Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:04 am
Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:48 am

It's a service being offered to cucks.

Also, cleaning the exchanger is probably a good idea like once every half decade.
I dunno...$99/3 mos? You're paying ~$4k for a water heater (assuming a 10 year life span). Pricey, but that's canadian bucks and in theory you don't have to deal with anything as long as you make your payments.
It's way too much, at least double what it costs to replace. We are going to grow into the Greater Toronto Area mecca and the first thing they plan to do is drop pipes from water treatment plants in the next one to two years, then they'll start building new subdivisions all around me.

I was going to wait until we switch over water sources and then buy a new water heater for under $2k. I can probably just go ahead with it this year TBH, just didn't want to dump 2k at it RN
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Renting a water heater?
They’re like $500 and easy to replace DIY.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:14 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:36 am
:disgust:

This is why I don't participate in home warranty scams, and personally wouldn't sign up for a rental plan or anything like that. "Professionals" rarely know more than I can learn in a day, and generally have zero urgency or consideration for customer service. "Peace of mind" is replaced with :rage: pretty fast when things go wrong.
Yeah, I'm with you. Home warranty is a big shit crock. Our realtor (who is a good friend of mine... but fuck realtors) insisted we get one in our contract. Allegedly 'paid by the seller' but that's $700 or whatever we could've just put towards the house and not wasted money. I attempted to make a few claims in the year we had it, all of which miraculously weren't covered.

Self insuring is really the way, I won't ever buy a warranty not from a manufacturer, and even those I really will only deal with whatever is included initially.
The people we sold our last house to used a realtor that GAVE THEM a one year home warranty out of her commission. It was kind of nice because the buyers didn't really get that in depth with inspection stuff. I imagine it creates a lot of loyalty for her, and she probably gets a kick back from the warranty company when people renew after the year is up.

But that house was so old, I can't imagine a warranty covering much of anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:37 am Renting a water heater?
Mine runs on gas and costs 1400 all in to swap (2011 pricing), but we have hard water, so the people that owned our house before us decided that it wasn't worth the hassle I guess.

We are getting lake water soon, i was waiting for the change before installing a new unit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:27 am
Mine runs on gas and costs 1400 all in to swap (2011 pricing), but we have hard water, so the people that owned our house before us decided that it wasn't worth the hassle I guess.

We are getting lake water soon, i was waiting for the change before installing a new unit.
Do you have a water softener?

Even city water can be hard sometimes. It could help a number of things, including the water heater.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hello, we’re calling you about your home’s extended warranty.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Is it an on demand unit or a tank?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

razr390 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:56 am Hello, we’re calling you about your home’s extended warranty.
:iswydt:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:14 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:36 am
:disgust:

This is why I don't participate in home warranty scams, and personally wouldn't sign up for a rental plan or anything like that. "Professionals" rarely know more than I can learn in a day, and generally have zero urgency or consideration for customer service. "Peace of mind" is replaced with :rage: pretty fast when things go wrong.
Yeah, I'm with you. Home warranty is a big shit crock. Our realtor (who is a good friend of mine... but fuck realtors) insisted we get one in our contract. Allegedly 'paid by the seller' but that's $700 or whatever we could've just put towards the house and not wasted money. I attempted to make a few claims in the year we had it, all of which miraculously weren't covered.

Self insuring is really the way, I won't ever buy a warranty not from a manufacturer, and even those I really will only deal with whatever is included initially.
I would typically agree with you on most homes. But ours is quite large and is a mix of new(er) and vv old, its been mostly worth it. Also nice being in new city I didn't have to find my own contractors. Now that we have been here a minute, this is less a concern.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 am

Even city water can be hard sometimes. It could help a number of things, including the water heater.
Yep got one running, i throw salt pellets into it and they seem to get consumed at an appropriate rate, so I guess it works. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:30 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 am

Yep got one running, i throw salt pellets into it and they seem to get consumed at an appropriate rate, so I guess it works. :iono:
:lolol: That's how I treat mine.

Then one day it started making a racket, and my buddy (who owns a water treatment company) sent out a dude to take a look at it. The problem was simple, but he said that the programming of the unit was out of whack and it was consuming too much salt for our water quality. He tweaked it, and now I have to throw pellets into it less frequently, and the water still seems fine so :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:53 am
Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:30 am

Then one day it started making a racket, and my buddy (who owns a water treatment company) sent out a dude to take a look at it. The problem was simple, but he said that the programming of the unit was out of whack and it was consuming too much salt for our water quality. He tweaked it, and now I have to throw pellets into it less frequently, and the water still seems fine so :iono:
Mine does a backwash to chip the mineral buildup off of the valves, every now and again I makes fucked up hissing sounds. I think there's buildup on the valves so :whocares: . I may pay someone to look at it eventually, but for now I'll leave it alone, and/or possibly open it up and soak inner components in vinegar when things start to get sketchy. I just can't care more than that, I might be broken or something. Wife says I'm dead inside at time... She's possibly kind of right.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 pm

Mine does a backwash to chip the mineral buildup off of the valves, every now and again I makes fucked up hissing sounds. I think there's buildup on the valves so :whocares: . I may pay someone to look at it eventually, but for now I'll leave it alone, and/or possibly open it up and soak inner components in vinegar when things start to get sketchy. I just can't care more than that, I might be broken or something. Wife says I'm dead inside at time... She's possibly kind of right.
I know those feels 100%.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:lolol: is SHE taking the thing apart and looking at it?

:nope: :whocares:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:55 pm
:impressive: I've always wondered about these situations as we've looked at some major projects in the past and the numbers never added up. I could never figure out how to pay the mortgage, reno costs, AND rent somewhere else. Seems like an extremely :waxer: proposition, but I guess I'm just poor or just don't have the financial family support many count on.

:ohwell: :aintcare:

Sounds like they have the resources to make it happen, and good for them they'll end up paying less than $500k for a $600k+ house done exactly how they want it. :notbad:
:lolol: I can assure you they are poorer than you are. I suspect they will basically just find the cheapest, shittiest apartment possible and not do anything throughout the year that costs money. I will get some more details from my buddy when I see him 1:1. I think he had over $100K cash in hand from selling his townhouse and as mentioned, they are both pretty :scrooge: so probably each had some cash saved up as well. I imagine there is a way to wrap some of the reno cost into the mortgage and/or do a rather low down payment and spend the cash on hand on the project. Hopefully they are at least locking in at a decent interest rate.

I can't help but think he's kind of making a bad call :doe: , he had a townhouse he bought for like $120K 10 years ago and the mortgage that goes with that, like $600 or something. His GF refused to move into the place because "she didn't like it" and now he is in this position, they are co-owning this house but it's primarily financed by him and his townhouse profits.

That said, if the market does this forever, I guess it's not a bad move, I'm sure they'll keep the house for a long time to come as long as the relationship works out. It will probably appreciate faster than his townhouse, it's a single family and in a much more desirable area.

Call me old fashioned but I just don't think I would buy a house with someone I wasn't married to.
:findsejectionhandles:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Whoa whoa whoa. So much soul crushing estrogen up in here today.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:20 pm

:lolol: I can assure you they are poorer than you are. I suspect they will basically just find the cheapest, shittiest apartment possible and not do anything throughout the year that costs money. I will get some more details from my buddy when I see him 1:1. I think he had over $100K cash in hand from selling his townhouse and as mentioned, they are both pretty :scrooge: so probably each had some cash saved up as well. I imagine there is a way to wrap some of the reno cost into the mortgage and/or do a rather low down payment and spend the cash on hand on the project. Hopefully they are at least locking in at a decent interest rate.

I can't help but think he's kind of making a bad call :doe: , he had a townhouse he bought for like $120K 10 years ago and the mortgage that goes with that, like $600 or something. His GF refused to move into the place because "she didn't like it" and now he is in this position, they are co-owning this house but it's primarily financed by him and his townhouse profits.

That said, if the market does this forever, I guess it's not a bad move, I'm sure they'll keep the house for a long time to come as long as the relationship works out. It will probably appreciate faster than his townhouse, it's a single family and in a much more desirable area.

Call me old fashioned but I just don't think I would buy a house with someone I wasn't married to.
:findsejectionhandles:
To be fair it was a very meh place, but I mostly agree. He likely should’ve drawn line in sand but I think he wanted out as well deep down.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:08 pm

And that's different from other days how? It's life now...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm

She doesn't even collapse cardboard boxes to keep recycling bins from overflowing. When it comes to house shit, she's 100% :nope:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:08 pm

That's all I've got today 😄
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Tar wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:08 pm Whoa whoa whoa. So much soul crushing estrogen up in here today.
That's all I've got today Image
Go look at some :tits:

Usually helps Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

datgrundle wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:50 pm
Tar wrote:
That's all I've got today Image
Go look at some :tits:

Usually helps Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm up to date, really enjoy everything TY!

I'm not going to unload all my problems, but rental water tanks are not my biggest problem RN 😕
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Hello my dudes!
Made it to Happy Valley Saturday morning. Still waiting on our shit to show up from the moving company. Luckily we loaded my car to the gills, so we have enough to be comfortable for a week or two.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm

She doesn't even collapse cardboard boxes to keep recycling bins from overflowing. When it comes to house shit, she's 100% :nope:
:triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:02 pm Hello my dudes!
Made it to Happy Valley Saturday morning. Still waiting on our shit to show up from the moving company. Luckily we loaded my car to the gills, so we have enough to be comfortable for a week or two.
:ohdang: you ended up using a moving company afterall?