OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yo Brad and Valerie someone needs to get an avatar so I don't keep thinking you're the same person :lolol:

:wap: :derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I also think tablets are pointless, but I've never had one so :iono:

I think Android/iOS both suck compared to a real operating system (Mac or PC), I would get a real laptop of either flavor personally.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

We use Dell laptops at work. It works. No touchscreen or anything fancy, and I don’t think I’d ever want/use that feature (just one more potential failure point, imo).
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:59 pm Yo Brad and Valerie someone needs to get an avatar so I don't keep thinking you're the same person :lolol:

Why? it will just get changed again by the children. Feel free to reach out to them and tell them to do their worst tho.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:00 pm I also think tablets are pointless, but I've never had one so :iono:

I think Android/iOS both suck compared to a real operating system (Mac or PC), I would get a real laptop of either flavor personally.
Chrome OS had some nice cloud integration. Open a file explorer window and you could add / pull direct from your Google drive right there, it just showed up as a folder on your computer. That was pretty handy.

It’s also a simple OS with lots of good updates constantly. And it all runs and boots up super fast. But try to do computer stuff with it and it quickly gets frustrating. Even storing files or playing music on it is annoying.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:59 pm Yo Brad and Valerie someone needs to get an avatar so I don't keep thinking you're the same person :lolol:

Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:00 pm I also think tablets are pointless, but I've never had one so :iono:

Chrome OS had some nice cloud integration. Open a file explorer window and you could add / pull direct from your Google drive right there, it just showed up as a folder on your computer. That was pretty handy.
FWIW Google Drive on Windows can operate that way too, I use it every day to keep stuff accessible on the laptop/desktop/phone.
Desertbreh

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Nice^^^^^
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:58 pm My work computers have been HPs and for mainstream computers they seem decently well made and dependable. Very old school looking machines, not really cutting edge designs but whatever I suppose.

I liked how the pixel book didn’t have a fan. It was so quiet. My work laptop is a loud heavy bulky very hot running thing.
Speaking of fans, my Dell had a ridiculously loud fan. It sounded like a cheap bathroom exhaust fan. It would start up at random times in the middle of the night and would be loud enough to wake :tits: up. The HP fan is MUCH quieter.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

had to look up but :nice:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
wap

:fuckyeah: avatar!
Johnny_P

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:25 pm

FWIW Google Drive on Windows can operate that way too, I use it every day to keep stuff accessible on the laptop/desktop/phone.
That is awesome! Thanks.
I’m pretty heavily into the Google ecosystem aside from my phone being an apple product.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:07 am Or you can just get an iPad with a keyboard
Thats what I do. It's great and there are a few times I haven't touched my mac for almost a month
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:45 pm

That is awesome! Thanks.
I’m pretty heavily into the Google ecosystem aside from my phone being an apple product.
I am the same, use Google email, calendar, sheets, etc. for personal shit, Microsoft at work. I also have an iPhone and am kind of :butwhy: I will probably just get a Google phone next time.

That said, this iPhone is four years old and still going strong enough, so :aintcare: I hope to get another four out of it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:31 pm

Why? it will just get changed again by the children. Feel free to reach out to them and tell them to do their worst tho.
Valkyrie got one so :aintcare:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:17 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:31 pm

Valkyrie got one so :aintcare:

:pftch:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:16 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:58 pm

That is awesome! Thanks.
I am the same, use Google email, calendar, sheets, etc. for personal shit, Microsoft at work. I also have an iPhone and am kind of :butwhy: I will probably just get a Google phone next time.

That said, this iPhone is four years old and still going strong enough, so :aintcare: I hope to get another four out of it.
Yeah I dunno. I find the iPhone easy to use aside from anything to do with file storage or downloads. For me android just frustrates me. But otherwise the Google products seem relatively good and user friendly for home use.

I would entertain a pixel as my next phone though. The camera on this iPhone SE kind of sucks.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:08 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:30 am

new username who dis

glad yall were ok, hurricunts sucks and I will never miss them. When one hit In BR I was without electricity for 13 days.

well shit, talk about hitting the lottery there. Will be interesting journey for sure, good luck. Going to be a hellva ride for you two so I truly hope it all works out and you find some peace in the end. (which at least from your online posting always seemed to elude you)

So I have questions, and feel free to not answer anything you dont want. How long does this typically take? are you going full steam ahead or pacing yourself? Are you going to any surgeries? Are you taking hormones and stuff too?

Somewhat related: did you ever get a job in FL and does your employer know, or have you told them, do you think they will care?
:hai:

First off, since I do have some connections with some of y'all outside of DFD: I'm not yet out to anyone beyond my wife, doctors, and random internet folks, so please don't post anything to my Facebook or whatever until you see the names change on there.

Timelines vary significantly based on all sorts of factors. With my local folks, it's typically 6+ months of living 24/7 under the new identity before you can be recommended to start taking hormones, then 12+ months on those before you can start talking to surgeons, then the good ones tend to have waiting lists that are years long (not to mention costing a lot of generally not-covered-by-insurance money), then recovery is a solid year after that.

I turn 37 in a month, if I actually go all the way through the big surgeries I'll be ~45 by the time it's all totally done but will hopefully have life mostly changed over before I hit 40.
Hey, awesome news and I imagine a huge relief. I’m not on dfd hardly ever anymore, but fyi the team I manage houses our dedicated transgender team. I won’t pretend that I’m an expert, but they are, so hit me up if you ever need help navigating the medical/insurance side of things cause I have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips for both aspects.

I do have one piece of info. You’re right, insurance coverage can be tricky. Big companies do tend to have coverage for at least some of the procedures, and big tech companies tend to cover more procedures than others. Just food for thought.
:therapist:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:00 am

Yeah I dunno. I find the iPhone easy to use aside from anything to do with file storage or downloads. For me android just frustrates me. But otherwise the Google products seem relatively good and user friendly for home use.

I would entertain a pixel as my next phone though. The camera on this iPhone SE kind of sucks.
I've been using Pixels since the first one, and Nexus phones before that. My current Pixel 6 is fantastic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Calvinball wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:01 am

First off, since I do have some connections with some of y'all outside of DFD: I'm not yet out to anyone beyond my wife, doctors, and random internet folks, so please don't post anything to my Facebook or whatever until you see the names change on there.

Timelines vary significantly based on all sorts of factors. With my local folks, it's typically 6+ months of living 24/7 under the new identity before you can be recommended to start taking hormones, then 12+ months on those before you can start talking to surgeons, then the good ones tend to have waiting lists that are years long (not to mention costing a lot of generally not-covered-by-insurance money), then recovery is a solid year after that.

I turn 37 in a month, if I actually go all the way through the big surgeries I'll be ~45 by the time it's all totally done but will hopefully have life mostly changed over before I hit 40.
Hey, awesome news and I imagine a huge relief. I’m not on dfd hardly ever anymore, but fyi the team I manage houses our dedicated transgender team. I won’t pretend that I’m an expert, but they are, so hit me up if you ever need help navigating the medical/insurance side of things cause I have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips for both aspects.

I do have one piece of info. You’re right, insurance coverage can be tricky. Big companies do tend to have coverage for at least some of the procedures, and big tech companies tend to cover more procedures than others. Just food for thought.
:like:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

There's just a learning curve both ways. If I pick up an iphone now, I have no clue how to do anything and it's super frustrating after almost 10 years on Android. Pretty much everything being customizable on Android is also a blessing and a curse. I don't even know how to do a lot of things quickly on my wife's Motorola because I've had my own personalized UI for so long that a "stock" setup (which is different across each flavor of Android) is no longer familiar to me.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Calvinball wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:01 am

Cheers, so far everything is simple enough but that could change as time goes by (especially in FL...).

Oddly enough, Starbucks has about the best coverage in this country to the point that it's almost a meme. Want to transition in the US? Go work at Starbucks.
wap

Hey Val,

Still planning on moving to France one of these days? Would their national health care cover any of your procedures?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:16 am

I've been using Pixels since the first one, and Nexus phones before that. My current Pixel 6 is fantastic.
I had the first Pixel and LOVED it, but it completely crapped out at the 12 month mark. Got a bit buggy & laggy, then just wouldn't turn on after about a week of that. Great software, but shit hardware, at least that one was. I switched back to an iPhone and I've gotten at least 3 years out of each one I've owned. :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:16 am
I had the first Pixel and LOVED it, but it completely crapped out at the 12 month mark. Got a bit buggy & laggy, then just wouldn't turn on after about a week of that. Great software, but shit hardware, at least that one was. I switched back to an iPhone and I've gotten at least 3 years out of each one I've owned. :ohwell:
Interesting. I usually jump a model. Pixel 1 --> Pixel 3a --> Pixel 6.

My 3a I had for 3 years and it was working perfect, even had great battery life. Google offered a stupid amount of money for it on trade for a 6 ($300), so I took it. The 6 has been awesome for a few months now, but time will tell on that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.