OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:52 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:41 pm

Tar and I were not even discussing vaccine efficacy (its shit) but potential treatment of him and his family now that they have the covid. Thanks tho Mr Red Herring.

re: your data, its just incomplete; this is called cherry picking by 'the science'. I like that Sept 24th cutoff, right before cases exploded in highly vaxxed countries. Explain triple vaxxed Israel's' death rate. Or Ireland. or Gibraltar, all almost universally vaxxed, far more than what one would need to achieve herd immunity. I'll wait. And don't mention Japan because their rates were always lower than everyone else. Perhaps because of sars-1, or something else. But its puzzling and people are studying them; Tokyo should have been a disaster on par with NYC if the models were right. But no worries; just stay home and stay safe like gov memaw said. No need to think critically, let TV man think for you!
I work with Japanese people a lot, their country is very vaccine hesitant, mainly because they didn't design the product. They are also very responsible in their actions.
I'm sure there will be lots of papers about how or why they didn't get devastated by covid 19. For one, they tend to have general better health. Not overweight. Good diet, active lifestyles, lots of walking, etc. They also smoke a ton and have less lung cancer. Maybe they have robust immune response BECAUSE they live on top of one another? I'll be curious as to what comes out of those studies.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:00 pm Day three and I'm done.. I feel like a million bucks with a bit of phlem in the lungs and a tapering off sore throat. Same shit as both kids.. :notbad:
:fuckyeah:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:01 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:41 pm Tar and I were not even discussing vaccine efficacy (its shit) but potential treatment of him and his family now that they have the covid. Thanks tho Mr Red Herring.

re: your data, its just incomplete; this is called cherry picking by 'the science'. I like that Sept 24th cutoff, right before cases exploded in highly vaxxed countries. Explain triple vaxxed Israel's' death rate. Or Ireland. or Gibraltar, all almost universally vaxxed, far more than what one would need to achieve herd immunity. I'll wait. And don't mention Japan because their rates were always lower than everyone else. Perhaps because of sars-1, or something else. But its puzzling and people are studying them; Tokyo should have been a disaster on par with NYC if the models were right. But no worries; just stay home and stay safe like gov memaw said. No need to think critically, let TV man think for you!
Comments like this imply you believe the vaccines are actually making case counts worse. Maybe you do, but I've heard points like this from others and I feel like they're missing a couple important points. The first is I think it's fair to say vaccines don't prevent someone from getting COVID now with Delta and Omicron, but they do help to prevent severe disease and death. Looking at case counts, then, is kind of pointless. Hospitalization and death are the outcomes we should be trying to avoid. The second is that the countries with the highest vaccine rates are typically also wealthier with advanced economies. They were also the countries that shut down those economies and largely kept people at home, delaying the progression of infection across the population and reducing the number of people who acquired immunity through contact with the virus itself. Those advanced economies still have large swaths of the population with neither vaccine-acquired nor naturally-acquired immunity, providing more "virgin" hosts especially now that people have stopped giving a fuck about staying away from one another.
RE: bold. The data on this issue is going to take a long time to fully analyze, but there may be something to that statement. Why does one have to wait two weeks to be "fully vaccinated?" Well in the 2 weeks after dose 1 and dose two the population level data suggests that you may indeed be more likely to contract covid. I mean, back to 10th grade, this jives. You do a thing to weaken your immune system in the short term and you might catch a thing. If said thing is the dominate thing circulating out in the wild you immune system don't give a shit if you just took the vaccine against it...the antibodies aint ready. Population level data also suggests that the vaccine efficacy falls off after several months to a level that may not convey protection, hence the need for boosters. But now your thing has evolved and they won't be as effective, as you point out in great detail. Never mind the vaccine itself placed artificial pressure on the virus to evolve, thats a discussion for later.

But, even tho all the shit I just said is literally in the cdc documents, and inferred by the push for boosters... I'm the crazy anti science guy says many on here. :yeahok:

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:01 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:00 pm Day three and I'm done.. I feel like a million bucks with a bit of phlem in the lungs and a tapering off sore throat. Same shit as both kids.. :notbad:
:fuckyeah:
:dat:

glad to hear my dude.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:13 pm RE: bold. The data on this issue is going to take a long time to fully analyze, but there may be something to that statement. Why does one have to wait two weeks to be "fully vaccinated?" Well in the 2 weeks after dose 1 and dose two the population level data suggests that you may indeed be more likely to contract covid. I mean, back to 10th grade, this jives. You do a thing to weaken your immune system in the short term and you might catch a thing. If said thing is the dominate thing circulating out in the wild you immune system don't give a shit if you just took the vaccine against it...the antibodies aint ready. Population level data also suggests that the vaccine efficacy falls off after several months to a level that may not convey protection, hence the need for boosters. But now your thing has evolved and they won't be as effective, as you point out in great detail. Never mind the vaccine itself placed artificial pressure on the virus to evolve, thats a discussion for later.

But, even tho all the shit I just said is literally in the cdc documents, and inferred by the push for boosters... I'm the crazy anti science guy says many on here. :yeahok:
I guess we'll see. I now wish I hadn't ever gotten the vaccine considering I had the real thing back in November of 2020. As mutated as the virus is now, naturally-acquired immunity is your best bet moving forward if you're fortunate enough to have recovered fully. That said, I didn't have access to any alternative treatments either, and getting COVID wasn't very fun at all. I had close to two months of thinking I was going to have heart issues for the rest of my life, and had the vaccines been available prior to getting infected, I definitely would have chosen to get vaccinated.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

@coogles because i cant seem to quote. Life will go on and I'm sure you will be fine my dude. Im sure covid early on was zero fun, because by all accounts it was a more nasty virus than what circulates now. Also we had very little treatment experience.

See, the thing is Covid is doing the thing every respiratory virus ever does over time....its becoming more transmissible and less harmful. That's how it spreads and survives more successfully in an evolutionary sense.

I still would not sign up for the mass mRNA experiment that is being conducted but to each his own.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:36 pm @coogles because i cant seem to quote. Life will go on and I'm sure you will be fine my dude. Im sure covid early on was zero fun, because by all accounts it was a more nasty virus than what circulates now. Also we had very little treatment experience.

See, the thing is Covid is doing the thing every respiratory virus ever does over time....its becoming more transmissible and less harmful. That's how it spreads and survives more successfully in an evolutionary sense.

I still would not sign up for the mass mRNA experiment that is being conducted but to each his own.
:mahman:

Life will certainly go on, but if I keel over while playing hockey or trying to catch Zack on the Peloton, at least I have life insurance. :ohwell:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yep... sounds about right. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:52 pm
Yep... sounds about right. :like:
It's a nasty little bastard, but short lived at least.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Several of y'all in swing states voted for this. elections matter.

https://aaronsiri.substack.com/p/fda-re ... _9KKiBeA4k

Approved nearly instantly under EUA, safe and effective, but it's gonna take 75 years to release the data to the public and they FDA no-shows in court over covid-19 saftey concerns. I wonder what "they" are scared of in that data? Or is there nothing to be scared of, or they just don't want to admit they did basically no review and found something after the fact? Anyway, fuckery is afoot and if one can't even admit that these actions are wrong you are lost.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/healt ... fe92b7befa
He said every one in five beds is a COVID patient at his hospitals, with 95 percent of them being unvaccinated. His team is currently working on a plan in case that changes to one in five or one in three patients.
Maybe things will change and we start seeing a larger share of vaxxed patients in hospitals, but I've seen too many quotes just like this one to write off vaccination as the average person's best chance to safely get over a covid infection.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:41 am https://www.wthr.com/article/news/healt ... fe92b7befa
He said every one in five beds is a COVID patient at his hospitals, with 95 percent of them being unvaccinated. His team is currently working on a plan in case that changes to one in five or one in three patients.
Maybe things will change and we start seeing a larger share of vaxxed patients in hospitals, but I've seen too many quotes just like this one to write off vaccination as the average person's best chance to safely get over a covid infection.
I agree with most of this, would replace "average" with "higher risk" when addressing Omicron that we just had. I think it is C19 lite TBH
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:39 am
coogles wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:41 am https://www.wthr.com/article/news/healt ... fe92b7befa

I agree with most of this, would replace "average" with "higher risk" when addressing Omicron that we just had. I think it is C19 lite TBH
I think that's fair. I more meant "average person" to mean someone who doesn't have the connections of a Joe Rogan.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:39 am

I think that's fair. I more meant "average person" to mean someone who doesn't have the connections of a Joe Rogan.
Ok I get the context, makes sense!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

"He said every one in five beds is a COVID patient at his hospitals, with 95 percent of them being unvaccinated. "

I find it striking that one cannot find data to support this statement other than totals 'since the pandemic began' which include the period of time when no vaccine was available.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/cov ... comes.aspx

This data set which is more recent definitely supports the conclusion that the vaccines are providing protection, however there does not appear to be increased protection from death over the general protection, IE about the same percentage of breakthrough cases end up in the hospital vax vs unvax within the people whom get sick. one can get that ~95% number using the RATES, but the raw numbers are like 75% / 25% , clearly showing there is protection. And of course the caveat that this is an entirely different place than Indiana, but still. 95% dont pass my sniff test when its clear people with vaccine are in the hospital.

