OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:32 pm Anyone here happen to know anything about Cruise? The autonomous vehicle company owned by GM, not the scientologist. The wife got contacted about a (non-software) position there recently and the only info about the company on glassdoor/etc is for software people.
Can she WFH?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:32 pm Anyone here happen to know anything about Cruise? The autonomous vehicle company owned by GM, not the scientologist. The wife got contacted about a (non-software) position there recently and the only info about the company on glassdoor/etc is for software people.
Can she WFH?
Yeah, it's mostly a pay area software company. The hiring manager is in Indiana somewhere. Some travel is likely eventually :doe:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 pm
wap wrote:
Can she WFH?
Yeah, it's mostly a pay area software company. The hiring manager is in Indiana somewhere. Some travel is likely eventually :doe:
:notbad:
Good luck to her!
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 pm Yeah, it's mostly a pay area software company. The hiring manager is in Indiana somewhere. Some travel is likely eventually :doe:
Good luck to her!
Fortunately she doesn't need a job, but in theory it would be good to get one step further away from auto manufacturing and closer to software since that is the only thing making any money for the foreseeable future. (plus doctors, lawyers, and politicians...)
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 pm

Yes. Earlier this spring there was a baby garter snake in the yard that my son just scooped up without hesitation. It bite him a few times and the boy gave no fucks. He then wanted a pet snake. We went to a reptile expo and a few stores before getting a normal ball python. My daughter loves them too.

We have the snake in a glass tank right now but I bought it a new bigger cage yesterday. Now I have to get more hides and water bowls/vines etc.

Really want to go bioactive but not sure I need that extra chore rn.
:fuckyeah: Reptiles are fascinating.
What are you feeding it? Got a heat lamp or hot stone?
Yeah. Frozen thawed rats right now. He was 77g when we got him. Now he's about 185. I'm feeding him a lot at the moment. Every 5 days a rat that is about 1.5x the widest part of his body. I say "he" but we aren't sure if it's male or female.

We have a heat pad on a thermostat and a ceramic heat emitter on his "warm" side.

Do you have reptiles?
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm
wap wrote:
Good luck to her!
Fortunately she doesn't need a job, but in theory it would be good to get one step further away from auto manufacturing and closer to software since that is the only thing making any money for the foreseeable future. (plus doctors, lawyers, and politicians...)
Sometimes, because the world is cruel, it's easier to get a job when you already have a job.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:05 pm
wap wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:23 pm
:fuckyeah: Reptiles are fascinating.
What are you feeding it? Got a heat lamp or hot stone?
Yeah. Frozen thawed rats right now. He was 77g when we got him. Now he's about 185. I'm feeding him a lot at the moment. Every 5 days a rat that is about 1.5x the widest part of his body. I say "he" but we aren't sure if it's male or female.

We have a heat pad on a thermostat and a ceramic heat emitter on his "warm" side.

Do you have reptiles?
I had turtles many years ago, when I was in high school. They were midland painteds. Looked like this (not my pci):
They were pretty little things, living in my biology class in HS and I volunteered to take them home over Christmas break to take care of them. They were living in a shitty environment. There were 4 of them in a small fish tank with just a couple inches of cold water and they were fed a bit of lettuce once a week. Fortunately, after we came back from Christmas break, we for some reason had a different, new teacher who didn't know anything about any turtles so I just kept them :lolol: . Since they were aquatic, I got them a large, 55 gallon aquarium with a heater and powerful filter to keep their water clean and warm, and built a platform with an astroturf ramp they could crawl out on to sun themselves under a heat lamp, which I had on a timer so they could have day and night. I fed them raw hamburger, raw smelts, lettuce, and, as an occasional treat, feeder goldfish which they loved to hunt down and eat. They were absolutely fascinating to keep. I eventually added a red-eared slider that I got for Christmas from a buddy. They all got along pretty well since they all lived in the same type of environment. Had them for over 15 years.

Here's what a red-eared slider looks like (again, not my pic):
You can see where they get their name from.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Household started up Hello Fresh. It’s a so far great option to avoid grocery shopping.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:05 pm

Do you have reptiles?
I had turtles many years ago, when I was in high school. They were midland painteds. Looked like this (not my pci):
They were pretty little things, living in my biology class in HS and I volunteered to take them home over Christmas break to take care of them. They were living in a shitty environment. There were 4 of them in a small fish tank with just a couple inches of cold water and they were fed a bit of lettuce once a week. Fortunately, after we came back from Christmas break, we for some reason had a different, new teacher who didn't know anything about any turtles so I just kept them :lolol: . Since they were aquatic, I got them a large, 55 gallon aquarium with a heater and powerful filter to keep their water clean and warm, and built a platform with an astroturf ramp they could crawl out on to sun themselves under a heat lamp, which I had on a timer so they could have day and night. I fed them raw hamburger, raw smelts, lettuce, and, as an occasional treat, feeder goldfish which they loved to hunt down and eat. They were absolutely fascinating to keep. I eventually added a red-eared slider that I got for Christmas from a buddy. They all got along pretty well since they all lived in the same type of environment. Had them for over 15 years.

