OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:51 pm

I think there’s just so much fierce competition with restaurants in New York City that it keeps the prices reasonable. I do find that you generally just hemorrhage more money there though, getting around gets expensive if you ever don’t have time to deal with the subway or need to go somewhere where it’s inconvenient. If you ever take a car in there parking is crazy expensive and a huge pain in the ass as well. Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it so much though, that is awesome! It is definitely a great place.

:jelly: of the 🍕

:fatty:
so much this. Getting into manhattan alone is like $16 to enter with EZ pass last time I went, god knows how much it will be now. I remember paying $50 per night on parking in certain parking garages as well, and cars like Tahoes, Range rovers and the like costs 50% more. Next time if I go by car, I'll most likely park somewhere around Hoboken (particularly in a designated space) and take a boat across the river (cause Istanbul instincts). Parking in DC is literally a breeze in comparison. I know a few people in Istanbul park on a designated paid parking lot near the pier for boats that goes across the channel to avoid the traffic and tolls; especially when they're going to a district thats more walk friendly rather than car.

Also parking in DC apartments with garages are around $120-160 a month, i'd imagine is about as much as a nfg car payment in NY if offered with a garage.
Yep, I remember staying in Secaucus with the Bang Bus years ago and having to drive it into the city to do demos, it was some outrageous amount to go through the Lincoln tunnel, like $28 I think.

Sometimes you just have to drive though, you need to bring/pick up things from work, coming from somewhere without train access, etc. It's definitely best avoided :doe:

The subway commute would get pretty old with time though. I used to stay in the Upper East Side and commute to our office on it, it's efficient but it's so crowded you can barely move and people get all pissy if your backpack rubs against them or something. God forbid you have a suitcase, it becomes a full on :triggered: fest. It's also hot and whatnot. I would rather just bike, but that is sort of terrifying in New York. Subway is pretty decent in off peak hours :doe:
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Hey everyone!

checking in, been busy in my end.

Cool to see all the NYC talk, I was there for 5 days or so over the holiday weekend. Live close enough to NYC and never get tired of it.

On the topic of parking, i recommend using the app called Parkwiz. Parking prices are still ridiculous but managed to find a spot for $102 for 3 nights.

Also, the staten Island Ferry parking is a good alternative if youre just gonna be there for a day. IIRC its $12 or so for full a day and then the ferry ride over is free.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:10 pm Hey everyone!

Cool to see all the NYC talk, I was there for 5 days or so over the holiday weekend. Live close enough to NYC and never get tired of it.

On the topic of parking, i recommend using the app called Parkwiz. Parking prices are still ridiculous but managed to find a spot for $102 for 3 nights.

Also, the staten Island Ferry parking is a good alternative if youre just gonna be there for a day. IIRC its $12 or so for full a day and then the ferry ride over is free.
My wife uses Parkwiz here in Chicago occasionally, for the rare occasions that she/we have to go downtown. Works really well and usually finds some :scrooge: parking :dill:

And :hai: , BTW.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Hey guise. Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes.

Got up here Thursday night, and it was scary seeing mom. Thought that that night would be it for her for sure. She made it through the night and actually looked much better the next day. Two of my other sister's flew in Friday evening so the whole family is here, which is nice.

Mom kept talking about being here on the 18th to see the wedding, so I made to sure reiterate that she didn't need to hang on until then if she felt ready to go before then. But she's fucking stubborn, like me, and I knew she'd will herself to stay alive. I didn't want to be the reason she stayed in pain any longer than she needed to, so I was getting ready to just tell her that we decided we couldn't pull it off in time and that way she could leave when she's ready... we could secretly plan the wedding in the background, and if she was still here, awesome.. if not, we would just wait and do a full blown thing next year sometime. As I talked to Michelle about doing this she had the completely selfless idea of doing an even smaller ceremony and moving the wedding up to this Wednesday after we get our marriage license. So we're getting married tomorrow evening! My sisters will all be here, one of my BIL's is going to fly in, and her parents, sister, and grandma will drive up. Really awesome of all of them to support my dream of letting my mom be there for the day and for them to all make so many sacrifices to make it happen.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:07 pm Hey guise. Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes.

