OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

datgrundle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea, he really delivered the content. Morbid curiosity makes me wonder where he's at, but that's about it. When he backstabbed Zil, he died to me.
But were we really that surprised that he did that to Zil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll confess, I was kinda surprised. Simply because of the level of 5/7 help that Zil offered, I never thought a founding member of DFD would be that shitty.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

wap wrote:
datgrundle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:32 pm But were we really that surprised that he did that to Zil?

I'll confess, I was kinda surprised. Simply because of the level of 5/7 help that Zil offered, I never thought a founding member of DFD would be that shitty.
I have two things to say about this:

1. I’ve run into so many guys like crang. It’s taken me a long time to see them but the emotional manipulation is weirdly common here in the tri states (imo). Crang saw an opportunity to work a deal with a forum that to him cost nothing. He profited a few hundred for working a forum a bit for info. I don’t think he saw that as anything other than a game that he happened to save some money on.
Is it a shithead move? 100% does Crang see it that way? Yes and he didn’t care. The catch is, some of the people that are like this aren’t that smart and that was the beautiful example in crang. He was actually a true idiot. He read some shitblog about how to get a good car deal and took it to a personal level that burned a bridge with a very good man....

2. Zil.
Z is an example of a good man. Works hard, takes his crafts seriously, treats his friends as family. Z approached this crang situation as a good person should. Assessed that a person he knew had a need, could meet that need and set up a practical solution for that person. In this case said person lied to him about what his goals were and the scenario occurred.

For anyone who hasn’t gone through that thread please read. It is internet gold

adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

What a thread. :mindblown:

I just spent the past 2 hours reading pages 1-20something of it, and the last like 10 pages. I really should find a better use for my time but that thread was like a trainwreck that you just can't look away from

Dude's got some serious issues.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

datgrundle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:51 pm Remember when the :nuke: was that kid on this forum that wouldn’t take our advice on how to fix his Volkswagen?

Grundle remembers.

Not his name though. What was that weirdo’s name?

I kind of miss the days of conversation not about wealth building and the economy.

:ohwell: #thisis30+
wap

datgrundle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:12 am
wap wrote:
I have two things to say about this:

1. I’ve run into so many guys like crang. It’s taken me a long time to see them but the emotional manipulation is weirdly common here in the tri states (imo). Crang saw an opportunity to work a deal with a forum that to him cost nothing. He profited a few hundred for working a forum a bit for info. I don’t think he saw that as anything other than a game that he happened to save some money on.
Is it a shithead move? 100% does Crang see it that way? Yes and he didn’t care. The catch is, some of the people that are like this aren’t that smart and that was the beautiful example in crang. He was actually a true idiot. He read some shitblog about how to get a good car deal and took it to a personal level that burned a bridge with a very good man....

2. Zil.
Z is an example of a good man. Works hard, takes his crafts seriously, treats his friends as family. Z approached this crang situation as a good person should. Assessed that a person he knew had a need, could meet that need and set up a practical solution for that person. In this case said person lied to him about what his goals were and the scenario occurred.

For anyone who hasn’t gone through that thread please read. It is internet gold

:notwrong:
Can't disagree with any of :dat: . Well said.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:09 am
datgrundle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:51 pm Remember when the :nuke: was that kid on this forum that wouldn’t take our advice on how to fix his Volkswagen?

Grundle remembers.

Not his name though. What was that weirdo’s name?

I kind of miss the days of conversation not about wealth building and the economy.

:ohwell: #thisis30+
Agreed.
wap

adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:19 am What a thread. :mindblown:

I just spent the past 2 hours reading pages 1-20something of it, and the last like 10 pages. I really should find a better use for my time but that thread was like a trainwreck that you just can't look away from

It is undeniably compelling reading. It's like a :derp: who's slowly sticking his tongue into an electrical socket while those around him are screaming for him to not :doit: , but he does anyway, very slowly.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:19 am What a thread. :mindblown:

the level of general life skill incompetence was impressive. Crang is probably ABOVE average intelligence too.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:22 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:08 am @Tar ugh i too hate the admin burden of papers in my private life. Its whatever. I still have yet to do my taxes... tax deadline is april 14th. UGH

@d-plac yes, fell you 100% re: the coming reconing. But for 10 years I watched the rat wheel keep turning so I am with you in the 'who tf knows' dept.