I'll also add, from link posted earlier, in aug/sept it WAS like 95%, and now looks to be falling. Which we expect for several reasons, including a less 'target rich environment' because all those unvaxxed, unwashed masses are obtaining natural immunity, and the falling efficacy of the vaccine.
:fax: are hard.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

"conspiracy theories" are sometimes just ahead of the curve on what is really going on.

Yall like New England Journal of medicine as a source?
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... oronavirus
As important as these vaccines are, however, their protective efficacy wanes over time, necessitating booster doses. Vaccination has also been unable to prevent “breakthrough” infections, allowing subsequent transmission to other people even when the vaccine prevents severe and fatal disease.

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/can ... hUKpE6DZRg

Is twitter going to ban the account of the New England Journal of medicine? How about David M. Morens, M.D., Jeffery K. Taubenberger, M.D., Ph.D., and Anthony S. Fauci, M.D.? Maybe reinstate Mr. Alex since he was r-r-right by virtue of just looking at the data?

No, they will do nothing and the Covid Carens will cheer them on for it.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:00 pm Brad's so far ahead of the curve, he spells Karen with a C.

:amaze:

Anyways, received my booster on Tuesday. Minor side effects; sore left shoulder at the injection site and mild tenderness of my left lymph node in my armpit. Even did a Peloton workout the day after my booster because I didn't feel any worse for the wear. I just kept my intensity at 90% or less instead of my typical 110%.

Other things: I know two twin brothers, both double vaxxed and very recently boosted, who have had breakthrough infections. They co-attended their brother's wedding (indoors, no masks, no precautions) in NH, and one of the groomsmen was likely patient 0 based on the infection pattern (brothers were in the wedding party, and now others at the wedding are beginning to test positive as well).

However, symptoms are all minor (runny nose, fatigue) with no complications as of right now, and everyone is quarantining responsibly.

Just sharing anecdotal evidence.
Keep us up to date on how your booster goes. The minor symptoms turn into pretty good ones soon enough, :popcorn: on :dat: too :lol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:17 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Keep us up to date on how your booster goes. The minor symptoms turn into pretty good ones soon enough, :popcorn: on :dat: too :lol:
Booster side effects are waning, shoulder soreness is about gone, left armpit lymph node weirdness is about 50% gone.

In terms of how things are going at Camp Covid: One of the brothers had a fever, he said it's waning; but also said his symptoms were the worst. His wife didn't sleep at all last night, coughed the whole night. He's stuck here in the US until he and his wife are cleared for travel back to Ireland.
Yeah, my booster side effects were NBD. Got it on a Saturday. Chills that evening. Fitful sleep that night. Fever the next day, Sunday. 100% normal by Monday morning and went in to work as usual. Sore arm for a couple days. Meh.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My Martini Hangover eliminated any booster side effects. :science: :micdrop:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I got my booster Monday morning. Felt fine all day, but close to bedtime I started getting a fever and chills. Fell asleep anyway, woke up around midnight feeling pretty uncomfortable and popped a couple Aleve. Once my fever broke I slept fine and when I woke up I felt peachy, and I set a 45 minute PR on the Peloton this morning. I didn't have any reactions at all to my first two rounds, but this time I got Moderna vs Pfizer for the first two. :iono:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:49 pm I got my booster Monday morning. Felt fine all day, but close to bedtime I started getting a fever and chills. Fell asleep anyway, woke up around midnight feeling pretty uncomfortable and popped a couple Aleve. Once my fever broke I slept fine and when I woke up I felt peachy, and I set a 45 minute PR on the Peloton this morning. I didn't have any reactions at all to my first two rounds, but this time I got Moderna vs Pfizer for the first two. :iono:
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:28 pmModerna definitely seems to :triggered: a stronger immune response.
I'd heard that from several people around the time when the first shots were starting to go out and actually sought out Pfizer because of it. Also definitely seems to be the case for me.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea ... s-covid-19

From the horses mouth … Pfizer stated it was pointless giving the 3-5 year olds a cancer shot :disgust:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:48 pm https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea ... s-covid-19

From the horses mouth … Pfizer stated it was pointless giving the 3-5 year olds a cancer shot :disgust:
People will still disagree. :lolol:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

My god this thread is a shitshow. Brad, I clicked on one of your links and I have to say, I don’t think you’re anti-science, I just don’t think you understand science at all. Max, that article you just linked doesn’t say what you said. At all.

I post this not to engage with those two really, as I know that is pointless. Just felt like I should say hi and make myself available for anyone who has read the stuff Brad posted or that article Max just did, and wants to have a conversation as to why I said what I just did.
:therapist:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I’m just here for a good time
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.