Got up here Thursday night, and it was scary seeing mom. Thought that that night would be it for her for sure. She made it through the night and actually looked much better the next day. Two of my other sister's flew in Friday evening so the whole family is here, which is nice.

Mom kept talking about being here on the 18th to see the wedding, so I made to sure reiterate that she didn't need to hang on until then if she felt ready to go before then. But she's fucking stubborn, like me, and I knew she'd will herself to stay alive. I didn't want to be the reason she stayed in pain any longer than she needed to, so I was getting ready to just tell her that we decided we couldn't pull it off in time and that way she could leave when she's ready... we could secretly plan the wedding in the background, and if she was still here, awesome.. if not, we would just wait and do a full blown thing next year sometime. As I talked to Michelle about doing this she had the completely selfless idea of doing an even smaller ceremony and moving the wedding up to this Wednesday after we get our marriage license. So we're getting married tomorrow evening! My sisters will all be here, one of my BIL's is going to fly in, and her parents, sister, and grandma will drive up. Really awesome of all of them to support my dream of letting my mom be there for the day and for them to all make so many sacrifices to make it happen.
Man, tough to hear that your mom is suffering so much, but I'm glad you have the family all together. Also I would say you are marrying an awesome woman based on this. Weddings are a big deal to most females and the fact that she is willing to put all of that aside for you and your mom and your family, is pretty incredible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hey man, thanks for stopping by! It's been a bit slow around here, we'd love to hear more from you.

I imagine most of my NYC trips moving forward will be flying, but I'll keep the Staten Island Ferry parking in mind. That is often the way in many cities. I prefer to just ride my bike downtown anytime I go here, but :tits: isn't always in for that. We can also park at the light rail station by our house for free (could walk but it is kind of sketchy) and ride into town, which is 5/7 when needed.

What is new with you :mahman: ?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:07 pm Hey guise. Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes.

This is awful and heartbreaking and amazing and heartwarming all at once.

Her being there will make this more memorable than any other big celebration, Guaranteed. I’m sorry you’re all going through this but you guys are strong as hell. WIfey and I send our best.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:31 pm

Man, tough to hear that your mom is suffering so much, but I'm glad you have the family all together. Also I would say you are marrying an awesome woman based on this. Weddings are a big deal to most females and the fact that she is willing to put all of that aside for you and your mom and your family, is pretty incredible.
Absolutely man. I hadn’t even thought of moving the wedding up, and as soon as I approached her about telling mom we were calling it off she threw that idea out there. Incredibly selfless of her.

I’ll hire her a wedding planner and make sure next year she gets the wedding of her dreams in return for this.
SAWCE

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:44 pm

This is awful and heartbreaking and amazing and heartwarming all at once.

Her being there will make this more memorable than any other big celebration, Guaranteed. I’m sorry you’re all going through this but you guys are strong as hell. WIfey and I send our best.
:wub: thanks man!
wap

That sounds pretty fantastic of Michelle to suggest that, and for both your extended families to accommodate the last minute change of plans. I'm sure momma :sawce: really appreciates it. Have an awesome time tomorrow!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

We finally had our wedding reception last Thursday. I'll be honest in that I thought we were going to have the worst luck ever since Ida steamrolled through the area Wednesday and a ton of places had flooded out. But we couldn't have asked for a better day on Thursday. It was sunny, 72, and zero humidity to entire day. We were told by the guests and vendors alike that it was one of the best weddings that they had ever gone to.
I also may have created a new wedding trend: instead of doing the usual fare of Sinatra and such for the dinner hour, I worked with the DJ and compiled a montage of TV show theme songs. The DJ said a bunch of vendors were asking him for the playset. Other moments included tyrannosaurus cake toppers and us cutting the cake to the Jurassic Park theme, us Rickrolling our parents as they were announced, and me having all the couples come out to the dance floor for a song dedication:

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

That's incredibly sweet of you. I know your mother means the world to you and having her there will make a great memory for you and Michelle.
I wish I could attend, but I wish you the best man!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:28 am We finally had our wedding reception last Thursday. I'll be honest in that I thought we were going to have the worst luck ever since Ida steamrolled through the area Wednesday and a ton of places had flooded out. But we couldn't have asked for a better day on Thursday. It was sunny, 72, and zero humidity to entire day. We were told by the guests and vendors alike that it was one of the best weddings that they had ever gone to.
I also may have created a new wedding trend: instead of doing the usual fare of Sinatra and such for the dinner hour, I worked with the DJ and compiled a montage of TV show theme songs. The DJ said a bunch of vendors were asking him for the playset. Other moments included tyrannosaurus cake toppers and us cutting the cake to the Jurassic Park theme, us Rickrolling our parents as they were announced, and me having all the couples come out to the dance floor for a song dedication:

Hell yeah man! I'm glad it worked out well for you! Honestly, I have no regrets about our wedding, it's a lot of stress leading up to it and a lot of dough, but certainly a special day you could never replicate or experience in any other way that you'll remember forever.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

It’s been a few years since I went to NY with my own car, Ive heard about park wiz so that’s definitely gonna be in the cards for sure.

How’s it been post(ish)-pandemic, I hear endless lease available signs left and right.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:33 pm

Hey man, thanks for stopping by! It's been a bit slow around here, we'd love to hear more from you.

I imagine most of my NYC trips moving forward will be flying, but I'll keep the Staten Island Ferry parking in mind. That is often the way in many cities. I prefer to just ride my bike downtown anytime I go here, but :tits: isn't always in for that. We can also park at the light rail station by our house for free (could walk but it is kind of sketchy) and ride into town, which is 5/7 when needed.

It’s all about a dollar greyhound bus rides for me, had one of those long ago, but it was quite uncomfortable lmao. Just as quick as driving there
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Super glad to hear that she will be witnessing one of your most important milestones of all. Kinda :eeyore: and :fuckyeah: at the same time.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:47 pm

It’s been a few years since I went to NY with my own car, Ive heard about park wiz so that’s definitely gonna be in the cards for sure.

How’s it been post(ish)-pandemic, I hear endless lease available signs left and right.
Well I mean, I dont live in NYC. However, do have a few friends that do. The city is coming back pretty strong. Rent prices are going up again.

but yea Parkwiz for parking is a good option.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Yea, good to check in when I can. NYC is pretty good for bike riding for sure.

Nothing too exciting, was just enjoying summer time. And recovering from my surgery.
wap

09vdubgti wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:10 pm

Nothing too exciting, was just enjoying summer time. And recovering from my surgery.
Deets.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:37 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:10 pm

Deets.
This was my nose surgery I got back in April. I have my check up next week, I was supposed to be fully cleared. But on my last follow up, the doctor said I still have some swelling. I had an infection in my sinuses causing a few things like headaches. And my septum was deviated.
wap

09vdubgti wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:06 pm
wap wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Deets.
This was my nose surgery I got back in April. I have my check up next week, I was supposed to be fully cleared. But on my last follow up, the doctor said I still have some swelling. I had an infection in my sinuses causing a few things like headaches. And my septum was deviated.
Got it. Just curious. Thanks for 'splainin'. :like:
Good luck with your follow up next week. I've got a follow up for my surgery from a couple years ago the week after next. :popcorn:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

bought some shitImage
wap

rockchops wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:01 pm bought some shitImage
That's a sharp looking wheel. :like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:01 pm bought some shitImage
The saturn I presume?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

09vdubgti wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:00 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:47 pm

Well I mean, I dont live in NYC. However, do have a few friends that do. The city is coming back pretty strong. Rent prices are going up again.

but yea Parkwiz for parking is a good option.
Thats :notbad: even though I keep hearing people are fleeing NY to FL, particularly Boca Raton or Miami.

Our rents have increased in the nations capital. Now that we will be having our amazon headquarters in 2025 (as projected) :thisisfine: :stonks: