OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:47 am My god this thread is a shitshow. Brad, I clicked on one of your links and I have to say, I don’t think you’re anti-science, I just don’t think you understand science at all. Max, that article you just linked doesn’t say what you said. At all.

I post this not to engage with those two really, as I know that is pointless. Just felt like I should say hi and make myself available for anyone who has read the stuff Brad posted or that article Max just did, and wants to have a conversation as to why I said what I just did.
Compared to the 16- to 25-year-old population in which high efficacy was demonstrated, non-inferiority was met for the 6- to 24-month-old population but not for the 2- to under 5-year-old population in this analysis
max225

A study that tests whether a new treatment is not worse than an active treatment it is being compared to. Non-inferiority trials are sometimes done when a placebo (an inactive treatment) cannot be used

Last I checked when looking at the definition of the words
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:12 pm I’m just here for a good time
I'm just here for the gang bang.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Recovery has been 5/7, almost a week in and we have a couple of sore throats and shit, lack of smell and taste is now my wife's top concern. Omicron is the shiz-nizzle.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:50 pm Recovery has been 5/7, almost a week in and we have a couple of sore throats and shit, lack of smell and taste is now my wife's top concern. Omicron is the shiz-nizzle.
They confirmed you had the new new ? Or how do you know you got the other Greek alphabet letter
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:53 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:50 pm Recovery has been 5/7, almost a week in and we have a couple of sore throats and shit, lack of smell and taste is now my wife's top concern. Omicron is the shiz-nizzle.
They confirmed you had the new new ? Or how do you know you got the other Greek alphabet letter
The family doc called us, i guess it was written in her report
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Calvinball wrote:My god this thread is a shitshow. Brad, I clicked on one of your links and I have to say, I don’t think you’re anti-science, I just don’t think you understand science at all. Max, that article you just linked doesn’t say what you said. At all.

I post this not to engage with those two really, as I know that is pointless. Just felt like I should say hi and make myself available for anyone who has read the stuff Brad posted or that article Max just did, and wants to have a conversation as to why I said what I just did.
Internet "arguments" are often "won" by those who have the most time to waste.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:55 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:53 pm

You have a decent doc! We don’t have much of that here.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote:
max225 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:53 pm They confirmed you had the new new ? Or how do you know you got the other Greek alphabet letter
That soros money runs deep!

For real though, glad youre feeling better and on the upswing
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:08 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:55 pm
You have a decent doc! We don’t have much of that here.
The process used to start with a symptomatic person going to a testing center, then a website would update the person with their status. Thankfully, we could just walk into a pharmacy and pick up a self-test and hand it back to them with the form filled out. The report comes back to us, but can also be pulled by the family doctor. The website doesn't show me the variant, but my doctor did call my wife to give her that info. It's nice to have for sure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Omicron seems to be less characterized by a lack of taste and smell, more by cough/runny nose/fatigue.

Here's a great look into just how transmissible it is: https://www.eurosurveillance.org/conten ... 50.2101147

The transmission rate is seriously impressive. Yes, nearly everyone in the case study was vaccinated (but not boosted)... but, it's also worth mentioning that at least up until the end of the study, no hospitalization was necessary. I think there's definitely a strong argument for the vaccines serving as good primers for preparing the immune system to battle Covid.
I think they should let this one go, boost away for sure, but catching the mildest version of the VID might actually help if a serious one comes around in the future. The death of our smell and taste buds is real and very evident, my wife is freaking out today as she reads that it is caused by nerve damage and in some cases never recovers for a small majority of people. She'll be a miserable human if that doesn't come back to her. :yikes:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Omicron seems to be less characterized by a lack of taste and smell, more by cough/runny nose/fatigue.

Here's a great look into just how transmissible it is: https://www.eurosurveillance.org/conten ... 50.2101147

The transmission rate is seriously impressive. Yes, nearly everyone in the case study was vaccinated (but not boosted)... but, it's also worth mentioning that at least up until the end of the study, no hospitalization was necessary. I think there's definitely a strong argument for the vaccines serving as good primers for preparing the immune system to battle Covid.
Some rumors are that Omicron may have been an evolutionary move by the virus to ensure its longevity. It's more likely to survive as a "virus" which is its goal if it is less severe... but for all we know, Omicron could make long term COVID an issue (too early to tell atm).
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:52 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:37 pm

I think they should let this one go, boost away for sure, but catching the mildest version of the VID might actually help if a serious one comes around in the future. The death of our smell and taste buds is real and very evident, my wife is freaking out today as she reads that it is caused by nerve damage and in some cases never recovers for a small majority of people. She'll be a miserable human if that doesn't come back to her. :yikes:
I don't disagree that any actual infection would serve well to boost actual immunity, but having a go at it without at least one vaccine dose seems foolish, especially if older/at risk.

As for sensory loss, I have a friend who argued that some of the sensory loss is not necessarily due to nerve damage, but just increased mucous productions. I'd worry if it persists past 7-10 days.

Also, delta is still circulating, something we shouldn't forget. Local landscape contractor my buddy and I know well and interact with often is currently in the hospital with it. Mid-40s, fit, active, and at least single vaxxed, but unsure of whether he has any underlying conditions. So :iono:
All :dat: , 100% glad to have one under my belt going into it, and yes Delta is still here.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:47 am My god this thread is a shitshow. Brad, I clicked on one of your links and I have to say, I don’t think you’re anti-science, I just don’t think you understand science at all. Max, that article you just linked doesn’t say what you said. At all.

Compared to the 16- to 25-year-old population in which high efficacy was demonstrated, non-inferiority was met for the 6- to 24-month-old population but not for the 2- to under 5-year-old population in this analysis
I did say I didn’t intend to engage with Brad or you, but that was hasty. You at least have shown interest/ability to have a real conversation about things.

Explain to me how the quoted statement translates to Pfizer saying it’s pointless to give 2-5 year olds the vaccine? It didn’t meet non-inferiority compared to the 16-25 year old population. That just means it wasn’t as effective in some way for 2-5 year olds compared to 16-25 year olds who’ve received the vaccine. They don’t give any of the actual data so we have no idea how less effective it was, so it’s a complete assumption that’s it’s “pointless” for that age group to get the vaccine. If anything, if we want to try to make some assumptions, Pfizer is indicating that it is worthwhile for 2-5 year olds since they later state in that article that they are moving forward with research on boosters for that age group. If the vaccine were pointless for 2-5 year olds I doubt they would want to continue spending money on research for that age group.
:therapist:
max225

Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:34 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 pm
I did say I didn’t intend to engage with Brad or you, but that was hasty. You at least have shown interest/ability to have a real conversation about things.

Explain to me how the quoted statement translates to Pfizer saying it’s pointless to give 2-5 year olds the vaccine? It didn’t meet non-inferiority compared to the 16-25 year old population. That just means it wasn’t as effective in some way for 2-5 year olds compared to 16-25 year olds who’ve received the vaccine. They don’t give any of the actual data so we have no idea how less effective it was, so it’s a complete assumption that’s it’s “pointless” for that age group to get the vaccine. If anything, if we want to try to make some assumptions, Pfizer is indicating that it is worthwhile for 2-5 year olds since they later state in that article that they are moving forward with research on boosters for that age group. If the vaccine were pointless for 2-5 year olds I doubt they would want to continue spending money on research for that age group.
I hope you do see the sarcasm/flair that was added to my initial post.

If we wanted to get all serious it seems like Pfizer clearly states that the current dosage is inappropriate and shows insufficient efficacy vs the control group to proceed further.

The simple answer here is to up the amount of “stuff” In the vaccine to increase antibody response as they have significantly lowered the dosage for kids vs adults, from the looks of it too much.

That said whether or kids should get the vaccine is another story. Which I probably won’t dive into here.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah:
It'll be nice to have more real :fax: in here.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My kids had zero problems coping with, or recovering from COVID and both are non-vaxxed. :iono: ?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Oh the almighty Dr Calvin has arrived with his ad hominem and false dichotomy from atop his bandwagon.

or, you know, quote the post so we can discuss the subject of the link if you have real concerns about data quality.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:51 pm My kids had zero problems coping with, or recovering from COVID and both are non-vaxxed. :iono: ?
Oh look, math and data matter. Glad to hear.

Allow me to improve your post.
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:51 pm My kids had zero problems coping with, or recovering from COVID and both are non-vaxxed.
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:51 pm My kids had zero problems coping with, or recovering from COVID and both are non-vaxxed.
Also, how sad and boring is your life if you have time to photoshop my avatar on a sunday I guess one has lots of free time when you #stayhome #staysafe
What a pitiful existence.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:18 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:51 pm My kids had zero problems coping with, or recovering from COVID and both are non-vaxxed. :iono: ?

Also, how sad and boring is your life if you have time to photoshop my avatar on a sunday I guess one has lots of free time when you #stayhome #staysafe
LOL, Brad. I'm sure that all eight active posters/viewers of our car chat forum can't miss it now!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I do hope that more people become aware of omicron's milder then the original characteristics and it beats the stronger strains to it's hosts. I can see it dominating and taking over, and once we've all had this then the people who were fearful of the original strain can stop being so afraid. We won't get back to normal until the fear dissipates, and media can suck :dedong: for perpetuating the fear.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:01 am I do hope that more people become aware of omicron's milder then the original characteristics and it beats the stronger strains to it's hosts. I can see it dominating and taking over, and once we've all had this then the people who were fearful of the original strain can stop being so afraid. We won't get back to normal until the fear dissipates, and media can suck :dedong: for perpetuating the fear.
Yes. but watch out, MUH FREEDUMS and personal responsibility are unpopular around here in the echo chamber.
Someone still got time to fuck around with my info to the left, and not even post about because they are sad impotent authortion chicken shits that can only result to childish power games and bullying vs discussion of issues.

Merry Christmas & take care Tar, et. al with a brain. :micdrop:
brain go brrrrrr
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Is that better or worse than spending your workday on here?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:53 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:01 am I do hope that more people become aware of omicron's milder then the original characteristics and it beats the stronger strains to it's hosts. I can see it dominating and taking over, and once we've all had this then the people who were fearful of the original strain can stop being so afraid. We won't get back to normal until the fear dissipates, and media can suck :dedong: for perpetuating the fear.
Yes. but watch out, MUH FREEDUMS and personal responsibility are unpopular around here in the echo chamber.
Someone still got time to fuck around with my info to the left, and not even post about because they are sad impotent authortion chicken shits that can only result to childish power games and bullying vs discussion of issues.

Merry Christmas & take care Tar, et. al with a brain. :micdrop:
Later gater... Merry Christmas.

Also, you're kind of Captain :trollface: at times, so people are going to target that flamboyancy. Just gotta :aintcare: more.