one will get through it alone...we will have to work together.

But some people will have to defend the herd from the wolves.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hey are you guys thinking about investing in the stock market? Some crisis was averted and it looks like markets are moving up. I'm not at all interested in investing unless it's some ETF or something that tracks the entire S&P500. Would love to hear your opinions on the matter.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

We stopped buying anything except for broad index funds years ago and have not changed that plan. Buy more with every paycheck, don't try to time the market. We'll start selling in retirement, assuming that ever happens. Market performance will essentially determine retirement age.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:41 am We stopped buying anything except for broad index funds years ago and have not changed that plan. Buy more with every paycheck, don't try to time the market. We'll start selling in retirement, assuming that ever happens. Market performance will essentially determine retirement age.
Thanks Val, that's great advice. Things are pretty suppressed in the markets now I assume, I'm going to get make some moves shortly.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:41 am We stopped buying anything except for broad index funds years ago and have not changed that plan. Buy more with every paycheck, don't try to time the market. We'll start selling in retirement, assuming that ever happens. Market performance will essentially determine retirement age.
Same. Trying to time the market is a fools' errand for the vast majority of people. The one caveat I think I can get behind is when you look at ratios of asset classes. So, say the S&P to gold ratio is 15:1 at the low end and 50:1 at the high end, historically (I'm completely making up these ratios, BTW). When the ratio gets close to 50:1, that would be a good time to get out of stocks and buy gold. Will gold actually go up in pure dollar terms if stocks enter a bear market? Maybe? Maybe not. But the value of that gold you hold relative to the stock market will increase in value. As the ratio gets closer to 15:1, you would then sell all/most of your gold and go ham on stocks again. That's a sort of trade you only make a handful of times in your investing lifetime, but it has the potential to dramatically increase returns. Doing this sort of thing requires a decent amount of research, a lot of patience, and a portfolio outside of your retirement accounts most likely. It also requires being okay missing out on the frenzy in either asset class near the top.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

In other news, my college buddy who now works at Facebook thinks he's probably going to get the axe next month. He's in a division that's working on a newer/developing e-commerce type of product, and it's those kinds of projects that were supposedly going to be targeted by the layoffs.

Salesforce also announced it may pursue another round, so that's fun. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/salesfor ... 00252.html
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:33 am
Same. Trying to time the market is a fools' errand for the vast majority of people. The one caveat I think I can get behind is when you look at ratios of asset classes. So, say the S&P to gold ratio is 15:1 at the low end and 50:1 at the high end, historically (I'm completely making up these ratios, BTW). When the ratio gets close to 50:1, that would be a good time to get out of stocks and buy gold. Will gold actually go up in pure dollar terms if stocks enter a bear market? Maybe? Maybe not. But the value of that gold you hold relative to the stock market will increase in value. As the ratio gets closer to 15:1, you would then sell all/most of your gold and go ham on stocks again. That's a sort of trade you only make a handful of times in your investing lifetime, but it has the potential to dramatically increase returns. Doing this sort of thing requires a decent amount of research, a lot of patience, and a portfolio outside of your retirement accounts most likely. It also requires being okay missing out on the frenzy in either asset class near the top.
That's smart, those two asset classes have a very peculiar relationship. Both double every ten years (over a 50 year linear averaging), but seem to inverse directions. Betting that there are a lot of people doing that!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

We employ a pretty similar strategy. I guess we'll see how it goes in the long run. The way the world is now, I try to just be OK with whatever. Maybe someday I can quit the working shit, maybe not. I try to enjoy life now just in case.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:45 am
We employ a pretty similar strategy. I guess we'll see how it goes in the long run. The way the world is now, I try to just be OK with whatever. Maybe someday I can quit the working shit, maybe not. I try to enjoy life now just in case.
Pretty much the same for us, too. Seems to be working ok. Still got dat retirement goal in mind... :notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Used car market is pretty fucked right now. Prices are way too high for used vehicles across the board except for a few luxury vehicles that typically depreciate hard.

Any idea when it will implode? Are prices trending down now that loan rates are high?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am Used car market is pretty fucked right now. Prices are way too high for used vehicles across the board except for a few luxury vehicles that typically depreciate hard.

Any idea when it will implode? Are prices trending down now that loan rates are high?
Yea, new is the only way to go. And only on something like a Honda or Toyota. And prepare to hunt and shoot down mark ups.

I don’t expect things to contract for a bit… it’s like a slow motion train wreck at the moment. Used inventories are still low, while new (depending on brand) have recovered.

I’d say by summer we will see major discounts from FCA. And it’ll cause some others to follow.

Even now I am seeing almost 10k on the hood on the fca trucks and suvs. Butttt they inflated msrps so much they need 20k
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am Used car market is pretty fucked right now. Prices are way too high for used vehicles across the board except for a few luxury vehicles that typically depreciate hard.

Yea, new is the only way to go. And only on something like a Honda or Toyota. And prepare to hunt and shoot down mark ups.

I don’t expect things to contract for a bit… it’s like a slow motion train wreck at the moment. Used inventories are still low, while new (depending on brand) have recovered.

I’d say by summer we will see major discounts from FCA. And it’ll cause some others to follow.

Even now I am seeing almost 10k on the hood on the fca trucks and suvs. Butttt they inflated msrps so much they need 20k
It's nice to know I can still dump the 86 without losing my ass :lolol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:10 am

Yea I think that will remain the case until you cross 30/50k miles.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

lol :dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:39 pm

:notbad:

I really love the 86 but :iono: if the :baby: thing comes to fruition it may have to go, I think I'd rather get a hot hatch or something than deal with this and a beater, maintaining two things, etc.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:39 pm

I really love the 86 but :iono: if the :baby: thing comes to fruition it may have to go, I think I'd rather get a hot hatch or something than deal with this and a beater, maintaining two things, etc.
:baby: ing with the 86 would no doubt be a huge PITA. I think unless you're tracking this thing, just as much fun can be had on the street in a hot hatch.
golftdibrad1

coogles wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 pm

:baby: ing with the 86 would no doubt be a huge PITA. I think unless you're tracking this thing, just as much fun can be had on the street in a hot hatch.
yea but once they can get in seat by themselves it would be better. Im just about at that point.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:07 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:04 pm

yea but once they can get in seat by themselves it would be better. Im just about at that point.
No doubt! But it's that point in time between the pumpkin and a forward-facing convertible that the 86 just cannot do. There's no getting a kid in a rear-facing seat in this thing.

I keep telling my little man he needs to eat more before he can ride in the blue car. He's tall enough for a booster, but he's one skinny dude and needs to gain 5 more pounds before he hits the 40 pound minimum for a booster. :lol:
max225

Dumb ass question. What’s the shittiest smallest legal seat for crotchfruit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:52 pm Dumb ass question. What’s the shittiest smallest legal seat for crotchfruit.
Totally depends on age.