Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 pm

What are you doing whilst driving that makes these key features? Getting a beej from Infamous?
Possibly.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm used to trucks, but after 4 hours of driving, it gets mentally tiring constantly trying to keep the vehicle centered in the lane. The Cucktrek did it itself, and I was amazed how much more relaxed I felt after driving that thing for hours compared to the Jeeps I had. The 4R is better, but still quite a bit of attention is required as the hours pile on, it's something you don't really notice until you get to your destination. I'm talking about a vehicle that I'd be spending 8+ hours driving at a time, so any bit of help can be useful IMO.

TO be clear, I don't want nannys beeping at me. I want a solid driver assist system that handles shit for me without being annoying. Most cars don't do this right and annoy more than help, which is why I'm asking about it.
:muah: :ohmy: :zing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:19 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:21 pm

You're more than welcome to drive my 2.slow accord when you come close to my neck of the woods. It drives quite similarly to a GTI when you don't go :stig: but you can tell you're driving a bigger car, think of it as a large car that doesn't feel like a boat anchor.
Thanks dude! We'll need to :dock: when I'm out there.

When I went for my in person interview, I had to get a "compact" car for a rental. Dude told me "anything in section A" and I went out to find Nissan, Hyundai, etc nondescript small things...and a beat to shit Chevrolet Impala Premier at the end of the row. I went right for that, and my god was it nice. Rolling couch, great power, heated everything, I immediately melted into relaxation in that thing. Had 50k miles and a blown sway bar end link that clunked over bumps, but it was so relaxing to cruise in. Hilariously 5/7 for the need.

That got me thinking about the possibility of a large sedan that has hints of being sporty. I'm old, and if I want to :stig: I'll buy a car to do that. This would be a rolling couch highway bomber, but it would be nice to find something that wasn't completely giving up. Accord Sport, Legacy Sport, etc sort of things and bonus points for some lane centering tech that could ease some concentration after being behind the wheel for 8 hours.
Yesss we should.

Fwiw, the accord has been to nyc 4 times, Rehoboth beach multiple times, From DMV to Savannah, GA > Tampa > Orlando and back, and Chicago and back. Excellent highway cruiser (36 mpg was my record), the lane keep assist works well which can be tempting to multitask for a bit (which is rarely for me) but radar cruise is a little sensitive to my taste and tends to be hard on brakes, especially when you live in an area where tailgating and cutting off is common. The brakes are somewhat mushy, especially compared to cucktrek.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 pm

What are you doing whilst driving that makes these key features? Getting a beej from Infamous?
Possibly.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm used to trucks, but after 4 hours of driving, it gets mentally tiring constantly trying to keep the vehicle centered in the lane. The Cucktrek did it itself, and I was amazed how much more relaxed I felt after driving that thing for hours compared to the Jeeps I had. The 4R is better, but still quite a bit of attention is required as the hours pile on, it's something you don't really notice until you get to your destination. I'm talking about a vehicle that I'd be spending 8+ hours driving at a time, so any bit of help can be useful IMO.

TO be clear, I don't want nannys beeping at me. I want a solid driver assist system that handles shit for me without being annoying. Most cars don't do this right and annoy more than help, which is why I'm asking about it.
To be fair Jeeps are the worst driving cars on the road and extremely annoying to operate on the highway. I would assume a 4R Is pretty much the next worst thing? I drive a lot of regular cars pretty long distances on work trips and steering really isn’t that tire some in some thing like a Camry or an A4.

That said, nothing wrong with the aids if they help you.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:08 pm
Does yours have any driver assistance like lane keep or centering? If so, do you use it? I'm really curious about that for long highway drives.
Yes, I have the safety sense 2.5+ in the Camry. It does everything expected of it and works reasonably well on the highway. My Gorf had a similar system, but I prefer Toyota's adaptive cruise system better. It doesn't overreact to cars turning in front of me if they have equal or greater speed, unlike the previous system, which would hit the brakes to keep the gap the same. Lane-keeping works okay 90% of the time, but it occasionally bounces from one line to another.

The suspension/dampening is surprisingly well tuned, I mean really well tuned and it has a double-wishbone front setup. I have a mid-level thing with AA/AC on a 10" screen, heated wheel/seats, equally amazing headlights to your 4R, auto-dimming high beams, etc. If you're looking at a Subi, you'd owe it to yourself to drive both before plunking 25-30k down on either.

Edit: I have not driven a non-hybrid, so I'm not sure how different they are, but in my trim level, with the extra battery power to push it around, the car is refined and mindblown: efficient on gas. It's not fast but doesn't feel slow if that makes any sense. The Hybrid uses a Prius-like CVT, it's special to the drivetrain, but it works amazingly well. Still trying to figure out if a CVT is a right thing for you, Accord might have a :manuel: / 2.0T, so there's that.

