OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

About to make my last commute to UCF for classes at 8:30 this morning. Feels good. To think I’d be commuting all of my final semester in one of my attainable dream cars was not something I would have thought possible 5 years ago when I started.

Still gotta make the drive out on Sunday for grad pics and then on May 6th for graduation but this is the last commute.

How’s everyone been? I’ve been taking things chill lately due to fasting for Ramadan, don’t wanna exert too much effort when I can’t drink water and stuff, but hoping to get back to the gym for the first time in ages after it’s over and also get serious about applying to jobs.

Monday night I had the chance to take the :meata: to its first Orlando Roadsters meet under my ownership. 5/7 group of people. Had a class conflicting with the meet time ever since I bought the car but it was cancelled this week so I went.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Early morning today. Buddy and I are test running driving the commute to Seattle. Knock on gout my cardio and he’s gonna pick me up at 4:15. Felt weird getting stuff ready to go into an office yesterday evening lol.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:14 pm How are all of your employers fairing ? We're seeing so much pain on the horizon... also market is such a shit show!

Are y'all :aintcare: or just removed from the real time financials of your companies ?
My company has no debt, so that is a good place. The corp as a whole has a lot of gov and public sector design work to do, ie contracts that are pretty reliable.

My sector tho, is a show of shit. Our office is doing well and bringing in the bacon. We have a job we are working that secures us for about another year and a half, and are looking to win more work and expand. But the other two office are ... not. I dont know whats going on in the canada office. Bunch of WFH do nothing slackjaws in my experience. The houston office is just terrible. Buch of execs doing whatever down there burning through the profits from the paying client we are working. Lots of working for free renewable BS pie in sky projects that we hope to get paid for on back end, and we wont, because they wont get built. :mad:

As for the coming :nuke: ? I will be fine, as the thing I work on is fundamentally for the US gov, and at this point they are committed to build (equipment is ordered) and we are working on it through construction and startup. Also have more projects in the pipeline from said client.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:38 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:14 pm How are all of your employers fairing ? We're seeing so much pain on the horizon... also market is such a shit show!

Are y'all :aintcare: or just removed from the real time financials of your companies ?
My company has no debt, so that is a good place. The corp as a whole has a lot of gov and public sector design work to do, ie contracts that are pretty reliable.

My sector tho, is a show of shit. Our office is doing well and bringing in the bacon. We have a job we are working that secures us for about another year and a half, and are looking to win more work and expand. But the other two office are ... not. I dont know whats going on in the canada office. Bunch of WFH do nothing slackjaws in my experience. The houston office is just terrible. Buch of execs doing whatever down there burning through the profits from the paying client we are working. Lots of working for free renewable BS pie in sky projects that we hope to get paid for on back end, and we wont, because they wont get built. :mad:

As for the coming :nuke: ? I will be fine, as the thing I work on is fundamentally for the US gov, and at this point they are committed to build (equipment is ordered) and we are working on it through construction and startup. Also have more projects in the pipeline from said client.
So you are Ron Swanson? Hating the gov with a fiery passion while also scoring your dough from it? :impressive: :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 am About to make my last commute to UCF for classes at 8:30 this morning. Feels good. To think I’d be commuting all of my final semester in one of my attainable dream cars was not something I would have thought possible 5 years ago when I started.

Still gotta make the drive out on Sunday for grad pics and then on May 6th for graduation but this is the last commute.

How’s everyone been? I’ve been taking things chill lately due to fasting for Ramadan, don’t wanna exert too much effort when I can’t drink water and stuff, but hoping to get back to the gym for the first time in ages after it’s over and also get serious about applying to jobs.

Monday night I had the chance to take the :meata: to its first Orlando Roadsters meet under my ownership. 5/7 group of people. Had a class conflicting with the meet time ever since I bought the car but it was cancelled this week so I went.
Congrats on graduation, man! That is an awesome feeling. I was pretty :sad: about splitting up with my roommates and friends at the end of it, but the sense of accomplishment and relief is real.

You're into computer science, right? You should have no problem getting gainful employment I imagine.

How have you liked the NC for fairly long commutes/DD duty? I've had this crazy idea of late of offing the BMW for an NC. It seems like of the Miatas it has the best space for someone my size/for DD useage, and we have the :jeep: when we need something bigger. It would be less than I could get for the Beemah and I could ride it out for a year or until whenever we have :baby: if that works out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:18 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:38 am

So you are Ron Swanson? Hating the gov with a fiery passion while also scoring your dough from it? :impressive: :lolol:
Pretty much. I am very cynical on the whole thing; the gov has their tentacles in everything oil gas and chemical so deeply you are working for them in some fashion either way. I'm just getting paid till i can retire. :aintcare: about anything more than that.

I do fully acknowledge the irony of my disdain for the government and that they fairly directly are responsible for my paycheck through a few shell corporations. Most people cannot or will not do this.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I work for a small "startup" auto dealer SaaS subsidiary within a massive data company. My group in particular is responsible for new products that make up most of our subsidiary growth, which is some of the strongest growth in the larger corp. Pressure is high, but demand for our products actually increases when times get tough for dealers. Our hardest times have been the last few years as dealers didn't see value in what we do when cars sell themselves, and we've already seen some increases in subscribers due to the industry starting to shift back to normal.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Small rant here.

So the donate a dollar to whatever cause thing at cash registers for the grocery store and target and whatever. It always bothered me because the company gets to say they donated / raised so much money but they contributed jack shit. Just to make them look good. I never donate to that sort of thing but I do donate to causes I support individually.

At work yesterday they’re raising money for a food drive. Last day to donate and we are a little bit away from $3k for the organization. VP asks how much. “Oh a couple hundred? I’ll cover that!” In front of the whole department.

1) wow must be nice your huge salary can support that. Mine is stretched thinner.
2) this is all so the company gets to say they give back to the community and look better on JD Power studies

Donated $20 to get on the “good employee” list. This is the 3rd time this year for something like this.
ChrisoftheNorth

adoob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 am About to make my last commute to UCF for classes at 8:30 this morning. Feels good. To think I’d be commuting all of my final semester in one of my attainable dream cars was not something I would have thought possible 5 years ago when I started.

:nice: Congrats man!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:42 am Small rant here.

So the donate a dollar to whatever cause thing at cash registers for the grocery store and target and whatever. It always bothered me because the company gets to say they donated / raised so much money but they contributed jack shit. Just to make them look good. I never donate to that sort of thing but I do donate to causes I support individually.

At work yesterday they’re raising money for a food drive. Last day to donate and we are a little bit away from $3k for the organization. VP asks how much. “Oh a couple hundred? I’ll cover that!” In front of the whole department.

1) wow must be nice your huge salary can support that. Mine is stretched thinner.
2) this is all so the company gets to say they give back to the community and look better on JD Power studies

Donated $20 to get on the “good employee” list. This is the 3rd time this year for something like this.
I hear you on this, and agree 100%. I basically never donate the "would you like to donate $1/$2 to the X-fund" at grocery stores/McPukes, etc. Sick Kids Hospital gets an annual lump sum, and lately I've donated Canadian Blood Services and have another booked appointment lined up for mid-May. All these middle companies that feel they should manage our change for greater good can polish a knob.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Congrats adoob, that's a mighty feat and one that stays with you forever! :carlton:
ChrisoftheNorth

What bothers me more about store POS donations is you don't know for sure that every dollar actually goes to the charity. So the store probably takes some % cut as an "administrative fee" or some shit and then what's left is a free charitable contribution that they can probably use to offset tax obligations. Seems entirely scammy to me, so I never participate.

Forced corp giving is even more :disgust: The car companies worked with United Way, and part of onboarding setting up your paycheck was a form to designate a % of POST TAX pay to go to United Way directly. I put 0% down, and got in some shit with HR. They said I "had to put something" and I said "0 is something, I'd rather donate to my own chosen charities". That got me put on the bad list where they forced me to go to a presentation at the United Way office in downtown Detroit. Took up 2 floors in one of the fanciest renovated buildings downtown that must cost a fortune. The office itself was crazy fancy, fancier than I worked in and all I could think of was how much of auto industry employee money was going to support all this crap that did NOTHING to actually help people. I'm sure United Way execs get major money from this, and I'm all about helping people, but I'm not about DONATING to help the rich get richer.

So at the end I was presented with the same form I put 0% on as before, and put 0% down again. HR fortunately gave up after that, but I'm sure I was on a bad list still.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am

What bothers me more about store POS donations is you don't know for sure that every dollar actually goes to the charity. So the store probably takes some % cut as an "administrative fee" or some shit and then what's left is a free charitable contribution that they can probably use to offset tax obligations. Seems entirely scammy to me, so I never participate.

Forced corp giving is even more :disgust: The car companies worked with United Way, and part of onboarding setting up your paycheck was a form to designate a % of POST TAX pay to go to United Way directly. I put 0% down, and got in some shit with HR. They said I "had to put something" and I said "0 is something, I'd rather donate to my own chosen charities". That got me put on the bad list where they forced me to go to a presentation at the United Way office in downtown Detroit. Took up 2 floors in one of the fanciest renovated buildings downtown that must cost a fortune. The office itself was crazy fancy, fancier than I worked in and all I could think of was how much of auto industry employee money was going to support all this crap that did NOTHING to actually help people. I'm sure United Way execs get major money from this, and I'm all about helping people, but I'm not about DONATING to help the rich get richer.

