OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:40 pm Boss called me up. Apparently one of the managers is retiring abruptly. He said I should apply for the position.

:nosure: but I might give it a go. Would be a nice pay increase which helps since I'm the sole provider for the family. Could also open the door to a lot of things outside the utility industry.
This is the big one IMO. Getting the experience to be able to jump around industries is 5/7.

:doit:
:dat:

Having some experience in your back pocket that could get you in the door somewhere totally different if your own field happens to shit the bed for some reason is crucial.

One of the reasons I'm in sales... everyone needs sales people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:01 pm

:wat:

I feel like it's been pretty dece. Dat electrical chat is very informative!

I am surprised overloading circuits is an issue anywhere outside of the kitchen in the home (or maybe the laundry room). Electronics, modern lights, etc. draw near zero current.
It was bad in our 1940s San Diego house. The washer and dryer were in the kitchen so if they were running you couldn’t do anything else in there that needed electricity. Microwave, rice cooker, blender.. any of them would shut the whole thing down.
We live that poor life with washer/dryer in the kitchen as well, but I think it has its own circuit as our place was built in the 1970s.

We don't even have :fancy: :popcorn: ceiling with sparkle like JP :doe: , just regular old :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am surprised overloading circuits is an issue anywhere outside of the kitchen in the home (or maybe the laundry room). Electronics, modern lights, etc. draw near zero current.
It was bad in our 1940s San Diego house. The washer and dryer were in the kitchen so if they were running you couldn’t do anything else in there that needed electricity. Microwave, rice cooker, blender.. any of them would shut the whole thing down.
We live that poor life with washer/dryer in the kitchen as well, but I think it has its own circuit as our place was built in the 1970s.

We don't even have :fancy: :popcorn: ceiling with sparkle like JP :doe: , just regular old :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:46 pm
This is the big one IMO. Getting the experience to be able to jump around industries is 5/7.

:doit:

Having some experience in your back pocket that could get you in the door somewhere totally different if your own field happens to shit the bed for some reason is crucial.

One of the reasons I'm in sales... everyone needs sales people.
It's the main reason why I'm dealing with what I'm dealing with right now. In a few years, I'll have the experience to go anywhere digital. And since the world is digital, this is a good thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:47 pm Since we've got a new new...

I will reply the things I wanted to over in 20.

@Coogs... that blows about the 'VID. Didn't you have it not all that long ago? Enjoy the dranks and laying low as much as you can. Maybe take that road bike out :hue:

@Detroit... I think the tilt/telescope will help immensely, the steering wheel is the biggest issue. I actually find this C3 neat-ish. :popcorn:

@JP... :disgust: I hope y'all are able to find a house that makes you happier soon.

It's funny, I actually have an EE minor, but even as an engineer, I'm kind of scared of messing with electrical in my house. High voltage is a bit of a :nope: for me.
Thanks brotha. Feels like it wasn't that long ago, but it was actually November of 2020. So yeah, year and a half. Time flies man!

Really wanted to get the bike out this afternoon, but after the kids went down for naps I got out and got all my yard work done, and they woke up not too long after. Good news is I won't have to do it this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to get the bike out at least once.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:40 pm Boss called me up. Apparently one of the managers is retiring abruptly. He said I should apply for the position.

:nosure: but I might give it a go. Would be a nice pay increase which helps since I'm the sole provider for the family. Could also open the door to a lot of things outside the utility industry.
Pay increases are nice even if you're popping Coronas with Snoop Dog. This is major :fuckyeah: news, my man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:27 pm buncha
:pout:

goin' on here lately

Feels like we're doing better after all of that airing of dirty laundry, so to speak.

Before we did the bathroom renovations in the old house, the ENTIRE second floor was on a single circuit. I swear every other time my wife fired up a hairdryer that thing blew. :ayfkm:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:27 pm buncha
:pout:

goin' on here lately

Woman keeps popping our bedroom fuse. Once a space heater is running the circuit is at like 80% capacity.

2000 :wat: is what most breakers can handle… space heater is 1500, tv is 300… she plugs in hair curler at 1200 and poof goes the breaker
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:14 pm

There is no way a washer and dryer is on the same circuit of anything. My dryer pulls 6500 :wat: s it would obliterate any normal circuit that is capped at 2000. So it has its own 30 amp breaker.

Usually ovens have their own as does ac… they all have too much load to be able to be combined with anything else.

My main issue now is my tesla is plugged into my dryer outlet so I ghettorigged it with a Y splitter. Clearly can’t run both… and I want to run a new 50amp circuit to the garage to allow for ev charging …. But that’s $1200 :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:33 pm

There is no way a washer and dryer is on the same circuit of anything. My dryer pulls 6500 :wat: s it would obliterate any normal circuit that is capped at 2000. So it has its own 30 amp breaker.

Usually ovens have their own as does ac… they all have too much load to be able to be combined with anything else.

My main issue now is my tesla is plugged into my dryer outlet so I ghettorigged it with a Y splitter. Clearly can’t run both… and I want to run a new 50amp circuit to the garage to allow for ev charging …. But that’s $1200 :disgust:
I have run like 4 separate circuits in this house over the the last 10 years to handle high load items.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

A gas drier would draw less, and be on 120 on the same circuit as other stuff. And enough to pop breakers with other shit on the circuit. As you said, it SHOULD be on its own circuit, like any other appliance...range, fridge, etc.

Garage wiring is woefully inadequate for EV charging generally, and it's costly to upgrade. Our garage for some reason has a 50amp sub panel for the opener, lights, and 2 outlets, all of which on their own circuit. Overkill much? Nice to know we're ready for an EV if one ever comes out that I want.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

A gas drier would draw less, and be on 120 on the same circuit as other stuff. And enough to pop breakers with other shit on the circuit. As you said, it SHOULD be on its own circuit, like any other appliance...range, fridge, etc.

Garage wiring is woefully inadequate for EV charging generally, and it's costly to upgrade. Our garage for some reason has a 50amp sub panel for the opener, lights, and 2 outlets, all of which on their own circuit. Overkill much? Nice to know we're ready for an EV if one ever comes out that I want.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:57 pm

That’s :impressive: yea EV wiring needs to be a standalone thing period. It’s 1/2 of my whole house capacity of 100amps… which is apparently woefully inadequate and needs to be upgraded to 200… yet there is no fucking way I’m going run the ac, the oven, every single appliance, dryer + charge my car at once… but theoretically the house needs to be able to do that … for :science: and safety shit
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tested negative for the rona this morning, just 4 days after my first symptoms. :fuckyeah:

:gtfo: covid
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

datgrundle wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:46 am Image
:hai:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:07 am Tested negative for the rona this morning, just 4 days after my first symptoms. :fuckyeah:

:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

coogles wrote:Tested negative for the rona this morning, just 4 days after my first symptoms. :fuckyeah:

COVID .... thy can go fuck thyself!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

datgrundle wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:32 am
coogles wrote:Tested negative for the rona this morning, just 4 days after my first symptoms. :fuckyeah:

COVID .... thy can go fuck thyself!

Thanks fellas. Thankful to be be able to get back to normal life tomorrow.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

How was you all’s weekends? The past couple days have been incredibly boring for me, being stuck in bed with an injured left ankle. I can’t recall injuring it, just went to bed the day of the Miata oil change with minor pain and woke up with “I can’t walk” levels of pain. :dafuq:

That morning, I had to drive following bro as we took the golf to have its stock suspension put in by a friend with more experience and tools, and drop it off for paint on the front bumper to mask the bondo we used to smooth out the front plate holes prior to wrapping. Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention, it’s going back to stock and should be offed to Carvana or CarMax by the end of the week. :hibachi: incoming. I should start a thread if my brother doesn’t do it himself.

Hopped in the :meata: to see if I could drive with the pain and surprisingly clutching in felt fine at first, but about 10 seconds later I realized that before the end of the day I’d be in worse shape than before. So I drove the parents MDX instead because auto. :jalepenis:

It has been 3 days of not driving the Miata and I am sad. Hopefully I should be good tomorrow.
Last edited by adoob on Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Dang, injured ankle sounds like it blows. At least an MDX is a pretty nice vehicle to thug around in while it heals.
Johnny_P

Lisa has been out at her parents for a few days with Julian. On Saturday I took a train out there and stayed the night. We went strawberry picking, he and his cousin (also under 2yo) had a blast munching on strawberries as we all picked the juiciest looking ones.

Then Saturday evening the dog had an episode. She was sitting under a tree head down, mope face, tail tucked, and just totally out of it. We got her to come over and she was ice cold to the touch and completely pale. I carried her inside and she started to come to, then had 2 more of these cold/pale episodes. Took her to puppy ER. They said it could have been either heart problems or she got bit by something and had an allergic reaction. Dunno. She's wiggly and doofy today so I guess shes alright.

Today I took mass transit back to the city while they stay another couple days for more toddler hang outs. Slammed some fried rice. More tequila. Not bad.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:22 pm Lisa has been out at her parents for a few days with Julian. On Saturday I took a train out there and stayed the night. We went strawberry picking, he and his cousin (also under 2yo) had a blast munching on strawberries as we all picked the juiciest looking ones.

Then Saturday evening the dog had an episode. She was sitting under a tree head down, mope face, tail tucked, and just totally out of it. We got her to come over and she was ice cold to the touch and completely pale. I carried her inside and she started to come to, then had 2 more of these cold/pale episodes. Took her to puppy ER. They said it could have been either heart problems or she got bit by something and had an allergic reaction. Dunno. She's wiggly and doofy today so I guess shes alright.

Today I took mass transit back to the city while they stay another couple days for more toddler hang outs. Slammed some fried rice. More tequila. Not bad.
Poor pup. Hope it’s nothing serious. Sounds like a 5/7 weekend outside of that though.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:22 pm Lisa has been out at her parents for a few days with Julian. On Saturday I took a train out there and stayed the night. We went strawberry picking, he and his cousin (also under 2yo) had a blast munching on strawberries as we all picked the juiciest looking ones.

Poor pup. Hope it’s nothing serious. Sounds like a 5/7 weekend outside of that though.

Scary stuff. I don't think I could handle taking care of a pet, I would get way too emotional over small things.

Fried rice and tequila sounds like a good time though :drool:
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
Johnny_P

That fried rice was perfect last night. Shrimp and Chinese sausage. But it was $20. My 10% promotion can’t cover inflation.