OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am I just need to locate the shutoff valve for my house. Probably best to know where that is anyway.
While yes, you should know where your main shutoff is, don't start hacking stuff off the plumbing under the sink trying to solve the problem.

First, get under there and wipe everything off really well

Then get a flashlight and watch WHERE and WHAT is leaking.

Like wap said, more than likely you've got a bad gasket or maybe not enough teflon tape around the main connection from the plumbing valve (assuming there is one since you already changed the faucet and don't know where the main shutoff is) to the faucet.

Kitchen faucets are the worst because they're usually tucked behind the sink and really difficult to get to. I've had cases where I had leaks because I just didn't tighten the faucet connections enough due to difficult access. Having a wide selection of channel locks, pipe wrenches, and the like helps a lot. I bought a bunch from HF years ago and they've been hugely helpful for plumbing.
Solid advice.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am I just need to locate the shutoff valve for my house. Probably best to know where that is anyway.
While yes, you should know where your main shutoff is, don't start hacking stuff off the plumbing under the sink trying to solve the problem.

Like wap said, more than likely you've got a bad gasket or maybe not enough teflon tape around the main connection from the plumbing valve (assuming there is one since you already changed the faucet and don't know where the main shutoff is) to the faucet.

Kitchen faucets are the worst because they're usually tucked behind the sink and really difficult to get to. I've had cases where I had leaks because I just didn't tighten the faucet connections enough due to difficult access. Having a wide selection of channel locks, pipe wrenches, and the like helps a lot. I bought a bunch from HF years ago and they've been hugely helpful for plumbing.
The faucet was definitely a problem, it isn't leaking from there anymore though, new install is all good. There are several issues with the cold water connection to the kitchen faucet I now see via observing the leaks:
1. The cold shut off valve lets a trickle through even when tightened all the way closed
2. There is a drip where the line to the fridge joins the faucet line
3. A connection from the shut off valve to the T where the fridge line comes out doesn't make a good connection. I already tried re-taping it with teflon, but I think it's just busted... it is like a copper tube with a floating nut that screws down onto the main cold water valve under the sink... not sure why it is built that way but seems like a :poop: design, it is leaking out of the top of the nut, not from the threaded part where the connection is made

:disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also the inside of the cabinet is pretty well ruined but at least you can't see that when they're closed/full... :ayfkm:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:54 pm

The faucet was definitely a problem, it isn't leaking from there anymore though, new install is all good. There are several issues with the cold water connection to the kitchen faucet I now see via observing the leaks:
1. The cold shut off valve lets a trickle through even when tightened all the way closed
3. A connection from the shut off valve to the T where the fridge line comes out doesn't make a good connection. I already tried re-taping it with teflon, but I think it's just busted... it is like a copper tube with a floating nut that screws down onto the main cold water valve under the sink... not sure why it is built that way but seems like a :poop: design, it is leaking out of the top of the nut, not from the threaded part where the connection is made

Shut off valve is toast. There's a chance that it just screws on, but if it's soldered on, you can cut it off and use a quick connect ("sharkbite" is a name brand) shut-off. A bit more expensive, but stupid easy to install AND it's easily removable if there's issues down the road. I've used these fittings in a lot of plumbing projects with 5/7 results. Just replaced my water heater and the plumbing with it a month ago all with PEX and sharkbite, been 5/7.

Yea, those things are shitty, it's possible it's cracked. Replacing with PEX is rather easy, they make kits for it that include the T...

Yep, I've had those fail. You probably just want to replace it all with a fridge water line kit. Not that expensive and really simple to use. Just could be a pain to run the new line, but depends how far away your fridge is.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Talk about a :wasteful: never-ending project/moneypit...

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:30 pm

Shut off valve is toast. There's a chance that it just screws on, but if it's soldered on, you can cut it off and use a quick connect ("sharkbite" is a name brand) shut-off. A bit more expensive, but stupid easy to install AND it's easily removable if there's issues down the road. I've used these fittings in a lot of plumbing projects with 5/7 results. Just replaced my water heater and the plumbing with it a month ago all with PEX and sharkbite, been 5/7.

Yea, those things are shitty, it's possible it's cracked. Replacing with PEX is rather easy, they make kits for it that include the T...

Yep, I've had those fail. You probably just want to replace it all with a fridge water line kit. Not that expensive and really simple to use. Just could be a pain to run the new line, but depends how far away your fridge is.
Thanks, man!

Took me a minute to locate the water shut off... in the master bedroom closet, funny.

I am going to head to HD for my 'lunch' break and try to get this :bs: fixed.
wap

When's he coming back? :(

All great advice, BTW.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:48 pm Talk about a :wasteful: never-ending project/moneypit...

:disgust: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:53 pm

When's he coming back? :(

All great advice, BTW.
I've done this too many times :|

I'll shoot pex a text to make sure everything is going well with his move.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:48 pm Talk about a :wasteful: never-ending project/moneypit...

My little Gayliner is enough, I can't imagine something like that. :disgust: :nope: I really don't understand boats this size unless you're mega rich and can live on it for a while. Then if you're mega rich, you just buy a new one so you don't have to deal with this shit.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Sup ya'll figured I'd pop in for a bit and say hello. What's new?