Very cool. I had initially wanted to get a turtle as a pet for my son but their husbandry is a lot more involved with supplement tablets and UV light requirements etc,(at least from my understanding). I wanted red eared slider as a matter of fact.

The python is so easy to take care of and ours is the most docile and friendly snake you could hope for. One knock on ball pythons is they can be hard to feed but ours eats like clockwork. If he's a female, he'll get about 5 feet long. Males are about 4 ft. Very easy to handle for one person. I have been looking at red tail boas though. I'd really like to have one of those big boys but we have too many animals right now. Also been eyeing some tarantulas but the wife put her foot down on that one, no pun intended.

I got him this yesterday. So pumped to put him in there. I bought it second hand from someone at the zoo. So it's being cleaned and disinfected before I put my guy in there.

https://www.visionproducts.us/products/ ... -332-cage/
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Anyone here into hot sauces? Found a brand called Small Axe Peppers that makes some great sauces.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 pm
wap wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Very cool. I had initially wanted to get a turtle as a pet for my son but their husbandry is a lot more involved with supplement tablets and UV light requirements etc,(at least from my understanding). I wanted red eared slider as a matter of fact.

The python is so easy to take care of and ours is the most docile and friendly snake you could hope for. One knock on ball pythons is they can be hard to feed but ours eats like clockwork. If he's a female, he'll get about 5 feet long. Males are about 4 ft. Very easy to handle for one person. I have been looking at red tail boas though. I'd really like to have one of those big boys but we have too many animals right now. Also been eyeing some tarantulas but the wife put her foot down on that one, no pun intended.

I got him this yesterday. So pumped to put him in there. I bought it second hand from someone at the zoo. So it's being cleaned and disinfected before I put my guy in there.

https://www.visionproducts.us/products/ ... -332-cage/
Yeah, needing to create an aquatic environment makes them trickier and more work than a terrarium. It was a BITCH to to empty and clean that 55 gallon tank and scrub the rocks and clean the filter, etc. Don't miss that at all. Glad your guy is so easy and easy going. Sounds like a lot of fun. I love how snakes feel. 4-5 ft seems like a manageable size, too. How big do red tail boas get?

That looks like a cool enclosure you got there. In4pics when (s)he's all moved in.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I don't, but I would say just take the interview and see where it goes. You can learn more in a 30 minute call than you can on Glassdoor in many cases. Maybe Chris or Mario know more :doe: being in the industry.

If she wants to get into software, going to a software company is likely a good move. That said, I always thought it would be easier to change roles once you're in a company, but I'm :notsure: I believe that anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:35 pm Household started up Hello Fresh. It’s a so far great option to avoid grocery shopping.
Check out Every Plate as well, it's basically the same thing but $20 less/week. It has a few disadvantages - you have to cut up stuff like garlic that comes in a full clove (like a little onion) and Hello Fresh it's pre-peeled.

:iono: those kits are :notbad: We like to get them for a few weeks every few months to mix it up and get some new cooking ideas, but overall I am too lazy to do them every week and they are a bit more costly than Aldi food. I also sort of felt guilty about all of the packaging.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm Anyone here into hot sauces? Found a brand called Small Axe Peppers that makes some great sauces.
:lolol: My wife and I were just talking about hot sauces on Sunday. I enjoy them for sure, tough to pick favorites when there are so many good ones that can go with different things well.

I like:
Texas Pete (made here in NC) and it's a good standby basic that can go with most things. It's not a standout, but just solid
Franks: good for wing sauce
Chili garlic sauce: so good on stir fries and such
Siracha: also good for stir fries, rice, etc
Valentina: great on chili and nachos
Taco Bell Hot: great on taco bell
Trader Joe's Green Dragon: this is so delicious and a favorite of mine

Those are a few, nothing too boutique, but :megusta:

Ones I think are trash:
Tabasco: it is just shit
Crystal: slightly less shitty shit
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Cruise is GMs bet on autonomous. They acquired the company a number of years ago and have somehow managed to keep it rather separate from GM, which is good. I tried to get in there when I worked at GM, and it was pretty much like I had zero affiliation with the place. As such, I imagine the culture is very tech bro, which is probably a good thing as she looks to distance herself from the dead in person fields of old money manufacturing. It could actually be a great stepping stone for her into the new world.

