OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:20 pm

:lolol: I can assure you they are poorer than you are. I suspect they will basically just find the cheapest, shittiest apartment possible and not do anything throughout the year that costs money. I will get some more details from my buddy when I see him 1:1. I think he had over $100K cash in hand from selling his townhouse and as mentioned, they are both pretty :scrooge: so probably each had some cash saved up as well. I imagine there is a way to wrap some of the reno cost into the mortgage and/or do a rather low down payment and spend the cash on hand on the project. Hopefully they are at least locking in at a decent interest rate.

I can't help but think he's kind of making a bad call :doe: , he had a townhouse he bought for like $120K 10 years ago and the mortgage that goes with that, like $600 or something. His GF refused to move into the place because "she didn't like it" and now he is in this position, they are co-owning this house but it's primarily financed by him and his townhouse profits.

That said, if the market does this forever, I guess it's not a bad move, I'm sure they'll keep the house for a long time to come as long as the relationship works out. It will probably appreciate faster than his townhouse, it's a single family and in a much more desirable area.

Call me old fashioned but I just don't think I would buy a house with someone I wasn't married to.
:impressive: :scrooge:

I'm with you, 0/7 would I buy a house with someone I wasn't married to. I'd be buying it ONLY for myself and if the other wanted to go along, then fine. Not that I think marriage is the only option, but there needs to be some sort of financial commitment between the two people that marriage really helps facilitate.

This project will strain ANY relationship, sadly it'll be a feat if they're still together when it's all done. Hopefully they make it, or the market keeps going nuts so he can flip it.
Yeah, I don't have any super connection to marriage from a religious sense or whatever, but things become pretty entangled financially with a house/reno project. Since it will be in both of their names but it's 90% his cash, he will get pretty fucked if things don't work out.

Hopefully all will be fine, there's no reason to think they won't be. She is cool and a good person, she's certainly not trying to get the once over on him or anything like that, just seems like a lot of stress to deal with. Hell, I would say the year leading up to getting married and also purchasing a house was the worst for my wife and I's relationship out of the six we've been together. Three before that were good and the two married have been good other than the pandemic and associated :bs: , but I think we have both been glad to have each other through all of that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:35 pm
:impressive: :scrooge:

I'm with you, 0/7 would I buy a house with someone I wasn't married to. I'd be buying it ONLY for myself and if the other wanted to go along, then fine. Not that I think marriage is the only option, but there needs to be some sort of financial commitment between the two people that marriage really helps facilitate.

This project will strain ANY relationship, sadly it'll be a feat if they're still together when it's all done. Hopefully they make it, or the market keeps going nuts so he can flip it.
Yeah, I don't have any super connection to marriage from a religious sense or whatever, but things become pretty entangled financially with a house/reno project. Since it will be in both of their names but it's 90% his cash, he will get pretty fucked if things don't work out.

Hopefully all will be fine, there's no reason to think they won't be. She is cool and a good person, she's certainly not trying to get the once over on him or anything like that, just seems like a lot of stress to deal with. Hell, I would say the year leading up to getting married and also purchasing a house was the worst for my wife and I's relationship out of the six we've been together. Three before that were good and the two married have been good other than the pandemic and associated :bs: , but I think we have both been glad to have each other through all of that.
There could not be a more stressful situation for a relationshit IMO. If they make it through this, they'll be together forever.

A to the studs reno while living in a :scrooge: apt will be insanely trying. Especially from the chick, I'm sure. Patience will wear really thin when the cabinets are backordered, tile is wrong, budget is maxed, and work is months behind.

Godspeed. No way in hell would I take something like this on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:29 am

On your point about the hot water heater, I'm currently renting one for about $30/month... Was going to replace it and have done that for $1400 at my last place. The ROI through rental savings is about 4 yrs, so I should really consider doing that soon. If I did it right when we moved in I'd be one year of payments away from having it paid for by now. I don't know current pricing, did pandemic shortages bump the price significantly? :iono: It's got to be one of the least exciting purchases on anyone's list :doe:
ok, how do you 'rent' a water heater?!?!? Is this some weird Canadian thing?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:20 pm

Call me old fashioned but I just don't think I would buy a house with someone I wasn't married to.
Gotta at least be engaged and have a prenup about the house $$ if funds/labor is that one sided.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:23 pm

On your point about the hot water heater, I'm currently renting one for about $30/month... Was going to replace it and have done that for $1400 at my last place. The ROI through rental savings is about 4 yrs, so I should really consider doing that soon. If I did it right when we moved in I'd be one year of payments away from having it paid for by now. I don't know current pricing, did pandemic shortages bump the price significantly? :iono: It's got to be one of the least exciting purchases on anyone's list :doe:
My guess is instead of paying $2k or whatever to pay a plumber to install a new one, you just pay some monthly fee forever and they maintain and replace it as needed. I've never heard of it, but I also haven't talked to professional plumbers about water heaters (here, it's probably a $10k job).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:26 pm

My guess is instead of paying $2k or whatever to pay a plumber to install a new one, you just pay some monthly fee forever and they maintain and replace it as needed. I've never heard of it, but I also haven't talked to professional plumbers about water heaters (here, it's probably a $10k job).

thats insane for a R&R. my decently nice WH is 600 at home depot. its not in a PITA spot, its like 2 guys for 2 hours tops, figure labor is like 700 tops. I maintained my home warranty so chalk that up in the W column for this year.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: I assume it's like an Aaron's type :dill:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Yeah I replaced my WH myself last year for about 800 bucks. Biggest pain was getting it in and out since those fuckers are heavy. Pretty simple though, standard gas hookup with new valve and sediment trap, sharkbites to water lines and its done.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 pm

thats insane for a R&R. my decently nice WH is 600 at home depot. its not in a PITA spot, its like 2 guys for 2 hours tops, figure labor is like 700 tops. I maintained my home warranty so chalk that up in the W column for this year.
I have no idea because I never called anyone, but the quotes we've been getting for work lately have been hilariously high.

$100k to redo the 400sq ft kitchen and tiling 100 sq ft of hallway (no plumbing, electrical or appliances, just flooring, cabinets, and counters)

$80k to reside the tower (about the size of a single story bungalow) with cement board

$15k to PAINT the tower

$5k to replace 400 sq ft of roof above the front door with asphalt shingles (that I have)

It's absolutely insane. This is what it's like living in a :waxer: area that pushed out any reasonably priced housing I guess. I imagine Vail, Jackson Hole, Tahoe, etc are similar.

I'm just going to do as much as I can on my own. Hence the water heater. I'll be doing the kitchen myself too. I may have to learn roofing.
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:01 pm Yeah I replaced my WH myself last year for about 800 bucks. Biggest pain was getting it in and out since those fuckers are heavy. Pretty simple though, standard gas hookup with new valve and sediment trap, sharkbites to water lines and its done.
:dat:

Moving the new one in the box wasn't too bad. But the old one?!? We had a squat wide one, it was impossible to strap to the dolly. I ended up getting it outside and rolling it to the dumpster.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:28 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:35 pm

I have no idea because I never called anyone, but the quotes we've been getting for work lately have been hilariously high.

$100k to redo the 400sq ft kitchen and tiling 100 sq ft of hallway (no plumbing, electrical or appliances, just flooring, cabinets, and counters)

$80k to reside the tower (about the size of a single story bungalow) with cement board

$15k to PAINT the tower

$5k to replace 400 sq ft of roof above the front door with asphalt shingles (that I have)

It's absolutely insane. This is what it's like living in a :waxer: area that pushed out any reasonably priced housing I guess. I imagine Vail, Jackson Hole, Tahoe, etc are similar.

I'm just going to do as much as I can on my own. Hence the water heater. I'll be doing the kitchen myself too. I may have to learn roofing.
Sounds about right. People gotta get a "living wage" and everyone is rich now so.... here it is.

I got quotes of 2k to mow my hill...
Couldn't get anyone to come out and fix a torn exhaust thing on the roof... They wouldn't come out since its essentially a $15 part... and they need to get a 5k job to eat.

Updating the house is insanely expensive... so that's why I painted my own fireplace the other day... and repainted the whole house... $500 per room WAS the quote like 3 years ago. It's probably triple that now... :oops:

If and when WFH will stop... it'll likely force me to get "Help" as I can't work full time and then do house shit all the time. It gets old. :disgust:

Undocumented at the local HomeDepot won't look at you unless you're $30 an hr + and they can be scketchy AF
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:28 pm

$15k to PAINT the tower

Sounds about right. People gotta get a "living wage" and everyone is rich now so.... here it is.

Couldn't get anyone to come out and fix a torn exhaust thing on the roof... They wouldn't come out since its essentially a $15 part... and they need to get a 5k job to eat.

Updating the house is insanely expensive... so that's why I painted my own fireplace the other day... and repainted the whole house... $500 per room WAS the quote like 3 years ago. It's probably triple that now... :oops:

If and when WFH will stop... it'll likely force me to get "Help" as I can't work full time and then do house shit all the time. It gets old. :disgust:

Undocumented at the local HomeDepot won't look at you unless you're $30 an hr + and they can be scketchy AF
Just crazy how fast all this happened. This time last year, we had our roof dug out and replaced and a huge exposed aggregate concrete patio and concrete sidewalk poured for $20k. Absolute bargain.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:40 pm

Just crazy how fast all this happened. This time last year, we had our roof dug out and replaced and a huge exposed aggregate concrete patio and concrete sidewalk poured for $20k. Absolute bargain.
Yea inflation really went :fullretard: right around sep 21 to now... The weird part is that people ARE WILLING AND ABLE to pay the upcharge. And that's the part I don't understand. If someone is asking these prices someone is paying. And there doesn't seem to be an end in sight...
Last edited by max225 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm
Yea inflation really went :fullretard: right around sep to now... The weird part is that people ARE WILLING AND ABLE to pay the uncharge. And that's the part I don't understand. If someone is asking these prices someone is paying.
Agreed. That's what :mindblown: me the most. Contractors providing me these insane quotes also claim to be booked 6-9 months out. So they clearly have the work lined up, unless it's all a :bs: sales tactic.

It makes zero sense how much cash people have to throw around. Or is it loans somehow? I don't get it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

No idea, it came with the :haus: , i own the furnace, A/C and shit..... just get a $99 bill ever three months and pay it :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

On the topic of house shit, is there any maintenance required with an HVAC system? Ours seems to be newer and works well. Other than keeping a clean filter in there, is there anything I should be doing to avoid the $12K replacement bill for longer?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:36 pm

No idea, it came with the :haus: , i own the furnace, A/C and shit..... just get a $99 bill ever three months and pay it :lolol:
well...ok then :iono:
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:54 am On the topic of house shit, is there any maintenance required with an HVAC system? Ours seems to be newer and works well. Other than keeping a clean filter in there, is there anything I should be doing to avoid the $12K replacement bill for longer?
Yes. Clean outside coil seasonally using the hose. lower pressure, higher flow, just enough to dislodge the dust. You can pay an ac guy like 100 to come do this and do a general system check, alot of times they can find small problems and fix them before they become big one. Like start up caps going bad and whatnot that degrade compressor life. This is something I can do myself but pay people to do.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:34 am
Tar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:36 pm

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:54 am On the topic of house shit, is there any maintenance required with an HVAC system? Ours seems to be newer and works well. Other than keeping a clean filter in there, is there anything I should be doing to avoid the $12K replacement bill for longer?
Yes. Clean outside coil seasonally using the hose. lower pressure, higher flow, just enough to dislodge the dust. You can pay an ac guy like 100 to come do this and do a general system check, alot of times they can find small problems and fix them before they become big one. Like start up caps going bad and whatnot that degrade compressor life. This is something I can do myself but pay people to do.
It's a service being offered to cucks.

Also, cleaning the exchanger is probably a good idea like once every half decade.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:48 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:34 am

Also, cleaning the exchanger is probably a good idea like once every half decade.
I dunno...$99/3 mos? You're paying ~$4k for a water heater (assuming a 10 year life span). Pricey, but that's canadian bucks and in theory you don't have to deal with anything as long as you make your payments.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:lol:

Shocking more DFD'ers dont know about it then, or maybe most of the soyboi cucks left? :iono: :ohwell:
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:04 am
I dunno...$99/3 mos? You're paying ~$4k for a water heater (assuming a 10 year life span). Pricey, but that's canadian bucks and in theory you don't have to deal with anything as long as you make your payments.
yea, and i bet like the freaking home warranty shit they will have 'to make a determination' in 3 business days, then the company will 'have to order it'.

I'm having to manually turn on the hot water at the tank for 5 days now. :rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:25 am

Shocking more DFD'ers dont know about it then, or maybe most of the soyboi cucks left? :iono: :ohwell:
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:04 am
yea, and i bet like the freaking home warranty shit they will have 'to make a determination' in 3 business days, then the company will 'have to order it'.

I'm having to manually turn on the hot water at the tank for 5 days now. :rolleyes:
:disgust:

This is why I don't participate in home warranty scams, and personally wouldn't sign up for a rental plan or anything like that. "Professionals" rarely know more than I can learn in a day, and generally have zero urgency or consideration for customer service. "Peace of mind" is replaced with :rage: pretty fast when things go wrong.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:36 am

This is why I don't participate in home warranty scams, and personally wouldn't sign up for a rental plan or anything like that. "Professionals" rarely know more than I can learn in a day, and generally have zero urgency or consideration for customer service. "Peace of mind" is replaced with :rage: pretty fast when things go wrong.
yea, with the water heater thing i'll break even again on it this year, but I am having doubts about renewing. My HVAC is old, undersized, and on the struggle bus. Kinda hoping it shits the bed. BUT, if i go through my own contractor, I will have more options for upgrades vs R&R including upsizing capacity, heat pump, or R&R with the strategic addition of some spilt units. :iono: Gotta see how next few months go I guess.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:47 am

yea, with the water heater thing i'll break even again on it this year, but I am having doubts about renewing. My HVAC is old, undersized, and on the struggle bus. Kinda hoping it shits the bed. BUT, if i go through my own contractor, I will have more options for upgrades vs R&R including upsizing capacity, heat pump, or R&R with the strategic addition of some spilt units. :iono: Gotta see how next few months go I guess.
I assume it's just like insurance where they do everything they can to not replace anything, and what they do replace will be the least expensive option ZFG. Right now, I'd be worried that "everything is backordered" will be a common excuse to not do work, so you're paying for something you're not getting. Then like you said, whatever you are getting won't be all that great to make sure you keep renewing the warranty.

Which reminds me, something is wrong with our AC unit. Toward the end of last summer, it was producing coldish warm air. It was installed 8 years ago, it's the cheapest possible unit available at the time, so I'm anticipating a full :waxer: :nuke: if we can get someone to come out and look at it. Luckily, it doesn't get that hot or humid here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:47 am

I assume it's just like insurance where they do everything they can to not replace anything, and what they do replace will be the least expensive option ZFG. Right now, I'd be worried that "everything is backordered" will be a common excuse to not do work, so you're paying for something you're not getting. Then like you said, whatever you are getting won't be all that great to make sure you keep renewing the warranty.

Which reminds me, something is wrong with our AC unit. Toward the end of last summer, it was producing coldish warm air. It was installed 8 years ago, it's the cheapest possible unit available at the time, so I'm anticipating a full :waxer: :nuke: if we can get someone to come out and look at it. Luckily, it doesn't get that hot or humid here.
Yea, you are correct. And they will patch things up for sure. But my AC unit is something like 32 years old. Its r-22. if it has even a hint of a leak at this point the cost to add refrigerant will quickly approach the cost of new stuff.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, I'm with you. Home warranty is a big shit crock. Our realtor (who is a good friend of mine... but fuck realtors) insisted we get one in our contract. Allegedly 'paid by the seller' but that's $700 or whatever we could've just put towards the house and not wasted money. I attempted to make a few claims in the year we had it, all of which miraculously weren't covered.

Self insuring is really the way, I won't ever buy a warranty not from a manufacturer, and even those I really will only deal with whatever is included initially.