Before buying the Cammie, I was thinking about a used LS460/500, but ignorance is bliss, and I don't know if I could be happy about a V8 burning through premium fuel to get around in an A-B car. In this price range, they are old and will need costly repairs, and they have pretty old tech. I use AA every time I get in my car!

Side note: My buddy drove us to Windsor and back yesterday in a Chevy Cruze with a 1.4T, and its range was significantly stifled over what I'm used to getting. I filled his tank from empty just before we got on the freeway in Milton, and the fuel light was on by the time we got there and back with no other pit stops aside from a breakfast stop at On Route station. So while 650 km on 55 litres is very respectful, my Cammie would still have another 200 km of fuel left on a 45-liter tank.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Looking at the 2023 pricing for one of these bad boys, up 2500$ since I bought it in Feb 2022. :impressive:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:44 pmSo while 650 km on 55 litres is very respectful, my Cammie would still have another 200 km of fuel left on a 45-liter tank.
How many freedoms per football is that?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:00 am
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:44 pmSo while 650 km on 55 litres is very respectful, my Cammie would still have another 200 km of fuel left on a 45-liter tank.
You're good at math, I know you can handle this
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:00 am
For the amount of bullshit I had to eat over the last two years, your comment about freedoms stings. I'll bite my tongue here, but I'll share this much and put it to rest.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:12 pm
Possibly.

To be fair Jeeps are the worst driving cars on the road and extremely annoying to operate on the highway. I would assume a 4R Is pretty much the next worst thing? I drive a lot of regular cars pretty long distances on work trips and steering really isn’t that tire some in some thing like a Camry or an A4.

That said, nothing wrong with the aids if they help you.
Tall SUVs are pretty much the worst, it's just physics. The 4R is good, yea...a car would be much better (hence my interest). The 4R is still ideal for what I need (wheeling, camping, boat hauling, people hauling around town), but adding a car to the stable for long highway slogs seems reasonable if I'm doing it frequently.

I'm more interested in making sure I don't buy a thing with tech that's annoying...or pay extra for tech that sucks. If I getting a car with driver aids, they need to be good or I don't want it. Eyesight was awesome in the Cucktrek, so that's my benchmark (and I think it's a high one based off reviews).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:44 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:08 pm
Does yours have any driver assistance like lane keep or centering? If so, do you use it? I'm really curious about that for long highway drives.
Yes, I have the safety sense 2.5+ in the Camry. It does everything expected of it and works reasonably well on the highway. My Gorf had a similar system, but I prefer Toyota's adaptive cruise system better. It doesn't overreact to cars turning in front of me if they have equal or greater speed, unlike the previous system, which would hit the brakes to keep the gap the same. Lane-keeping works okay 90% of the time, but it occasionally bounces from one line to another.

The suspension/dampening is surprisingly well tuned, I mean really well tuned and it has a double-wishbone front setup. I have a mid-level thing with AA/AC on a 10" screen, heated wheel/seats, equally amazing headlights to your 4R, auto-dimming high beams, etc. If you're looking at a Subi, you'd owe it to yourself to drive both before plunking 25-30k down on either.

Edit: I have not driven a non-hybrid, so I'm not sure how different they are, but in my trim level, with the extra battery power to push it around, the car is refined and mindblown: efficient on gas. It's not fast but doesn't feel slow if that makes any sense. The Hybrid uses a Prius-like CVT, it's special to the drivetrain, but it works amazingly well. Still trying to figure out if a CVT is a right thing for you, Accord might have a :manuel: / 2.0T, so there's that.

Before buying the Cammie, I was thinking about a used LS460/500, but ignorance is bliss, and I don't know if I could be happy about a V8 burning through premium fuel to get around in an A-B car. In this price range, they are old and will need costly repairs, and they have pretty old tech. I use AA every time I get in my car!

Side note: My buddy drove us to Windsor and back yesterday in a Chevy Cruze with a 1.4T, and its range was significantly stifled over what I'm used to getting. I filled his tank from empty just before we got on the freeway in Milton, and the fuel light was on by the time we got there and back with no other pit stops aside from a breakfast stop at On Route station. So while 650 km on 55 litres is very respectful, my Cammie would still have another 200 km of fuel left on a 45-liter tank.
The adaptive cruise in the 4R is pretty great, it seems Toyota knows how to make that part not suck, so good to hear that the lane keep works well. 90% of the time is a pretty good result IMO, no system is perfect.

I don't hate CVT's like everyone else. I honestly didn't hate the CVT in the Cucktrek...that made me open to others. I wouldn't write off a car just because it has a CVT, especially for this purpose. If I want a row-my-own sports car, I'll buy one to do that (major wants for a BRZ).

I don't think I'd buy anything without driving these three Japanese sedans:

Camry
Accord
Legacy

Glad to hear your feedback on the hybrid in the Camry, that does intrigue me from an efficiency standpoint. So does the new Accord Hybrid.

