General Economic chit chat/updates.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:21 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:15 am

negative ghostrider, this reduction we just saw is a blip, more is on the way.

It’s possible. But just giving a pulse on current conditions… dollar could go poof in the future. Tbd
The groundwork is laid for the petrodollar to end. If it does we here in the US are proper fucked, especially if we don't get some governors on the hill to pull their collective heads out their fucking asses and (re) start domestic oil production in a big way. Sure, I know some of yall want the green fantasy and whatever, end of the day we buy all that shit from china and if we don't get the energy infrastructure here to make that shithere ,and quickly, when the petro dollar ends it will cause a depression that will have people praying for the 1930's to come back.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I still think we should be using :nuke: power here. Then again I don't have kids and DGAF what happens 50+ years from now. :thisisfine:

I'm adopting the :okboomer: attitude, let's do what works for today and let future generations :dealwithit:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think we had a :nuke: thread somewhere. I know that those who hump the :nuke: leg hard talk about how it is a “0 emission” process. And now “safe” it is… yet we’ve had countless disasters that have made many areas of the world inhospitable…

On top of that storing discarded fission materials for eternity is a huge burden on future generations as well.

There is no such thing as a free lunch Imo. For those in the sun belt solar is a real thing. I generate enough for myself and 2 cars. And with proper battery storage, I.e through an ev battery vs standalone home storage that’s the best way to go …

But yet mining lithium is a huge bitch as well…

Love to see an independent full service life assessment all all energies.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:38 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:21 am

You’re still that $300 rent paying bachelor at heart eh ?
Always. The finer domestic things in life do very little for me, I'd happily be the guy living in a shitty townhouse with an Evora if I were single.
Shitty townhouse but in a great location. I like a lot of my cheap home stuff. Comic and music posters are what hang in my studio, besides guitars. Hopefully this weekend I'm picking up a TARDIS cabinet for the living room.

Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 am I think we had a :nuke: thread somewhere. I know that those who hump the :nuke: leg hard talk about how it is a “0 emission” process. And now “safe” it is… yet we’ve had countless disasters that have made many areas of the world inhospitable…

On top of that storing discarded fission materials for eternity is a huge burden on future generations as well.

There is no such thing as a free lunch Imo. For those in the sun belt solar is a real thing. I generate enough for myself and 2 cars. And with proper battery storage, I.e through an ev battery vs standalone home storage that’s the best way to go …

Yeah :nuke: isn't zero emission any more than EV's are, the emissions are just in a different form and at a different time/place.

We've been trying to get functioning solar here for almost a year now, FL contractors are the absolute worst. The solar panels were installed :wrong: back in June, pretty soon we'll be in court hoping to get things moving to maybe have anything done by the end of next year. :disgust:

The EV battery as home solar storage/backup idea is interesting, not that I have interest in buying a $30k+ EV any time soon when we drive 2500 miles a year.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:32 am Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I still think we should be using :nuke: power here.
1000% correct. Will still needs lots of fossil until we can build out 5-600 reactors over a generation.
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 am I think we had a :nuke: thread somewhere. I know that those who hump the :nuke: leg hard talk about how it is a “0 emission” process. And now “safe” it is… yet we’ve had countless disasters that have made many areas of the world inhospitable…

Wow you are so wrong here about nearly everything.

1. countless disasters? there has been 1 bad one. Chernobyl. and its not even that bad anymore outside the immediate area of the plant. Far from 'many' areas that are 'inhospitable'
2. Storage/waste. This is only a thing in the USA because we are stupid. It can be reprocessed, reused, the the really nasty hot shit sored for a few hundred years in much smaller volume than a few 10k years as spent rods. France and most the rest of the world do this on some level. Then you can stuck the depleted elements back in the ground as NORM once they are less hot than ore.

3. also if we went to 3rd or 4th gen designs that move away from light water a lot of these issues go away

4. You are correct about no free lunch. All your tesla, battery storage, and solar panels took huge amounts of energy to manufacture. Do I think this stuff can work well for residential? Sure, it can and does. And its a good solution to boot IMHO.

But you are NOT going to power our modern industrial civilization as it exists today off solar panels and wind farms, the math simply doesn't work. We need lots of nuclear, and fast, if we ever want to become less dependent on carbon based energy.

So do that or drill and dig, I honestly dont care at this point - but what I won't do is go back to living in the 1800's energy wise :micdrop:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

Find your :nuke: thread let’s debate. Wanted to keep this one economy focused. I know it’s related to a degree but it’ll go off topic fast
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:34 pm Find your :nuke: thread let’s debate. Wanted to keep this one economy focused. I know it’s related to a degree but it’ll go off topic fast
:whalecum: to DFD, there is no 'on topic'.

