Northern 4R Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:06 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:28 pm

Yea Toyota stereos aren't the best... Even the JBL in my taco was eh... but it was workable and I just didn't give enough of a F to mess with it even though stereos are actually semi important to me.

I did hear good things about OEM + So you may want to give that a go. However usually it goes beyond just speakers In my experience... its a rabbit hole of "sound deadening, amps, head units etc" once you start you can't stop... and then you're stuck with a $4k stereo... :butwhy:

That said if $795 doesn't bother you that's the route I'd go.
Also :notwrong: Amps make a bigger difference than speakers often times... Even a head unit with built in amp from a decent company would probably sound a lot better. Still, I'd start with speakers if anything, changing out a head unit on a modern vehicle... :nope:
I know amps and HU make the biggest difference, but amps require running wires through firewalls, tapping into the battery, running new speaker wire, just adding a lot of work for :notsure: benefit to me. I don't need the audio to be concert quality (I don't believe that's even possible aftermarket, I don't care what anyone says).

NFW am I going to change the HU, because I actually find it to be rather :notbad: overall. I prefer it to the unit in the Cucktrek, and it's probably nearly on par with the 8" UConnect we had in our JL.

If it bothers me enough, I may try changing out the speakers. Even that isn't appealing at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:06 am

Also :notwrong: Amps make a bigger difference than speakers often times... Even a head unit with built in amp from a decent company would probably sound a lot better. Still, I'd start with speakers if anything, changing out a head unit on a modern vehicle... :nope:
I know amps and HU make the biggest difference, but amps require running wires through firewalls, tapping into the battery, running new speaker wire, just adding a lot of work for :notsure: benefit to me. I don't need the audio to be concert quality (I don't believe that's even possible aftermarket, I don't care what anyone says).

NFW am I going to change the HU, because I actually find it to be rather :notbad: overall. I prefer it to the unit in the Cucktrek, and it's probably nearly on par with the 8" UConnect we had in our JL.

If it bothers me enough, I may try changing out the speakers. Even that isn't appealing at all.
As An AUdiO enGIneER ( :trollface: ), I agree. A car is a terrible acoustic environment. As you know, OEMs employ people to determine things like speaker placement/count and they do this for a reason. Even the best components, while they can certainly create a :fuckyeah: system, won't make it into a studio control room or home theater.

:popcorn: :doe:

I actually may do audio in a GR86 or something if I get one, since I think I'd hold onto it for a while and it sounds kind of fun after years away from it, but it's certainly diminishing returns.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Speaking of :| car audio, the Blue Meanie came with the base HU, which means smaller screen, no subwoofer, no brain/CD player in the glove box, and not even an AUX input. This :triggered: me almost as much as not having a compass. I assume I have a commensurately lame BCM. I REALLY want a CD player in my car. Yeah, yeah, I'm a :wap: but I sometimes really like to pop in a CD and listen to the whole thing in order, the way the artist intended.

I assume it would be more trouble than it's worth to swap out this whole poverty system for the system found in the SE line. I'm willing to spend some drachmas to pay for all the parts and labor to make this happen, but I would absolutely not want to attempt it myself. I'd even spring for the proper sharkfin to get my compass activated. Is it even possible to pay someone to do all this? Who would that be? I believe there is a thread on this on the Dead Zone, but I am NOT gonna pay some rando forumbro but :notsure: /doubt any :dillerman: would be willing to do this.

Thoughts? Should I just give up thinking about it?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:00 pm Speaking of :| car audio, the Blue Meanie came with the base HU, which means smaller screen, no subwoofer, no brain/CD player in the glove box, and not even an AUX input. This :triggered: me almost as much as not having a compass. I assume I have a commensurately lame BCM. I REALLY want a CD player in my car. Yeah, yeah, I'm a :wap: but I sometimes really like to pop in a CD and listen to the whole thing in order, the way the artist intended.

I assume it would be more trouble than it's worth to swap out this whole poverty system for the system found in the SE line. I'm willing to spend some drachmas to pay for all the parts and labor to make this happen, but I would absolutely not want to attempt it myself. I'd even spring for the proper sharkfin to get my compass activated. Is it even possible to pay someone to do all this? Who would that be? I believe there is a thread on this on the Dead Zone, but I am NOT gonna pay some rando forumbro but :notsure: /doubt any :dillerman: would be willing to do this.

If you're not willing to do this yourself, I wouldn't bother. A :dillerman: will likely destroy you in hourly rate, and any audio shop will rather rip out all the OEM stuff and just go aftermarket because it's simpler to install for them. MAYBE an independent shop that specializes in VW work could make it happen if there was one you liked?