So at the end I was presented with the same form I put 0% on as before, and put 0% down again. HR fortunately gave up after that, but I'm sure I was on a bad list still.
We have that too. I think I opted to donate $5 per paycheck or something.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 am

Oh wow, AND there's other things on top of it? :disgust:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 am

Yeah. United way was pushed HARD by HR and company execs. Then managers brought it up in every team meeting for like a month. Then we had a separate meeting because “participation was too low.” So hence the $5/pay to get my name off the bad list.

The other thing they want is for every employee to log any volunteer hours for anything you do through the company portal. The org you work with can get some nominal donation from the company based on how many hours you work. They push that hard too.

It’s odd to me. Let my time be my time. I don’t choose to do things on my personal time to make my company look better. Because again they had nothing to do with it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Yea, sorry, I don't participate in any of that shit either. My total tax rate is something like 40% when its all said and done (was closer to 50% in LA) and I just dont have the disposable income for your charity. I'll do whatever philanthropic activities I want to do/donate too.
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am That got me put on the bad list where they forced me to go to a presentation at the United Way office in downtown Detroit. Took up 2 floors in one of the fanciest renovated buildings downtown that must cost a fortune. The office itself was crazy fancy, fancier than I worked in and all I could think of was how much of auto industry employee money was going to support all this crap that did NOTHING to actually help people. I'm sure United Way execs get major money from this, and I'm all about helping people, but I'm not about DONATING to help the rich get richer.

I'm sure there are people with pure intentions doing united way stuff, but as a whole that organization can go suck a fat one. Also, there is absolutely zero chance I'm donating to charity through work. Its nothing but admin fees and shell corps to distort the real profit and loss of the company. This kind of shit is how the super rich get away with not paying taxes. That 5k a plate fancy dinner "for charity?" Yea bud that 100% tax deduct and the 'charity' spend a huge chunk of your 'donation' on the actual event.

I'm at work to work. I do things in exchange for money. I won't be giving to their prefered 'charity'. This goes for my time too, not that I've been asked, but I'm not going to 'work' on a day off to pick up litter, build a habitat house, etc etc. Now, if you let me 'work' to do that...maybe. No way in hell on a saturday tho.
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:46 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:43 am

North VA is bad, DC is really bad. Just recently, this one person honked at this one person because the light is green, mind you it was a friendly tap and the dude in front got out and shot him. Not to mention, we have a lot of diversity from other countries whose stuck in their habits like my dad did when he was teaching me how to drive via learners permit. Tailgating used to be normal for him :lol: Also I've noticed more people in DC are running red lights now.

I bet y'all imagine if I live anywhere else thats more relaxed than DC, NY, LA, etc, and still have road rage rant, I'd probably have issues.

I almost rear ended an uber one time in DC cause the uber cut me off and stopped abruptly just to drop some :mahtroy: off who told me to relax after I laid my horn, like consider yourself lucky that I was paying attention otherwise I may have run your ass over due to the :amir: uber.

Also my :tits: is quite an aggressive driver too, to the point her horn on her fiesta stopped working.
Man, if people are occasionally shooting at each other when they horn blasted, I'd consider reviewing my driving habits and try to be a bit more :aintcare: , or better yet implement some defensive driving tactics. I used to have a crotch rocket when I was in my early 20s, to save on insurance rates I took a defensive riding course that was really helpful in all driving conditions and has saved me on a few occasions. Do you guys have those offered in the DC area? Either that or bulletproof glass inserts on the Accord :lolol:
Wouldn't be a surprise if DC does. As far as bad parts in DC, I'll just relax and be patient cause people in those areas are either crazy or :aintcare: so I'll try to not look like a fool for no reason. Typically im very punctual and time sensitive so I don't usually drive like :stig: for running late.

If I don't have any defensive driving skills I would've been screwed in Istanbul. There was one time in my GTI where I almost got into a pile-up and swiftly switched a lane to avoid it and back end did kick out a little, but countersteered back, I was super swift and it was a natural reaction for me. I also did not expect the rear kick out as well.

I am signed up for a bmw driving school following weekend after this weekend in Crang-ville aka North New Jersey/NYC "suburbs". Im gonna be driving an M2C, will take my gopro with me
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:41 am

Yea, sorry, I don't participate in any of that shit either. My total tax rate is something like 40% when its all said and done (was closer to 50% in LA) and I just dont have the disposable income for your charity. I'll do whatever philanthropic activities I want to do/donate too.
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am That got me put on the bad list where they forced me to go to a presentation at the United Way office in downtown Detroit. Took up 2 floors in one of the fanciest renovated buildings downtown that must cost a fortune. The office itself was crazy fancy, fancier than I worked in and all I could think of was how much of auto industry employee money was going to support all this crap that did NOTHING to actually help people. I'm sure United Way execs get major money from this, and I'm all about helping people, but I'm not about DONATING to help the rich get richer.

