Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:54 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:17 pm
I knew he was tall, didn't realize he was my size. He does seem to fit OK in there. Hmmm, will definitely check it out before pulling the trigger on anything.

Hard part is I do want something somewhat sporty. Not a sports car, but something that's not totally giving up. Doug's less than impressed with the performance (as expected), but it might still be OK.
It’s like a full second quicker to 60 than a cucktrek so it seems like it’s not that bad…
Right. Definitely not off the list, I bet it's more than adequate. Biggest thing will be size inside and noise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:48 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:40 pm
I'd buy a used A5, which should get to be below $40k in the not so distant future. I'd also consider an A5 coupe, which would push the B pillar back
Oh true. You have the 4R so you wouldn't need the hatch space of the sport back. If you were curious I could reach out to my friend at FJ Audi and ask approximately how much it would be to add extra warranty to a used or CPO A5. I'm sure it's not that much.
Right, I just want something comfortable and reasonably efficient for long highway slogs. Something somewhat fun on a back road would be a plus.

I'm nowhere near the point of buying anything, need to figure out the job first. Earliest I'd be shopping would be the fall, there's zero reason to rush in this market anyway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:02 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:39 pm
I know! It's like they don't want to sell it at all. Apparently the suspension is new for 2023, so who knows. Would be interesting to actually measure.
The Lego-like nature of Subarus seems like it could work out nicely. Lots of neat little parts are compatible to fine-tune things to your liking without ruining the car with stupid coilovers and whatnot. I bet the factory Sport suspension is Subaru starting down that path themselves.
That certainly intrigues me as well. Legacy sport is probably just a parts bin special, but it might be actually decent. I just can't find a single report of anyone driving one other than this and the dude loved it.

https://gearjunkie.com/motors/2023-subaru-legacy-review
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:27 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:02 pm

The Lego-like nature of Subarus seems like it could work out nicely. Lots of neat little parts are compatible to fine-tune things to your liking without ruining the car with stupid coilovers and whatnot. I bet the factory Sport suspension is Subaru starting down that path themselves.
That certainly intrigues me as well. Legacy sport is probably just a parts bin special, but it might be actually decent. I just can't find a single report of anyone driving one other than this and the dude loved it.

Now that I think of it … is this thing the same thing as a wrx ? Once I saw the interior some sort of light bulb went off …
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:27 pm

Now that I think of it … is this thing the same thing as a wrx ? Once I saw the interior some sort of light bulb went off …
Apparently it's a big WRX just with the Ascent engine (less HP, more Torque, runs on donkey piss). I don't know why it hasn't gotten more press, I'm really curious about it.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:11 pm
Apparently it's a big WRX just with the Ascent engine (less HP, more Torque, runs on donkey piss). I don't know why it hasn't gotten more press, I'm really curious about it.
Nobody cares about sedans. I think it's cool if you want/need a big car :doe:
max225

I am looking through some "online" info and it seems like they are in fact the same car on the same platform... on the SGP (Subaru global platform).

Would a WRX make more "sense" but I suppose it may ride rougher? And cost more? but it would retain value better. The whole premium to regular thing is actually big deal in your neck of the woods also.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-sub ... rbox-drops

FYI the new WRX doesn't need premium either :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:26 pm
I am looking through some "online" info and it seems like they are in fact the same car on the same platform... on the SGP (Subaru global platform).

Would a WRX make more "sense" but I suppose it may ride rougher? And cost more? but it would retain value better. The whole premium to regular thing is actually big deal in your neck of the woods also.

I'd have to drive one, but I suspect it would be too rough. The goal would be a sporty couch here.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The Legacy is going to be significantly more comfortable in the places that matter on long trips. Soft touch points, thigh extensions on the seats in higher trims etc.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:40 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:26 pm

I'd have to drive one, but I suspect it would be too rough. The goal would be a sporty couch here.
Yea Ironically it may be easier to find a WRX than a Legacy, they seem to be "rotting" on the lots here. Also the new WRX seems like it may be kind of soft... I'd say drive some to see?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:53 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:40 pm
Yea Ironically it may be easier to find a WRX than a Legacy, they seem to be "rotting" on the lots here. Also the new WRX seems like it may be kind of soft... I'd say drive some to see?
I'd unfortunately get the CVT for eyesight, so the residual value is probably shit. But buying one would probably be cheaper, so certainly worth a drive when the time comes.

Prius
WRX
Legacy Sport
Audi A5

That's a :fullretard: list if I've ever seen one.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:03 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:53 pm

I'd unfortunately get the CVT for eyesight, so the residual value is probably shit. But buying one would probably be cheaper, so certainly worth a drive when the time comes.

Prius
WRX
Legacy Sport
Audi A5

Hey man. I cross shopped a civic sport and an M3 competition. :whocares: do what feels right.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:07 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:03 pm

Prius
WRX
Legacy Sport
Audi A5

Hey man. I cross shopped a civic sport and an M3 competition. :whocares: do what feels right.
Civic Sport might still be a good option for $10k+ less cash.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:43 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:07 pm

Except they neutered them… and now they feature a 2.slow from 10 years ago with 158hp
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:44 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:43 pm

Except they neutered them… and now they feature a 2.slow from 10 years ago with 158hp
:dafuq: I thought it was 1.5T+CVT
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:20 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:44 pm
Nope… unless you’re talking accord. Civics got “defeatured” in that regard
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:35 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:25 pm
Cadillacs are still somehow commanding German lux prices. That's a tough one for me, especially knowing how they're engineered and built. I'd much rather an A4/5, which is a very intriguing proposition if reliability is there. Like you said, I think it might be. Still going to be more maintenance than a Toyota/Honda/Subaru :doe:
I fucking loved the A5 rental I had. It did 34-36mpg from Rochester to Daytona and back. Legroom and headroom will be fine, but you'll be sitting next to or even slightly behind the b-pillar. That might not be a problem but for my dad, who is much older than you, he struggled to get in around it. The drivetrain is pretty rock solid. General maintenance items and consumables will obviously cost more but I don't think it'll need more frequent repairs than a Subaru for example. I also MUCH prefer the UI and real buttons for almost everything in the Audi. I'd check one out but it's gonna be $20k more.
I was going to say something similar, I’ve rented a couple of A4s, they are great cars. They look a million times better than any Legacy or WRX, better fuel efficiency, they’re fast, look great, and are just really pleasant to work with control wise and are comfy and roomy. I could say the same things about a G series BMW 330i.

Both could be had a couple of years old in the 30s and drive way better, look good, and use less fuel.

Having just gotten out of am eight years old BMW, it was a very reliable and well built car, I think the four cylinder versions of all these modern European cars are pretty low maintenance. If you’re willing to do small stuff at home like spark plugs, it’ll cost you very little in the first decade.

I have a spreadsheet with all maintenance/repairs and coats on my 328i since 2018 if you want to see it. I’ve still never once set foot in a BMW dealer in 40k miles and spent very little personal time maintaining it, the basics were easy DIY.

I think an A4 would be pretty similar, I’d try both that and a 330i.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:37 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:20 pm

Nope… unless you’re talking accord. Civics got “defeatured” in that regard
:iono: I think the :manuel: Sport having an NA engine is an improvement. Better reliability and more interesting in today’s market.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:56 am So, I've been low-key looking into mid-size sedans as I may be seeing some serious highway time in the coming year. Nothing serious, but I noticed something under the radar...

2023 Subaru Legacy Sport

2.4T from the Ascent/WRX, but takes regular and has more torque than the WRX 260hp/280tq
"SI-Drive" from the WRX...this is intriguing AF. The Cucktrek had something similar that completely transformed the response of the engine
Sport suspension :notsure:
Eye sight is fantastic
Sunroof, heated everything, proximity entry, $34k...probably could be had ~$30k after discounts

It's basically a big WRX. I can't find a single review of the thing, but it seems like it could be an intriguing sleeper. It's not attractive, but it's not ugly, just boring. I may try to drive one at some point.
My accord 2.0t sport does that (has heated seats as standard), it's a hair higher than $34k and that is indeed a lot. 2021 and up discontinued :manuel: but 2.0t (aka v6 replacement) comes with a 10 speed and can cruise 80 mph at 2k RPM. It's really close to be a type r motor too.

The regular 1.5t sport weirdly does not come with sunroof, nor heated seats as standard or even at all, but 2.0t does. Used are probably on high 20's especially you can get the :manuel: 2.0t in 2018-2020 models.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:53 am

I fucking loved the A5 rental I had. It did 34-36mpg from Rochester to Daytona and back. Legroom and headroom will be fine, but you'll be sitting next to or even slightly behind the b-pillar. That might not be a problem but for my dad, who is much older than you, he struggled to get in around it. The drivetrain is pretty rock solid. General maintenance items and consumables will obviously cost more but I don't think it'll need more frequent repairs than a Subaru for example. I also MUCH prefer the UI and real buttons for almost everything in the Audi. I'd check one out but it's gonna be $20k more.
I was going to say something similar, I’ve rented a couple of A4s, they are great cars. They look a million times better than any Legacy or WRX, better fuel efficiency, they’re fast, look great, and are just really pleasant to work with control wise and are comfy and roomy. I could say the same things about a G series BMW 330i.

Both could be had a couple of years old in the 30s and drive way better, look good, and use less fuel.

Having just gotten out of am eight years old BMW, it was a very reliable and well built car, I think the four cylinder versions of all these modern European cars are pretty low maintenance. If you’re willing to do small stuff at home like spark plugs, it’ll cost you very little in the first decade.

I have a spreadsheet with all maintenance/repairs and coats on my 328i since 2018 if you want to see it. I’ve still never once set foot in a BMW dealer in 40k miles and spent very little personal time maintaining it, the basics were easy DIY.

:dat: and as I mentioned my car, both 330i and accord 2.0t are pretty much in the same ballpark price wise, both used and new msrp pricing. I should've gone for the 330i for my stubborn self.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:53 am

I love German cars, always have. I've been into the A5 coupe since it came here, and that has me extremely interested. Biggest concern is reliability and maintenance since I kind of want a set it and forget it car, and it would be nice if it had some driver assistance like lane keep and adaptive cruise (the Germans kind of lag in this).

I haven't car shopped like this in ages, and there's zero rush so if I decide I want something along these lines, I'll drive a whole bunch of stuff before deciding.

Would need to be a sedan/coupe, I have an SUV that won't be going anywhere, and I just don't care for crossovers.

The Accord Sport is interesting to me as well.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Used Lexus ES. Dat comfort spec
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am Used Lexus ES. Dat comfort spec
My in laws have one naturally .. thing is 17 years old and fairly flawless. No oil leaks and everything works. It’s kind of in better shape than the tsx even though it’s older with more miles.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I bet if Subaru put a :manuel: in it, then people would start to pay attention.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am Used Lexus ES. Dat comfort spec
I just can't get into Lexus styling. Legit ugly IMO.