Funny you mention the Cruze. My mother still has her 2016 with 28k miles on it. It's 100% flawless and she offered it me again when I visited a few weeks ago. She just wants some help dealing with dealer scum to get her a new Equinox. I'm afraid it might be too small, but for free.99, I may need to consider it as well. Money saved on a sedan ($30-40k) could go to something really interesting instead.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The Cruze Eco 6MT is what I should have bought in 2011 and kept through today.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:44 am
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:44 pm

The adaptive cruise in the 4R is pretty great, it seems Toyota knows how to make that part not suck, so good to hear that the lane keep works well. 90% of the time is a pretty good result IMO, no system is perfect.

I don't hate CVT's like everyone else. I honestly didn't hate the CVT in the Cucktrek...that made me open to others. I wouldn't write off a car just because it has a CVT, especially for this purpose. If I want a row-my-own sports car, I'll buy one to do that (major wants for a BRZ).

Camry
Accord
Legacy

Glad to hear your feedback on the hybrid in the Camry, that does intrigue me from an efficiency standpoint. So does the new Accord Hybrid.

Funny you mention the Cruze. My mother still has her 2016 with 28k miles on it. It's 100% flawless and she offered it me again when I visited a few weeks ago. She just wants some help dealing with dealer scum to get her a new Equinox. I'm afraid it might be too small, but for free.99, I may need to consider it as well. Money saved on a sedan ($30-40k) could go to something really interesting instead.
If you have a free Cruze why are we even talking about the other boring options. Cruze wins
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am The Cruze Eco 6MT is what I should have bought in 2011 and kept through today.
You've mentioned that, they're interesting ones.

My mother's is an LT 1.4T Auto. Probably good for mid-30mpg?
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am The Cruze Eco 6MT is what I should have bought in 2011 and kept through today.
:ban:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:18 am
If you have a free TSX why are we even talking about the other boring options. TSX wins
:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:44 am

Camry
Accord
Legacy

If you have a free Cruze why are we even talking about the other boring options. Cruze wins
Because I'm a giant. 8 hours in a Cruze might be punishment. Need to find out I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 am
If you have a free TSX why are we even talking about the other boring options. TSX wins
:roasted:
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 am
That’s an excellent rebuttal

:micdrop:
Last edited by max225 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:18 am
You've mentioned that, they're interesting ones.

My mother's is an LT 1.4T Auto. Probably good for mid-30mpg?
My stepmom has the same thing IIRC or maybe the NA 1.8, both are around 35 mpg on 87 for highway trips.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 am

Because I'm a giant. 8 hours in a Cruze might be punishment. Need to find out I guess.
It can’t be smaller than the Volt you had
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

That particular combo was actually pretty neat. They gave the :manuel: short gears in 1-3 so that it could still accelerate, then super long 4-6 gears for highway mpg/noise. Lightweight 17" :ramz: from the factory to help city mpg plus a few other small weight reduction efforts, then some minor aero tweaks with plastic shields in front and underneath for another highway mpg.

A significant amount of engineering went into that car for no good reason. IIRC they even had a watt's link on the rear end.
Last edited by Valkyrie on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Free Cruze is pretty sweet! I found it comfortable and drove it for 3 straight hours in one direction. The seats are 5/7, and sized okay for my 6' frame. My buddy is 6'2" mainly upper body girth and he just sets his seat farther back with a little room to keep going. The one I drove has 200k km with little refurbishment, but it's kind of sloppy in the steering department, a doesn't offer any real tech to make the drives easier. Dash looks like a Christmas tree :doe:
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 am

That particular combo was actually pretty neat. They gave the :manuel: short gears in 1-3 so that it could still accelerate, then super long 4-6 gears for highway mpg/noise. Lightweight 17" :ramz: from the factory to help city mpg plus a few other small weight reduction efforts, then some minor aero tweaks with plastic shields in front and underneath for another highway mpg.

A significant amount of engineering went into that car for no good reason. IIRC they even had a watt's link on the rear end.
Weren’t you looking for some hatchy sporty thing with the motorcycle dash. I think I drove one too… it was surprisingly decent but it didn’t have the turbo and :manuel:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 am
Valkyrie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 am

Weren’t you looking for some hatchy sporty thing with the motorcycle dash. I think I drove one too… it was surprisingly decent but it didn’t have the turbo and :manuel:
Yeah the Sonic, which is more or less the hatch version of the Cruze. I had one on order (bright metallic orange :manuel: turbro) that was supposed to take 2 weeks because it was built 30 minutes from the :dillerman: and after 3 months of :waiting: I gave up and bought the :turboyaris: instead since I was moving to the middle of nowhere and needed a car. I didn't actually know about the :neat: little details that only existed on the Eco trim Cruze until years later so it wasn't on my radar.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:21 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 am
It can’t be smaller than the Volt you had
Right, which I got rid of because it was too small.