The biggest question is the integration of the headunit into the vehicle systems and getting everything to speak the same language. It may be plug and play, which would be a great first step, but no clue if there's VAG COM or whatever tuning that could be required to make it work. Especially the compass, if you need to replace the antenna, there's a good chance it would also require additional wiring, which would be dropping the headliner at minimum possibly. Quite a bit of tear up, I'm afraid.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:00 pm Speaking of :| car audio, the Blue Meanie came with the base HU, which means smaller screen, no subwoofer, no brain/CD player in the glove box, and not even an AUX input. This :triggered: me almost as much as not having a compass. I assume I have a commensurately lame BCM. I REALLY want a CD player in my car. Yeah, yeah, I'm a :wap: but I sometimes really like to pop in a CD and listen to the whole thing in order, the way the artist intended.

If you're not willing to do this yourself, I wouldn't bother. A :dillerman: will likely destroy you in hourly rate, and any audio shop will rather rip out all the OEM stuff and just go aftermarket because it's simpler to install for them. MAYBE an independent shop that specializes in VW work could make it happen if there was one you liked?

The biggest question is the integration of the headunit into the vehicle systems and getting everything to speak the same language. It may be plug and play, which would be a great first step, but no clue if there's VAG COM or whatever tuning that could be required to make it work. Especially the compass, if you need to replace the antenna, there's a good chance it would also require additional wiring, which would be dropping the headliner at minimum possibly. Quite a bit of tear up, I'm afraid.
Yeah, I had all these same concerns myself. I don't really know of any local shop here that specializes in VW, and I don't just want to throw an aftermarket HU in it because I'd lose the steering wheel button functionality. :ohwell: :(
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 pm

Yeah, I had all these same concerns myself. I don't really know of any local shop here that specializes in VW, and I don't just want to throw an aftermarket HU in it because I'd lose the steering wheel button functionality. :ohwell: :(
I view aftermarket as a last resort. An OEM+ upgrade like you described would be the way to go if it's indeed plug and play. That was the case In FCA products, the wiring harness was the same so everything plugged in, the radio just had to be coded to the VIn to make vehicle settings work.

Problem is paying someone to do it, they could just go nuts nickel and diming you labor rates claiming they need to program this that and the other thing.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:36 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:08 pm

I view aftermarket as a last resort. An OEM+ upgrade like you described would be the way to go if it's indeed plug and play. That was the case In FCA products, the wiring harness was the same so everything plugged in, the radio just had to be coded to the VIn to make vehicle settings work.

Problem is paying someone to do it, they could just go nuts nickel and diming you labor rates claiming they need to program this that and the other thing.
No doubt. The required hardware list is pretty long, too.
HU
HU surround frame
New glovebox
New "brain"
New AUX iinput/USB component
Wiring harness(es)
Upgraded BCM (I think)
Plus new sharkfin and attendant wiring if I wanted the compass, which I do.
Other shit I'm unaware of.
ETC

All that on top of labor/coding.

I'm willing to sink a G or maybe 2 into this, but I'm sure it's way more than I likely can afford, pal. Plus finding someone trustworthy to do it is probably impossible.
I should have just bought an SE. :ohwell:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:36 pm

HU
HU surround frame
New glovebox
New "brain"
Wiring harness(es)
Upgraded BCM (I think)
ETC

I'm willing to sink a G or maybe 2 into this, but I'm sure it's way more than I likely can afford, pal. Plus finding someone trustworthy to do it is probably impossible.
Time for a Porsche Ron.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw- ... 5479551080

Or since you say yours doesn't have the disc drive, probably this one:

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw- ... 6051674173
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:56 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:43 pm

HU
HU surround frame
New glovebox
New "brain"
Wiring harness(es)
Upgraded BCM (I think)
ETC

Time for a Porsche Ron.
I'd settle for a 3/4 scale Stinger.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:17 pm

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw- ... 5479551080

Or since you say yours doesn't have the disc drive, probably this one:

https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw- ... 6051674173
Thanks.

Yeah, that second one looks like what I'd need, although it shows 2 different HU styles. So, $2k. Plus, I'd need the inner glove box assembly for $175, and a relocation wiring kit for $160, and coding, and maybe an upgraded BCU which isn't free, and I don't know how much for a new glove box. So at LEAST $2500-$3000, not to mention the pipe dream of getting my compass to work.

Plus labor.
:waxer:

I'd :doit: for, say $2k all in and if I could find a shop I'd trust, but this is clearly nahgonhappen.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 pmThanks.

Yeah, that second one looks like what I'd need, although it shows 2 different HU styles. So, $2k. Plus, I'd need the inner glove box assembly for $175, and a relocation wiring kit for $160, and coding, and maybe an upgraded BCU which isn't free, and I don't know how much for a new glove box. So at LEAST $2500-$3000, not to mention the pipe dream of getting my compass to work.

Plus labor.

I'd :doit: for, say $2k all in and if I could find a shop I'd trust, but this is clearly nahgonhappen.
The 8" glass option appears to be the one you want, but yeah, $2k+ is a huge bill for that upgrade.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:48 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 pmThanks.

Plus labor.

The 8" glass option appears to be the one you want, but yeah, $2k+ is a huge bill for that upgrade.
I'd likely :doit: for $2k all in, but $2-$3 PLUS labor is a :nope: , unfortunately.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Can you play audio off USB? I know the optional CD player for my dad's 300 was a disc drive that plugged into the center console USB...
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 pm Can you play audio off USB? I know the optional CD player for my dad's 300 was a disc drive that plugged into the center console USB...
I'm actually :notsure: . I've been thinking about putting some toons on a thumb drive and plugging it into the USB port to see what happens for :science: . I'll have to try it and report back here. My HU does still have an SD card slot, which I'm happy about as when I do listen to music, it's off an SD card with a couple thousands songs on it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:56 pm

Time for a Porsche Ron.
The new Civic hatch is a 3/4 Stinger/A7.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:03 am
wap wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Fun fact a new accord is longer than a stinger and a civic is a bit shorter than the stinger … new civic is enormous
wap

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:43 am

Fun fact a new accord is longer than a stinger and a civic is a bit shorter than the stinger … new civic is enormous
:dat:
It's a 7/8 Stinger :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:43 am

Civic is still sub 3k pounds which is pretty :impressive:

Definitely big though. I feel like the E36 was a perfect sedan size.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

It seems that the KPOP and Civic are the same length, that's an interesting alternative.
ChrisoftheNorth

So good news on the audio front. Drove Saturday to grab lunch, and spent some time playing with the audio settings. There's an "auto level correct" or some shit that I assume is based on speed? It was at the max setting, so I turned it down to low, and that actually solved quite a bit of the booming mid bass issue. I then played with levels more and found that turning mid to almost min and bass to neutral with treble almost all the way maxed that it sounds decently flat and listenable now. Probably passable enough for now.

Also shifted into 4WD for the first time, and almost thought it was broken because it shifts so quickly and effortlessly. In all my years of manual transfer cases, including the JL/T, they feel like pushing a stick through a box of rocks, and take a lot of effort. The 4R just clicks from 2Hi to 4Hi, almost like it's connected to nothing. Amazing. Such build quality.

The thing has hilarious acceleration in 4Hi with the tires in the snow. Absolutely invincible :megusta:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm So good news on the audio front. Drove Saturday to grab lunch, and spent some time playing with the audio settings. There's an "auto level correct" or some shit that I assume is based on speed? It was at the max setting, so I turned it down to low, and that actually solved quite a bit of the booming mid bass issue. I then played with levels more and found that turning mid to almost min and bass to neutral with treble almost all the way maxed that it sounds decently flat and listenable now. Probably passable enough for now.

Also shifted into 4WD for the first time, and almost thought it was broken because it shifts so quickly and effortlessly. In all my years of manual transfer cases, including the JL/T, they feel like pushing a stick through a box of rocks, and take a lot of effort. The 4R just clicks from 2Hi to 4Hi, almost like it's connected to nothing. Amazing. Such build quality.

The thing has hilarious acceleration in 4Hi with the tires in the snow. Absolutely invincible :megusta:
:fuckyeah:
I use similar settings in the Blue Meanie's un- :impressive: stereo; mid base, very low midrange, and generous treble. Guess that's the secret sauce for :scrooge: systems. :lol:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm So good news on the audio front. Drove Saturday to grab lunch, and spent some time playing with the audio settings. There's an "auto level correct" or some shit that I assume is based on speed? It was at the max setting, so I turned it down to low, and that actually solved quite a bit of the booming mid bass issue. I then played with levels more and found that turning mid to almost min and bass to neutral with treble almost all the way maxed that it sounds decently flat and listenable now. Probably passable enough for now.

:fuckyeah:
I use similar settings in the Blue Meanie's un- :impressive: stereo; mid base, very low midrange, and generous treble. Guess that's the secret sauce for :scrooge: systems. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

And for the :lolol: I got a Carvana quote on the 4R...

That's about what I paid OTD for it without the wheels and tires. :notbad: but still not Cucktrek good.

Cucktrek still isn't on their website. Been 12 days I wonder if they wholesaled it instead?
wap

NVM