OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:02 pm Hello my dudes!
Made it to Happy Valley Saturday morning. Still waiting on our shit to show up from the moving company. Luckily we loaded my car to the gills, so we have enough to be comfortable for a week or two.
:ohdang: you ended up using a moving company afterall?
We did.. but that ended up being a whole shit show that I still have to work out.

Apparently the company I booked through was a broker. This was not told to me or represented anywhere on the quote that I could easily find. So our initial quote was $2900 for all of our furniture and a rough first guesstimate of 50 medium sized boxes. We were told we’d get a call 2-3 days before our move to verify the exact number of boxes, etc. Call never came, day before the move I called like “yo, are we still on?” lady who answered the phone was super short with me and just said “the truck will show up between 9am and noon tomorrow, then hung up the phone before I could ask about our actual number of boxes/items (closer to 75 since we used more smaller boxes and had random miscellaneous stuff that couldn’t be easily boxed).

Truck and the guy that runs the final number shows up the next day, he goes, “whoa this is way more than what you were quoted, your quote was for 390 (I think, I’ll have to check that again) cubic feet, and this is easily 1000cuft.” Okay whatever, lead the truck and we can calculate the cubic footage. They finish loading, close the door and drive off, then dude come to me (he drove separate) and says “yeah that was 1200 cuft, your new cost is $7200.” I didn’t have any way of checking that since the truck had fucking left, so I paid half. Whenever the truck shows up, I’ll verify the footage used, and make my case for paying less than $7200. They literally just used a 26’ uhaul, branding and everything still on it, so I know the width (8.1’) and height (8.25’). So based on those numbers they better be 18’ deep to get 1200 cubic feet. I’ll give them that they can’t go exactly to ceiling or wall to wall since stuff is irregularly shaped, and give them the 66.825 sqft, then I’ll measure how far out from the back wall we are and make my case.

The other miscommunication thing was that the broker made it sound like after packing our shit they were pounding the pavement up to Oregon. Nope. Truck is sitting somewhere for the next 7-14 days while they wait to see if they can combine our shipment with someone else’s. Pretty fucking pissed. But whatever. It’ll get here when it gets here, and I’ll work out the space used and cost at that time.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:17 pm
We did.. but that ended up being a whole shit show that I still have to work out.

Apparently the company I booked through was a broker. This was not told to me or represented anywhere on the quote that I could easily find. So our initial quote was $2900 for all of our furniture and a rough first guesstimate of 50 medium sized boxes. We were told we’d get a call 2-3 days before our move to verify the exact number of boxes, etc. Call never came, day before the move I called like “yo, are we still on?” lady who answered the phone was super short with me and just said “the truck will show up between 9am and noon tomorrow, then hung up the phone before I could ask about our actual number of boxes/items (closer to 75 since we used more smaller boxes and had random miscellaneous stuff that couldn’t be easily boxed).

Truck and the guy that runs the final number shows up the next day, he goes, “whoa this is way more than what you were quoted, your quote was for 390 (I think, I’ll have to check that again) cubic feet, and this is easily 1000cuft.” Okay whatever, lead the truck and we can calculate the cubic footage. They finish loading, close the door and drive off, then dude come to me (he drove separate) and says “yeah that was 1200 cuft, your new cost is $7200.” I didn’t have any way of checking that since the truck had fucking left, so I paid half. Whenever the truck shows up, I’ll verify the footage used, and make my case for paying less than $7200. They literally just used a 26’ uhaul, branding and everything still on it, so I know the width (8.1’) and height (8.25’). So based on those numbers they better be 18’ deep to get 1200 cubic feet. I’ll give them that they can’t go exactly to ceiling or wall to wall since stuff is irregularly shaped, and give them the 66.825 sqft, then I’ll measure how far out from the back wall we are and make my case.

The other miscommunication thing was that the broker made it sound like after packing our shit they were pounding the pavement up to Oregon. Nope. Truck is sitting somewhere for the next 7-14 days while they wait to see if they can combine our shipment with someone else’s. Pretty fucking pissed. But whatever. It’ll get here when it gets here, and I’ll work out the space used and cost at that time.
Oh dude. This sounds absolutely terrible. Bait and switch type shit. Where'd you find the broker?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:26 pm

Oh dude. This sounds absolutely terrible. Bait and switch type shit. Where'd you find the broker?
Buddy had gotten a quote from them for his upcoming move and recommended them to me. Looked them up online and they had good reviews, none of which mentioned them being a broker that I saw, so not sure if people are just unaware when a different comp at shows up to load their shit, or if we just got a particularly shady company grabbing ours that pushed me to look into it deeper.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:26 pm
Buddy had gotten a quote from them for his upcoming move and recommended them to me. Looked them up online and they had good reviews, none of which mentioned them being a broker that I saw, so not sure if people are just unaware when a different comp at shows up to load their shit, or if we just got a particularly shady company grabbing ours that pushed me to look into it deeper.
I wonder if they weren't actually a broker, but had too much work and contracted some other dudes to help...hence the UHaul.

Amazon did something similar in Detroit as they were rolling out their own delivery vans. They'd contract people to deliver for them, and we'd see Uhaul, Enterprise, and etc commercial rental vans running around delivering packages.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:35 pm

I wonder if they weren't actually a broker, but had too much work and contracted some other dudes to help...hence the UHaul.

Amazon did something similar in Detroit as they were rolling out their own delivery vans. They'd contract people to deliver for them, and we'd see Uhaul, Enterprise, and etc commercial rental vans running around delivering packages.
Oh you may be on to something.. the guy I called with the company who actually picked up our shot just asked who brokered the move, so that made me think they were just a broker, but yeah they probably just outsourced this one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Made it to Happy Valley Saturday morning. Still waiting on our shit to show up from the moving company. Luckily we loaded my car to the gills, so we have enough to be comfortable for a week or two.
Welcome to Oregon, man! Hopefully you showed up just in time for the weather to start getting nice. Now time to buy a steel road bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We still have these mixed in with the Amazon branded vans, usually some Jalopy Chrysler Town and Cuntry or something.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:40 pm
Welcome to Oregon, man! Hopefully you showed up just in time for the weather to start getting nice. Now time to buy a steel road bike.
Haha we’ve gotten rain every day so far, Sunday it was on and off pretty hard and even got some hail yesterday. I may grab a mtn bike at some point to do that with my buddy, but I don’t see myself getting a road bike and doing any real riding here with the weather. That opinion may change come summer though.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Oh you may be on to something.. the guy I called with the company who actually picked up our shot just asked who brokered the move, so that made me think they were just a broker, but yeah they probably just outsourced this one.
Yep, sounds like an outsourced job. :ohwell: you're stuff will get there, and your approach to square away the amount is strong.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:48 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Yep, sounds like an outsourced job. :ohwell: you're stuff will get there, and your approach to square away the amount is strong.
Yeah only thing I’m really worried about is my record collection. Have some pretty rare/valuable pieces in there. Wish I’d had room in my car to take them with me. But oh well. That’s what insurance is for I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:48 pm
Yeah only thing I’m really worried about is my record collection. Have some pretty rare/valuable pieces in there. Wish I’d had room in my car to take them with me. But oh well. That’s what insurance is for I guess.
Fingers crossed that it all works out OK and your stuff arrives safe and sound man! That is stressful. At least it's probably sitting in a pretty mild climate in CA so the records should hold up OK.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:56 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Fingers crossed that it all works out OK and your stuff arrives safe and sound man! That is stressful. At least it's probably sitting in a pretty mild climate in CA so the records should hold up OK.
If they're packed tightly and sealed, they'll be just fine.

Bleh, moving blows.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm

:lolol: is SHE taking the thing apart and looking at it?

:nope: :whocares:
She doesn't even collapse cardboard boxes to keep recycling bins from overflowing. When it comes to house shit, she's 100% :nope:
must be a chick thing. Cant get my wife to do this either for the trash
Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:25 pm
datgrundle wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:50 pm
Go look at some :tits:

Usually helps Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm up to date, really enjoy everything TY!

I'm not going to unload all my problems, but rental water tanks are not my biggest problem RN 😕
CHIN UP DUDE
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

That sounds absolutely awful. Good luck. I hope you used a credit card; if they continue to jerk you around use the cards consumer protections.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:32 pm must be a chick thing. Cant get my wife to do this either for the trash
Definitely. Mine just stacks boxes up next to the door. Apparently breaking them down is really hard, so I do it :aintcare:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:32 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:34 pm

She doesn't even collapse cardboard boxes to keep recycling bins from overflowing. When it comes to house shit, she's 100% :nope:
must be a chick thing. Cant get my wife to do this either for the trash
Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:25 pm
I'm up to date, really enjoy everything TY!

I'm not going to unload all my problems, but rental water tanks are not my biggest problem RN 😕
CHIN UP DUDE
Thanks broseph...

Yeah definitely a chick thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I also break down all boxes in my house.

The city of Charlotte doesn't recycle any cardboard other than individual flat pieces. I see so many people's bins loaded with full boxes still containing Styrofoam and other shit :triggered: They are doing more harm than good. If you're too lazy to break it down, just throw it away.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Or maybe order less :bs: you don't need.

:disgust:
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:35 pm

That sounds absolutely awful. Good luck. I hope you used a credit card; if they continue to jerk you around use the cards consumer protections.
Another annoying part. I put the deposit with the original company on a credit card, and was told I could pay the balance on the card when they came to pick up our shit. Dude refused the credit card and said cash, cashiers check, or Venmo only. :dafuq:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea dude … unfortunately if you look back I pointed out that the cost you got was way too cheap. It sucks that it happened due to some sort of broker fuck up :-/

Moving is notoriously expensive and especially now… rule of thumb is roughly 2-3x what it would cost you to do it yourself
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah:
Glad it went well. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dang, should have read this before my previous post.
:rage: that sounds shitty. Good idea to get actual measurements of your stuff while still on the truck. Take pics, too, showing how many feet went unused.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:27 pm

Yea dude … unfortunately if you look back I pointed out that the cost you got was way too cheap. It sucks that it happened due to some sort of broker fuck up :-/

Moving is notoriously expensive and especially now… rule of thumb is roughly 2-3x what it would cost you to do it yourself
:word: we knew it’d go up from the $2900, but $7,200 is unreasonable IMO. Luckily we have the basis for the price at $4.25/cuft, so it will hopefully be easy to get them to charge me an honest price and not just some guy telling me it took up 1200cuft.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:06 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:35 pm

Another annoying part. I put the deposit with the original company on a credit card, and was told I could pay the balance on the card when they came to pick up our shit. Dude refused the credit card and said cash, cashiers check, or Venmo only. :dafuq:
Dang that sucks. might be able to fight for deposit at least.

You are a huge dude, on the unload, once your shit is off the truck, tell them credit card or fuck off with nothing till this is settled. Its not like they will load your shit back on the truck.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:59 pm I also break down all boxes in my house.

The city of Charlotte doesn't recycle any cardboard other than individual flat pieces. I see so many people's bins loaded with full boxes still containing Styrofoam and other shit :triggered: They are doing more harm than good. If you're too lazy to break it down, just throw it away.
Recycling paper is prob worse for the environment than new. Boxes = paper = trees = carbon sink because you have to farm new trees, since everyone seems so worried about c02. Tons of fuel and human effort to move, sort, and process *literal trash* into *checks notes* paper thats not even as good as new.

Cardboard is a good occasion to remember the first to R's, reduce and REUSE.
brain go brrrrrr