Just had a meeting with my boss who confirmed we're on a hiring freeze ( :mindblown: they just hired the wife). They also put in a T&E budget for me for the first time ever but it's pretty easily achievable.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:12 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:34 pm Find your :nuke: thread let’s debate. Wanted to keep this one economy focused. I know it’s related to a degree but it’ll go off topic fast

Just had a meeting with my boss who confirmed we're on a hiring freeze ( :mindblown: they just hired the wife). They also put in a T&E budget for me for the first time ever but it's pretty easily achievable.
That's not a good sign. What was the wife hired for and how is her team as far as stability. Things like HR/Customer care/support functions are usually the first lines of lay offs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:12 pm

That's not a good sign. What was the wife hired for and how is her team as far as stability. Things like HR/Customer care/support functions are usually the first lines of lay offs.
Instructional Designer, we have an education team that creates content and certifications for employees of our customers. That certainly doesn't seem mission critical so I could see it being something that could go. :iono: :doe: , it's a done :dill: hopefully it works out well.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

A few weeks ago I saw a LinkedIn post where this girl got hired at Amazon and got laid off the same week she started. Wild
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 pm A few weeks ago I saw a LinkedIn post where this girl got hired at Amazon and got laid off the same week she started. Wild
LIFO
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:38 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 pm A few weeks ago I saw a LinkedIn post where this girl got hired at Amazon and got laid off the same week she started. Wild
LIFO
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:38 pm
LIFO
Same shit happened at meta. Apparently if you’re a brogrammer and you pass the interviews you get to go to some sort of “orientation camp” which lasts 30 days and get assigned a group to work with …

Well people got stuck in that shit with the hiring freezes as no teams could pull people from the camp… and then they got canned. Also their internal email said 13k cucks laid off… externally they announced 11k go figure
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Not surprising, new people are worthless in brogrammer terms.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Interestingly my wife's gig has a sort of 90 day probation period to start which they do as a policy within that department. They've actually had some new hires not work out as it's fairly technical on our education team, she will not only do instructional design but also have to learn about the products and how to install/program/configure them (as her team's job is educating our customer's employees/technicians on these subjects). She is quite techy though and will do fine with that.

Overall conditions could be a problem though. That said, November is going well for me sales-wise and October was the first month in a while I blew my quota number out of the water, I had something like 40% growth over October '21 (granted inflation is a part of that).

We can at least pay our bills on just my base salary if shit hits the fan, I think I'd be pretty far from the chopping block given my tenure and the fact that I have relationshits with hundreds of our customers.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

you bois like crypto right? Enjoy the ride to zero.
Easily provable facts:

1: The US government is giving a lot of of money and military equipment to the Ukrainian government.

2: FTX is a cryptocurrency exchange which was founded in the Bahamas in 2019. Its primary business model seems to have been attracting investors and taking their money.

3: Private individuals in the US and elsewhere have, to date, donated somewhere around $100 million (accounts very due to fluctuations in value) worth of various cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin, DOT, Ether, SOL, Tether, and others to the "Aid for Ukraine" organization, which appears to have since disappeared. https://donate.thedigital.gov.ua/

4: This currency passed through Everstake, FTX, and Kuna for the purpose of conversion on its way to unknown recipients, presumably the government of Ukraine.

5: Sam Bankman-Fried, the owner of FTX, personally donated $39.8 million to various Democrat-aligned campaigns in 2022.

6: As of today, FTX has effectively collapsed, with nearly all of its funds missing. Estimates vary wildly, but it appears that somewhere between $2 billion and $5 billion worth of investors' money is unaccounted for.

Recent assertions:

1: FTX was engaged in laundering money for Democrats in the US, by receiving money from the Ukrainian government (which was given to it by the US), and then giving that money to Democratic campaigns in the US.

Statements which appear to be factual:

1: The assertion above appears to be fallacious, because it supposes that money was moving in the opposite direction. FTX has certainly taken money from the US and moved it to the Ukraine, which is exactly what it said it was doing. There is no evidence that it moved money from the Ukraine into the US.

2: $2-5 billion is a lot more than $39.8 million. FTX certainly has all of the appearance of a classic Ponzi scheme.

3: The $39.8 million donated by Sam Bankman-Fried to Democratic campaigns in the US appears to have simply been stolen from FTX's investors.
I wonder when the audists of greentext.com will track down the receipts on the blockchain for the dems funding Ukraine to fund their re-elections?

One has to wonder about the timing of this collapse. Awfully convenient the deed is done so to speak. Dudebro with the fro and the hyphenated name is on the run.

Bonus :tinfoil:

Speaking of missing money,
Also, hows that loan forgiveness going :trollface:
max225

I don't think anyone here enjoys crypto ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:01 pm I don't think anyone here enjoys crypto ...
:dat: :whocares:

I’m pleased that it’s taken a shit so no one talks about it anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:16 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:01 pm I don't think anyone here enjoys crypto ...

:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Agree with you all, crypto was always a pyramid scheme to me. Lots of people have been burned even before this event.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Look at all us smarty pants.

However, it has enough penetration that, for at least the short term, it has ramification in real markets and is therefore news worthy in the chit chat thread.

But i agree I enjoy the fact that crypto bros talk about it less and will enjoy them squirm as it rides to zero :popcorn:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

https://michaelshellenberger.substack.c ... capitalism

Even the free part is a good read on the FTX thing. Spicy take.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Market predictions for the next week or two?

I just got my ESP released and now own an additional ~$10K in my company's stock I'd like to offload. It was bought at a 15% discount, so I'm in the black for now, do I sell today or wait until the end of the week?

It dropped $0.19 since this morning so I already lost $227 but I think it would've sold at that price anyway? I've never sold stock and don't really know how this works :yikes: