OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:52 am
Wow, I didn't realize the United Way thing was so widespread, I thought it was just an old school car company thing.

My new company doesn't do any of that. There's company wide giving initiatives where the last one our CEO matched dollar for dollar unlimited for children's cancer, and he shaved his head if we hit $20k after his match (we did), but the only pressure was to see the CEO shave his head, nothing more. It's entirely up to the individual to participate or not ZFG. This is how it should be.
We had the same situation with them when I worked at the railroad back in the 80's, so it ain't new by any means. I'm actually surprised they're still getting away with their shenanigan's. :disgust:
Oh, I know it used to be a big deal and pretty widespread. I just didn't realize it was still so much so. :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:14 pm Whats good everyone ? How are all of your employers fairing ? We're seeing so much pain on the horizon... also market is such a shit show!

Are y'all :aintcare: or just removed from the real time financials of your companies ?
On this topic, I'm actually :notsure: what to do with our employee stock buying program. We have an opportunity to buy discounted stock. It seems like a no brainer as it's discounted and can be sold more or less immediately if desired, but it seems holding for 18 months is beneficial for tax purposes. :notsure: how much risk to take on with this given the market and whatnot.
Wife recently became eligible at her company for employee stock purchase, and after looking into it... :notsure: Unless you want to buy a bunch to sell instantly (and even then the discount means you need to buy A LOT to get anything meaningful when the .gov takes 40% to short term cap gains), it's tough to justify in today's market.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 am

On this topic, I'm actually :notsure: what to do with our employee stock buying program. We have an opportunity to buy discounted stock. It seems like a no brainer as it's discounted and can be sold more or less immediately if desired, but it seems holding for 18 months is beneficial for tax purposes. :notsure: how much risk to take on with this given the market and whatnot.
Wife recently became eligible at her company for employee stock purchase, and after looking into it... :notsure: Unless you want to buy a bunch to sell instantly (and even then the discount means you need to buy A LOT to get anything meaningful when the .gov takes 40% to short term cap gains), it's tough to justify in today's market.
I never set it up with my company. Too bad. It split and gained 50% in the last year.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 am About to make my last commute to UCF for classes at 8:30 this morning. Feels good. To think I’d be commuting all of my final semester in one of my attainable dream cars was not something I would have thought possible 5 years ago when I started.

Still gotta make the drive out on Sunday for grad pics and then on May 6th for graduation but this is the last commute.

How’s everyone been? I’ve been taking things chill lately due to fasting for Ramadan, don’t wanna exert too much effort when I can’t drink water and stuff, but hoping to get back to the gym for the first time in ages after it’s over and also get serious about applying to jobs.

Monday night I had the chance to take the :meata: to its first Orlando Roadsters meet under my ownership. 5/7 group of people. Had a class conflicting with the meet time ever since I bought the car but it was cancelled this week so I went.
Salamin alaikum brother, happy ramadan! Where are you from or your ethnicity?

Finally another habibi in DFD!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:34 pm
I never set it up with my company. Too bad. It split and gained 50% in the last year.
It also could have tanked and you'd be in the red.

My wife's company went down a week after she was eligible. Too much volatility to be playing with stock right now IMO. If the stock dips low enough, it could be worth activating to pick up cheap shares, but even then... :notsure:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:48 pm

My wife's company went down a week after she was eligible. Too much volatility to be playing with stock right now IMO. If the stock dips low enough, it could be worth activating to pick up cheap shares, but even then... :notsure:
I just set it up. Did like 3% contribution. We get it at a 10% discount to the lowest price of the quarter.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:20 am
adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 am About to make my last commute to UCF for classes at 8:30 this morning. Feels good. To think I’d be commuting all of my final semester in one of my attainable dream cars was not something I would have thought possible 5 years ago when I started.

Still gotta make the drive out on Sunday for grad pics and then on May 6th for graduation but this is the last commute.

How’s everyone been? I’ve been taking things chill lately due to fasting for Ramadan, don’t wanna exert too much effort when I can’t drink water and stuff, but hoping to get back to the gym for the first time in ages after it’s over and also get serious about applying to jobs.