@Tar re: property investment, yes, looking into more of this now myself. Gonna be a minor player in the Maryville slumlord game! (not really, all this shit is physically on my actual lot lol)

Speaking of that slumlord life, my hot water heater decided to start leaking last night, YAY! Good thing i was in the basement doing beer stuff. Now that I'll be getting a new one I'll be more ...proactive about changing those sacrificial anodes.
The gov spending game hitting new highs, if you can handle uncomfortably high interest rates it might be a good way to inflation hedge. :iono: ?
or lock in now while you still can......
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:27 am
Tar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:22 am

The gov spending game hitting new highs, if you can handle uncomfortably high interest rates it might be a good way to inflation hedge. :iono: ?
Good point, I wouldn't be able to buy what I own if I were shopping at today's prices. Who knows what kind of inflation awaits us?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:07 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:27 am

Good point, I wouldn't be able to buy what I own if I were shopping at today's prices. Who knows what kind of inflation awaits us?
LOTS.

Not just the increase in the money supply, but every commodity is squeezed to the breaking point it seems.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

and to boss man Griff's point, sure would be fun to talk about something besides how fucked everything is.

My hot water tank started leaking at the house...shit not that.

The miata needs and engine and I have to change it in the driveway...shit not that either...

A small ded tree waits for me to deal with this afternoon while the plumber.... shit im bad at this

I have a ton of good beers to drink this weekend, a colab batch to make at a local brewery, and lots of meat to put on the smoker for friends night Saturday!

Beers: My new coolercuember: all grain edition. Some that I bought.

Meat: smoking a brisket and a pork butt while the smoker is going.

More beer: A local place does a colab with the brew club where they brew on their system and everyone takes home the wort to do with what we please, then we take the beer back to the brewer in a month for an event where the public gets to tryem out. Should be fun!

So i have a pretty full weekend ahead of me. might try to sneak off up the hill to the dragon saturday too, been so busy combined with general winter I have not made a run since January.
brain go brrrrrr
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Big Brain Bradley wrote:and to boss man Griff's point, sure would be fun to talk about something besides how fucked everything is.

The miata needs and engine and I have to change it in the driveway...shit not that either...

A small ded tree waits for me to deal with this afternoon while the plumber.... shit im bad at this

I have a ton of good beers to drink this weekend, a colab batch to make at a local brewery, and lots of meat to put on the smoker for friends night Saturday!

More beer: A local place does a colab with the brew club where they brew on their system and everyone takes home the wort to do with what we please, then we take the beer back to the brewer in a month for an event where the public gets to tryem out. Should be fun!

So i have a pretty full weekend ahead of me. might try to sneak off up the hill to the dragon saturday too, been so busy combined with general winter I have not made a run since January.
You had me at beer Image

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:43 am and to boss man Griff's point, sure would be fun to talk about something besides how fucked everything is.

Yeah man, Dan and I both agree that we're PTSD about the insanity of the last two years. It's been such a shit-show, and I blame bad intentions, but going down that wormhole causes hard feelings. I'm also not even sure how much I can say lately, so I :stfu: and keep my opinions private. I'm always down for a side convo, and value your take on things.

On your point about the hot water heater, I'm currently renting one for about $30/month... Was going to replace it and have done that for $1400 at my last place. The ROI through rental savings is about 4 yrs, so I should really consider doing that soon. If I did it right when we moved in I'd be one year of payments away from having it paid for by now. I don't know current pricing, did pandemic shortages bump the price significantly? :iono: It's got to be one of the least exciting purchases on anyone's list :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dang, sounds like a 5/7 weekend @Brad!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:29 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:43 am and to boss man Griff's point, sure would be fun to talk about something besides how fucked everything is.

Yeah man, Dan and I both agree that we're PTSD about the insanity of the last two years. It's been such a shit-show, and I blame bad intentions, but going down that wormhole causes hard feelings. I'm also not even sure how much I can say lately, so I :stfu: and keep my opinions private. I'm always down for a side convo, and value your take on things.

On your point about the hot water heater, I'm currently renting one for about $30/month... Was going to replace it and have done that for $1400 at my last place. The ROI through rental savings is about 4 yrs, so I should really consider doing that soon. If I did it right when we moved in I'd be one year of payments away from having it paid for by now. I don't know current pricing, did pandemic shortages bump the price significantly? :iono: It's got to be one of the least exciting purchases on anyone's list :doe:
I replaced our water heater last fall. We're on all-electric and the old unit was extremely close to :nuke: :yikes:

I bought a "hybrid" water heater (uses a heat pump and electric elements) for $1,300 from Menard's and installed it myself. The job really isn't rocket science, and I even re-plumbed it all with pex because the old copper was leaking with dead ends that used to go to solar pre-heaters. I also got a $300 fed tax rebate for the upgrade, so the net cost was $1k, plus ~$100 in Pex and fittings.

If you're on electric, I highly recommend a hybrid unit. The only downside is it pumps out cold air with the heat pump running, but the thing is WiFi enabled, so I turned off the heat pump in the winter and set different water temps through the day (it goes down at night) and it's still more efficient and cheaper to run than the old unit. In the summer with the heat pump on, it's crazy cheap AND keeps the room cool/dry. I'll have the thing paid off in energy savings alone within 3 years.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:37 am
Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:29 am

I replaced our water heater last fall. We're on all-electric and the old unit was extremely close to :nuke: :yikes:

I bought a "hybrid" water heater (uses a heat pump and electric elements) for $1,300 from Menard's and installed it myself. The job really isn't rocket science, and I even re-plumbed it all with pex because the old copper was leaking with dead ends that used to go to solar pre-heaters. I also got a $300 fed tax rebate for the upgrade, so the net cost was $1k, plus ~$100 in Pex and fittings.

If you're on electric, I highly recommend a hybrid unit. The only downside is it pumps out cold air with the heat pump running, but the thing is WiFi enabled, so I turned off the heat pump in the winter and set different water temps through the day (it goes down at night) and it's still more efficient and cheaper to run than the old unit. In the summer with the heat pump on, it's crazy cheap AND keeps the room cool/dry. I'll have the thing paid off in energy savings alone within 3 years.
Thanks for sharing that experience, my water heater runs on natural gas, as does my furnace, pool heater, and stove. It's fairly cheap to run natural gas here, and electricity comes at a hefty premium so I'm going to keep it the way it is. I'd pay my usual guy to install and playing with gas lines would be illegal anyways. The fourteen hundo I paid included install (probably 300 of the total price), and some things are worth outsourcing in my world. I'm learning this lesson as I get older and wiser.

My issue with water heaters is my source of water is from a well... And it is a mineral rich mofo, so we're always dealing with calcium buildup on everything. We use a water softener, but I don't know how good that works, and how much crud is building up in the rental unit. Maybe it's a non-issue, but I can just bitch at the rental company and they'll bring a brand new one to my house and replace theirs if a problem arises. Baby steps.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:37 am

Thanks for sharing that experience, my water heater runs on natural gas, as does my furnace, pool heater, and stove. It's fairly cheap to run natural gas here, and electricity comes at a hefty premium so I'm going to keep it the way it is. I'd pay my usual guy to install and playing with gas lines would be illegal anyways. The fourteen hundo I paid included install (probably 300 of the total price), and some things are worth outsourcing in my world. I'm learning this lesson as I get older and wiser.

My issue with water heaters is my source of water is from a well... And it is a mineral rich mofo, so we're always dealing with calcium buildup on everything. We use a water softener, but I don't know how good that works, and how much crud is building up in the rental unit. Maybe it's a non-issue, but I can just bitch at the rental company and they'll bring a brand new one to my house and replace theirs if a problem arises. Baby steps.
I wish mine was gas. 5/7 the way to go. Running a gas line to the water heater is just about impossible, so fortunately progress has been made with electric.

The rental aspect is interesting. Kind of nice to just :aintcare: that thing. Water heaters only last 10-15 years anyway, so renting certainly has benefits and makes decent sense. I probably should have looked into something like that, but we can't find anyone to do any work reasonably, so I just assume I'm doing everything myself.

We're also on a well, but our water is pretty clean. Still, the old unit I pulled out had a bunch of crud in it, so I need to look into annual maintenance or something.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:06 am
Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:54 am

I wish mine was gas. 5/7 the way to go. Running a gas line to the water heater is just about impossible, so fortunately progress has been made with electric.

The rental aspect is interesting. Kind of nice to just :aintcare: that thing. Water heaters only last 10-15 years anyway, so renting certainly has benefits and makes decent sense. I probably should have looked into something like that, but we can't find anyone to do any work reasonably, so I just assume I'm doing everything myself.