If she's looking for interview tips, GM is all about culture, teamwork, and diversity right now. If she goes heavy into those areas, it think it would work well for her.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am
I don't, but I would say just take the interview and see where it goes. You can learn more in a 30 minute call than you can on Glassdoor in many cases. Maybe Chris or Mario know more :doe: being in the industry.

If she wants to get into software, going to a software company is likely a good move. That said, I always thought it would be easier to change roles once you're in a company, but I'm :notsure: I believe that anymore.
Depends if the company even does work in a field you want to get into. Traditional manufacturing is dead here, getting out of that is very smart.

But I will caution that indeed moving around in a company, especially one that's on the smaller side with ambiguous roles and responsibilities can be tough. Pretty sure there's zero movement in my new company, but I'm just in it for the experience on the resume anyway so :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm Anyone here into hot sauces? Found a brand called Small Axe Peppers that makes some great sauces.
:lolol: My wife and I were just talking about hot sauces on Sunday. I enjoy them for sure, tough to pick favorites when there are so many good ones that can go with different things well.

I like:
Texas Pete (made here in NC) and it's a good standby basic that can go with most things. It's not a standout, but just solid

Ones I think are trash:
I bought a massive bottle of Valentina extra hot from the Mexican market for like $3 a year ago. It goes on everything, it's all I need.

Sriracha goes on anything asian :doe:

The rest is overpriced meh.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am

I like:

Ones I think are trash:
I bought a massive bottle of Valentina extra hot from the Mexican market for like $3 a year ago. It goes on everything, it's all I need.

That’s mostly why I avoid the boutique stuff… tiny bottle for $7 is tough to swallow (pun intended?).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:31 am

Depends if the company even does work in a field you want to get into. Traditional manufacturing is dead here, getting out of that is very smart.

But I will caution that indeed moving around in a company, especially one that's on the smaller side with ambiguous roles and responsibilities can be tough. Pretty sure there's zero movement in my new company, but I'm just in it for the experience on the resume anyway so :aintcare:
I get a major sense of “we need you too much in your current role to let you go “ at the current place. I guess we’ll see how it goes, I’m waiting on something else popping up internally and we’ll see what happens. I was pretty set on the BIZ Dev Manager pathway but when they passed me over and kept punting me, I’m now just sort of meh on it. I think I’d like to get out of sales one day or at least sell products I give a shit about and like. It’s a tough business selling shit with zero :koolaid: in the blood stream.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 am

That’s mostly why I avoid the boutique stuff… tiny bottle for $7 is tough to swallow (pun intended?).
Yep. And while it's good, I'm not sure it's THAT good.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:02 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 am

I get a major sense of “we need you too much in your current role to let you go “ at the current place. I guess we’ll see how it goes, I’m waiting on something else popping up internally and we’ll see what happens. I was pretty set on the BIZ Dev Manager pathway but when they passed me over and kept punting me, I’m now just sort of meh on it. I think I’d like to get out of sales one day or at least sell products I give a shit about and like. It’s a tough business selling shit with zero :koolaid: in the blood stream.
That's the problem when you do well in a job, managers don't want to "lose you". The only time I've been able to have open discussions around moving was in my last gig when my boss and I hated each other. But that animosity just made me want to leave the company and not even consider staying. I think that's how most people approach the "you're too essential in your current role" response to career development. And for you, it sounds like you are indeed very valuable to your team in your current role.

Which sucks the big one, you've been doing the same thing (mostly) for a while now, it's perfectly reasonable for you to want more. They may force you to leave, which is sad.

THAT SAID

I've said it before and I'll say it again, culture is critical at the workplace and the hardest thing to find a match for. If everything is lining up for you at your current place other than your role, you may want to give them more slack. If you can just tune out and get your job done for the rest of the year, maybe hit them up if/when you talk about 2022 goals or something?
wap

Waiting in my cardiologist office. :disgust:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Boss pretty much let me have the last two weeks off with everything going on with mom without charging any leave. He just asked that I check in every day and have email up to respond to anything urgent. He made sure the rest of my small team covered for me. Watching emails, it was a pretty slow two weeks and they didn’t have to do much for me, but I brought in donuts today as a thank you to them.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

This isn't a software job, even techbro companies still hire a few MBAs for leveraging unique synergies. They just don't pay them as much AFAIK, nor do they have the same interview process or work environment which is why the glassdoor type sites aren't as helpful.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am Boss pretty much let me have the last two weeks off with everything going on with mom without charging any leave. He just asked that I check in every day and have email up to respond to anything urgent. He made sure the rest of my small team covered for me. Watching emails, it was a pretty slow two weeks and they didn’t have to do much for me, but I brought in donuts today as a thank you to them.
That's fantastic!