Monday night I had the chance to take the :meata: to its first Orlando Roadsters meet under my ownership. 5/7 group of people. Had a class conflicting with the meet time ever since I bought the car but it was cancelled this week so I went.
Congrats on graduation, man! That is an awesome feeling. I was pretty :sad: about splitting up with my roommates and friends at the end of it, but the sense of accomplishment and relief is real.

You're into computer science, right? You should have no problem getting gainful employment I imagine.

How have you liked the NC for fairly long commutes/DD duty? I've had this crazy idea of late of offing the BMW for an NC. It seems like of the Miatas it has the best space for someone my size/for DD useage, and we have the :jeep: when we need something bigger. It would be less than I could get for the Beemah and I could ride it out for a year or until whenever we have :baby: if that works out.
Thanks! Never had the pleasure of having roommates but it is a possibility because I'm looking at moving out from the parents' place by the end of the year depending on finances. Itching for a bit of freedom. Friend group is sticking together thankfully as well, I'm basically one of the last of our core group to still be in school so now I'll be on mostly the same schedule as the rest of the group once I get working haha.

Yep. Degree isn't CS but I have a minor in it and it's what I live and breathe so that's what I'm aiming for in a job. Beefing up my portfolio slowly to make up for the lack of an actual CS degree.

The NC has been great! It's noisy and you feel *everything* so it's not a great highway machine at all, but it's perfectly doable and everything else about driving it makes up for it. At least, coming from the auto Jetta that soaked up the miles but didn't give enough fun. While you feel everything through the suspension, nothing is jarring or uncomfortable. It just communicates. The baffles have still yet to be put back in, haven't commuted a ton with them out but the drone does get a bit tiring by the end of the commute. Simple fix to put them back in though, and the extra burbles and noise when having fun balance it out until I'm not feeling lazy and put em back in.

I haven't yet come across anything that doesn't fit, outside of the obvious stuff like a ladder that of course wouldn't. The other day I took 2 cases of water and some other groceries home in it and it did well.

Would be interesting to have another Miata in the group! I think I've come to the conclusion that this is forever staying in my ownership. I love this car.

Oh also, windshield got a chip in it this morning during the commute. :rage:
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That chip looks fixable. Get someone to come out asap.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:12 pm Hey 'Doob, when is the Eid?
Expected May 2nd, but ultimately depends on moon sighting because based on a lunar calendar.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:01 pm

Salamin alaikum brother, happy ramadan! Where are you from or your ethnicity?

Finally another habibi in DFD!
Walaikum salam, Ramadan Mubarak! My family is from Bangladesh, but my siblings and I are all US-born.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 pm That chip looks fixable. Get someone to come out asap.
Is it not normal to just replace the windshield when it chips? Or have I just been doing this wrong in the past lol

In Florida, auto insurance is required to replace windshields for free, but we've been kicked off insurance for too many glass claims before because we decided to do all 4 of our cars since all were chipped. Was thinking of just waiting in case it gets another chip or two before just having it replaced.
max225

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 pm That chip looks fixable. Get someone to come out asap.
Is it not normal to just replace the windshield when it chips? Or have I just been doing this wrong in the past lol

In Florida, auto insurance is required to replace windshields for free, but we've been kicked off insurance for too many glass claims before because we decided to do all 4 of our cars since all were chipped. Was thinking of just waiting in case it gets another chip or two before just having it replaced.
Must be florida things. Here insurance doesn't really cover it unless you get "glass coverage" and then its a special deductible still.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:28 pm
adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Must be florida things. Here insurance doesn't really cover it unless you get "glass coverage" and then its a special deductible still.
I've heard some states require glass coverage so it's "free" but really you just pay more in premiums.