I'm sure there are people with pure intentions doing united way stuff, but as a whole that organization can go suck a fat one. Also, there is absolutely zero chance I'm donating to charity through work. Its nothing but admin fees and shell corps to distort the real profit and loss of the company. This kind of shit is how the super rich get away with not paying taxes. That 5k a plate fancy dinner "for charity?" Yea bud that 100% tax deduct and the 'charity' spend a huge chunk of your 'donation' on the actual event.

I'm at work to work. I do things in exchange for money. I won't be giving to their prefered 'charity'. This goes for my time too, not that I've been asked, but I'm not going to 'work' on a day off to pick up litter, build a habitat house, etc etc. Now, if you let me 'work' to do that...maybe. No way in hell on a saturday tho.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:

Don't get me wrong, I like the CONCEPT of United Way. I'm sure there's people there that actually do good work. But the entire thing just seems like a rich get richer shell game scheme, supported by the dollars of general workers (many who don't really have the disposable income to give much, but do anyway out of pressure) and that's just wrong.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:34 am
Yeah. United way was pushed HARD by HR and company execs. Then managers brought it up in every team meeting for like a month. Then we had a separate meeting because “participation was too low.” So hence the $5/pay to get my name off the bad list.

The other thing they want is for every employee to log any volunteer hours for anything you do through the company portal. The org you work with can get some nominal donation from the company based on how many hours you work. They push that hard too.

It’s odd to me. Let my time be my time. I don’t choose to do things on my personal time to make my company look better. Because again they had nothing to do with it.
Wow, I didn't realize the United Way thing was so widespread, I thought it was just an old school car company thing.

My new company doesn't do any of that. There's company wide giving initiatives where the last one our CEO matched dollar for dollar unlimited for children's cancer, and he shaved his head if we hit $20k after his match (we did), but the only pressure was to see the CEO shave his head, nothing more. It's entirely up to the individual to participate or not ZFG. This is how it should be.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Today is super slow at the hotel today, and have enough dfd time
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

All :dat:

One company I worked for pretty fresh out of school we were actually more or less forced to give money to the CEO for a 50th birthday gift! They sent him to SKip Barber or some shit like that (we were a production company in the racing/NASCAR biz). So I was making $35K/year and working 60-90 hour weeks with two days off/month (worked almost every weekend). Literally single digits $/hour when all was said and done. Then I'm expected to give money to this rich ass fuck so he can go to racing school? Something I would've killed to do but was obviously way too poor. I was livid.

Wife and I actually do donate some time/money to various things, but I put a lot of research into it and we want to do that for things WE care about, not our employers.

That said, my employer doesn't ask for any of that shit - we have done some volunteering stuff with work from time to time but it's generally during work hours, so it's :notbad: IMO. I enjoy a break from work for something different. My wife works for a private school and they make them donate to the 'Trinity Fund' (Trinity is the school) which provides scholarships to kids. Kinda meh but the school does do very good work and it's frowned upon to not donate. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:14 pm Whats good everyone ? How are all of your employers fairing ? We're seeing so much pain on the horizon... also market is such a shit show!

On this topic, I'm actually :notsure: what to do with our employee stock buying program. We have an opportunity to buy discounted stock. It seems like a no brainer as it's discounted and can be sold more or less immediately if desired, but it seems holding for 18 months is beneficial for tax purposes. :notsure: how much risk to take on with this given the market and whatnot.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:31 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:14 pm Whats good everyone ? How are all of your employers fairing ? We're seeing so much pain on the horizon... also market is such a shit show!

On this topic, I'm actually :notsure: what to do with our employee stock buying program. We have an opportunity to buy discounted stock. It seems like a no brainer as it's discounted and can be sold more or less immediately if desired, but it seems holding for 18 months is beneficial for tax purposes. :notsure: how much risk to take on with this given the market and whatnot.
Well the way most of these work you can just buy and sell immediately and bank on your discounted %.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 am

Wow, I didn't realize the United Way thing was so widespread, I thought it was just an old school car company thing.

My new company doesn't do any of that. There's company wide giving initiatives where the last one our CEO matched dollar for dollar unlimited for children's cancer, and he shaved his head if we hit $20k after his match (we did), but the only pressure was to see the CEO shave his head, nothing more. It's entirely up to the individual to participate or not ZFG. This is how it should be.
We had the same situation with them when I worked at the railroad back in the 80's, so it ain't new by any means. I'm actually surprised they're still getting away with their shenanigan's. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Hey 'Doob, when is the Eid?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.