We're also on a well, but our water is pretty clean. Still, the old unit I pulled out had a bunch of crud in it, so I need to look into annual maintenance or something.
Right, I know I'll cut my cost in half to a third if I buy my own unit, but it's been difficult to throw $1400+ dollars at anything non-essential/non-enjoyable right now, especially when I take on additional headaches and liability (cost of repairs, maint, etc). I might just keep :aintcare: until I'm not.

The joys of living in a small remote community, Grand Bend is like that too. Finding reliable labor is virtually impossible, and even when I source someone dece, they're so booked up that they can't even commit to follow up calls and quotes. If I moved to a remote community, I would immediately start a contracting business, and spend free time getting certified for gas fitting, electrical and plumbing... I'd probably make insane money servicing those areas with the professionalism I'm accustomed to. It makes me laugh man, there's literally nobody around doing actual work anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:16 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:06 am

Right, I know I'll cut my cost in half to a third if I buy my own unit, but it's been difficult to throw $1400+ dollars at anything non-essential/non-enjoyable right now, especially when I take on additional headaches and liability (cost of repairs, maint, etc). I might just keep :aintcare: until I'm not.

The joys of living in a small remote community, Grand Bend is like that too. Finding reliable labor is virtually impossible, and even when I source someone dece, they're so booked up that they can't even commit to follow up calls and quotes. If I moved to a remote community, I would immediately start a contracting business, and spend free time getting certified for gas fitting, electrical and plumbing... I'd probably make insane money servicing those areas with the professionalism I'm accustomed to. It makes me laugh man, there's literally nobody around doing actual work anymore.
If I was younger, I'd very seriously consider starting a handyman service. Like you said, get certified in plumbing, electrical, etc and then plan work well, show up, and get work done, and I'd make a killing. Nobody can do those things here. And those that can are astronomically priced.

But you can't count on anyone other than yourself, so scaling the business would be impossible.

We just had dudes come out to look at residing the tower, and they said they MIGHT be able to do it for $80k. What in the actual fuck? FOR SIDING something about the size of a large shed?!? I want to start getting quotes on just tearing the stupid thing down, but wife isn't on board. Maybe just let it rot away.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:22 am

If I was younger, I'd very seriously consider starting a handyman service. Like you said, get certified in plumbing, electrical, etc and then plan work well, show up, and get work done, and I'd make a killing. Nobody can do those things here. And those that can are astronomically priced.

But you can't count on anyone other than yourself, so scaling the business would be impossible.

We just had dudes come out to look at residing the tower, and they said they MIGHT be able to do it for $80k. What in the actual fuck? FOR SIDING something about the size of a large shed?!? I want to start getting quotes on just tearing the stupid thing down, but wife isn't on board. Maybe just let it rot away.
Oh my god, 80k for siding is anarchy. Glad they figured out how to use a nail gun, but still. Guess you're learning a new skill this summer 😜
wap

:wtf:
My WHOLE :haus: cost almost a quarter that ($23k iirc) a few years ago to side it with cedar stained on all 6 sides with a 25 year warranty.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:52 am

:wtf:
My WHOLE :haus: cost almost a quarter that ($23k iirc) a few years ago to side it with cedar stained on all 6 sides with a 25 year warranty.
Yea, no shit. Inflation plus nobody wanting to work means contractors are just shooting for the moon. I haven't gotten a quote for any work that's less than $40k. Absolute insanity. Like I said, I'm ready to just tear the fucking tower down.

Very likely comes from our geographic area. Not only is our city :waxer: but our neighborhood is the :waxer: of the :waxer: so I think contractors assume we are as well and the sky is the limit. Our next door neighbors bought their house in 2019 for $400k. Didn't do a thing to it, barely even came to it, and sold it last month for $900k.

But our house is less than half the size, and weird as hell, so it can't sustain the kind of investment contractors are coming at us with. It's already probably close to upside down despite property value increases. Big houses have gone to the moon. Small houses like ours don't really exist. The best thing we could do for resale is spend $100-$150k building a house on top of the existing house (treat it like a basement) and double the square footage. That $150k would turn into $500k right now. But we don't need that space, the house is perfect for us as-is.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I'd be weary of a heavy capital outlay on house shit... especially in areas that used to be "cheap" at moonshot prices. Unless you have a plan to stay there for at least 5+ years. Then it makes sense to enjoy it all.
Last edited by max225 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

Damn, the world is :fullretard: right now.