Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:28 pm Recently I sort of have the Corvette wants again as well :lolol:
That's a virus that never goes away. Corvaids?

Every time I see a C7... :megusta: Want
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:12 pm
My beef is primarily with sport versions that take away a number of your + items. All of which I agree with BTW.

The ship has sailed, these are the future for all those reasons. People have spoken, and once again I'm :wrong:
Are you :wrong: :doe: as you've joined the masses in the SUVs ? seems like you're :right: as you're appreciating the very aspects that make them great.
:dat:

4R, many Wronglers, etc.

I agree with Chris though, I think I like my stupid :jeep: more than a pedestrian CUV, but I'd probably trade it for a 500 HP CUV because :lolol: factor.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:28 pm Recently I sort of have the Corvette wants again as well :lolol:

I'm sure I'll own another one day. If they offered a :manuel: in the C8 I would probably be hard core aspiring to own one. It's basically a reliable Ferrari 458 that no one will care about all that much (which is somewhat a benefit in my book).
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:38 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:21 pm

Are you :wrong: :doe: as you've joined the masses in the SUVs ? seems like you're :right: as you're appreciating the very aspects that make them great.
:dat:

4R, many Wronglers, etc.

I agree with Chris though, I think I like my stupid :jeep: more than a pedestrian CUV, but I'd probably trade it for a 500 HP CUV because :lolol: factor.
They're just one trick ponys. I drove some SRTs and TH WKs when I worked at Stellanus, and the things were loud and :lolol: but got horrific MPG, were pretty rough over bad roads (an intern DESTROYED the wheel on an SRT hitting a pothole), and just made the entire thing feel :butwhy: I guess it's :lolol: because of what it is, but overall I have zero interest in owning one. I'd much rather have the 4R and an actual sporty car.

Even a 392 Wrangler is almost too sketchy to be fun. My LT1 powered CJ7 was a deathtrap. SUVs are best for ZFG :aintcare: driving IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:40 pm

I'm sure I'll own another one day. If they offered a :manuel: in the C8 I would probably be hard core aspiring to own one. It's basically a reliable Ferrari 458 that no one will care about all that much (which is somewhat a benefit in my book).
For some reason, I just don't get that into C8's. I think they're over-styled, and not in a good way. The tech is cool and the MR layout obviously is :mindblown: but for me, pinnacle Corvette is the C7. A C7 GS :manuel: in Sebring Whorange :megusta: :jimp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 pm

For some reason, I just don't get that into C8's. I think they're over-styled, and not in a good way. The tech is cool and the MR layout obviously is :mindblown: but for me, pinnacle Corvette is the C7. A C7 GS :manuel: in Sebring Whorange :megusta: :jimp:
I agree that the C7 looks better. C8 looks cool/fine but it’s certainly not high in my hierarchy of Corvettes from a styling perspective. I do covet mid engine though, and I don’t think I’m rich enough to ever own a Porsche. Not really any other options out there, I should’ve bought a Lotus a few years ago.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 pm
I agree that the C7 looks better. C8 looks cool/fine but it’s certainly not high in my hierarchy of Corvettes from a styling perspective. I do covet mid engine though, and I don’t think I’m rich enough to ever own a Porsche. Not really any other options out there, I should’ve bought a Lotus a few years ago.
C7 is mid engine though (just in the front :trollface: )

But seriously, I think C5-7 vettes are incredibly well balanced handlers because of how far back the engine is. Mid engine rear just helps put more power down in this case. Corvettes don't need more power, mine was basically stock C6 LS3 power, and it was ample. I've driven a number of C7s and feel they're incredibly well balanced with handling and power.

But obviously, the engine in the rear has more :amaze: at Cars and Coffee.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:24 pm

But seriously, I think C5-7 vettes are incredibly well balanced handlers because of how far back the engine is. Mid engine rear just helps put more power down in this case. Corvettes don't need more power, mine was basically stock C6 LS3 power, and it was ample. I've driven a number of C7s and feel they're incredibly well balanced with handling and power.

For me it's more trying something new. I have like 25 days of track experience in the C5. A C7 is just a nicer version of the same thing. Engine behind me would be a new challenge to learn, a new dance partner if you will. I drove an Elise on track and a Cayman on canyon roads and both were pretty amazing, but I really don't have the level of experience to know if it's for me or whatever. I may one day own a mid engine car and then go back and say the FR format is just as good. Even tracking the BMW a bit has been fun as it drives a little different than the C5, but it's more the same than not. It's basically just a slower version with a bit easier to control oversteer at the limit once it has a square set of tires on it.

From a measurable performance perspective, the front engine Corvettes are pretty nuts, I was faster than most in my POS C5. I find the mid engine Corvette desirable because it's the first mid engine that I could realistically own at some point - no insane maintenance schedules or need to keep miles off or any of the other :bs: from Porsches and Ferraris and stuff.

:iono: maybe I could get an Evora at some point, but I think the others are out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

re: vette: Gears made that car amazing. I loved driving Alan's, and setting FTD at the autox in it ;)

People be telling me I should ls swap the miata, LOL NOPE. If I wanted a corvette....I'd buy one. Its a cool swap and all but a c5 or c6 with 4.10's that has enough interior removed to de-rattle trap it is basically like a miata x1.25

re: lotus: I just made this cmment myself the other night. I should have got an elise over beemer, id either still have it or made money on it vs loosing epic ass lol
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:50 pm

re: vette: Gears made that car amazing. I loved driving Alan's, and setting FTD at the autox in it ;)

People be telling me I should ls swap the miata, LOL NOPE. If I wanted a corvette....I'd buy one. Its a cool swap and all but a c5 or c6 with 4.10's that has enough interior removed to de-rattle trap it is basically like a miata x1.25

re: lotus: I just made this cmment myself the other night. I should have got an elise over beemer, id either still have it or made money on it vs loosing epic ass lol
I will never ever understand LS swapping Miatas. The cost is more than a C5, and the C5 still has the transmission in a better place.

But yea, C5s with 4.10's are just fantastic :lolol: machines. Add in high flowing heads and a higher duration cam that likes to rev with the valvetrain to support 6,8-7k redline and it's like a different car. Supercar levels I imagine.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:46 pm

For me it's more trying something new. I have like 25 days of track experience in the C5. A C7 is just a nicer version of the same thing. Engine behind me would be a new challenge to learn, a new dance partner if you will. I drove an Elise on track and a Cayman on canyon roads and both were pretty amazing, but I really don't have the level of experience to know if it's for me or whatever. I may one day own a mid engine car and then go back and say the FR format is just as good. Even tracking the BMW a bit has been fun as it drives a little different than the C5, but it's more the same than not. It's basically just a slower version with a bit easier to control oversteer at the limit once it has a square set of tires on it.

From a measurable performance perspective, the front engine Corvettes are pretty nuts, I was faster than most in my POS C5. I find the mid engine Corvette desirable because it's the first mid engine that I could realistically own at some point - no insane maintenance schedules or need to keep miles off or any of the other :bs: from Porsches and Ferraris and stuff.

:iono: maybe I could get an Evora at some point, but I think the others are out.
Yea, I get that. An Evora would be the :tits: IMO.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

If love that too. Aspiring for a mid-engine :manuel: , but if that's not attainable then I'm good with a V8 :manuel: with RWD. :doge: is not building V8s past this year, orders are at like 260 days.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:33 am
wap wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:53 pm Max, have you considered an F Pace?
I feel like we’re not old enough to be jag owners but they are nice
:wat:
Looks like you'd be in the 2nd biggest age demographic...
<t>How old are the F Pace owners?</t>
<t>18-29</t> Votes: 7 5.5%
<t>36-40</t> Votes: 12 9.4%
<t>30-35</t> Votes: 8 6.3%
<t>41-45</t> Votes: 19 15.0%
<t>46-50</t> Votes: 19 15.0%
<t>51-55</t> Votes: 23 18.1%
<t>56-60</t> Votes: 13 10.2%
<t>61-65</t> Votes: 12 9.4%
<t>66-70</t> Votes: 7 5.5%
<t>71- and above</t>Votes: 7 5.5%

From an F Pace forum so not exactly :science: , but interesting
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:55 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:33 am

I feel like we’re not old enough to be jag owners but they are nice

:wat: am I missing....

only 20% of customers are under 40....
60% are over 50 and forums skew younger... Jags are piloted by :wap:
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:55 pm

:wat: am I missing....

only 20% of customers are under 40....
60% are over 50
You said you didn't think you'd be old enough to own a Jag, implying that they're primarily owned by olds, yet the demographic chart I posted shows that you'd be in the second most common age demo.

Or did I misunderstand your comment?
wap

I thought you were already 40. :derp:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 pm I thought you were already 40. :derp:
:yikes: :nope: still a bit away
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 pm I thought you were already 40. :derp:
40's are fine. Don't sweat it when it comes.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 pm

I'm 3 years away, pretty much :aintcare:

The weird thing is in the last year I've started feeling old, so 40+ will be :aintcare:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I can't afford the swap to 4.10s right now so if y'all could flip the narrative and say they're shit I'd appreciate it
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:11 am I can't afford the swap to 4.10s right now so if y'all could flip the narrative and say they're shit I'd appreciate it
I drove Alan's 4.10 equipped C5. It was terrible.

:trollface: that has to be one of the better mods to a C5, but also very expensive.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:52 am
wap wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:30 pm

I'm 3 years away, pretty much :aintcare:

The weird thing is in the last year I've started feeling old, so 40+ will be :aintcare:
That may be more mental than physical for you, :doe: , sorry to say.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:11 am I can't afford the swap to 4.10s right now so if y'all could flip the narrative and say they're shit I'd appreciate it
Sorry to tell you my dude but its the best money you can spend on that plastic fantastic.
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:30 am
Sorry to tell you my dude but its the best money you can spend on that plastic fantastic.
Surprise clutch and ac compressor replacement sucked up the suspension+gears fund
ChrisoftheNorth

I'll say this.

4.10's are the best mod you can do to a C5 in terms of fun driving.

BUT

They're expensive to do and notoriously difficult to set up properly. Alan sent his to the THE guy to set these diffs up and still ended up with gear whine. I took mine to a shop that "does these all the time" and it turned out fine, though there was still a bit more gear whine than stock. I bet if I hammered on the car more, the whine would have gotten louder, just as Alan's did. Shops have an easy out blaming "improper break-in" which is impossible to prove.

So, there's almost a guaranteed NVH hit (gear whine) and if the job is really borked, there could be long term durability issues if you drive it hard.