Not much new out here, we're finally through summer and it was a surprisingly decent fire season which was nice. Because most fires were pretty far away from residences.

Drought is still a thing though.
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:41 pm Sup ya'll figured I'd pop in for a bit and say hello. What's new?

Not much new out here, we're finally through summer and it was a surprisingly decent fire season which was nice. Because most fires were pretty far away from residences.

:wtf:
:whalecum: back, :225: :P :like:
max225

wap wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:43 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:41 pm Sup ya'll figured I'd pop in for a bit and say hello. What's new?

HOLA, I have some catching up to do... expect major car shit posts.
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:53 pm
wap wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:43 pm

HOLA, I have some catching up to do... expect major car shit posts.
:popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:fuckyeah: man, glad to see you back.

Pretty much same old, same old for me, been applying for jobs and nothing has quite stuck yet, looks like if I stick around I will get a moderate promotion around December/January here.

Been :aintcare: in the Beemah and riding bikes a lot, fall is starting in NC which is quite :nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I seem to have gotten all of the :bs: worked out, and I now know what compression fittings and shit are. I replaced the shut-off valve as well as the valve going to the fridge line. I also cut down the fridge line and put a new fitting on the end. It took me a minute in HD to figure out what I needed exactly, and what I could make work with the inventory they had, but it all seems to be leak free and :tits: likes the :fancy: new faucet. That along with no plumber rape fees, I'll consider it a win.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:33 pm

Well, I seem to have gotten all of the :bs: worked out, and I now know what compression fittings and shit are. I replaced the shut-off valve as well as the valve going to the fridge line. I also cut down the fridge line and put a new fitting on the end. It took me a minute in HD to figure out what I needed exactly, and what I could make work with the inventory they had, but it all seems to be leak free and :tits: likes the :fancy: new faucet. That along with no plumber rape fees, I'll consider it a win.
:fuckyeah:
A successful DIY fix is always :megusta: Nice work.
wap

Whelp, mom was released from the hospital on Wednesday and is now at the rehab facility which is affiliated with her hospital and also her retirement community, so that's progress. She would have been out a day or so sooner, but she developed a UTI, which is no bueno, so they had to get that under control first. She's still not eating great but we're working on it. I keep telling her she needs to eat brotean to regain her :massles: and to help her bone, muscle, and skin heal from the surgery, and the stronger she gets, the earlier she can go home. It's funny how these things eventually come full circle. When I was a young kid she would nag me to get me to eat, and now it's the other way around. :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:31 pm Whelp, mom was released from the hospital on Wednesday and is now at the rehab facility which is affiliated with her hospital and also her retirement community, so that's progress. She would have been out a day or so sooner, but she developed a UTI, which is no bueno, so they had to get that under control first. She's still not eating great but we're working on it. I keep telling her she needs to eat brotean to regain her :massles: and to help her bone, muscle, and skin heal from the surgery, and the stronger she gets, the earlier she can go home. It's funny how these things eventually come full circle. When I was a young kid she would nag me to get me to eat, and now it's the other way around. :lolol:
Glad to hear there is at least forward momentum! :massles: are key.

My :fatty: has NEVER had to be told to eat more in my life :lolol: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Yep, certainly some gratification with learning something new, working with your hands, and accomplishing. The nice, pretty looking new faucet is a beneshit as well.

Worth the frustration? :notsure: But the satisfaction PLUS a few hunnit saved is worthwhile.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Pretty much same old, same old for me, been applying for jobs and nothing has quite stuck yet, looks like if I stick around I will get a moderate promotion around December/January here.

Been :aintcare: in the Beemah and riding bikes a lot, fall is starting in NC which is quite :nice:
Whoa another promo !! Congrats :)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Whoa another promo !! Congrats :)
We shall see what actually happens...
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:31 pm Whelp, mom was released from the hospital on Wednesday and is now at the rehab facility which is affiliated with her hospital and also her retirement community, so that's progress. She would have been out a day or so sooner, but she developed a UTI, which is no bueno, so they had to get that under control first. She's still not eating great but we're working on it. I keep telling her she needs to eat brotean to regain her :massles: and to help her bone, muscle, and skin heal from the surgery, and the stronger she gets, the earlier she can go home. It's funny how these things eventually come full circle. When I was a young kid she would nag me to get me to eat, and now it's the other way around. :lolol:
Glad to hear there is at least forward momentum! :massles: are key.

My :fatty: has NEVER had to be told to eat more in my life :lolol: .
:lolol:

Thanks. We're hopeful she can rehab her way back to her old quality of life for her remaining years. She's walking a little more every day so that's good.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:42 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Yep, certainly some gratification with learning something new, working with your hands, and accomplishing. The nice, pretty looking new faucet is a beneshit as well.

Worth the frustration? :notsure: But the satisfaction PLUS a few hunnit saved is worthwhile.
:dat: is worth a LOT IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

:fuckyeah: nice dude!

Plumbing really isn't rocket science, I can't imagine paying a plumber to fix this sort of dumb shit.