Agreed this looks fixable. I'd just get a repair kit from Autozone and let it ride. Probably won't even be able to see it after, those kits can work wonders.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:18 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:12 pm Hey 'Doob, when is the Eid?
Expected May 2nd, but ultimately depends on moon sighting because based on a lunar calendar.
Almost there, :doe: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:11 pm

I just set it up. Did like 3% contribution. We get it at a 10% discount to the lowest price of the quarter.
Ours is in six month periods, so it’s a 15% discount on the lower price between the first day in the six months and the last. I could sell immediately and bank the 15+% less capital gainz. If I hold longer, capital gains can be avoided. I guess 15% on $10k is quite a bit of dough, seems worthwhile although the question is is 15% minus 40% taxes over six months more than inflation? Doubtful :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:20 am

Congrats on graduation, man! That is an awesome feeling. I was pretty :sad: about splitting up with my roommates and friends at the end of it, but the sense of accomplishment and relief is real.

You're into computer science, right? You should have no problem getting gainful employment I imagine.

How have you liked the NC for fairly long commutes/DD duty? I've had this crazy idea of late of offing the BMW for an NC. It seems like of the Miatas it has the best space for someone my size/for DD useage, and we have the :jeep: when we need something bigger. It would be less than I could get for the Beemah and I could ride it out for a year or until whenever we have :baby: if that works out.
Thanks! Never had the pleasure of having roommates but it is a possibility because I'm looking at moving out from the parents' place by the end of the year depending on finances. Itching for a bit of freedom. Friend group is sticking together thankfully as well, I'm basically one of the last of our core group to still be in school so now I'll be on mostly the same schedule as the rest of the group once I get working haha.

Yep. Degree isn't CS but I have a minor in it and it's what I live and breathe so that's what I'm aiming for in a job. Beefing up my portfolio slowly to make up for the lack of an actual CS degree.

The NC has been great! It's noisy and you feel *everything* so it's not a great highway machine at all, but it's perfectly doable and everything else about driving it makes up for it. At least, coming from the auto Jetta that soaked up the miles but didn't give enough fun. While you feel everything through the suspension, nothing is jarring or uncomfortable. It just communicates. The baffles have still yet to be put back in, haven't commuted a ton with them out but the drone does get a bit tiring by the end of the commute. Simple fix to put them back in though, and the extra burbles and noise when having fun balance it out until I'm not feeling lazy and put em back in.

I haven't yet come across anything that doesn't fit, outside of the obvious stuff like a ladder that of course wouldn't. The other day I took 2 cases of water and some other groceries home in it and it did well.

Would be interesting to have another Miata in the group! I think I've come to the conclusion that this is forever staying in my ownership. I love this car.

Thanks for the details, dude! The trunk is honestly dece. Agree that it’sa great car, I’ve actually ridden in it while driven in anger on the Tail of the Dragon years ago during [user not found]’s ownershit.

I agree with Chris, autozone self repair kit is the move for the windshield.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:11 pm

:hai: I have an NA. Don't ever sell it, this is my 3rd one. Should have kept the first one.

Also that chip is totes fixable with the repair kit. Just be sure to put pressure on the opposite side of glass when you put on the applicator thing to the windshield.... I didn't do this once and caused a chip to run in the windshield.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wow this place is dead. Hope [user not found] and his sack riders are proud of themselves.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

A lot of us just don't have the time that we used to for shitposting...
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:41 pm wow this place is dead. Hope [user not found] and his sack riders are proud of themselves.
:iono: plenty of posting IMO just no bullshit "i took a fat piss " posts in here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm A lot of us just don't have the time that we used to for shitposting...
fair

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:12 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:41 pm wow this place is dead. Hope [user not found] and his sack riders are proud of themselves.
:iono: plenty of posting IMO just no bullshit "i took a fat piss " posts in here.
I don't feel like it's particularly active tho. just my 2 cent.
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Yea it isn't super active... Zillskie stopped posting much lately and he was really active.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Lots of coming and going in general as people's schedules ebb and flow. I can say that my new job is significantly more demanding and thus my time to post is diminished.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:09 pm Lots of coming and going in general as people's schedules ebb and flow. I can say that my new job is significantly more demanding and thus my time to post is diminished.
Not to mention those that have been driven away for certain reasons...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Thanks, [user not found].